Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much wine to you drink?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Gasping for some wine now.

That's the thing with these health warnings. They always make me want to drink more/eat more/resume smoking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I used to relax every evening with a bottle of wine, sometimes two. Nipped that in the bud, and now I might have a bottle of wine on a Saturday night. Now I tend to have kopperberg during the week if I'm going to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had a glass of wine at a restaurant on Saturday and 3 cans of Guinness at a friend's house two weeks ago. Outside of a wedding or Christmas or something, that'd be above average consumption for me over a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I heard one of the A&E Consultants on the radio talking about how women in their mid-Late 20's are presenting at A&E with liver problems due to excessive drinking.
    I'm no angel I was drinking a bottle of wine every night and two at the weekends. I'm trying hard to cut down as I know it's not good for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Let him go. Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wine is rotten.

Mead is where it's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Jrop wrote: »
    I've one of the A&E Consultants on the radio talking about how women in their mid-Late 20's are presenting at A&E with liver problems due to excessive drinking.
    I'm no angel I was drinking a bottle of wine every night and two at the weekends. I'm trying hard to cut down as I know it's not good for me

Interesting. Although given the age group I assume it's massive binge drinking on nights out that's more likely to be their problem than flopping in front of the telly with a bottle of wine every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I don't drink at all, alcohol is the devil. No, not a drop. Just a sherry at Christmas and maybe a bottle of stout at a wedding, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

He knows full well that everyone low balls the actual amount they drink so told her to cut back based on that.

My Doc knows full well I'm a bit of a piss head. So when the bloods are dodgy he just says "come back and we'll do them again in 3 months" which is a hint to cut out the drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Interesting. Although given the age group I assume it's massive binge drinking on nights out that's more likely to be their problem than flopping in front of the telly with a bottle of wine every night.

I wouldn't be so sure.
    When I was drinking a bottle of wine a night, I could drink 2 shoulders of vodka at pre drinks, and I'd drink vodka and west coast cooler as my mixer on nights out. I would out drink a lot of people, much bigger.

Now that I'm not drinking as much, I'd take it much easier on nights I do binge drink. And it takes me a lot less to actually get me to stop drinking. For example, on Sunday I went out and had few cocktails, few single vodkas, a kopperberg, a pint of bulmers and then a few double vodkas with a west coast cooler mixer. I was IN A HEAP by 11:30, so bad I had to go home. That would have been a sedate enough night for me two years ago.

So when you're drinking regularly, even though it's only one bottle, and you only feel relaxed and not drunk after it, your tolerance is much higher than if you go binge drinking every two weeks.

I have justified having my wine every way possible, but there is no denying, when you step away from it, you can for sure see the impact it would have taken on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Jesus. wrote: »
    My Doc knows full well I'm a bit of a piss head. So when the bloods are dodgy he just says "come back and we'll do them again in 3 months" which is a hint to cut out the drink.

Sorry but I just pmsl @ that.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I would exceed the so called safe unit limits most weeks

I exceed the week's limits most nights! And tbh I don't give a flying fu*k :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Last time I drank wine was at a work's Christmas party about 10 years ago. Drank three bottles of white out of a pint glass. Ended up getting sick on the carpet, passing out and then being revived so that we could head to the pub!

Never touched wine since then, although I do drink cider, lager and vodka on a regular basis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I heard one of the A&E Consultants on the radio talking about how women in their mid-Late 20's are presenting at A&E with liver problems due to excessive drinking.

Women are divils for the oul wine,curled up on the couch in the evening with it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I drink no wine. I drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Niamhy_Li

I look at some people in restaurants & bars sometimes & wonder how they are able to drink that much wine.

I remember going to a conference a couple of years ago and they were providing free wine, I had never really drank wine before and treated it the same way I would drinking beer or a cocktail. 6 glasses later the room was spinning I had a violent case of the hiccups and when I got up to leave I tried to hold it together as much as possible but the swaying and stumbling through the hotel lobby and reception was definitely a dead giveaway. Bear in mind this was 3 o clock in the day when I was leaving.

Even since then wine is just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I fcuking love wine. I'd put it on my cornflakes if I didn't have to do school runs and sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Niamhy_Li wrote: »
    I look at some people in restaurants & bars sometimes & wonder how they are able to drink that much wine.

I remember going to a conference a couple of years ago and they were providing free wine, I had never really drank wine before and treated it the same way I would drinking beer or a cocktail. 6 glasses later the room was spinning I had a violent case of the hiccups and when I got up to leave I tried to hold it together as much as possible but the swaying and stumbling through the hotel lobby and reception was definitely a dead giveaway. Bear in mind this was 3 o clock in the day when I was leaving.

Even since then wine is just not for me.

Practice makes perfect I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

None, because all wine tastes like cack regardless of how expensive it is, white/red/rose whatever, and after the first sip I can feel a hangover coming on.

Wrecks my head seeing women (*people for any feminists or SJWs out there ;)) trying to be classy by ordering wine and they end up getting paralytic after lashing back a heap of the stuff.

Stick with good beer :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not so sure about that. Apparently consistent drinking is harmful as it doesn't give the liver a chance to rest and regenerate. It's an amazing organ to self-heal as long as it's given a chance to do so.

Taking a few days off alcohol every week seems to be well recommended.

But god I do love wine.... I have about 50 bottles shelved at home, and I usually buy by the case. It really is one of the great pleasures in life.

dudara wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. Apparently consistent drinking is harmful as it doesn't give the liver a chance to rest and regenerate. It's an amazing organ to self-heal as long as it's given a chance to do so.

Taking a few days off alcohol every week seems to be well recommended.

But god I do love wine.... I have about 50 bottles shelved at home, and I usually buy by the case. It really is one of the great pleasures in life.

A good red wine with fried liver and onions :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

dudara wrote:

Can't it recover when I'm here in work and not allowed drink Martinis?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The recommended weekly limits are too low LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

kfallon wrote: »
    Jaysus I hate wine!

And I hate wine connoisseurs even more, "Oh that is a very oaky red, it simply dances on your palette" ****. Off. You. Cúnt.

I drink a bottle a week id say, usually on a Saturday night. I was given a gift of a €30 bottle of red wine, it was manky. I buy one in Aldi for €4 :o my favourite wine!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Let me preface this by saying I. FOOKING. LOVE. WINE.

But it can definitely become a habit and it was starting to in our house. A random Tuesday bottle. A random Thursday bottle. Manditory few bottles over the weekend. My OH would always suggest it and I'd have such a rubber arm.

I've since made a rule for myself - no mid week drinking. I was conscious of it becomming a little too easy and little too habitual. I didnt want it effecting my health or me weight adversly in the long run - being honest, vanity was probably the major motive.

At the moment I'm trying to only drink once a week. We now get a few beers in so if my OH wants a drink, he just has a beer, and that way theres no open wine bottle to tempt me.

Last week I only drank on Saturday. We met friends for dinner and drinks. I'd say I had 1x G&T, about two-thirds of a bottle of red, and then two bottles of beer in the pub after. Thats as much as I want to be drinking these days.

Theres still the ocasional blow out at a wedding/christmas party whatever, but I don't want it to become too regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

SarahMollie I'm the same I love love love wine. I'm strictly enforcing a no mid week drinking rule. I feel a lot better less fuzzy headed in the morning and I have a lot more energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think it's meant to be safer to spread your drinking out over the week, than to abstain all week and then drink your fourteen units over one or two evenings.

ETA Not saying either of the above posters do that, but I know people who do and think they're drinking safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

SarahMollie I'm the same I love love love wine. I'm strictly enforcing a no mid week drinking rule. I feel a lot better less fuzzy headed in the morning and I have a lot more energy

Same. My husband would have a beer most nights, and I used to open a bottle of red and have a glass. Then he'd go to bed and id stay up to finish the bottle, sure I'd be up til all hours :o so now I only open wine at weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Let's say there was a guy called VegTwoMeat, he's handsome, charming, funny, but he reckons he's drinking around 40units a week, evenly spread over the 7days.
    10 years ago, he probably drank the same number of units on a Fri+Sat and then had 5 days without drinking.

Given the lack of liver recovery time in scenario 1, which is worse?

Obviously they're both quite bad.

Advertisement