Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel’s Luke Cage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Iron Fist will more than likely include Luke Cage at some point even if just as a cameo, I have seen up to episode 8 so far, first 6 were great, good arc now it's just dragging, I think Netflix needs to adapt the ten episode approach for show, cut out the filler episodes they're pointless.

I heard an interview with Mike Filter and he said that he hadn't even met the guy playing Iron Fist yet. They're already filming that so I doubt we'll see LC crop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I heard an interview with Mike Filter and he said that he hadn't even met the guy playing Iron Fist yet. They're already filming that so I doubt we'll see LC crop up.

Mike Colter?

Here's a pic of them together last week:

https://socialfeed.info/no-big-deal-thedefenders-unite-nycc2016-5839033

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mike Colter?

Stupid autocorrect
    Here's a pic of them together last week:

Ah, well at the time of the interview they hadn't met. My bad.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Stupid autocorrect

Ah, well at the time of the interview they hadn't met. My bad.

You're probably right though and tbh, needing out on seeing Power Man and Iron Fist together for the first time aside, I'd prefer Luke Cage didn't feature in Iron Fist. There's so much to do without getting into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

For me Luke Cage was a very frustrating show. There was a lot I liked about it but also a lot that really tested my patience. I really liked the characters, performances, setting & music but the story itself was easily the weakest of any Marvel show. They didn't have enough story to fill the 13 episodes so they stretched the plot out and consequently much of it felt like it was running in circles going nowhere.

For much of the series Cage was a very reactive character - how often did we have to listen to other characters telling him to step up and be a hero? In fact for a lot of the time he wasn't just reactive but inactive - the story neutered him on multiple occasions so that he sat on the sidelines. Both DD & JJ has mid season slumps but at least their finales built up to a climax. Cage just limped across the finish line.

Here are some spoiler thoughts -
    What was the point of Cage getting shot *twice*? What did shooting him a 2nd time accomplish from a story point that the first shooting didn't? All it was just dragging out the story for no good reason. I had a big problem with the very end of the series : Cage is right back at square 1 (prison). Yeah we know the folder will exonerate him but we don't get to see that so it feels like a defeat. The villain (Mariah) has essentially won - she has ascended to the throne of mob boss of Harlem, Cage is in prison. What exactly did Cage accomplish?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've only just finished episode 6, and it's a slow-paced beast for sure, which I think makes it incompatible for binge-watching IMO. Binge watching seems more appropriate for more action driven shows. Luke Cage's seeped in atmosphere and style, and sure, not a lot happens within each episode, but its pace isn't tedious; it just has a very lazy, easy-going tone about it that makes the occasional visit to Harlem very rewarding in its own right. Honestly, scrap the superheroics and it'd still be a great series to watch.

Still waiting for that Marvel Netflix downturn in the back-half, but so far I'd go so far as to say this is the first Netflix:Marvel show I've liked & enjoyed without reservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I enjoyed the series but felt it went downhill towards the end.

Sorry hard keeping track of all these different rules on TV discussions.
    Had the the show aired on normal TV id have been free to discuss anything about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For f*cks sake Lucas Hood use spoilers tags. That's one big surprise ruined. Thanks.

edit: damage done, but appreciate editing post for the sake of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

How long do we need to use spoiler tags for online shows? Luke Cage has been available for 3 weeks now.

How long do we need to use spoiler tags for online shows? Luke Cage has been available for 3 weeks now.

As long as that? :rolleyes:;) Not everyone watches it at the same pace or binges it in a weekend; were this a 'normal' show it'd be at least another 10 weeks before it had finished its broadcast run. It's only fair and a simple nod of politeness that people use spoiler tags for those still watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have no problem using spoiler tags, but if i was still watching Luke Cage at a slower pace, I would just avoid this thread.
    Its obvious people binge watch, and after 3 weeks...

anyway....

pixelburp wrote: »
    As long as that? :rolleyes:;) Not everyone watches it at the same pace or binges it in a weekend; were this a 'normal' show it'd be at least another 10 weeks before it had finished its broadcast run. It's only fair and a simple nod of politeness that people use spoiler tags for those still watching.
    But it's not a "normal" show, it doesn't air over however many weeks, must people binge the show, and those that don't should stay out of this thread until they've watched it all.

I actually didn't binge it really either, or in one weekend, I watched 1-2 episodes at a time, and didn't read this thread until I had watched all 13, so no spoilers for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So when do we stop spoilering posts on Netflix threads?

1500 minutes or so after the release of the series?

But it's not a "normal" show, it doesn't air over however many weeks, must people binge the show, and those that don't should stay out of this thread until they've watched it all.

I actually didn't binge it really either, or in one weekend, I watched 1-2 episodes at a time, and didn't read this thread until I had watched all 13, so no spoilers for me.

Why should people stay out of the thread, its not exactly unreasonable that some folks might want to discuss a show or add their thoughts as they watch? No, Netflix shows aren't completely normal, but as viewership basically comes down to a free for all, it only means a little more discretion should be given. Some spoiler tags aren't asking too much, under the circumstances.

Honestly, the Online TV Forum feels dead enough as it stands and I think in part that''s down to the lack of continuous discussion that comes with other TV threads on the main forum as shows air. Not sure how that could be solved but there's noteworthy lack of discussion beyond potted thoughts after the fact.

General rule for TV and film threads is use spoiler tags until a mod edits the thread title to indicate otherwise. It's not exactly tasking to hit the Spoiler button.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

General rule for TV and film threads is use spoiler tags until a mod edits the thread title to indicate otherwise. It's not exactly tasking to hit the Spoiler button.
    Sweet Christmas..... your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As someone who got bored of Daredevil season 2 and didn't even finish, is Luke Cage worth watching, or does it follow a similar style/tone/forumla? I stopped watching DD with about 3 episodes left, but it was sort of grating on me for a few episodes even before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Personally, I found this to be the worst of the Netflix/Marvel collaborations by some margin. First 6 episodes are pretty good. Then it falls apart completely.

With regards to spoiler posts - my personal opinion is that it should be fair game once .. maybe 2 months have passed, heck maybe even a month. If you haven't seen the whole series, especially one where all episodes are available from the start, then you should just avoid these threads.
    As someone who got bored of Daredevil season 2 and didn't even finish, is Luke Cage worth watching, or does it follow a similar style/tone/forumla? I stopped watching DD with about 3 episodes left, but it was sort of grating on me for a few episodes even before that.

My opinion is that LC is one of the few Marvel TV shows so far that feels like it inhabits an actual living world. It's a slow burner, sure, but when it gets going it gets going. I really disliked the character of Luke in Jessica Jones, because there was nothing interesting about him. But given his own show, he really pulls it off.

Heck, even just watch it for the soundtrack alone.

No spoilers in this, don't worry. Just one of the many awesome songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Soundtrack really is fantastic tbh.

Take your time with it; its pace is demonstrably slower than both Daredevil and Jessica Jones, which watched in a glut could try a person's patience. Nothing's in a rush in this show, characters don't even walk in and out of shot in a hurry so personally I've found it a good show to just relax and take in the setting a bit more.

Tonally, it's much different to the other shows: neither laden with grief like JJ, or the over-boiled noir of Daredevil. There's also a distinct sense of place that feels more earned & organic than the constant bleating about Hell's Kitchen that Murdock & co. wouldn't shut up about.

My main gripe with Luke Cage is mostly about the titular character: he's fine. He's OK like & thankfully doesn't whinge about the suffering of the hero, but the people around him are far more interesting than himself. To the point where someone like Misty Knight deserves her own show more than The Punisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The thought just occurred to me after a warm brew this chilly evening... Sweet Christmas! What's wrong with Luke Cage! How can he possibly not like coffee?!

Slydice wrote: »
    The thought just occurred to me after a warm brew this chilly evening... Sweet Christmas! What's wrong with Luke Cage! How can he possibly not like coffee?!

*holds up hand*
    Can't abide the stuff myself either. Tea? Lovely jubbly and I do like Tiramasu, but the actual drink is just horrid, bitter stuff.

Finally finished all 13 episodes and while the ending was a bit of a damp squib, the show definitely didn't derail itself as spectacularly as Daredevil managed two times over.

Seems like Luke Cage attracted a very varying opinion, but for me that was the first Netflix Marvel production I genuinely enjoyed watching start to finish. Good cast, great soundtrack, setting; it all felt like a show that wasn't trying as hard as the others. Cage himself wasn't that interesting in the end, but the characters surrounding him made up for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just rewatched the first 2 episodes..
    So good, unreal music in Cottonmouths club..
    Cottonmouth, Mariah, Luke, Misty and Pops.. Worked so well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Season 2 begins on June 22nd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

^also continuing with the brilliant soundtrack based on the jam in that clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I assume it's advertising for Season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this, I remain optimistic at least one of these Netflix Marvel shows manage to work out their pacing problems; Luke Cage was really enjoyable but as usual the back third of the season just went off the rails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,242 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They revealed far too much in that trailer imo.

Bumping thread as season 2 is out today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

pixelburp wrote: »
    Bumping thread as season 2 is out today.
    Yeah I'm looking forward to getting into this.
    Plus I love that the episode titles are track names from Pete Rock & CL Smooth. Plus Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (A Tribe Called Quest) have scored this season.

I'll try to catch at least the first episode tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 episodes in and I hate to admit that I sometimes need the subtitles on to know what the Jamaicans are saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The subtitles actually "translate" to regular English. It's not quite as heavy as the Airplane jive talking but it's not far off.

They don't always translate either. I noticed it sometimes but not every time

Enjoying ok this so far, again though the music is the real stand out in it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've three watched, it's slow going but each episode is slowly ratcheting it up. Lets hope it doesn't peak too early this time.

Wow that was a very unexpected and well done scene with shades and che in episode 6.

• Advertisement

It's a bit redundant to say this about the Netflix Marvel shows, but again, 13 hours of this crap is just way too much. It feels bloated, and it drags. 10 episodes would be plenty.

I liked
    Iron Fist
    appearing, as it makes the shows feel actually connected. Which reminds me, I read recently there's no current plans for a second season of The Defenders, fine, but what are the second seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, and the third season of Daredevil building towards? Nothing? The first seasons of each (and second of Daredevil) were at least building towards something, even if it did take 65 long hours to do so.

It's a bit redundant to say this about the Netflix Marvel shows, but again, 13 hours of this crap is just way too much. It feels bloated, and it drags. 10 episodes would be plenty.

I liked
    Iron Fist
    appearing, as it makes the shows feel actually connected. Which reminds me, I read recently there's no current plans for a second season of The Defenders, fine, but what are the second seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, and the third season of Daredevil building towards? Nothing? The first seasons of each (and second of Daredevil) were at least building towards something, even if it did take 65 long hours to do so.

What does any season of any TV show usually build to? The next season. The Marvel Netflix shows may not be building towards another season of The Defenders, but they'll each just continue with seasons of their own shows, with the occasional crossover, guest appearances or references to each other.

I've only caught the first episode, but it definitely dragged in some places. Weird pacing issues too. And that's coming from someone who quite liked the slower pace of season 1 but the first episode was just a little aimless.

Interestingly, the premiere was directed by Lucy Liu of all people; did know she directed.

Penn wrote: »
    What does any season of any TV show usually build to? The next season. The Marvel Netflix shows may not be building towards another season of The Defenders, but they'll each just continue with seasons of their own shows, with the occasional crossover, guest appearances or references to each other.
    Yes, I know how regular TV shows work. However, in 2015, this was promoted as being the TV model version of the MCU film design. A character gets their own movie/TV season, then another character, maybe a sequel/another season, however many character movies/seasons, then a team-up mega event movie/miniseries. They're still making Avenger movies (btw, I haven't seen Infinity War*, so no spoilers please), so why not more Defenders seasons? Because they're lazy, and it takes a lot of effort, is my guess. They get distracted by reception too, I don't think a second season of Daredevil before the miniseries was the original plan.

*Luke Cage: Season 2, and I imagine, Iron Fist: Season 2 and Daredevil: Season 3 are all set before Infinity War.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

JJ season 1 and LC season 1 had pretty much nothing to do with the build up to the stuff with the hand before Defenders so it doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a build up to something else kicking off at some point in one of the other shows.

I think these things work better when the individual shows can stand on their own anyway, same is true of the Marvel films imo.

Yes, I know how regular TV shows work. However, in 2015, this was promoted as being the TV model version of the MCU film design. A character gets their own movie/TV season, then another character, maybe a sequel/another season, however many character movies/seasons, then a team-up mega event movie/miniseries. They're still making Avenger movies (btw, I haven't seen Infinity War*, so no spoilers please), so why not more Defenders seasons? Because they're lazy, and it takes a lot of effort, is my guess. They get distracted by reception too, I don't think a second season of Daredevil before the miniseries was the original plan.

*Luke Cage: Season 2, and I imagine, Iron Fist: Season 2 and Daredevil: Season 3 are all set before Infinity War.

Apologies, I didn't mean for my post to sound condescending. Just that, yeah the first few seasons built up to The Defenders, but by doing so they did live up to their promise of a connected Netflix MCU universe. The shows reference each other and intertwine and crossover. But at the same time I think they're making the right call by not doing The Defenders just for the sake of it. Just let the characters have their own shows and build long-form stories for these characters rather than just aiming them towards a Defenders story. Plus not tying themselves down to having to aim towards The Defenders could allow for new shows with other characters, like how we got The Punisher.

Having too many shows, with crossovers/guest appearances, plus bringing them together for a group show like Defenders... it runs the risk of over-saturation, people not watching some of the shows and not knowing what's going on (as it's a bigger commitment than watching the movies) and delays seasons of the individual shows because of actor availability.

I do hope they bring The Defenders back, as I really enjoyed it. But they should do it when they properly have a story worth doing it for, rather than doing it every 2-3 years as standard.

In episode 7. I think
    this show is really called the Mariah Stokes show guest starring Luke Cage

I'm up to 10 now and whoever said these should be 10 and not 13 episodes was spot on. Little of what happened thus far was unexpected, plays out pretty much by the Marvel Netflix numbers and very dragged out in places.

It's not terrible viewing though I do find myself zoning out at times.

Finished it last night. I enjoyed it more than Season 1 I have to say, as Season 1 really lost itself in the second half and Diamondback was a horrible villain. It wasn't a perfect season, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

still 2 eps to go for me ...I think .
    So far better than Season 1 , but it suffers from the same thing I see in other series or movies. Its like people have forgotten how to right villains properly . everyone one must have there redeming features hidden way .I so far found the swapping of Mariah tone annoying its feels inconsistant like they never really knew what character they were building . Great actress under used. Shades (Theo Rossi) meh , feels at times im looking at the comic book page and then i see people moving around him .Slightly better this season but he seems to be outta his depth at acting in this . I like Comanche , good roll and he seems so add strenght in the scenes he is in and it helps those around him . Bushmaster is well played , but Its missing something the real fear . For the Marvel world here I keep going back to Vincent D'onofrio as king pin ...that was a master class both acting and just the underlying menace that he was/is . Luke Cage needs a King Pin but it is not Mariah Stone or Bushmaster

Advertisement