Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I'm not a fan of DaVincenzos either. Only there the once, but the pizzas were very greasy. Couldn't understand the positive press it was getting.

Went to La Cuchina in town yesterday and was very impressed with the food and service.

Where in town are they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I'm not a fan of DaVincenzos either. Only there the once, but the pizzas were very greasy. Couldn't understand the positive press it was getting.

Went to La Cuchina in town yesterday and was very impressed with the food and service.

Greasy pizza's? Bad service?

I am really very, very, surprised to hear that about DaVincenzo

The reviews across the board are excellent. I have been there many times and it has been top notch, same for friends and family.

You guys must be really, really, unlucky on the days you went there. It is just totally at odds with everything I have seen, heard and read about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I like Milano's and Papa Johns. They good for pizzas. I tend to go for pizzerias. Suppose depends on your tastes if you into general, any or particular cuisine like Chinese, tex mex, Indian food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

yogalady wrote: »
    Was in the cream room indian restaurant at the South court Hotel last night. Wasn't expecting much but it was amazing! The food, decor and service was faultless. We used a dealrush voucher which is still on. I'd highly recommend and can't wait to go back. Definitely worth a visit

What would you recommend there? Going Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I have heard that Da Vincenzos struggle to retain service staff, but not because of any lacking in the quality of the personnel they employ.

Food and service have both been very good every time I've been in there. My only quibble has been that the proprietor himself is more than a little overbearing.

Less is more when it comes to front of house interaction, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wasnt blown away by the food in DaVicenzo's

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

doovdela wrote: »
    Papa Johns.

?? :eek: Their pizza is terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭bennyl10

La cucina in town.. early impressions?..

From friends of mine, a bit on the expensive side. Italian workmates, think it could be a bit more flavoursome, but then they are Italians!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Went to Clover on bedfordrow for 10 euro lunch buffet. Excellent choice of sushi and hot dishes cashew nut chicken , duck beef noodles rice etc. On until 5pm then 13.99 after. Definitely worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Went to the new la cucina and thought it was way overpriced. Waited ten minutes next to the wait to be seated sign staring at 4 empty tables while several staff wiped tables and walked past without acknowledging us. Thought the food was fine, wouldn't rave about it. Went to House after for coffee after and thought the lunch menu looked good and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

paulers06 wrote: »
    Went to the new la cucina and thought it was way overpriced. Waited ten minutes next to the wait to be seated sign staring at 4 empty tables while several staff wiped tables and walked past without acknowledging us. Thought the food was fine, wouldn't rave about it. Went to House after for coffee after and thought the lunch menu looked good and reasonable.

They have a queuing system in place so you can leave and they'll text you when there is an available table. This means tables might have looked free but there may have been people ahead of you in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bored_lad wrote: »
    They have a queuing system in place so you can leave and they'll text you when there is an available table. This means tables might have looked free but there may have been people ahead of you in the queue.

The texting is a great idea but a member of staff could at least have explained the delay rather than ignore the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

phog wrote: »

The texting is a great idea but a member of staff could at least have explained the delay rather than ignore the op.
    phog wrote: »

Agree, it is a great idea. Especially in town where you can occupy yourself while waiting. In this case the tables weren't booked, it was just bad customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

La Cucina isnt famous for its friendly staff. I dont bother with the place anymore. Plus the last pizza i got there was so soggy the toppings just slid off the base when i picked the slice up.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

I gave The Buttery a try recently, nice enough spot, very cramped though.

Their prices seem to be a bit confused though, charging too much for certain items, I went with the clean Irish and was happy enough with 9 quid for it. Though they served me about 5 beans in a tiny little dish, I just thought why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Was in Bobby Byrne's for a carvery lunch yesterday.

Must say I walked away happy. Large portions, tasty food and nice surroundings. Will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

La Cucina overpriced?? Never! :p I've consistently said it about their Castletroy premises that, whilst the food is good (not fantastic, but good), the prices are not in-line with the quality of food. I think that social media (driven by the twitter/facebook musings of the owner) has created this false image of La Cucina being this authentic, artisan Italian culinary experience. In reality, I believe it is good, no more, no less, and doesn't justify the hype. If ever there was a case of reputation preceding itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Got a donut in The Funky Donut today. Consider me underwhelmed. It was very heavy stodgy dough - i think the ones you get in tesco in a pack of four are nicer.

They dont compare well to The Rolling Donut or Aungier Danger in Dublin and those are the same price or maybe 50c more. Also the box they gave us the donut in was a shocking waste of cardboard - why bother, just a tissue or a bag would do unless the customer specified a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

La Cucina overpriced?? Never! :p I've consistently said it about their Castletroy premises that, whilst the food is good (not fantastic, but good), the prices are not in-line with the quality of food. I think that social media (driven by the twitter/facebook musings of the owner) has created this false image of La Cucina being this authentic, artisan Italian culinary experience. In reality, I believe it is good, no more, no less, and doesn't justify the hype. If ever there was a case of reputation preceding itself...

I got a pizza there to share with the better half along with some Parmesan chips. All very nice but the little cup of chips was pathetic. If your going to charge through the nose at least give a decent portion. That said we were happy enough except for the service.
    The waitress came to clear our plates and didn't ask did we want tea/coffee. Grand we says so I hopped up to look at the desert cabinet. Same waitress sees me there and then sees me return to my seat. We had to get her attention and eventually she comes over. My oh asks for a coffee and before I can open my mouth she turns and walks away. By blood was boiling, fcuk that I said I'm buying nothing else. I can get over high prices etc but if you really want to annoy me give me bad and rude service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just had lunch in wok to go Arthur's Quay really nice simple noodle rice dishes

Had lunch in LaCucina Centro today, I'm guessing the weather made it a bit more easier to get a table. I sat at the front window, nice spot. Place was busy but still got made welcome and well looked after so maybe they have gotten some reports back about their service. Had the Pepperoni Calzone and it was delicious, the dough was light and the ingredients top notch although I would have preferred a more fuller calzone for the price. Servers were helpful and friendly.

Will definitely be giving it my business again.

People rarely give good feedback online, so I thought i'd post some considering the amount of negative reviews the place has gotten so far. It's only open a week, some teething problems, but I'm sure it wont be long until its established!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I went to La Cucina Centro last week and was very happy with it. I had a pizza, which was good and lemon meringue for dessert and some beers. It's pricier but I think that's fair enough for an Italian in the city centre. I couldn't fault the service at all. For that matter, I've always thought the service in the Castletroy outlet was good too.

I like the food in Da Vincenzo's but on balance I prefer the atmosphere in La Cucina Centro. Will be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Peoples opinions on coqbull?

Had a lovely meal there last Saturday...the craft beer was fantastic too. Meal for two, starter + mainx2+ one dessert and a beer and a wine €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Absolutely appalled by Express Pizza last night.

Ordered on Just-eat - although the place is literally 10 mins walk from us but I had friends over! I paid by card for a 15e deal (Monday to Thursday offer) and got add ons so in all 20e worth.

Food took an hour to arrive - which is fair enough and standard. When it arrived, I asked the driver was everything there as it looked so little. He ensured me and hurried off as I was checking myself!! When I got into my apartment, there were only two pizzas, two drinks and a HALF bag of chips. The order stated four goujons, four garlic bread pieces, 2 bags of chips and 2 dips (this includes whatever i added on).

Phoned the shop, they got irritated with us, trying to state that we lied and then hung up. So I got my partner to phone, who they took more seriously (I am female, he is male...). They promised us we would get the remaining food over within 10 minutes and they would throw in an extra dip and two goujons. Now I want to state that we ordered all of the food at 8. We received the pizza at about 8:45pm. By ten o'clock, we hadn't heard anything on the rest of our order so I phoned again and this time they got very aggressive with me. I was polite, stating that I would rather a refund than the food now as it was 10 and I would not eat it. They blatantly refused and started shouting at me that they were giving me my food what else did I want.

I got fed up at this point so just told them to send the food. The rest of the food arrived at 10:45pm, the garlic bread was cold, we still did not receive the dips that had been ordered but we did get an extra goujon.

Adding to this, the portions were quite small - which I have heard others say too.

That's what I get for branching to a new pizza place. They definitely have lost some business as it was a nice pizza aside from the bitter taste of disappointing customer service >:(

In other news - went to Chocolat for my boyfriend's birthday the week before. I really enjoyed it. Couldn't fault the staff, the cocktails or the food and they had a cute hen party set up for a bunch of women that came in after we left. Was quite impressed.

Tbh I wouldnt expect much from those types of establishments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Had a lovely meal there last Saturday...the craft beer was fantastic too. Meal for two, starter + mainx2+ one dessert and a beer and a wine €50.

I was only there once but I was well impressed. Lovely spot to enjoy a pint with whatever you're having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tbh I wouldnt expect much from those types of establishments.

Completely agree really. I have my favourite pizza places that are very similar and never had a problem so just decided to try but never again. I just couldn't believe the way we were treated, especially after they received the money too...good job I didn't leave a tip ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Supped up burger joint, overpriced for what you get, way too noisy for me, sitting on top of everyone else, and those chairs!! WTF!

Sorry but when i go out for dinner i like to relax and you definitely can't do it there.

And yes, i am a grumpy git :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Really like it. Great portion sizes and food is always high quality. I think the services there is also excellent. The staff are always very friendly and attentive.

Advertisement