Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal Bin

• 01-10-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Im looking to get one for the winter to save money v bags.looking to get a coated one to match the colour of the shed.Can they be got coated inside,reason im asking is my neighbour has 2 bins about 5 years old and has had panels replaced on one already and he is starting to see rust coming out through the other one now.I dont mind paying abit extra for quality if it means i have a trouble free bin.A good recommendation on a company who makes a good bin is welcome as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭farmertipp

pat73 wrote: »
    Im looking to get one for the winter to save money v bags.looking to get a coated one to match the colour of the shed.Can they be got coated inside,reason im asking is my neighbour has 2 bins about 5 years old and has had panels replaced on one already and he is starting to see rust coming out through the other one now.I dont mind paying abit extra for quality if it means i have a trouble free bin.A good recommendation on a company who makes a good bin is welcome as well.

Can you give us a clue as to make of neighbours bins? 5 years seem a bit quick to fail..

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

farmertipp wrote: »
    Can you give us a clue as to make of neighbours bins? 5 years seem a bit quick to fail..
    I don't think it's fair to mention their name on this thread but il pm u

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have 3 bins here from crowleys, cant fault them, all galvanised tho. Neighbour has a spirofeed has no issues also as far as i know. Galvanising a better job i reckon. get plenty sight glasses anyway, and get a spout to suit how you'll empty it. the mcaree ones look good with the sheeting on the bottom handy spot to store bags etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any issues with these bins with course ration getting stuck and going off or are Ye just using nuts? Still blowing meal into open sheds and lofts here.

• Advertisement

Get 3 way mixes and coarse ration here in 2 bins during the winter, they go alrite but these just have a shoot at the bottom no augur and they would be emptied rel fast., maybe 2 weeks. sides are flat not corrugated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hear of lads using freight containers, welding on a pipe to blow meal into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Muckit wrote: »
    Hear of lads using freight containers, welding on a pipe to blow meal into them.

Was looking into that myself, but a good one cost more than a bin! Plus you have to shovel it all. Feck that if I'm going to spend a few quid on it, it would be nice to not use the shovel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Muckit wrote:

Terrible accident locally when the doors burst open while been filled. Never under estimate the dangers of compressed air.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Terrible accident locally when the doors burst open while been filled. Never under estimate the dangers of compressed air.

Just open the doors. That's what we do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Was looking into that myself, but a good one cost more than a bin! Plus you have to shovel it all. Feck that if I'm going to spend a few quid on it, it would be nice to not use the shovel!

I'd rather be shoveling than wrestling with pigs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

For various complicated reasons including the height of the augurs into the parlour we are going to build a bin / loft of sorts this year.

Torn between building one high up (which we would need to blow into) or building a more complicated setup with an extra augur (we have lots of spare augurs) which is lower down and which we could fill from a bag.

I'm too mean to buy a third set of augurs (flexi ones) and I don't like staring at big steel bins anyway.

Has anyone built a bin or store that feeds augurs? Blow in or otherwise? I was thinking of fiberglass over marine ply inside a timber / steel frame.

Edit: we only ever need a tonne or two in the bin, blow in we'd need to allow 4 I suppose unless we could persuade them to bring less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

kowtow wrote: »
    For various complicated reasons including the height of the augurs into the parlour we are going to build a bin / loft of sorts this year.

Torn between building one high up (which we would need to blow into) or building a more complicated setup with an extra augur (we have lots of spare augurs) which is lower down and which we could fill from a bag.

I'm too mean to buy a third set of augurs (flexi ones) and I don't like staring at big steel bins anyway.

Has anyone built a bin or store that feeds augurs? Blow in or otherwise? I was thinking of fiberglass over marine ply inside a timber / steel frame.

Edit: we only ever need a tonne or two in the bin, blow in we'd need to allow 4 I suppose unless we could persuade them to bring less.

You say you've an extra auger, why not build the bin up high and use the additional auger just to fill it, similar to a fill auger on a corn drill, just a small hopper on the bottom of auger that you can open the bag over. You could also add a pipe to it so you could get it blown in if ever needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Zr105 wrote:
    You say you've an extra auger, why not build the bin up high and use the additional auger just to fill it, similar to a fill auger on a corn drill, just a small hopper on the bottom of auger that you can open the bag over. You could also add a pipe to it so you could get it blown in if ever needed

Was kind of thinking that way... just wondering had anyone done anything similar.

Need to figure out if I can reverse some of the right angle joints in the augurs as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

just looking at the V-mac there it seems to be popular ... but wondering what size to get? I've a 4 bay single shed[store cattle], and see i can get 5t, 6t,7t, 8t, 9t etc...im thinking a 5 tonne would be enough any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

MikeSoys wrote: »
    just looking at the V-mac there it seems to be popular ... but wondering what size to get? I've a 4 bay single shed[store cattle], and see i can get 5t, 6t,7t, 8t, 9t etc...im thinking a 5 tonne would be enough any suggestions?

How many cattle will you be feeding and how much meal will they be eating? Then get a bin that'll hold enough meal for a month or 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cavanjack wrote: »
    How many cattle will you be feeding and how much meal will they be eating? Then get a bin that'll hold enough meal for a month or 6 weeks.

Merchants usually have a minimum delivery amount too, so I suppose that plus 25% so you don't run out

ok thanks, roughly it was 52lbs per pen and ive 4 pens..

Depending on if it's in nut or meal form or what you are getting a bin may not hold it's advertised weight. E.g. a 4 ton bin may hold 4 ton of nuts but not of meal so get a bin that is 20% bigger than what you would normally order in a load. Also there tends not to be a whole lot of price difference between bigger and smaller bins so price em up before deciding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think less than 100€ between 5 ton and 6 ton ,

6 ton a no brainer imo, you can get them on legs or sheeted to ground for storage if ypu wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

wrangler wrote: »
    Merchants usually have a minimum delivery amount too, so I suppose that plus 25% so you don't run out

some are 3t minimum others are 4t minimum

sheeted to the ground is a lovely job. keep the elements off and put a little light in and work away on dark mornings or evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What's the story with this? Surely just some messer on donedeal.

https://www.donedeal.ie/feedingequipment-for-sale/feed-meal-bin/19221600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭older by the day

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Forgot a zero probably. I had slabs left over and insulated the walls of an old pig house and covered under the roof with plastic it did fine for blowing in small amounts of meal. But you can't beat a bin the best investment you can make, very clean

Dakota Dan wrote: »

i guess its actually a rocket near ready to take off just looking as a meal silo...i rang V-mac its 2,906 for 5t and 6t is 100 more...sheeting to the ground. was looking at the 'accessories' section like the meal barrow... are they worth considering? or just using a normal considerably cheaper wheel barrow..

Forgot a zero probably. I had slabs left over and insulated the walls of an old pig house and covered under the roof with plastic it did fine for blowing in small amounts of meal. But you can't beat a bin the best investment you can make, very clean

Doubtful, it would hardly sell that fast when you factor in the cost of taking down, transport and erecting it would cost the same as a reconditioned bin from a manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

How do you know how much or what tonnage of meal you got from the merchant? Is their some type of scales on the Bin or is it a case of when full it contains X amount of nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How do you know how much or what tonnage of meal you got from the merchant? Is their some type of scales on the Bin or is it a case of when full it contains X amount of nuts?

It’ll be on the docket

You measure it with your old boots.

Do anybody ye have a tote bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Usually you will get a discount for 8tonnes and up so id be going for that

Advertisement