Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Snowfall of the Winter

• 07-10-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Let's have a game, lighten up the forum!

Let's guess when the first snowfall happens, and for bonus points where!

My guess is 4th December, Knock Airport.

Clarification:
    The location must be in Ireland, and can be on a hill but not a mountain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

25th December, Cork Airport. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Let's have a game, lighten up the forum!

Let's guess when the first snowfall happens, and for bonus points where!

My guess is 4th December, Knock Airport.

Slieve Snaght in Donegal December 13th!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vladivstok. In a fortnight or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

November 12th at my house.

I think I had the first snow last year on Nov 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

At what altitude are we talking? I can see mountains from my window and they'll get a snowy cap long before we'll see flakes at our level. They've already had first snow on scottish Highlands.
    Are we talking first snow at less than 500 ft above sea level or anywhere on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I'll go Mountainy Man's house too but the 3rd December.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It can easily happen to quite low levels this month - see these pics from seven years ago when I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57727429

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not saying this will be the first snow but I am expecting some widespread light snow in late November as patterns may try to emulate 2010 -- not that intense, but timing will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭droidman123

2 new places in ireland i wasnt aware of,vladivstok and the scottish highlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

First snow November 28th at 0700am knock airport n mountainymans house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    It can easily happen to quite low levels this month - see these pics from seven years ago when I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57727429

Lovely October snow! I remember my earliest snow here was 21st October. Think it was 2003?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first likely snow fall anywhere between Kerry and Donegal with atlantic snow showers sometime December. Mountainyman most likely to report first snow fall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'm going to say for the craic The Mourne Mountains , Dec. 9th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I'm going with Dec 1st, Knock Airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The Great Sugarloaf ,co.wicklow ( I think you could call that a hill) on the 19th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Slieve Bawn, Co. Roscommon
    1st December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I rem in 2009 we got a week of snow down here in the Old head of Kinsale in Nov. A small amount and we were the only place who got it at the time, (didnt even get as far as ballinspittle) but will chance my arm and say Kinsale 29th Nov :-)

Hope springs eternal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Probably 20th November at Knock and maybe the 30th for Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Probably 20th November at Knock and maybe the 30th for Shannon Airport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

31 October 2008, we had nearly 2 inchs of snow here, I was in Germany at the time, I remember reading much of Leinster had snow that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I'm gonna take a stab at 29th November as its my birthday:pac: South Dublin foothills (think 3rock might be too high to qualify).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

March 1st 2017 Derryveagh Mountains for a few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I ment to post some pictures on the winter thread last week. Just getting around now to doing it. This was last thursday (06/10/16) in Southern Poland in my village@ 1010m ASL. My house had snow (650m ASL) but only about 5-10cm. Above 900m there was over 40cm.

399096.jpg399097.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'll go for December 28th and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snaps you are looking for boards.pl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Nabber wrote: »
    Snaps you are looking for boards.pl

Haha, I'm an ex pat that moved over to the eastside 3 years ago. I was a regular poster here before I made the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

another one for nov 28 knock (

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

February 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

November 18th, Glencree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I posted earlier without actually entering the contest, as far as measurable snow at weather stations, I will guess 20 Nov around Ballyhaise, Dunsany and possibly other locations in Leinster. There could be reports of snow on hills before that of course. From current charts it does not look too likely before second week of November.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement