Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Horrorthon

Options
  • 04-09-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone is planning to play spooky games throughout October? Would like to hear about what people are getting / playing and maybe learn about some new ones to get myself.

It's a good bit early I know. Just wanted to post before completely forgetting and suddenly it's October lol. This thread can fall back and I can bump it closer to the time, that's grand :). I suppose if someone wasn't thinking about and is now interested it's time to get stuff.

Sorry in advance if this type of thing is more suitable elsewhere or could be part of another thread and needs to moved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I've often considered trying to do something like the "31 days of horror" people do with films bt with games.

cant really do it quite the same due to the time investment required for games but I'll be playing The Evil Within and Until Dawn again and maybe get some Deadly Premonition in

oh and I might pick up Corpse Party on PC too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I've often considered trying to do something like the "31 days of horror" people do with films bt with games.

cant really do it quite the same due to the time investment required for games but I'll be playing The Evil Within and Until Dawn again and maybe get some Deadly Premonition in

oh and I might pick up Corpse Party on PC too
    It's quite hard, I think 4/6 games was the most I got in, just to get tasters of.
    I'd love to go to Deadly Premonition, I heard PC is best and no way to play it that way, PS3 console version I think I was told to avoid it. I found Evil Within hard to play because I suck at duel analog but I'd love to watch someone else play.
    Until Dawn from what I got to play was so much fun especially with a group.
    I think I'll put Corpse Party on my PSP instead of my vita and just give in lol.
    I'm going to go back to Siren Blood Curse and get the archive items. I really wanted to play Clocktower 2 after seeing the Retronauts stream but it's not on the PSN store like I thought and had bought a really cheap Japanese version. I might get lucky with an English version.
    I'd love to go back to loads of games like Gregory Horror Show.
    I've also never actually finished a Resi game as much as I love horror games so this might be the time around, I'm so bad at minding bullets and stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, no Leprechaun then?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, no Leprechaun then?
    Three spoopy for me I'm going to play Clocktower 3 and knock all the cans instead jkjk :pac:
    Leprechaun could be classed as scary for sure lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I might give The Secret World online game another go around Halloween.

• Advertisement

I might give The Secret World online game another go around Halloween.
    I don't know anything about it, it's an MMO from what I see online? Must have had fun to go back to it again :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The only spooky game I have in my collection that I can think of is corpse party for the vita so may play that,also thinking of picking up Yomawari: Night Alone when it releases in October.

The only spooky game I have in my collection that I can think of is corpse party for the vita so may play that,also thinking of picking up Yomawari: Night Alone when it releases in October.
    Same here with Corpse Party it seems short enough too 12.5 hours with main and extras on HLTB.
    What's Yomawari about? I haven't heard of it

If anyone is looking for ideas or help, here's what horror games I've finished:
    • Forbidden Siren 1, 2 and Blood Curse.
    • Fatal Frame 1 and 2
    • Rule of Rose
    • Silent Hill 4
    • Haunting Ground

Games in limbo, that gave up or got stuck
    • Clocktower 3
    • Fatal Frame 3
    • Resident Evil 1 and 4
    • Gregory Horror Show
    • Obscure
    • Trapt
    • Lone Survivor
    I've seen Silent Hill 2 played through so many times I actually don't see the point of playing but I do love it.

Games I already have and either haven't played much of or not at all
    • Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, HD, Outbreak, Code Veronica 2, Zero
    • Silent Hill 1, 2, 3
    • Corpse Party
    • The Ring: Terrors Realm
    • Overblood
    • Dino Crisis 1, 2
    • Kuon
    • Deception IV: Blood Ties
    • Calling
    • Ju-On
    • Theresia (found a good listing last night and bought it)

Games I'd like to buy
    • Corpse Party (physical copy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Condemned - Criminal Origins is a good scary game.

Personally I've never been scared by the Resi or Dino crisis games...especially as I've gotten older.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I occasionally go back and play Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

20 minutes later, I've usually uninstalled the game after getting terrified and cursing the developers :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Soma is a great game by the Amnesia developers. It has some really scary moments but it's also a fantastic piece of sci-fi which we rarely see in videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Might load up the special levels for Alien Isolation and finally play Vampire The Masquerdate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've promised my 12 year old daughter that I'll play Slender: The Arrival on Halloween night because she wants to hear me squeal like a little girl from fright while she's up in bed. I've played a couple of minutes of it already and I think she may be disappointed…

Playing Silent Hill: Homecoming which I don't think is as bad as the reviews would suggest. A bit annoying in places, in particular the stupid fúcking sliding puzzle that I'm stuck on at the moment.

Over October, I'll probably get around to finishing Resident Evil 1 and start playing 0. I have a copy of Condemned 2 laying around so I'll probably give that a blast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

JD1763 wrote: »
    Vampire The Masquerdate.

There's one area that's super creepy - otherwise, not a horror at all. Great game though, make sure you get the community patch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wish Japan was still pumping out horror games, the latest influx of Western indie games seem to think that jump scares are the height of horror. The culmination of which seems to be Layers of Fear which is one of the worst game I've ever played and not scary at all. The Japanese just knew how to do either super cheesy or genuine dread well.

Stuff like Until Dawn is kind of awful as well. All that is are jump scares, although I think it succeeds despite itself. That awful writing and over reliance on bad jump scares... it definitely nails the B horror movie vibe although I get the feeling it was a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I really wish you could sort out a Steam collection by genre rather than trawl through it manually

I might give Project scissors a go. Forgot I bought it and it's from the Clocktower guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

yomawari will be out on steam in october I think?

that might be an interesting one, I'm much more into games like that and corpse party than the jumpscare fests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've only played Resident Evil 5 so I picked up the Origins Collection on PS4. I'm going to give 1 a whirl in October.

Wow I thought this would die out fast but there seems to be good replies, thanks everyone!

I was fully convinced I could buy a digital copy of Clocktower on PSN, madness, I bought a cheap Japanese copy to have a physical copy. So silly of me!

There's 2 games I'm like to try but I don't think they'll ever come to the west now, Night of the Sacrifice and Night Watch for Vita (I stopped looking at it, I was getting sad I heard nothing, maybe it's changed)
    Sieghardt wrote: »
    yomawari will be out on steam in october I think?

that might be an interesting one, I'm much more into games like that and corpse party than the jumpscare fests
    I'll definitely look into it and hopefully get some kinda PC for Christmas maybe, treat myself lol.
    I'm not into jump scares, funny in a group setting maybe. I prefer the hiding like in Clocktower and some parts of Siren. It reminds me of playing as kids and you get chased up the stairs lol.
    I found watching Arino playing Night if the Sickle Weasel very scary and it's only VN. Was you or Xenji likes VN? I think it's actually Xenji but could be wrong.

I'm not into jump scares, funny in a group setting maybe. I prefer the hiding like in Clocktower and some parts of Siren. It reminds me of playing as kids and you get chased up the stairs lol.

Alien Isolation is the game for you then. Lots and lots of hiding in that, hoping that the Alien doesn't twig where you're at. Very tense stuff.

Playing Silent Hill: Homecoming which I don't think is as bad as the reviews would suggest. A bit annoying in places, in particular the stupid fúcking sliding puzzle that I'm stuck on at the moment.

Over October, I'll probably get around to finishing Resident Evil 1 and start playing 0. I have a copy of Condemned 2 laying around so I'll probably give that a blast as well.
    Glad it's not just me that didn't finish Resi 1, just got 0 lately, the guys in CeX got into an argument about how long you spend on a train and then my friends got into it lol I was just in the middle laughing.
    Dinorex on here also not a fan of sliding puzzles and I think it was the first Project Zero had them really often so he stopped playing. Glad you're enjoying Homecoming though, that's all that matters sure :).
    Alien Isolation is the game for you then. Lots and lots of hiding in that, hoping that the Alien doesn't twig where you're at. Very tense stuff.
    I've played it with Dinorex, I can't do duel analog very well so it's just funny to see me try to play. It's great fun, haven't finished it, I only played it at friend's houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wish Japan was still pumping out horror games, the latest influx of Western indie games seem to think that jump scares are the height of horror. The culmination of which seems to be Layers of Fear which is one of the worst game I've ever played and not scary at all. The Japanese just knew how to do either super cheesy or genuine dread well.

Stuff like Until Dawn is kind of awful as well. All that is are jump scares, although I think it succeeds despite itself. That awful writing and over reliance on bad jump scares... it definitely nails the B horror movie vibe although I get the feeling it was a fluke.

I really liked Until Dawn but I 100% agree about Layers of Fear. I had it for ages but I waited until it was finished to play it.

Within 15 minutes I was just walking from jumpscare to jumpscare, completely stone faced except for the odd few that got some unintentional bouts of laughter from me on account of how cheesy they were. Didn't bother finishing it.

If that was the finished product of the whole Early Access thing then I would hate to play the work in progress. The final version was like some 15 year olds Unity game with slightly better visuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I did this last year, I picked up Stasis as my Halloween game, which is pretty damn cool.

It's an isometric point & click adventure game with a sci-fi/horror theme, big inspiration from Alien, Event Horizon and the like. I loved it, it was creepy as all hell and really atmospheric, story is a bit generic and some of the puzzles were obtuse, but damned if it wasn't a truly memorable experience.

This year I'm not sure, I think I'll have to get back into The Evil Within as I've never finished it. I also picked up SOMA in the Steam sale, but only played about an hour of it, because Overwatch has been kinda dominating my gaming time. I also picked up DreadOut a little while back, dunno what possessed me, because I kinda doubt I'll be able to play much of it at all, but I really love Asian horror movies so that just managed to pique my interest enough that I kinda had to grab it. I'd say I'll definitely be picking up Yomawari as well, that's one game I was seriously hoping would get a PC release, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Edit: Oops, wrong youtube video linked! If anyone's wondering what I had posted by mistake, lets just say I've some very niche tastes in music. ;)

I just did a little dance, Yomawari is Night Watch, I only just saw that googling it to reply to the post above. I can't believe it's coming to the west! I'm so happy!
    icon_osohe_dance_salsa.gif

Links234 wrote: »
    I also picked up DreadOut a little while back, dunno what possessed me, because I kinda doubt I'll be able to play much of it at all, but I really love Asian horror movies so that just managed to pique my interest enough that I kinda had to grab it. I'd say I'll definitely be picking up
    I actually backed it but never played it yet, I heard it was a bit glitchy or something?. Glad you did this last year before too and want to go it again this year.
    Edit: Oops, wrong youtube video linked! If anyone's wondering what I had posted by mistake, lets just say I've some very niche tastes in music. ;)
    I think most missed it, I did anyway lol no worries!

Oh! And I also may just pick up Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines again if it's cheap enough, and see how much better it is with mods. Sunk so many hours into that when it first came out, and I adored the hell out of it, even if it was a notoriously buggy mess.

Hey, remember the Ocean House Hotel mission? Yeah, you do. ;)

• Advertisement

I think most missed it, I did anyway lol no worries!

This was it...

I have a severe love of Japanese metal. That solo, oooh! :o

Advertisement