Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Brewing Potsize

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭ Carawaystick

Is there anywhere to buy a 30L induction brewpot in Ireland?

http://www.hughjordan.com/en/336-litre-pujadas-stainless-steel-stockpot

You can get almost anything once you have the readies for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 VinylJunkie

That's steep alright, will look in the UK so.

My brew has been fermenting now for 2 days, do you think it's too cold? I have it wrapped in a blanket. FNaB3wH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭ loyatemu

no - 18 is perfect.

So I plan on dry hopping this, I've a couple of questions.

When fermentation finishes, should the krausen/foam fall into the beer so I can see liquid at the top of the fermentor?

I bought a nylon hop bag, I was planning on putting the dry hop pellets into this and just throwing on top of the beer. Do I need to weigh down the bag? (Seeing plenty of opinions on this online)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BeerNut

should the krausen/foam fall into the beer so I can see liquid at the top of the fermentor?
    It will.
    I was planning on putting the dry hop pellets into this and just throwing on top of the beer.
    I don't see the point of putting pellets in a bag. The pellets will just break apart anyway.

So I'll just chuck the pellets on top when fermentation finishes, planning on dry hopping for 5 days all in the primary FV.

Next stage question - I'm going to syphon the beer into a bottling FV, but before I do I'm going to dilute the appropriate amount of corn sugar with water and pour into the bottling FV to carbonate the beer. Give it a gentle stir so as not to airate the beer, leave sit for 10mins then start bottling.
    Does this sound correct?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭ irish_goat

So I'll just chuck the pellets on top when fermentation finishes, planning on dry hopping for 5 days all in the primary FV.

Next stage question - I'm going to syphon the beer into a bottling FV, but before I do I'm going to dilute the appropriate amount of corn sugar with water and pour into the bottling FV to carbonate the beer. Give it a gentle stir so as not to airate the beer, leave sit for 10mins then start bottling.
    Does this sound correct?

I never bother stirring it, if you syphon on top of the sugar solution it'll mix up grand. Otherwise, sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 RasTa

Use a bag with pellet hops, they are a pain in the arse when siphoning into your bottle bucket

RasTa wrote: »
    Use a bag with pellet hops, they are a pain in the arse when siphoning into your bottle bucket
    So it's easier to take the bag off the top of the beer before syphoning?

I bought an auto syphon, I assume I put that half way into the FV so I don't disturb the sediment at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BeerNut

I'll defer to your experience on this one :)
    I bought an auto syphon, I assume I put that half way into the FV so I don't disturb the sediment at the bottom.
    Put it right down to the base. It's designed so it doesn't suck up what's on the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,760 ✭✭✭✭ Lovely Bloke

boil the sugar/water solution, or it could introduce infection

Do you put a sanitized spoon or something in the bag to weigh it down or not?

Do you put a sanitized spoon or something in the bag to weigh it down or not?

I use a few snooker balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭ BeardySi

I use a few snooker balls

Surely OTT? I've found a single spoon in the bag is enough to weigh it down.

So my OG was about 1.04, just tested it there and its 1.008 so about 4.2% which I'm happy with.

Thing is the beer is quite cloudy in the tester, anything I can do to help clear it? I don't have a spare fridge to cold crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,760 ✭✭✭✭ Lovely Bloke

bottle it then put the bottles in the fridge is the only thing that you can do really now.

Treadhead wrote: »
    Surely OTT? I've found a single spoon in the bag is enough to weigh it down.

The bag I use is pretty big so just floats if I add a spoon.

Update on this, Fermentation has finished, I threw the bag of hops in earlier with a sanitised spoon (need something heavier next time)

Does it look ok?

IMAG0389.jpg

Advertisement