Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Luke Cage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,311 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes the soundtrack is amazing Ali Shaheed Muhammad brought the whole A Tribe Called Quest vibe to it.

The mix of Blaxploitation, Spike Lee and A Tribe Called Quest music did a superb job bringing a Black superhero to the screen.

Mike Colter was perfect as Cage.

Marvel have very rarely put a foot wrong with cast to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Episode 5 down.
    You know every so often some piano music is there in the background and it sounds.. to me.. a bit like the daredevil theme song and I keep wondering if they want the audience to be thinking about daredevil at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Slydice wrote: »
    Episode 5 down.
    You know every so often some piano music is there in the background and it sounds.. to me.. a bit like the daredevil theme song and I keep wondering if they want the audience to be thinking about daredevil at that point.

Yep...
    One of my favourite Easter eggs so far is the use throughout the show of the Daredevil theme tune. It's sprinkled about the place, sometimes as little as one bar and often very subtle but it's there. Beautifully done.

Also,
    Patsy Walker on the radio
    at the start of episode 5 was a nice touch!

Episode 6 done. Now that was good!
    That CottonMouth arrest scene had a cool visual effect.

Yer wan Sonja Sohn from the wire almost stole the show for me her performance was so good. She needs to be cast in more stuff!

Scratched the Daredevil theme tune itch :)

and in reverse:

and 30 minutes of it :D

Though I'd say I only kept it open for 15mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,311 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just finished the series and a great one it is from start to finish.

With all the mentions of
    Justin Hammer
    throughout the series I would gave given a little yelp if there had been a cameo from
    Sam Rockwell
    in the
    Seagate scenes.

Loved the foreshadowing in it as well for future series Misty's
    arm (maybe RDJ can cameo for that)
    was one of my favs.

• Advertisement

Just finished the series and a great one it is from start to finish.

With all the mentions of
    Justin Hammer
    throughout the series I would gave given a little yelp if there had been a cameo from
    Sam Rockwell
    in the
    Seagate scenes.

Loved the foreshadowing in it as well for future series Misty's
    arm (maybe RDJ can cameo for that)
    was one of my favs.

Would have liked a little cameo too.

I think what we got re:
    Misty's arm
    is as close as we'll get tbh. I'd say it was more of a nod than a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Was I watching a different show? Six fantastic opening episodes that then nosedived into cliche ridden, corny (and pointing out how corny it is wasn't funny after the first time), preachy crap. I can't think of any other series that has me this divided.

I absolutely loved the first half of this show with Luke going after Cornell. All the subtle hints at Diamondback, Cornell was clearly a pawn with delusions of grander. I thought Diamondback will be someone to rival Fisk and what do we get?
    A bible reading, cliche spouting half brother with daddy issues!!
    Are you kidding me!? Story doesn't even make sense.
    Pure coincidence that Luke's half brother happened to grow up to be a crime boss. All Shades's hints that DB had bigger plans for Luke. What was going to do after defeating Luke?

Seriously, I'm absolutely baffled by this and the praise it's getting. It's Spectre in Harlem, that's all. I'm so disappointed :( . This is for me the worst Marvel/Netflix outing yet by a fair distance and yet again proves that 13 episodes is too many.

I'll come back with some positive thoughts once I've mellowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Jessica Jones faded miserably for me, so much so that I got to episode 10 with a struggle, thinking it was the last one, and realized there was more, and just gave up.

If this is worse, and fades even faster, count me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Jessica Jones faded miserably for me, so much so that I got to episode 10 with a struggle, thinking it was the last one, and realized there was more, and just gave up.

JJ & DDS1 had Tennant and Donofrio respectively to keep me engaged and interested. Watch the first six episodes, there's a midseason break which you could easily pretend is the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just finished this series ... Excellent stuff.. Loved the themes and the musical accompaniment...

Being on a business trip gave me the option to watch this..

• Advertisement

EPISODE 7!!!!
    Right at the very start I litteraily shouted "OH ****!!" DAMN!!! That finger cutting caught me by surprise!

The captain being taken outta the story :-/

Then cottenmouths back story and the empathy they made me feel and then BAM

Wow like I'd been half spoilered about yer wan being his true baddie but I wasn't expecting her to take her place till season 2.

Wow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2 episodes in and this is the first Netflix Marvel show that presents what feels like a real, breathing place. Daredevil often fell over itself trying to over-emphasise how shabby-yet-wonderful Hells Kitchen was, but just came across as a charismaless, wannabe Gotham.

Luke Cages Harlem feels more grounded, natural and engaging. There's a better sense of this being a community and somewhere people actually live. The second episode had barely any 'plot' to speak of, yet was utterly engrossing just through the various scenes of Harlems residents, police and crooks chatting with each other. A killer soundtrack also helps of course.

Am worried about the suggestions it all goes over the cliff after the halfway point though, because it's beginning to smell like a recurring problem with these Netflix adaptations; start out great then plummet into some particular narrative hole. But hey, so long as it doesn't end on a toe-curling voiceover it'll still be superior to Daredevil series 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Was I watching a different show? Six fantastic opening episodes that then nosedived into cliche ridden, corny (and pointing out how corny it is wasn't funny after the first time), preachy crap. I can't think of any other series that has me this divided.

I absolutely loved the first half of this show with Luke going after Cornell. All the subtle hints at Diamondback, Cornell was clearly a pawn with delusions of grander. I thought Diamondback will be someone to rival Fisk and what do we get?
    A bible reading, cliche spouting half brother with daddy issues!!
    Are you kidding me!? Story doesn't even make sense.
    Pure coincidence that Luke's half brother happened to grow up to be a crime boss. All Shades's hints that DB had bigger plans for Luke. What was going to do after defeating Luke?

Seriously, I'm absolutely baffled by this and the praise it's getting. It's Spectre in Harlem, that's all. I'm so disappointed :( . This is for me the worst Marvel/Netflix outing yet by a fair distance and yet again proves that 13 episodes is too many.

I'll come back with some positive thoughts once I've mellowed.

I'd agree with you. I was really enjoying it til around episode 7 and then it collapsed.

Daredevil and Jessica declined as the seasons went on but not like this. Some of the dialogue is atrocious.

Think they need to be changed to 8 or 10 ep seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The music in this is brilliant. My favourite bit...

Shame they killed Cottonmouth. Thought he was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

The last two or three episodes really dragged this down from about a 7 or 8 to a 5/10. Cringeworthy stuff at the end. Marvel/Netflix really need to cut these series down to 10 episodes.

I was just about to come in and talk about Long Live the Chief. It was such an excellent song but, more importantly, and this is something that none of the other songs did, as far as I remember, is that it played within the world itself. What I mean is that it didn't just essentially be background noise, but it became part of the story, essentially. The pointing up and saluting to Cottonmouth at the "Long Live the Chief".

This show was utterly incredible with its camera shots - especially the sequences of Cottonmouth stood with the crown supported on his head.

I finished it last night and, I have to say, something I laughed out loud about was this from the last episode -
    Luke Cage walks into the warehouse and sees the little Latino fella and his goons dead. Fine. But then you see what DiamondBack is wearing and... that thing looks bulky as hell and not so easy to put on. With the shooting scene, it looked like the Latino gang were winning and that DiamondBack's men were all dead. Yet it seems like they gave this dude the time to put on all of that, without running in and gunning him down.

Overall -
    Cottonmouth was a better villain than DiamondBack - it really was a pity they killed him. Shades seemed like he was there just to throw daggereyes at people whenever he took off his glasses. Excluding the flashbacks and when they tried to kill him in the lift, I can't exactly remember him doing much at all.

Better than Jessica Jones, though JJ's Kilgrave stands the tallest so far, but not as good as Daredevil Season 1. Better than DD Season 2, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

Average. Watched 4 episodes. Probably won't bother with the rest. Just didn't really like the tone of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sweet Christmas, how many shows are getting sponsored to mention CRISPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I probably give it a 6.5/10. I think the quality dipped once
    Cottonmouuth died, really like that actor in everything I see him in

There were a few too many minor but irritating plot holes and bad dialogue to truly enjoy this and the fighting scenes were pretty poor compared to something like Daredevil.

Finished it. Really liked it.

The last episode was done really well.
    Really early on, something spoiled that she was Lukes big baddie but the way this was done meant the spoiler wasn't ruining the show on me. The nods to the wire, daredevil, marvel, night nurse... oh jeez those coffee puns! .. the defenders, iron fist. I spotted the stan lee on the poster! :)

Sweet Christmas!:)

• Advertisement

My biggest issue with how they're doing the Defenders is that it means we likely don't get a second season of Luke Cage - so essentially they've spent an entire season of atmosphere and world building, unlike previous marvel TV outings, and yet it'll be for nought as likely this won't be carried across to the new show.

My biggest issue with how they're doing the Defenders is that it means we likely don't get a second season of Luke Cage - so essentially they've spent an entire season of atmosphere and world building, unlike previous marvel TV outings, and yet it'll be for nought as likely this won't be carried across to the new show.

Where you getting that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd imagine there will be a season 2 but won't be for a while yet. Think of it like the films, which have 2 films a year, I can see Netflix doing 2 seasons a year

Where you getting that from?

It's something I've seen mentioned around the place. Has there been a confirmation of follow on series? I believe that DD season 2 was announced pretty quick in or around season 1 and the fact we've heard nothing about JJ S2, I believe?, makes me think there might not be second seasons of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

It's something I've seen mentioned around the place. Has there been a confirmation of follow on series? I believe that DD season 2 was announced pretty quick in or around season 1 and the fact we've heard nothing about JJ S2, I believe?, makes me think there might not be second seasons of either.
    Jessica Jones was renewed for a second season. JJ S2 is being filmed back-to-back with The Defenders, with the potential for overlap between the two. A second season of Luke Cage wouldn't debut until 2018. I believe the plan for the Netflix series is:

Iron Fist - 17th March, 2017
    The Defenders - 2017
    The Punisher - 2017
    Jessica Jones, Season 2 - 2018
    Daredevil, Season 3 - 2018

Daredevil was renewed very quickly yes but Jessica Jones wasn't announced for renewal until almost 2 months after season one was released. I'd say he'll easily get a second season at least.

ah here!

*starts counting tv shows and films on fingers*
    *includes marvels, DCs, star wars, aliens, predators games of throneseses, west worlds, spidermans, deadpools, xmens, star treks, strangerer things, mr robots*

*whimper*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone else thinking there was something significant hiding
    in the swear jar

Nope... what'd you have in mind?

• Advertisement

Franklin, Grant and... Jackson? :D

Advertisement