Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel’s Luke Cage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nope... what'd you have in mind?
    Not sure, just the way it was emphasised and rescued after some major events I thought there might be something to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

flazio wrote: »
    Not sure, just the way it was emphasised and rescued after some major events I thought there might be something to it.

The swear jar represented a lost age of innocence that Pop was trying to reignite in the neighbourhood by teaching kids (and leading from the front) simple values. This informed and inspired much of Luke's motivations, which is why he made sure to retrieve it. It was him saying "I believe in what Pop was trying to do and I'm gonna continue to strive for it."

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi All
    Haven't read any of above posts as I am trying to avoid spoilers

Thought ep1-5 were ok
    Really struggled with Ep 6-9 - Some of the acting was so bad it makes a TV3 drama look like an Emmy award winning show!

Is it worth persevering?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

geecee wrote: »
    Hi All
    Haven't read any of above posts as I am trying to avoid spoilers

Thought ep1-5 were ok
    Really struggled with Ep 6-9 - Some of the acting was so bad it makes a TV3 drama look like an Emmy award winning show!

Is it worth persevering?

Well if you stuck with it for 9 episodes you might as well finish off the last 4 and them make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Well if you stuck with it for 9 episodes you might as well finish off the last 4 and them make your mind up.

The last 4 have been torturous though! So I don't know if I could stand that waste of my life!

Anybody else I know gave up after 5-6 episodes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

geecee wrote: »
    The last 4 have been torturous though! So I don't know if I could stand that waste of my life!

you have another 1 or 2 along the same lines to get over

then, aside from the luke cage main story, the rest look like they will be useful to know for future marvel series on netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Thumbs up from me !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

geecee wrote:

I wish I had. Can't think of very many redeeming qualities in the last few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Awful awful show.

Compared to DD it is meandering and boring. They could have wrapped up that season in 6 episodes.

Great soundtrack tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Iron Fist will more than likely include Luke Cage at some point even if just as a cameo, I have seen up to episode 8 so far, first 6 were great, good arc now it's just dragging, I think Netflix needs to adapt the ten episode approach for show, cut out the filler episodes they're pointless.

• Advertisement

Iron Fist will more than likely include Luke Cage at some point even if just as a cameo, I have seen up to episode 8 so far, first 6 were great, good arc now it's just dragging, I think Netflix needs to adapt the ten episode approach for show, cut out the filler episodes they're pointless.

I heard an interview with Mike Filter and he said that he hadn't even met the guy playing Iron Fist yet. They're already filming that so I doubt we'll see LC crop up.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I heard an interview with Mike Filter and he said that he hadn't even met the guy playing Iron Fist yet. They're already filming that so I doubt we'll see LC crop up.

Mike Colter?

Here's a pic of them together last week:

https://socialfeed.info/no-big-deal-thedefenders-unite-nycc2016-5839033

Mike Colter?

Stupid autocorrect
    Here's a pic of them together last week:

Ah, well at the time of the interview they hadn't met. My bad.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Stupid autocorrect

Ah, well at the time of the interview they hadn't met. My bad.

You're probably right though and tbh, needing out on seeing Power Man and Iron Fist together for the first time aside, I'd prefer Luke Cage didn't feature in Iron Fist. There's so much to do without getting into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

For me Luke Cage was a very frustrating show. There was a lot I liked about it but also a lot that really tested my patience. I really liked the characters, performances, setting & music but the story itself was easily the weakest of any Marvel show. They didn't have enough story to fill the 13 episodes so they stretched the plot out and consequently much of it felt like it was running in circles going nowhere.

For much of the series Cage was a very reactive character - how often did we have to listen to other characters telling him to step up and be a hero? In fact for a lot of the time he wasn't just reactive but inactive - the story neutered him on multiple occasions so that he sat on the sidelines. Both DD & JJ has mid season slumps but at least their finales built up to a climax. Cage just limped across the finish line.

Here are some spoiler thoughts -
    What was the point of Cage getting shot *twice*? What did shooting him a 2nd time accomplish from a story point that the first shooting didn't? All it was just dragging out the story for no good reason. I had a big problem with the very end of the series : Cage is right back at square 1 (prison). Yeah we know the folder will exonerate him but we don't get to see that so it feels like a defeat. The villain (Mariah) has essentially won - she has ascended to the throne of mob boss of Harlem, Cage is in prison. What exactly did Cage accomplish?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've only just finished episode 6, and it's a slow-paced beast for sure, which I think makes it incompatible for binge-watching IMO. Binge watching seems more appropriate for more action driven shows. Luke Cage's seeped in atmosphere and style, and sure, not a lot happens within each episode, but its pace isn't tedious; it just has a very lazy, easy-going tone about it that makes the occasional visit to Harlem very rewarding in its own right. Honestly, scrap the superheroics and it'd still be a great series to watch.

Still waiting for that Marvel Netflix downturn in the back-half, but so far I'd go so far as to say this is the first Netflix:Marvel show I've liked & enjoyed without reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I enjoyed the series but felt it went downhill towards the end.

Sorry hard keeping track of all these different rules on TV discussions.
    Had the the show aired on normal TV id have been free to discuss anything about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For f*cks sake Lucas Hood use spoilers tags. That's one big surprise ruined. Thanks.

edit: damage done, but appreciate editing post for the sake of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

How long do we need to use spoiler tags for online shows? Luke Cage has been available for 3 weeks now.

How long do we need to use spoiler tags for online shows? Luke Cage has been available for 3 weeks now.

As long as that? :rolleyes:;) Not everyone watches it at the same pace or binges it in a weekend; were this a 'normal' show it'd be at least another 10 weeks before it had finished its broadcast run. It's only fair and a simple nod of politeness that people use spoiler tags for those still watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have no problem using spoiler tags, but if i was still watching Luke Cage at a slower pace, I would just avoid this thread.
    Its obvious people binge watch, and after 3 weeks...

anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

pixelburp wrote: »
    As long as that? :rolleyes:;) Not everyone watches it at the same pace or binges it in a weekend; were this a 'normal' show it'd be at least another 10 weeks before it had finished its broadcast run. It's only fair and a simple nod of politeness that people use spoiler tags for those still watching.
    But it's not a "normal" show, it doesn't air over however many weeks, must people binge the show, and those that don't should stay out of this thread until they've watched it all.

I actually didn't binge it really either, or in one weekend, I watched 1-2 episodes at a time, and didn't read this thread until I had watched all 13, so no spoilers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So when do we stop spoilering posts on Netflix threads?

1500 minutes or so after the release of the series?

But it's not a "normal" show, it doesn't air over however many weeks, must people binge the show, and those that don't should stay out of this thread until they've watched it all.

I actually didn't binge it really either, or in one weekend, I watched 1-2 episodes at a time, and didn't read this thread until I had watched all 13, so no spoilers for me.

Why should people stay out of the thread, its not exactly unreasonable that some folks might want to discuss a show or add their thoughts as they watch? No, Netflix shows aren't completely normal, but as viewership basically comes down to a free for all, it only means a little more discretion should be given. Some spoiler tags aren't asking too much, under the circumstances.

Honestly, the Online TV Forum feels dead enough as it stands and I think in part that''s down to the lack of continuous discussion that comes with other TV threads on the main forum as shows air. Not sure how that could be solved but there's noteworthy lack of discussion beyond potted thoughts after the fact.

General rule for TV and film threads is use spoiler tags until a mod edits the thread title to indicate otherwise. It's not exactly tasking to hit the Spoiler button.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

General rule for TV and film threads is use spoiler tags until a mod edits the thread title to indicate otherwise. It's not exactly tasking to hit the Spoiler button.
    Sweet Christmas..... your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As someone who got bored of Daredevil season 2 and didn't even finish, is Luke Cage worth watching, or does it follow a similar style/tone/forumla? I stopped watching DD with about 3 episodes left, but it was sort of grating on me for a few episodes even before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Personally, I found this to be the worst of the Netflix/Marvel collaborations by some margin. First 6 episodes are pretty good. Then it falls apart completely.

• With regards to spoiler posts - my personal opinion is that it should be fair game once .. maybe 2 months have passed, heck maybe even a month. If you haven't seen the whole series, especially one where all episodes are available from the start, then you should just avoid these threads.
    As someone who got bored of Daredevil season 2 and didn't even finish, is Luke Cage worth watching, or does it follow a similar style/tone/forumla? I stopped watching DD with about 3 episodes left, but it was sort of grating on me for a few episodes even before that.

My opinion is that LC is one of the few Marvel TV shows so far that feels like it inhabits an actual living world. It's a slow burner, sure, but when it gets going it gets going. I really disliked the character of Luke in Jessica Jones, because there was nothing interesting about him. But given his own show, he really pulls it off.

Heck, even just watch it for the soundtrack alone.

No spoilers in this, don't worry. Just one of the many awesome songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Soundtrack really is fantastic tbh.

Advertisement