Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I see "somebody" has been trying to terrorise NYC and/or New Jersey by planting pressure cooker bombs.
    It really is time the US clamped down on the importation of pressure cookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

recedite wrote: »
    I see "somebody" has been trying to terrorise NYC and/or New Jersey by planting pressure cooker bombs.

Cool pressure cooker Ahmed, want to bring it to the White House :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

titanic-newspaper-article-3.jpg
    12710061ec1b8ec6b7fa09807a2b4f6c7c208950ddab1952d95037fcb0c754fc.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's crazy talk. The only way to stop a bad guy with a pressure cooker is a good guy with a pressure cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If everyone had pressure cooker bombs then we'd all be safer...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    He won't be as cartoonish if he gets the presidency.
    Lordy, lordy! What is it about conservatives and copyright law or background checks? Yesterday, Trump's son tweeted an image with a nasty anti-refugee message.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37416457

Today, it seems that that the image was used without permission and that the photographer was a refugee himself - and is not best pleased.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37421886

A writer for GQ succeeds in lowering the tone of political debate beyond Trump's level.

http://www.gq.com/story/a-word-for-donald-trump-voters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Lower than stealing $250 000 from charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Or appointing the chairman of the propaganda arm of the "alt-right" as his campaign manager?

Let's face it: when it comes to the tone of this year's campaign, it's hard to see how it could be much lower.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Let's face it: when it comes to the tone of this year's campaign, it's hard to see how it could be much lower.

why would you tempt fate like this?

I was possibly being ironic :)

The article shows a rare example of is an anti-Trump writer getting emotional - part of the current problem with Trump being that - like Farage, Wilders and the rest of today's fascists - he's much better at faking emotion and concern than the liberal side are.

Hence, it's a nice change to see somebody emote back at him effectively, even if it's just a spittle-flecked rant.

robindch wrote: »
    A writer for GQ succeeds in lowering the tone of political debate beyond Trump's level.
    http://www.gq.com/story/a-word-for-donald-trump-voters
    It was dire...
    but there was a link there to a very nicely written article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

oscarBravo wrote: »

It must be tough for the moderators. Due to the rules of the site they have to keep the tone of the discussion at a much higher point than the election itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

robindch wrote:
    I was possibly being ironic

The article shows a rare example of is an anti-Trump writer getting emotional - part of the current problem with Trump being that - like Farage, Wilders and the rest of today's fascists - he's much better at faking emotion and concern than the liberal side are.

Hence, it's a nice change to see somebody emote back at him effectively, even if it's just a spittle-flecked rant.

Sorry my irony metre is off.

Every time someone points out one of Trump's terrible actions, his snowflake supporters cry that you're calling them all Hitlers in an attempt to recover their much sought after victimhood.

Every time someone points out one of Trump's terrible actions, his snowflake supporters cry that you're calling them all Hitlers in an attempt to recover their much sought after victimhood.
    Oddly, many, and probably a large majority, of his supporters are low-income, low-education, low-achieving people who are essentially victims in the game of capitalism as it's played in the US - often because of assholes like Trump - whether they're corrupt business men or whether they're corrupt politicians driving the system for corrupt business men.

Oddly, many, and probably a large majority, of his supporters are low-income, low-education, low-achieving people who are essentially victims in the game of capitalism as it's played in the US - often because of assholes like Trump - whether they're corrupt business men or whether they're corrupt politicians driving the system for corrupt business men.
    That may well be true, but you could say the very same thing about Trump's opponents. Despite The Donald being a heartless capitalist, he also has the touch of the common man about him. Ordinary Americans can can aspire to do whatever it is that he has done. He seems to be his own man; not controlled by mysterious agencies, lobby groups and corporations.

In that article, a journalist travels all around the Trump empire, even to Doonbeg, looking for ammunition to use against him. But nobody will say a bad word about him. The only stick she can find to beat Trump with is an allegation that he "resuscitates properties, but only after he has squeezed the life out of them and sucked all the marrow from their bones."

The story centres around his flagship property. His old friends the Kluges had used their home as collateral and taken out loans to establish a vineyard out the back, which loans they were unable to service. Sensing blood, the banksters swooped in and told them to put their mansion on the market. But our hero, The Donald, came to the rescue and bought the ailing vineyard, thus allowing the owners to stay on in the house.

But with rising interest rates squeezing them, and the inevitable divorce, it wasn't long before the banksters returned and evicted the lady of the house. Again, The Donald helped out by buying the golf course out front, and paying the money direct to the ex-husband, as the deeds for it were separate from the rest of the property, and the vultures had failed to get their grubby hands on them.

After keeping the house vacant and waiting for the market to rise, the bank tried to sell its ill-gotten gains at a vast profit. But they hadn't reckoned on our hero, The Donald. He explained the situation to prospective buyers, thus putting them off. Eventually the bank reluctantly sold the house to him, foregoing their expected profit.

Now in possession, The Donald poured money into the neglected house, sympathetically restoring furnishings in their original colours and style. Finally he opened it to the public as a hotel.

If you don't believe me, read all about it here

[...] he also has the touch of the common man about him. Ordinary Americans can can aspire to do whatever it is that he has done. He seems to be his own man; not controlled by mysterious agencies, lobby groups and corporations.
    I would suggest that a lot of people have forgotten that Trump essentially is a mysterious, unaccountable corporation beholden to nobody and certainly uninterested in revealing things like - oh - his tax returns.

You're quite right to say that there's a touch of the common about him and can only requote one description I heard recently, that he plays to a poor man's image of what a rich man is.

Though I thought that Sam Harris was on the button as well when he said that Trump's thinking, such as it is, can be modelled by a balloon zipping around a room randomly as the escaping air shoots out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Thats his pitch though, the whole "I know the game, I played the game, I'm great at it and thats why I only I can fix it". Its bull**** obviously but its very American bull****.

The biggest difference (not only difference, just the biggest) between Trump and Clinton is that she's pretty smart and he's not at all. He understands media pretty well though and I think he understands the public pretty well. Its why political pundits and politicians don't really understand his popularity.

on the flipside Clinton is getting most of the corporate money and they will be telling her to not rock the boat and there is a market for a non status quo politician.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

That may well be true, but you could say the very same thing about Trump's opponents. Despite The Donald being a heartless capitalist, he also has the touch of the common man about him. Ordinary Americans can can aspire to do whatever it is that he has done. He seems to be his own man; not controlled by mysterious agencies, lobby groups and corporations.

Coming from a working class area I really can see myself in Donald Trump. Multi-million dollar inheritances were commonplace where I grew up.

I see "somebody" has been shooting up a shopping mall.
    It really is time the US clamped down on the importation of NRA supporters.

I see "somebody" has been shooting up a shopping mall.
    It really is time the US clamped down on the importation of NRA supporters.

he was a Hillary supporter too, will she disavow ? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

If Trump is a fascist (even if he isn't) does that mean we can call Hilary a communist (even though she isn't)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

What do you mean can we?

Exposing the Marxist/Communist Past of Hillary Clinton

COMMUNIST PARTY UNITES BEHIND HILLARY

Hard to imagine there's anything she hasn't been called at this stage.

FA Hayek wrote: »
    If Trump is a fascist (even if he isn't)...

...but he plays one on TV.

If Trump is a fascist (even if he isn't) does that mean we can call Hilary a communist (even though she isn't)?
    You can call Clinton what you like, but - at least here in A+A - you will need to back it up with evidence in order to be taken seriously.

Separately, this evening's debate, or whatever kind of public car-crash it turns out to be, is available on a variety of outlets:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-stream-tonights-presidential-debate-for-free-no-1786948623

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

You can call Clinton what you like, but - at least here in A+A - you will need to back it up with evidence in order to be taken seriously.

Well for someone who claims Farage is a fascist that is a bit rich. Do you peer review every post on boards or just the ones you do not like?

Well for someone who claims Farage is a fascist that is a bit rich.
    I've linked to definitions for fascism in this thread and, in other threads, included links to Mr Farage's deplorable output. It should be clear enough to most people that there's sufficient common ground between the two to link them.

If, on the other hand, you believe that Farage is a kind, generous, helpful and co-operative politician genuinely working for the good of his unfairly oppressed countrymen and countrywomen, and cruelly misrepresented by a biased media, then by all means please produce some evidence to back up this peculiar position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, when should we expect the first post in this thread from the Drumpfjugend trying to claim victory in last night's debate, despite such hits like Cheeto Jesus not objecting to Clinton alleging he pays nothing in federal taxes - instead, he says he's being smart!

But then again, what do you expect from a guy who got his fake charity to donate to Pam Bondi's re-election campaign as Florida's Attorney General when she was thinking of investigating Trump University?

Advertisement