Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Snowfall of the Winter

• 07-10-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭

Let's have a game, lighten up the forum!

Let's guess when the first snowfall happens, and for bonus points where!

My guess is 4th December, Knock Airport.

Clarification:
    The location must be in Ireland, and can be on a hill but not a mountain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

25th December, Cork Airport. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Let's have a game, lighten up the forum!

Let's guess when the first snowfall happens, and for bonus points where!

My guess is 4th December, Knock Airport.

Slieve Snaght in Donegal December 13th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vladivstok. In a fortnight or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

November 12th at my house.

I think I had the first snow last year on Nov 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

At what altitude are we talking? I can see mountains from my window and they'll get a snowy cap long before we'll see flakes at our level. They've already had first snow on scottish Highlands.
    Are we talking first snow at less than 500 ft above sea level or anywhere on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I'll go Mountainy Man's house too but the 3rd December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It can easily happen to quite low levels this month - see these pics from seven years ago when I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57727429

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not saying this will be the first snow but I am expecting some widespread light snow in late November as patterns may try to emulate 2010 -- not that intense, but timing will be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

2 new places in ireland i wasnt aware of,vladivstok and the scottish highlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

First snow November 28th at 0700am knock airport n mountainymans house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    It can easily happen to quite low levels this month - see these pics from seven years ago when I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57727429

Lovely October snow! I remember my earliest snow here was 21st October. Think it was 2003?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first likely snow fall anywhere between Kerry and Donegal with atlantic snow showers sometime December. Mountainyman most likely to report first snow fall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'm going to say for the craic The Mourne Mountains , Dec. 9th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I'm going with Dec 1st, Knock Airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The Great Sugarloaf ,co.wicklow ( I think you could call that a hill) on the 19th of November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Slieve Bawn, Co. Roscommon
    1st December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I rem in 2009 we got a week of snow down here in the Old head of Kinsale in Nov. A small amount and we were the only place who got it at the time, (didnt even get as far as ballinspittle) but will chance my arm and say Kinsale 29th Nov :-)

Hope springs eternal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Probably 20th November at Knock and maybe the 30th for Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Probably 20th November at Knock and maybe the 30th for Shannon Airport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

31 October 2008, we had nearly 2 inchs of snow here, I was in Germany at the time, I remember reading much of Leinster had snow that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

I'm gonna take a stab at 29th November as its my birthday:pac: South Dublin foothills (think 3rock might be too high to qualify).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

March 1st 2017 Derryveagh Mountains for a few hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I ment to post some pictures on the winter thread last week. Just getting around now to doing it. This was last thursday (06/10/16) in Southern Poland in my village@ 1010m ASL. My house had snow (650m ASL) but only about 5-10cm. Above 900m there was over 40cm.

399096.jpg399097.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'll go for December 28th and Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snaps you are looking for boards.pl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Nabber wrote: »
    Snaps you are looking for boards.pl

Haha, I'm an ex pat that moved over to the eastside 3 years ago. I was a regular poster here before I made the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭John mac

another one for nov 28 knock (

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

February 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

November 18th, Glencree.

• Advertisement

I posted earlier without actually entering the contest, as far as measurable snow at weather stations, I will guess 20 Nov around Ballyhaise, Dunsany and possibly other locations in Leinster. There could be reports of snow on hills before that of course. From current charts it does not look too likely before second week of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My in-laws have had snow for a few weeks in northern Slovakia. They're at 500m asl.

That's probably a bit earlier than most years too. Same goes around here in southern BC, some big dumps of snow recently in the local mountains, I would say mostly above 800m asl.

I am sticking to my snow guns and saying at least half-measure repeat of 2010 shaping up, it may not be the epic event we saw then, but remember how mild it was in the first half of November? The mean temperature fell from about 10 C after first week to 4 C end of month and the last week averaged below zero in places.

If we can just get a bit of that pattern snow should be a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's probably a bit earlier than most years too. Same goes around here in southern BC, some big dumps of snow recently in the local mountains, I would say mostly above 800m asl.

I am sticking to my snow guns and saying at least half-measure repeat of 2010 shaping up, it may not be the epic event we saw then, but remember how mild it was in the first half of November? The mean temperature fell from about 10 C after first week to 4 C end of month and the last week averaged below zero in places.

If we can just get a bit of that pattern snow should be a formality.

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:pac::pac:[/quote]
    Snow must be close if leahyl is back :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Are we allowed to put in a second guess :rolleyes:

Well I did pick the Mourne Mts but read Carnacalla's first post properly this time and see he mentions allowing Hills so I better pick another . Looking at the charts it would seem to cool down a fair bit around the 6th for a few days at least and purely by looking at the charts I am going to say a chance of snowfall at Lough Fea in the early hours of the 8th Nov :)

dxCetYt.png?1

Kqupr5m.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

first dusting on the galtees today1zgth8y.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

first dusting on the galtees today

Thats frost not snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

jimbis wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a stab at 29th November as its my birthday:pac: South Dublin foothills (think 3rock might be too high to qualify).

Ha, We share the same birthday!

So 29th Nov for me too, reported at Dublin airport. (promise I wont edit the feed to suit).:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

first dusting on the galtees today1zgth8y.jpg

Not snow that's frost!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A decent wedge of snow possible for the Scottish highlands late Tuesday

nmmuk-1-55-0.png?06-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A decent wedge of snow possible for the Scottish highlands late Tuesday

Yep - snow warning out for us for tomorrow, don't know if it will go as low as where I live (near Glasgow, about 130m asl) but parts of my commute are up around 200m so it could be interesting tomorrow evening. Had to scrape the ice off the car for the first time this year this morning.

BBC forecast looks hopeful for Tuesday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650405

today struggled to get much past 7C here. Very sharp frost last night which stayed around till 11am.

Could be an early frost tonight but milder and wet later in the night. Not sure even our high ground will see any wintryness. Next weekend is looking quite mild with temps possibly reaching 16C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Bit late to this but I'm going for 5th Dec at Knock, a perfect way to start a Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The_A

November 14th, dunno where

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rain tomorrow will initially fall as snow in some places before turning back to rain according to Met Eireann.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

hmm with any luck the 24th December in Kildare:)

I grew up travelling north on Stephens day ,when I was very little I thought that Ireland always got snow then!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Batten down the hatches, the forecast on RTE has just mentioned the "snow" word,:D:D:D as the warm front comes in and meets up with the cold air that's over the country at the moment.

As for where, or how much, that was left somewhat vague, but it would seem that almost anywhere on the east side of the country could possible see some flakes, but not for long.

Wasn't expecting to be seeing flakes quite this early, but there will be some that will be happy to see it. The forum mods probably won't be so pleased to see things go mad here this early in the winter, March is still a LONG time away :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm going to be standing around up in the hills around Glendalough on Saturday night marshalling a charity walk, so if it does snow I'll be sure to take a few photographs for you all if I don't freeze to the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sadly the Temps haven't gotten down anywhere near as low as expected, so no snow likely, unless of course you live on top of the Wicklow mountains or something to that accord. Lowest temperature a Met Eireann weather station is recording is 2c at 1am, highest is 10c at Mace Head!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sadly the Temps haven't gotten down anywhere near as low as expected, so no snow likely, unless of course you live on top of the Wicklow mountains or something to that accord. Lowest temperature a Met Eireann weather station is recording is 2c at 1am, highest is 10c at Mace Head!

not a chance of snow, it's several degrees milder than what met eireann predicted earlier.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement