Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Snowfall of the Winter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

MT's post this morning made me squeal in delight ....it's happening !!!

"OUTLOOK ... Frequent showers and gusty winds, near normal temperatures for most of next week, with the week following that (after 18th November) looking quite cold in more of a northerly regime. If there's going to be some significant frost and scattered snow showers, current indications would suggest 20th to 24th looking like that window of opportunity. Having said that there are no charts yet suggesting heavy snow or severe cold. "

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

NMB wrote: »
    MT's post this morning made me squeal in delight ....it's happening !!!

"OUTLOOK ... Frequent showers and gusty winds, near normal temperatures for most of next week, with the week following that (after 18th November) looking quite cold in more of a northerly regime. If there's going to be some significant frost and scattered snow showers, current indications would suggest 20th to 24th looking like that window of opportunity. Having said that there are no charts yet suggesting heavy snow or severe cold. "

Mmmm....maybe I am missing something but doesn't his post indicate there are no charts yet showing snow or severe cold? 😆😆....so I wouldn't be jumping for joy. Also if you are a new poster, please heed a very strong health warning in respect of winter weather in Ireland, 80% of the time anticipated snow never materialises. The golden rule is if the forecast snow is not within a 24-48 hour timeline, it's unlikely. Stick to that rule and you won't go far wrong 😉

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

derekon wrote: »
    Mmmm....maybe I am missing something but doesn't his post indicate there are no charts yet showing snow or severe cold? 😆😆....so I wouldn't be jumping for joy. Also if you are a new poster, please heed a very strong health warning in respect of winter weather in Ireland, 80% of the time anticipated snow never materialises. The golden rule is if the forecast snow is not within a 24-48 hour timeline, it's unlikely. Stick to that rule and you won't go far wrong 😉

D

Morning ! not my first ride on the polarcoaster and I'll take anything from MT as a trip to paddypower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes and if 4 or 5 days of snow promised 20th to 24th

We will likely get 3 hours of wintry showers one of those mornings then rain

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes and if 4 or 5 days of snow promised 20th to 24th

We will likely get 3 hours of wintry showers one of those mornings then rain

Glad to see your optimistic outlook hasnt changed over the years. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

My Dad says that around 6am this morning in Tipp there was a very very light snow falling! Nothing that lodged or stayed around though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

also another thing to bear in mind for newcomers is no matter how snowy and cold the Uk forecasts become, those forecasts often bear no relation of what it's like in Ireland. Ive seen plenty of 12C differences between Dublin and the UK in both winter and summer.

It's still not winter yet so plenty of time for snow to finally make a decent appearance for the first time since Christmas Day 2010.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

todays relentless rain is now across Scotland and bringing heavy snow to many places already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Snow here for the last hour, starting to stick now

DSC_8506.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Glasgow airport reporting Snow and 0c at 20:20,

Snow in the forecast for Manchester, Liverpool, Doncaster and Leeds Bradford airports, with sleet in the forecast for Stansted, Luton, Edinburgh, Birmingham, East Midlands and Inverness airports.

Some snow in the Ardennes, Belgium a couple of days ago.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2814072

we could be looking on with envy with snow reports all over the UK media tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking at the charts into the rest of the month and not looking that cool at all for us with a more Atlantic type weather, MT mentioned a colder spell around the 20 - 24 Nov. Long range charts showing big lows tracking North of us and dragging down strong Northely winds around then corresponding with cold uppers. Gonzo summoned it up I think the best :
    usually the cold is always 10 days away and this 10 days away is usually chased for 3 months till we end up in mid March!
    :)

Glad to see your optimistic outlook hasnt changed over the years. :cool:

Youre right :pac:

If im negative I cant be dissappointed

Still though Ive a feeling we will have widespread snowfall sometime between now and Xmas due to

1. Rapid cooling of Arctic this month even though its way behind schedule
    2. Lack of strong winds
    3. MTs predictions
    4. Freezing conditions over Russia Siberia and many parts of Eastern Europe
    5. High trying to form over Greenland later in month
    6. Temperatures way less than previous years Novembers bar "that one"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A very decent dumping in Glasgow tonight, will probably be all gone by lunchtime tomorrow but impressive to get a couple of inches in early November all the same.

IMG_20161108_233043999_1.jpg

IMG_20161108_233055116_1.jpg

IMG_20161108_233112369_1.jpg

IMG_20161108_233117767_1.jpg

• Advertisement

Thats amazing, we didn't even get that much here in 2010 in West Clare!

Glasgow airport reporting rain for the past while, few transitions to snow though. Temp is only 1c there, so add a few meters to the elevation and its easily snow I suppose.

Manchester is reporting sleet, and Leeds Bradford airport snow, so I'd expect a fair bucket in those areas too by morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A very decent dumping in Glasgow tonight, will probably be all gone by lunchtime tomorrow but impressive to get a couple of inches in early November all the same.

Disappeared here by late morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

My pal in Sweden just posted photos of very deep snow last night, I'll try and post photo here shortly not sure how to from smartphone :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My pal in Sweden just posted photos of very deep snow last night, I'll try and post photo here shortly not sure how to from smartphone :)

:D
    https://twitter.com/AdmiralBulldog/status/796019492065255424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I'm in Stockholm this week. It's epic. Snow cannons the locals call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm dying for snow.. keep the pics coming!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saturday, 5th November. 15cm of snow and building (Western Norway)

foto97206.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Same here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The front page of a daily Swedish newspaper today

Cw4VKvNWIAAXaTV.jpg
    When Stockholm sank in snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Unfortunately this week's trip to Stockholm was for work, with a very busy schedule, and I left yesterday afternoon so I couldn't go wandering around to take snaps of the snow.

I did manage a few crappy snaps though from the train - these shots of remote platforms at the central station should give an idea of the snow accumulation as they weren't walked on.

There was about 5cm when I arrived monday night, a few more cm fell over tuesday - it was constantly falling in small amounts - and then on Wednesday night they had an unexpected large dumping and it snowed all day on Wednesday. It was hard work getting around on Wednesday morning but they make a big effort to carve single lanes cars on busier roads, and people trampled down narrow paths through the 15 inches or so of lying snow.

I was lucky to get out of there last night, a whole bunch of flights were cancelled in the morning and early afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did it snow in Lucan last night?

Did it snow in Lucan last night?

I very much doubt it, temps didn't seem low enough nor did there seem to be any precipitation around. How come you ask?

The first major snowfall of the Winter will arrive in the next 5 to 8 days

pauldry wrote: »
    The first major snowfall of the Winter will arrive in the next 5 to 8 days

maybe on high ground in the north and north-west but temps of 4-7C on low levels will make most showers of rain/hail or sleet in the north and west. Very little if anything in the east and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

16111718_1412.gif could be the first event this coming thurs :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Uppers going down to around -3C towards night, could be some white mountain tops next morning, probably not cold enough for snow proper to fall , wintry mix possibly with hail showers IMO.

qcYBwPE.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

gugsy wrote: »
    16111718_1412.gif could be the first event this coming thurs :D

Event?

Event?

Snow event, which fits in with the thread title.

I'm sceptical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Uppers going down to around -3C towards night, could be some white mountain tops next morning, probably not cold enough for snow proper to fall , wintry mix possibly with hail showers IMO.

qcYBwPE.png

With temps around 6-11 tonight even the mountains wont see any wintry showers.

Definitely wont snow tonight at 14.1C here near Tralee :)

That chart is for Thurs night.

Should drop below freezing in many areas early Fri morning away from Atlantic coasts, a fresh wind keeping temps probably just over freeing on windward coasts, brrrrr.... makes me cold thinking about it

ZQYnU10.gif

RznUEbl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Snow??? I came home from a run last night and didn't cool down till an hour later. Running in a t-**** on a November night?? Somethings not right here.

Those uppers are too low. Snow on high hills only I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd say we'll definitely see some mountain top snow this weekend. Charts are looking very stormy and cold for Sat/Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

This weekend is suddenly looking that little bit more interesting now!

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    This weekend is suddenly looking that little bit more interesting now!

Still looks like a non event for most of the country next weekend, it will be cold but for me the only game in town worth getting excited over is an easterly sourced freezer.

From next Tuesday we could see a north-easterly, so maybe some snow on high ground in Leinster. Northern Ireland for sure is likely to see some wintryness from Thursday onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

17 degrees on Nov 14th is an event of sorts cold rain on high mountains in November kinda isn't really.

17 degrees on Nov 14th is an event of sorts cold rain on high mountains in November kinda isn't really.

Oh, okay everyone just calm down, close the thread, we shouldn't get excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

18 degrees at Valentia early November 2010 if my memory serves me right...Just saying:)

dexter647 wrote: »
    18 degrees at Valentia early November 2010 if my memory serves me right...Just saying:)

Was it not up to 19c at the beginning at last November? Or is my mind deceiving me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was it not up to 19c at the beginning at last November? Or is my mind deceiving me?

Could very well have been but can't remember...Not unusual in autumn with a southwesterly originating from the tropics....Be nicer in the summer though:pac:

• Advertisement

dexter647 wrote: »
    Could very well have been but can't remember...Not unusual in autumn with a southwesterly originating from the tropics....Be nicer in the summer though:pac:

Even the 16c here yesterday was a bit unpleasant, hard to dress for that weather this time of year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The hills of East Clare should go pale this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,591 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Snow on hills quite likely from Thursday to about Monday, the low passing near the south coast on the weekend (Saturday night current timing) could bring several cms to elevations above 300m (southeast higher ground) with melting snow possible lower down by Sunday morning. The best chance for snow Thursday and Friday will be on higher slopes in northwest. Mixed showers at lower elevations, hail could be significant, snow is possible but won't stick very long (near sea level that is).

Then it turns a bit milder again with rain back to summit levels for a day or two next week, slightly colder after that.

December looks promising in terms of global patterns and there may be some episodes of wintry weather unlike last December which was one of the mildest on record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Your upsetting the snow bunnies

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Awaaf

<selective quote alert>

MT: "This precipitation may cut off north of Dublin to Clare"

Yoikes!!!!

PS I think I know what he meant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement