Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

O&F do a great breakfast, coffee is the best I've had in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

yogalady wrote: »
    Amber wasn't a chinese it was an asian restaurant. They did a mix of cuisines not just chinese. They closed after christmas however are still open in ennis so if you ever in clare or fancy a change it would be worth a trip there just for their food. I can recommend Mr Noodle on thomas street in limerick for similiar food

amber is literally about 30metres from my place but I only went there once. didn't think it was great, just like coco, supposedly an 'asian fusion' place but tastes like any other Chinese to me.

i went again tonight to give it another go. same as last time, the place was completely empty
    qpkOR3Mm.jpg

fitout looked expensive, big coffee machine and stuff! can't see it lasting much longer, Ennis is too small, the centre is a ghosttown after 6pm.

got two dishes and ate half of each, ramsay kitchen nightmares style!
    amber chicken - just your average chinese crispy chicken!
    2XgZkLOm.jpg
    FsdD1B1m.jpg

thai king prawn stir fry - dunno why i got this, there's only a certain sauce i like on prawns and this isn't it. again, just your average chinese
    INN5OsNm.jpg

so what do ye recommend here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

At a loose end yesterday in limerick with my 13 month old said I'd give Bella Italia a go again.

When I went in the girl at the front was busy giving a lady a takeaway cappuccino and latte, she gave the lady the two drinks and couldn't tell which was which...

Place was empty but she still managed to put me in most awkward seat child wise.

Asked for children's menu, was told by different waitress that menu wouldn't be suitable for my child - child is on solids for months, I'll decide what's suitable thank you.

Food came, child's pasta shells and bolognaise was nice. My food came, spinach and ricotta tortellini and tomatoe sauce, it was OK but a definite microwave job.

Overall I was disappointed, attitude of waitress at entrance was poor, next waitress was marginally better. Waiter after that was pleasant and helpful. Food was only OK, won't be in a rush back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

shaka wrote: »
    At a loose end yesterday in limerick with my 13 month old said I'd give Bella Italia a go again.

Used to be a great spot. Standards have slipped lots in the last few years..in both food and service. Way down the list of places to go for me these days but each to their own and all that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Went for dinner in Chocolat last nights with three friends. Starters (prawn skewers, duck salad, peppercorn chicken and mussels) were fine, very tasty. Mains were a little varied- two steaks were tasty but overlooked, chicken Thai green curry was nice as was the yang pan chicken. The desserts were outstanding though- two salted caramel roulades and one sticky toffee pudding, all unbelievably good.

Any recommendations on where to go for lunch today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Any recommendations on where to go for lunch today?

papa'z on Denmark street?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

papa'z on Denmark street?

I'd second this.

Or if you can get in to Coqbull before 2 they do burger chip and a drink for €10. I usually upgrade to the sweet potato fries as they are unreal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Forgot to check the thread after I'd posted :o but as luck would have it when we were aimlessly wandering up Thomas St. we spotted Coqbull and got a mighty feed in there. Great looking spot, completely unrecognisable from Aubars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

ate in Kaya last night - nice food, the staff are great in there also.

I think the portions are a tad small in there when you sit down but they give very generous takeaway portions! go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Parchment wrote: »
    ate in Kaya last night - nice food, the staff are great in there also.

I think the portions are a tad small in there when you sit down but they give very generous takeaway portions! go figure!

I had Camille last night. Excellent as usual. My girlfriends parents and sister had LANA 2 weeks ago in Tralee. Disgusting is how they described it. Interesting I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

vkid wrote: »
    Used to be a great spot. Standards have slipped lots in the last few years..in both food and service. Way down the list of places to go for me these days but each to their own and all that

I always thought Bella was rubbish. I've given it lots of chances over the years and have never been satisfied.

Camille is a decent spot alright. Papa'z is great.

Another thing, la cucina is massively overrated for food. Passing the place on Henry Street yesterday my ten year old asked why a new place is opening when everything else closes down there, I can see initial interest but if they are the same as Castletroy it's not going to attract continuous custom.
    Good luck to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭sioda

Another thing, la cucina is massively overrated for food. Passing the place on Henry Street yesterday my ten year old asked why a new place is opening when everything else closes down there, I can see initial interest but if they are the same as Castletroy it's not going to attract continuous custom.
    I love la cucina personally the food is good and good coffee as well think the will do well but not sure about the location

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have found both Bella italia and La Cucina to be a bit tasteless. More so Bella. The pizza in la Cucina is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Are you out of your mind?! Loads of people in town are looking forward to them opening here. What's wrong with their Castletroy branch? Its always busy which would only be a good thing having it in the city.

I love their food, have been going there since it was only a humble deli - must be nearly 10 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If they keep the standards high, I'd imagine they'll do well enough. Good timing too with some major office developments kicking off around there, but it'll be a few years before these are occupied.

zulutango wrote: »
    If they keep the standards high, I'd imagine they'll do well enough. Good timing too with some major office developments kicking off around there, but it'll be a few years before these are occupied.

House Limerick is also opening around the corner, and Small Claws got refurb'd and is now called the Boardwalk Bar - bringing people back down to this side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote: »
    House Limerick is also opening around the corner, and Small Claws got refurb'd and is now called the Boardwalk Bar - bringing people back down to this side of town.

What a god-awful name!!

Rec's for a chinese - usually go to Chinese Palace in Roxboro but havent been in a while.

Are you out of your mind?! Loads of people in town are looking forward to them opening here. What's wrong with their Castletroy branch? Its always busy which would only be a good thing having it in the city.

I love their food, have been going there since it was only a humble deli - must be nearly 10 years at this stage.

:pac: Play the ball not the man.
    I couldn't care less about your opinion nor should you abut mine, the food in La Cucina is bang average pizza that was decent when it arrived in Limerick first but would now hardly make the top 500 pizza places in the country, the pasta is microwaved and generally quite poor, sheep will go anywhere they're told to.

What do you mean a humble deli, I was there loads when it opened first and it was the same it is now, pizza that was cooked hours ago, microwaved pasta dishes and ridiculously priced sandwiches and confectionary.
    That will fly with the yummy mummies and munster rugby players but it wont do in town,

• Advertisement

:pac: Play the ball not the man.
    I couldn't care less about your opinion nor should you abut mine, the food in La Cucina is bang average pizza that was decent when it arrived in Limerick first but would now hardly make the top 500 pizza places in the country, the pasta is microwaved and generally quite poor, sheep will go anywhere they're told to.

What do you mean a humble deli, I was there loads when it opened first and it was the same it is now, pizza that was cooked hours ago, microwaved pasta dishes and ridiculously priced sandwiches and confectionary.
    That will fly with the yummy mummies and munster rugby players but it wont do in town,

I think you're wrong about that! It's probably one of the nicest and most authentic Italian pizza in Limerick.

Their new chef is also from Rome, and their city branch wont be anything like the one in Castletroy or so I have been told. They are putting a lot of money into it, so you can be sure they will do well. Have you any proof that the pasta is microwaved? Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

I think you're wrong about that! It's probably one of the nicest and most authentic Italian pizza in Limerick.

Their new chef is also from Rome, and their city branch wont be anything like the one in Castletroy or so I have been told. They are putting a lot of money into it, so you can be sure they will do well. Have you any proof that the pasta is microwaved? Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

It's must have been when they put it into the microwave and pressed a button, then waited a minute and took it out when a bell went off.
    Look take it easy on me here, I've a different opinion than you.
    Glad to hear the town one will be different, hopefully it will be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Be careful, you can't criticise Italian restaurants, the opinion police don't like that.

Tried Kyoto Japanese on Saturday. Food was good, light yet filling and easy to digest. I'm new to Japanese but it struck me as a fast cuisine and not designed for long meals.

Garry123 wrote: »
    Be careful, you can't criticise Italian restaurants, the opinion police don't like that.

Tried Kyoto Japanese on Saturday. Food was good, light yet filling and easy to digest. I'm new to Japanese but it struck me as a fast cuisine and not designed for long meals.

As an aficionado of Italian food I'm interested in your take on La Cucina,
    You can frame it as 'my friend said' if you're worried about the locals taking offence.
    Is heavy dough pizza that's been sitting in a heated Cabinet for an hour authentic? What about cannelloni or lasagne that's fired into a microwave?

Haven't been in La Cucina in years. I'm not a great fan of pizza and rarely eat pasta as a main course. I find it hard to call somewhere that supplies pizza and pasta almost exclusively a restaurant, there's not much skill required to cook pasta. I've made my own and I'm definitely no chef. There is no place for a microwave in any professional kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭adaminho

I would say that there isn't a proper Italian restaurant in Limerick, if not Ireland. Pasta & pizza do not represent food from Italy.
    I've been to Italy on many occasions. I have eaten both pasta and pizza while there and they are certainly part of the diet. I have also eaten Saltim Bocca, Ossobuco etc which I never see on menus here. I have never seen spaghetti bolognese in Italy, and I have been to Bologna.
    I don't want or expect Italian restaurants here to do anything, I merely stated that pasta and pizza do not represent Italian food, which is as you point out regional. Pizza is from Naples while pasta is from the Mezza Giorno.
    Haven't been in La Cucina in years. I'm not a great fan of pizza and rarely eat pasta as a main course. I find it hard to call somewhere that supplies pizza and pasta almost exclusively a restaurant, there's not much skill required to cook pasta. I've made my own and I'm definitely no chef. There is no place for a microwave in any professional kitchen
    So what do you want from an "Italian Restaurant"

I'd like Italian restaurants to reflect the variety of foods available in Italy. Why not serve the meat and fish dishes that are common place. Pasta is eaten as a second course in Italy and never as a main course. I've never seen a pizza in Italy with sweet corn or pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

adaminho wrote: »
    So what do you want from an "Italian Restaurant"

People rave about Papaz and they used to microwave their pasta too. No idea if they still do as I've stopped going there.

Probably isn't what you would consider authentic Japanese food but don't let that stop you from enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

So what would people say is the best evening restaurant in Limerick?

I would probably put Freddy's number 1 myself.

Advertisement