Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal Bin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Also handier to have a bigger bin if meal prices are going to jump. I have a 16 tonne one and get a fill it price is going to rocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

<snip>

Mod note:As per previous conversation, don't post that again!

Buford T. Justice
    Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You measure it with your old boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

whelan2 wrote: »
    Also handier to have a bigger bin if meal prices are going to jump. I have a 16 tonne one and get a fill it price is going to rocket

What will happen then when mill sends out 16 ton of s##t ,I am milking 50 cows with a 5 ton bin ,i would never have to fill more then once per month .I often notice the start of load from mill would be excellent quality but once bin half empties ,there would be less desirable quality!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

How long could meal last in a bin? Would it go off?

I would use roughly 10 tonne of meal over a 4-5 month period on weanlings. Minimum delivery for crowds seems to vary between 3-4 tonne. Would it last 2 months in the bin and then refill, or is a bin not justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DaDerv wrote: »

I would use roughly 10 tonne of meal over a 4-5 month period on weanlings. Minimum delivery for crowds seems to vary between 3-4 tonne. Would it last 2 months in the bin and then refill, or is a bin not justifiable.

Do bins have condensation in cold weather, I think I'd like it moving quicker than you say.
    What;s the difference in price for bags vs bulk delivered to your yard, if it's only €40/ton....is ti worth the hassle for €400/year.
    Bins need a very good concrete pad under them too.....maybe a foot of concrete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

wrangler wrote: »
    Do bins have condensation in cold weather, I think I'd like it moving quicker than you say.
    What;s the difference in price for bags vs bulk delivered to your yard, if it's only €40/ton....is ti worth the hassle for €400/year.
    Bins need a very good concrete pad under them too.....maybe a foot of concrete

ye 3m square (10ft square) by 10/12 inch is about 2.75m3 of concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DaDerv wrote: »

rep told me it lasts better in cold temperature , ecpecially minerals & vits. don't know if it's true or not

we usually try to order for 4 weeks max.

cute geoge wrote: »
    What will happen then when mill sends out 16 ton of s##t ,I am milking 50 cows with a 5 ton bin ,i would never have to fill more then once per month .I often notice the start of load from mill would be excellent quality but once bin half empties ,there would be less desirable quality!!!!

In fairness it's not often you get a bad load. The date on the meal docket says the meal is good for 3 months. What age is your meal bin. The 16 tonne would be used within the 3 months here. I'm just saying if the scope is there to hold the few extra tonne so be it. Would normally order 8-10tonne to do me a month but if I order an extra few tonne I mightnt need meal the next month iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

cute geoge wrote:

Keeping the bin clean has a lot to do with it as well, not many people would actually clean there bin. If there was a bad bit stuck inside it wouldn't be long putting the next batch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

raypallas wrote: »
    Keeping the bin clean has a lot to do with it as well, not many people would actually clean there bin. If there was a bad bit stuck inside it wouldn't be long putting the next batch off.

how to you clean a meal bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Wessel3

3 months is the life expectancy of meal and . minerals.
    Using bags here but only using a small amount 0.5/1 ton a month summer and winter . Lot of waste from rats though eating through bags and meal going blue moulded

MikeSoys wrote: »

Give it a few wallop from the outside. Anything stuck will fall down

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »

I'd surly break it

Wessel3 wrote: »
    3 months is the life expectancy of meal and . minerals.
    Using bags here but only using a small amount 0.5/1 ton a month summer and winter . Lot of waste from rats though eating through bags and meal going blue moulded

get yourself a few JFC meal tubs so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone have one of these?
    https://www.hartnett-products.ie/collections/trailers/products/mobile-meal-bin-trailer

I inquired about mounted ones for the tractor off crowleys but they will only do them on pallet forks. If near a coop these may be a good option

Mooooo wrote: »
    https://www.hartnett-products.ie/collections/trailers/products/mobile-meal-bin-trailer

I inquired about mounted ones for the tractor off crowleys but they will only do them on pallet forks. If near a coop these may be a good option

8x4 car trailer €1,000
    jfc meal tub x 2 €540 (600kg capacity each)

you can have the 8x4 trailer for use all year around

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

8x4 car trailer €1,000
    jfc meal tub x 2 €540 (600kg capacity each)

you can have the 8x4 trailer for use all year around

Yeah, but will it look as shiney?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

MikeSoys wrote:

whelan2 wrote:

In through the inspection door on the side, you'll need a ladder, dust mask and a sweeping brush. You need to have a small bit of feed in the cone to put the ladder on. Two man job tho, not a job to do on your own. Would always have somebody on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Mooooo wrote: »

Don have one but often thought the convienance of being able to park one near were your feeding would save time and hauling ration from yard all the time.

Jfc will a lot cheaper you have to bucket out of it were as trailer tote bin is gravity so a lot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Meal bins have been added to TAMSII grant approved expenditure for beef and sheep farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Meal bins have been added to TAMSII grant approved expenditure for beef and sheep farmers.

Wait for bin prices to shoot up now.....

grange mac wrote: »
    Wait for bin prices to shoot up now.....
    I was enquiring about buying a new bin during the late Summer and I was told there would be a few months wait for one due to the demand from lads for extra bins for feeding during the drought. So they might have a bit of a case for an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I was enquiring about buying a new bin during the late Summer and I was told there would be a few months wait for one due to the demand from lads for extra bins for feeding during the drought. So they might have a bit of a case for an increase.

bought a bin mid july, ordered friday , erected following tues, from spirofeeds mallow, have dealt with them before and always found them very punctual

orm0nd wrote: »
    bought a bin mid july, ordered friday , erected following tues, from spirofeeds mallow, have dealt with them before and always found them very punctual
    I was going ordering towards the end of August from them and was told it could be October before I would get it. Luckily it rained soon after so I didn't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was going ordering towards the end of August from them and was told it could be October before I would get it. Luckily it rained soon after so I didn't go ahead.

I ordered a new one in December by e-mail confirmation. Rang 2 weeks before Christmas told they made a mistake and it would be the 1st one erected in the New year. Still waiting but I'll follow it up now.
    It will be interesting price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    I ordered a new one in December by e-mail confirmation. Rang 2 weeks before Christmas told they made a mistake and it would be the 1st one erected in the New year. Still waiting but I'll follow it up now.
    It will be interesting price wise.

Would You not wait and apply for the grant now before you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Would You not wait and apply for the grant now before you buy?

I will!..But I should have the price nailed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    I will!..But I should have the price nailed...

Ah good thinking. Think they have to have a painted finish for the grant so that'll add an extra few pound to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

I think I need a meal bin. Feeding about 30 ton of meal per year. Opened the shed this morning and about 3000 crows took off. How much for a 12-15 ton bin and can I put ration into it? Or should I turn a blind eye to the crows and keep me money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

I think I need a meal bin. Feeding about 30 ton of meal per year. Opened the shed this morning and about 3000 crows took off. How much for a 12-15 ton bin and can I put ration into it? Or should I turn a blind eye to the crows and keep me money?

Buy the bin. You will never regret it

Advertisement