Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Didn't watch the whole thing but I saw the highlights on Breitbart. It looks like another win for the Donald, the poll puts him at 75%.

BTW the tax thing is interesting because it shows up the characters of the different candidates. One is a businessman, and thinks making the most money while paying the least tax shows good business acumen.
    The other is a consummate politician, and is willing to say anything as long as it is politically correct.

This is why they can't understand each others point of view.
    The electorate will decide which type will make a better boss for their country.

Trump also said a few things about leveraging, interest rates, the Fed etc. which shows he understands how money and debt works. Most viewers will understand as little of that as Clinton though, so the clown tactics are a good backup to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

recedite wrote:
    I saw the highlights on Breitbart. It looks like another win for the Donald, the poll puts him at 75%
    My Mom says I'm the handsomest boy in School

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

recedite wrote: »
    Didn't watch the whole thing but I saw the highlights on Breitbart. It looks like another win for the Donald, the poll puts him at 75%.
    Three quarters of Breitbart readers thought he won? Well, I guess that's conclusive.
    BTW the tax thing is interesting because it shows up the characters of the different candidates. One is a businessman, and thinks making the most money while paying the least tax shows good business acumen.

[...]

Trump also said a few things about leveraging, interest rates, the Fed etc. which shows he understands how money and debt works.
    Vox have a different perspective.

Would this be the same Trump who thinks letting his children run his business is a blind trust?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Now, now recedite, no trolling - sure, doesn't everybody knows that Breitbart really wants him at 110%?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

robindch wrote: »
    Now, now recedite, no trolling - sure, doesn't everybody knows that Breitbart really wants him at 110%?!

More like 1488%, but then the mask would have irrevocably slipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You're becoming a caricature of recedite.

BTW, 75% is crap. Putin has an 82% approval rating and Kim has about 99.9% popularity (amongst all North Koreans, and 100% amongst living North Koreans).

Imagine conceding 25% to a woman. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Trump is now whinging that his microphone was faulty and it was a set-up. And he wasn't sniffing at all, the microphone was just good enough to pick up his breathing, but poor enough that people couldn't hear what he was saying.

You couldn't make this guy's stuff up.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Three quarters of Breitbart readers thought he won? Well, I guess that's conclusive.
    It seems that Trump's inflammatory claim that "the election is going to be rigged" might have a grain of truth in it as the Daily Dot has collected evidence of widespread attempts by Trump supporters to manipulate online polls, including instructions on how to vote multiple times:

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/trump-clinton-debate-online-polls-4chan-the-donald/

The same article contains links to polls which were not subject to such manipulation and which indicate that a majority of viewers believed that Clinton trashed Trump.

Manipulating online polls does not an election rig.

Manipulating online polls does not an election rig.
    Didn't say it did.

I did include Trump's inflammatory claim to suggest that some of his supporters are hypocrites. As indeed, Trump is, should he fail to condemn poll manipulation.

• Advertisement

Didn't say it did.

I did include Trump's inflammatory claim to suggest that some of his supporters are hypocrites. As indeed, Trump is, should he fail to condemn poll manipulation.

Not sure you'd make much bread out of these grains tbh.
    It seems that Trump's inflammatory claim that "the election is going to be rigged" might have a grain of truth in it...

Not sure you'd make much bread out of these grains tbh.
    Uh, that's why I used the phrase "grain of truth" to suggest that while there's no direct connection between the two, there is some superficial similarity - in this case, to the point of some considerable irony, if not hypocrisy :confused:

By all means replace the phrase "might have a grain of truth in it" with "a trifle ironic".

The Attorney General of New York has ordered the Trump Foundation to stop fundraising, as it lacks the proper certification.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry that page doesn't exist!

Sorry that page doesn't exist!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

A video of Trump bragging about "grabbing women by the pussy" has surfaced.

Bye-bye Donald, try not to let the door hit you and get stained by your fake tan on your way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Finally some of his Republican 'endorsers' are un-endorsing him. http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/10/08/congressman-jason-chaffetz-latest-wash-hands-trump/. My theory is Chaffetz cleared this with the LDS, who knows, maybe now Utah's in play for HRC.

But, the biggest names (Ryan, McCain, McConnell) have yet to take that important step.

There's some muttering about dropping him from the ticket for Pence. Ain't gonna happen - voting is already happening in a few states.

All this in time for the next debate tomorrow. Images from that old movie "Scanners" comes to mind when HRC gets under his thin-skin.

I don't see Clinton winning Utah, I'd say there's more of a chance of either Johnson or Evan McMullin denying Trump a win there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Igotadose wrote: »
    Finally some of his Republican 'endorsers' are un-endorsing him. http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/10/08/congressman-jason-chaffetz-latest-wash-hands-trump/. My theory is Chaffetz cleared this with the LDS, who knows, maybe now Utah's in play for HRC.

But, the biggest names (Ryan, McCain, McConnell) have yet to take that important step.

There's some muttering about dropping him from the ticket for Pence. Ain't gonna happen - voting is already happening in a few states.

All this in time for the next debate tomorrow. Images from that old movie "Scanners" comes to mind when HRC gets under his thin-skin.

The nightmare for the GOP is staring it in the face, the weakest democratic candidate in decades , following on a even weaker ineffectual presidency , is going to beat the official republican candidate.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    John McCain has ditched Trump in no uncertain terms.

Condemnatory statements regarding Mr Trump's boasting of sexual assault were also issued by his running mate, Mike Pence and Trump's wife, Melania Trump.

Condoleeza Rice also demanded that Trump withdraw while Paul Ryan managed to bring himself to say that Trump's comments sickened him. The NY Times lists further Republicans who have questioned, condemned or abandoned Mr Trump.

News of all of this seismic political activity has almost entirely escaped the notice of Breitbart whose main page pauses briefly to note that the two largest Republican donors still support Trump fully.

Elsewhere, Billy Bush, the presenter who hosted the "locker room" in which Mr Trump made his disgusting comments has been suspended by NBC.

No wonder he hired Roger Ailes as an advisor. :rolleyes:

I watched all but the first 30 minutes of the debate last night, to be fair to Trump he didn't implode as some were anticipating/hoping, but I think Clinton was underwhelming. She missed opportunities such as bringing up his past support of the Iraq War, calling for military action in Libya, the deficit increase his tax cuts would lead to, and of course the desertion of him by some top Republican politicians and donors after the "grab them by the pussy" tape was leaked. Conversely, I thought he once more failed to elaborate on his policy proposals, most notably healthcare and energy.

[...] Clinton was underwhelming [...]
    Can't disagree - she let him off the hook on most things.

Not sure why that was - perhaps she was just trying to appear like a capable, if slightly dull, administrator in contrast to the raving nutter opposite.

I was thinking more along the lines that her team have even more dirt on Trump that they're holding back for before the 3rd debate, or perhaps didn't want to set up a Trump riposte along the lines of "look at these women who Bill molested!"

I honestly won't be surprised if it emerges that Trump actually raped someone by the 8th of November. After all, Bill Cosby got away with sexual assault for decades, and I vaguely recall a /r/movies thread of horror stories of Hollywood execs blackmailing/manipulating up-and-coming actresses into sex acts to get a role. Imagine what a billionaire could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

I was thinking more along the lines that her team have even more dirt on Trump that they're holding back for before the 3rd debate, or perhaps didn't want to set up a Trump riposte along the lines of "look at these women who Bill molested!"

I honestly won't be surprised if it emerges that Trump actually raped someone by the 8th of November. After all, Bill Cosby got away with sexual assault for decades, and I vaguely recall a /r/movies thread of horror stories of Hollywood execs blackmailing/manipulating up-and-coming actresses into sex acts to get a role. Imagine what a billionaire could do.

If she attacks then she will be called shrill. Trump even complained that she was given too much speaking time when he had more than her. Make his opponent a man and this won't happen. Just some of the biases against women in politics.

Will be interesting to see the polls over the week but it will be hard enough to separate the debate move from the Trump video move.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Christy42 wrote: »
    If she attacks then she will be called shrill. Trump even complained that she was given too much speaking time when he had more than her. Make his opponent a man and this won't happen. Just some of the biases against women in politics.

You don't think Trump would complain about the time he was getting if his opponent had been a man? He will always complain about everything, he will always act like every ones against him if he doesn't get his way.

Conversely, I thought he once more failed to elaborate on his policy proposals, most notably healthcare and energy.
    He did unfortunately tell us about the "clean coal" that has been discovered "under our feet" in the last few years. So a clear signal that he would roll back on all of the green energy and anti-global warming policies that the EU is pushing for.
    He's probably gung ho for doing a deal to carve up the oil drilling rights of the arctic with Putin, and to hell with the environmentalists.
    "Clean coal" actually refers to a process of burning it at very high temperatures (gasification), resulting in reduced pollution. Trump appeared to think it was a type of coal, but he was probably getting mixed up with the fracking gas that has been harnessed in recent years in a big way, in the USA.

News of all of this seismic political activity has almost entirely escaped the notice of Breitbart whose main page pauses briefly to note that the two largest Republican donors still support Trump fully.
    Wot... you're reading Breitbart now??
    That was a good letter, I thought, and "braggadocio" is a new word for me. Its always good to learn something new.

I see The Donald is reckoned to have won the second debate too. By 89.76% this time.
    With accuracy to two decimal places, who can argue with the stats :pac:

That reminds me, how is President Ron Paul doing?

• Advertisement

That reminds me, how is President Ron Paul doing?
    Still trying to convince you to buy gold instead of paper money. Him and Bernie Sanders... smart backroom guys, but that's exactly where they are destined to stay, sadly.

Advertisement