Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much wine to you drink?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

That's pretty much the only way I drink these days. As a teenager and college student I used to drink with the sole intention of getting drunk. Nowadays I'll have a bottle or two of nice beer or a glass of wine occasionally, like maybe once a fortnight-ish, just to enjoy the drinking of it. I don't really enjoy getting drunk anymore, I prefer to have my wits about me and full control of my faculties. Horses for courses I suppose.

I don't really enjoy the taste of any alcohol so my only reason to imbibe is to alter my mental state. But that's very rare these days. Sometimes it's nice to cut loose though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Where was this?

Nearly all pubs in Ireland nowadays have at least 1 non-alcohol beer available.

Normally becks which is muck

Hellrun wrote: »
    It's all good poison for you anyway. Everyone has their own taste though, I remember drinking crates of tennents like they were water back in my teens, I wouldnt drink a pint of tennents if you paid me now.

Tenants has an unfairly bad reputation imo, its actually not a bad beer and I'd prefer it to Heineken, Carlsberg etc.

The most one I can't understand is people's dislike of Bavaira, its my favoirite larger by a distance and my first choice to drink outside of a pub (in a pub my first choice is Guinness). It also doesn't give me bad hangover at all even after well into the double figures of cans. I think the fact it's relatively cheap people just assume its bad without ever trying it when in fact is vastly superior to what most people consider nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

is everybody spelling pinot grigio incorrectly on purpose ?

Auto correct on new phone. I didn't even notice it.

Anyway I absolutely despise non alcoholic substitutes for alcoholic drinks. Alcohol adds to the taste and non alcoholic stuff is just tasteless. I was allowed to drink wine with food on Sundays since I was about 13 (I tried it before) and it was not to get drunk but to accompany food. Like everyone I did drink to get drunk when I was a bit older but from the beginning wine was drank for taste in my family not to get drunk. When I know I will drink more I go for G&T. I enjoy the taste and hangovers aren't as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pïnouít Griórígiöut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

meeeeh wrote: »
    Auto correct on new phone. I didn't even notice it.

Anyway I absolutely despise non alcoholic substitutes for alcoholic drinks. Alcohol adds to the taste and non alcoholic stuff is just tasteless. I was allowed to drink wine with food on Sundays since I was about 13 (I tried it before) and it was not to get drunk but to accompany food. Like everyone I did drink to get drunk when I was a bit older but from the beginning wine was drank for taste in my family not to get drunk. When I know I will drink more I go for G&T. I enjoy the taste and hangovers aren't as bad.

Agree - I'd rather just have a sparkling water with a slice of lime :)

Non alcoholic substitutes are just empty calories IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I was in a pub as a designated driver about 6 weeks ago and they had 2 non-alcoholic beers.

I asked which he recommended and he said Erdinger was better than the other one (Can't remember which one). So I had Erdinger and it was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I drink far too much
    Im in college so Im not worrying about it though. its only the only 3/4 years of your life where you're expected to drink heavily 1-2 times per week so Ill make the most of it

ongarite wrote: »
    Never mind the units of alcohol, wine is incredibly calorie dense.
    Averaging 600-700 calories per bottle for red, if drinking a bottle a night thats nearly the equivalent of eating a pizza or chipper every day on top of your regular food intake.

Its true that alcohol is bad for weight because it slows down your metabolism for about 24 hours after you drink. But you don't gain weight because of the drink itself, alcohol is a toxin that is not easily digested by the body. And the alcohol is mostly digested in the liver rather than the usual intestines where our dinner is digested. So a lot of the calories goes out in our urine.

So say for instance there is 700 calories in a bottle of wine. And we need 2000 calories per day, if you were to live off wine by consuming the necessary calories in the form of about 3 bottles of wine per day and ate nothing else then the person would still be extremely skinny. Not recommending this as you'd probably die as alcohol has no nutritients whatsoever!

wakka12 wrote: »
    I drink far too much
    Im in college so Im not worrying about it though. its only the only 3/4 years of your life where you're expected to drink heavily 1-2 times per week so Ill make the most of it

That's what I was saying 10 years ago :pac:, Into my 30's now and things haven't changed much aside from going out with the work crowd rather than a college crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Prefer beer or whiskey myself, though a smooth red wine is nice. But I'd only drink about 4-5 pints a week or equivalent and rarely more than two at a time. Enjoy a couple but beyond that, just makes me feel off.

Like a lot of things, I'd say it depends on how much physical work or exercise you do. The human body needs to be used in a physical way. Exercise or physical work (both within reason) always helps both in terms of our physical mechanics but also our mental health. So if you are physically active in a good way, you'll get away with drinking more.

I drink 2-3 bottles of red wine a week. In my opinion that is not excessive.

Well by definition it is 'excess' as its over the guideline amount regardless of your gender. But that amounts not likely to cause you any significant health problems so its not dangerously excessive I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Not recommending this as you'd probably die as alcohol has no nutritients whatsoever!

I forgot which comedian said it first but Water hops and Barley , beer is a meal on its own !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not Irish, so I'm not sure how I would compare.
    I rarely drink wine. I like red wine, but in recent years I've found that for some red wines, any quantity (less than half a glass) consumed will give me a massive migraine the next day, so I'm now avoiding them altogether.
    I use white wine in cooking occasionally, but a bottle could easily
    Some friends here tell me they have no problem getting through a bottle in a single evening, and I find that astounding to say the least.

Astounding? You mustn't get out much, even for a German!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its true that alcohol is bad for weight because it slows down your metabolism for about 24 hours after you drink. But you don't gain weight because of the drink itself, alcohol is a toxin that is not easily digested by the body. And the alcohol is mostly digested in the liver rather than the usual intestines where our dinner is digested. So a lot of the calories goes out in our urine.

So say for instance there is 700 calories in a bottle of wine. And we need 2000 calories per day, if you were to live off wine by consuming the necessary calories in the form of about 3 bottles of wine per day and ate nothing else then the person would still be extremely skinny. Not recommending this as you'd probably die as alcohol has no nutritients whatsoever!

People with serious issues usually are skinny. They don't eat during benders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I drink far too much

Hmmmmm......that's what I thought too, 30 years ago. I didn't learn to slow down after college :o

I think drinking to get drunk very regularly is a bit... undignified once you reach your 30s. Like I said up-thread, I do get drunk occasionally. If I'm drinking, it's to get tipsy or drunk, just to have the odd break from relentless consciousness. Two or three times a years type thing. And on those occasions, I am reminded that whilst it was pretty enjoyable, the side effects aren't worth it.

Going out with the intention of getting langered a few times a week once you're out of your 20s? WHY? It's quite a dull, messy, unimaginative way to spend one's time and is such a waste of money. I don't see the appeal.

There's also an element of - parental expression coming up! - having to be at every dog fight. :pac:

Elliott S wrote: »

Going out with the intention of getting langered a few times a week once you're out of your 20s? WHY? It's quite a dull, messy, unimaginative way to spend one's time and is such a waste of money. I don't see the appeal.

I have to say I enjoy it as much now as ever and don't find it the least bit dull. In fact I'd get very bored without very regular nights out. Its very rarely I'd go a full 7 days without at least one decent session, nothing better than a night out midweek to look forward to also to make the week pass quicker rather than only having Friday night to aim at.

My mouth is already watering at the thought of the bank holiday weekend coming up and the Jazz weekend in Cork as its aways a massive session and basically solid drinking from 5pm Friday until the Monday evening.

Do you even like jazz? (most people don't) If not, then the 'dog fight' analogy is apt. I lived in Cork for a while and it barely registered with me when the Jazz festival was on. It's a massive session only if you want it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think drinking to get drunk very regularly is a bit... undignified once you reach your 30s. Like I said up-thread, I do get drunk occasionally. If I'm drinking, it's to get tipsy or drunk, just to have the odd break from relentless consciousness. Two or three times a years type thing. And on those occasions, I am reminded that whilst it was pretty enjoyable, the side effects aren't worth it.

There's also an element of - parental expression coming up! - having to be at every dog fight. :pac:

That's your feelings on it. If you don't enjoy it that's absolutely fair enough and you don't need to partake in it, but if someone else does enjoy it, that doesn't mean they're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The BBC did a programme a few years back about people drinking 4 or 5 bottles of wine a week and the liver results were not good.

That amount over a few years will affect the liver.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That's your feelings on it.

Well, obviously!

People can do what they want but they can't stop others having opinions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

dollyk wrote:
    Sorry but I just pmsl @ that.

I think I just figured out what pmsl means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

None, don't drink alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Swanner wrote: »
    This is definitely true.. I was drinking 5 or 6 bottles of wine a week for a good few years. I also drank beer but it used to fill me up quickly so i'd move on to the wine after. I never drank spirits. I wasn't an alcoholic or anything like it, i just loved wine both for the taste and the effect.. I was a very normal drinker by Irish standards..

Five or six bottles of wine per week because you like the effect is being an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Five or six bottles of wine per week because you like the effect is being an alcoholic.

Whatever about being an alcoholic, 5 or 6 bottles of wine (after getting full of beer) is not being 'a normal drinker by Irish standards.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

In your opinion...

Feel free to judge and label me as you see fit.. I know i wasn't.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Do you even like jazz? (most people don't) If not, then the 'dog fight' analogy is apt. I lived in Cork for a while and it barely registered with me when the Jazz festival was on. It's a massive session only if you want it to be.

That's a good point. An awful lot of festivals and other events nowadays have just been turned into big drinkfests by people who have no interest in the actual event itself. It's ruining a lot of traditional occasions around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Swanner wrote: »
    In your opinion...

Feel free to judge and label me as you see fit.. I know i wasn't.. :)

Just to point out, there is more than just one type of alcoholic. You don't have to be drinking cheap cider at 11am to be one. There are many people who are "functional" alcoholics, who are capable of holding down their normal lives but the habitual drinking is a dependency never the less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I know people who used to drink like that but, with effort and determination, got their drinking back down to sensible levels. If they were alcoholics that would have been impossible. An alcoholic has to give up drink entirely, as their addiction makes it impossible to have a healthy relationship with alcohol.

Advertisement