Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Horrorthon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you want a few ideas, you can check out the Sh!tstorm of Scariness playlist(s) by Matt and Pat (back when they were still funny).

https://youtu.be/WWwX-QhWQy4?list=PL57hJfweW_2vdTqDavHVGZtszglPpS8hD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Links234 wrote: »
    This was it...

I have a severe love of Japanese metal. That solo, oooh! :o
    Your icon isn't helping but whenever I heard that type of singing I think of Maximum the Hormone (loved that song Bikini Sports Ponchin, the only one I other than Zetsubou Billy).
    Off topic but ╮(╯▽╰)╭

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I really liked Until Dawn but I 100% agree about Layers of Fear. I had it for ages but I waited until it was finished to play it.

Oh I enjoyed Until Dawn but can't help but shake the feeling that it was a fluke. I mean if it was a film it would be a god awful film but the interactive elements make it more than a sum of its parts and it has a campy bad horror movie vibe which is great... Although I think it's not what the developers intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this looks decent but I might wait till it is cheaper
    It's basically Lemmings but you control Zombies instead and some of the humans can fight back

http://store.steampowered.com/app/416680/

Skerries wrote: »
    this looks decent but I might wait till it is cheaper
    It's basically Lemmings but you control Zombies instead and some of the humans can fight back

http://store.steampowered.com/app/416680/

I think it's something I'd play sometime, I wonder if Previously Recorded play something like that. Maybe it's just the idea of mash up old game with zombies, they did play an Oregon
    Trail type zombie game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, Zombie Night Terror is one I've had my eye on for a while, think I mentioned it on my indie games thread in the PC forum a while back. Which, if we're talking about indie games, then something that's not quite horror, but brings a seriously interesting and unique world and mythos with it, is Sunless Sea. Must get back into that game, it's quite atmospheric and unsettling. It's eerie in a way that I've rarely seen in gaming.

Hopefully it's not just me that played Siren but I found this old post through my Facebook
    Camera crew visits the abandoned town that inspired Japanese survival horror game “Siren”
    Even if you're not a fan I think it's wonderfully eerie :)
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/09/09/camera-crew-visits-the-abandoned-town-that-inspired-japanese-survival-horror-game-siren%E3%80%90video%E3%80%91/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They might be old but there's a couple of PC classics that I always thought were right up there with the best horror games to come out anywhere.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

And Clive Barker's Undying, which gets extra-points for being set in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Wow this is a great idea I've never actually thought of doing it.

Think I'll start play soma and alien isolation and then maybe the dead space games.

This of course will be in addition to watching the usual horror films Friday the 13th, Halloween etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I played Year Walk recently and would recommend that. Its a puzzle game ostensibly, only about 90 minutes long, and has a really creepy atmosphere/aesthetic based on Swedish folklore.

I played on Wii U but its also available on Steam and mobile devices. Best played with the companion app, which is what the Gamepad on Wii U is used for.

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Wow this is a great idea I've never actually thought of doing it.

Think I'll start play soma and alien isolation and then maybe the dead space games.

This of course will be in addition to watching the usual horror films Friday the 13th, Halloween etc..
    Not my own idea of course, someone else had done it and I joined in and used to post about it on my blog. Unfortunately it wasn't any way interactive so I didn't do it last year and for this year is start a thread here and share their idea.

I played a bit of Soma in a friend's place and we actually finished it in a night. I missed some bits but it was enjoyable, I didn't find it very scary, more kinda thriller but that's just imo. I'd like to play Alien Isolation again.

Speaking of movies, talking about the Shinning (jkjk) last night was getting in the mood! Lol. Monster Madness starts again, it's the last one this year.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I played Year Walk recently and would recommend that. Its a puzzle game ostensibly, only about 90 minutes long, and has a really creepy atmosphere/aesthetic based on Swedish folklore.

I played on Wii U but its also available on Steam and mobile devices. Best played with the companion app, which is what the Gamepad on Wii U is used for.

I'll definitely give that a try when I get a Wii U, I need one to play Fatal Frame V anyway. Tried to play it bit I found the main theme a bit overwhelming. I think I could only play it in bits not like the other Fatal Frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Good excuse for me to play Soma and Alien Isolation. Although for sheer edge of the seat stuff I've started playing Dark Souls for the first time a few days ago!

Cross post from Arcade and Retro.
    Theresia on the DS came in the post today :)https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresia
    I played a bit before and enjoyed it, found it a bit scary and kinda tough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here, have a cross thankyou click as well!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Here, have a cross thankyou click as well!
    Q4stLYezf5.png

I found this on my YouTube playlists, I'm sad again it got cancelled

Sharing another game I've come across
    Aya’s father has created some awful creatures in his lab, and she must avoid them in the updated Steam version of Mad Father.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/23/young-girl-must-flee-cruel-experiments-horror-exploration-game-mad-father/

Anyone try out some games yet? I haven't yet but I'll be starting with collecting the archive items in Siren Blood Curse

9b24ca9532171b4216d2f79b0df5ec35.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I nearly forgot!
    Time to take a look at my scary games and pick one, and wear the brown pants and keep a clean pair of underpants handy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I nearly forgot!
    Time to take a look at my scary games and pick one, and wear the brown pants and keep a clean pair of underpants handy

tumblr_inline_o9f81g0H1m1sc1icr_500.gif

Might go back and try to finish Amnesia: The Dark Descent and/or Alien Isolation

I don't have enough spare drawers to play Alien Isolation...

I don't have enough spare drawers to play Alien Isolation...
    It's great fun! If we try it at a beers I'll hold your handy lol jkjk :P

It's great fun! If we try it at a beers I'll hold your handy lol jkjk :P

I need them to cover my eyes...
    As a result i have to play it with my toes....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There's a demo on the psn store for Outlast 2. Lights off, headphones on, should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They might be old but there's a couple of PC classics that I always thought were right up there with the best horror games to come out anywhere.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

And Clive Barker's Undying, which gets extra-points for being set in Ireland.

Oh god... Undying... That thing still haunts me since I played it as a kid. It was masterpiece in horror games. Specially the mansion. Amazing game.

I talked to my missis and she agreed to be next to me while I play Silent hill 2 and 3. I havent finished it last october, this time around I want to finish it, but I got her next to me lol. And she is the most easily scared person ever lol.

I got the original PS2 discs and my phat ps3. I heard hd remakes were a bit ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

HD remake is dire. Stick to the PS2 original.

Bring tissues for the ending.

Just got my Wii U today so I'll have a chance to play Fatal Frame V now, woo-hoo! Charging my PSP to play Corpse Party, changing my Vita to EU is too much of a pain in the arse.
    I talked to my missis and she agreed to be next to me while I play Silent hill 2 and 3. I havent finished it last october, this time around I want to finish it, but I got her next to me lol. And she is the most easily scared person ever lol.

I got the original PS2 discs and my phat ps3. I heard hd remakes were a bit ****.
    I haven't played 3 myself either and thankfully know very little. 2 I've seen it played through do many times I never bothered myself, fantastic ending, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Keep me updated :)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bring tissues for the ending.

Why...
    Is there, like, female nakedness?
    Oh... wait...
    I think I know what you mean now....

Advertisement