Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The simple fact of the matter is Mayo just dont have the players to get them over the line. Andy Moran is there only decent forward from play. COC contributes nothing apart from placed balls. DOC gets around the field but no scoring threat unless he is taking a dive to win a free. Doherty non existant. McLoughlin a defender. Oshea the most overrated player in Ireland.

Mayo will never win an all ireland until they uncover some quality forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

man :D

Lol, good one.

Spit shine that Connaught title good now, ya hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

DeadHand wrote: »
    When the Mayo keeper was put off... I've never seen a player so happy to get a black card.

Yeah I did notice that as well. He just nodded his head, as if he'd just been handed an opportunity to get out of Dodge. I would have expected him to WANT to stay on to try to save the penalty that he gave away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think over the course of the year, the most deserving county won it. Dublin won the league in impressive fashion, breezed through the province as usual and had about as tough route to winning it as a provincial champion could. Mayo in comparison were beaten at home in Connacht, and were then unconvincing in the qualifiers with easy home draws, had the easiest of the 3 possible QF's, and the easier semi. I think they can come out of the two final's with credit but this isn't like 2013 where they were awesome all year and wouldve been deserving winners. They were poor by their recent standards this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Feel very sorry for Rob Hennelly this evening. He was put in a position of huge scrutiny by management. Anything I've heard of him is that he's a nice guy but ultimately his errors were probably fatal to Mayo's chances. Living in such a goldfish bowl as the Mayo football scene is its going to be a very tough few weeks and months ahead for him. The loss of Keegan probably was even as devastating to Mayo's chances as the goal. After being reckless at the end two weeks ago, in fairness Connolly took the penalty with aplomb. Cillian O'Connor had the chance to level it but ultimately Dublin should have had the game put away earlier. Really against the Kerry's and Dublin's of this world you rarely get a second chance. Mayo had some opportunities to grasp it today but ultimately having been the better team on Day 1, on Day 2 they didn't have the firepower off the bench in particular when it came down the stretch. Dublin finished with Brogan, Costello (in particular) and to some extent MacCauley making significant contributions. Seeing Barry Moran come on kind of showed Mayo's desperation and lack of real bench options.

What can you say about Mayo, they've shown unbelievable courage to continually bounce back but ultimately the lack of ruthlessness and composure when they had Dublin rattled and were level during the 2nd half on Day 1 cost them. It's a massive mental block to overcome and it gets more difficult with each passing year. It's going to be a tough trip home for Mayo fans. Only so much heartbreak you can take.

For Dublin this team had to win 2 in a row to silence their critics. Each of their 4 All-Ireland wins they'll feel they didn't hit top gear on final day but they again found a way to win. Rory O'Carroll and Jack McCaffrey back next year probably. A few players pushing on or who have lost form but probably still the team to beat in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

kilns wrote: »
    The simple fact of the matter is Mayo just dont have the players to get them over the line. Andy Moran is there only decent forward from play. COC contributes nothing apart from placed balls. DOC gets around the field but no scoring threat unless he is taking a dive to win a free. Doherty non existant. McLoughlin a defender. Oshea the most overrated player in Ireland.

Surely today proved connolly is the most over rated player. He managed to get the black card for keegan and still only scored a point and a peno. Costello did twice as much in ten minutes than connolly has done in 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

lawred2 wrote: »
    A Dalkey motm in Croker... Nice to hear the south dub accent for a sport played outside of the RDS

:)

Des Cahill will be creaming himself over that..

Nonsense figures.... Try engage your brain before posting bullsh1t.

Well, if you want to call Census figures "nonsense figures" and then tell other people to "try engage your brain before posting bullsh1t", you go ahead and enjoy your own company.

The rest of us will stick with reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

On cloud 9 after that win but nerves are shot to ribbons. 7 beers during the game and still could barely watch the latter stages.
    My missus is a Mayo fan and it's probably my best wee outlet here to celebrate a bit coz we couldnt get tickets and watched it together at home and you don't want to be an ass-hole over-celebrating.
    Just want to say how proud I am of all our lads, 2 in a row is a superb achievement.

At the same time, I'd have been cheering for Mayo if they had been playing ANY other county today. They probably dont want anyone feeling sorry for them so I won't say that but I hope they get an All Ireland soon coz they're a gutsy bunch who keep coming back time after time after so many close ones.

Over the course of the 2 games I don't think any honest person could really say that we were conclusively the better side because we were awful the first day and maybe just about shaded it today so all in all there was bugger all between the pair.

Small things and fine margins are all that won/lost it. In the first game the 2 o.g's and today the Mayo decision to change keepers.

Had it gone the other way today then it would have been Connolly's decision from the line ball the last day.

Point being there was so little between the pair ultimately. Proud of The Dubs. Wish Mayo all the best and hope they get their hands on Sam soon, once they ain't playing us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Surely today proved connolly is the most over rated player. He managed to get the black card for keegan and still only scored a point and a peno. Costello did twice as much in ten minutes than connolly has done in 2 games.

Connolly played very deep tonight.

I thought he got on the ball at crucial stages and used it well.

Costello was playing in the full forward line and there solely for scores, Connolly job seems to contribute to the team as a whole and he does it very well in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Hahahahahahahahaha please I have one, but thanks for the laugh :D:D:D I'm sure I'll get more from very quiet Mayo people when I arrive back in work on Tuesday

Laughing at odd moments during social interaction is a tell-tale sign that therapy is necessary also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Lol, good one.

Spit shine that Connaught title good now, ya hear?

Yeah well it's nice winning something this year and beating yee in the process in your own backyard...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

kilns wrote: »

Connolly was good today. He got on alot of ball and used it wisely. I remember a point at the end he got the ball on the left wing near the end he put up his hand saying wait lets keep it and switched the play and to step up to take a match turning penalty and score it like he did was quality

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Bambi wrote: »
    That Keegan goal really shows cluxtons limitations as a keeper.

Definitely - I also thought he was weak when he spurned a few opportunities to solo the length of the pitch and score a point. :getlost:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What happened this high ball that was going to test a "weakened Dublin defence" that we were told all year?
    O'Shea, Donaghy and M Murphy what happened them?? :)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Keegan got himself a black card with the assistance of his keeper. Connolly oozes class that no Mayo forward with the exception of Moran has. His use of the ball was much better today and his score was class. He could have scored more but for a few missed (bad) passes.

This was a great win for Dublin. A lot of good performances all round the park. Cooper was excellent until his card, Cian O'S the same, great use of the ball. Small blessed not to get black carded but has turned in a top class class player this past season. Davy Byrne excellent when he came on. Mid field done well for spells. Our half forwards let Durcan and Boyle out a few times to run at them but all in all a good defensive display in keeping Mayo outside 30yards when they had no one to kick points apart from C.O'C. For us I think C.K clowed us up a little in second half when we had scores on. Would love to see Mannion given and get on the ball a bit quicker and a little closer to goal. The forwards all worked very hard and caused panic in Mayo backline much to the delight of the inform Dean Rock with a superb display.

Big thing now is to get Mannion Con'Callaghan and a few young lads out in O'Byrne cup and National league. Give Connolly, Flynn, Cooper, McMahon a good decent rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Dub's bench made all the difference today, Mac Cauley, Brogan done well and Costello was brilliant. Mayo had no one to got to.
    As others have said for a supposed top man, Aiden O Shea is completely overated, he went missing for the whole second half.
    The look of disgust on the face of the Mayo goalie who was dropped at the end of the game said it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bench was a massive difference. Dublins was very good Mayos wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jesus just saw the Keegan black card for the first time. What a joke of a decision! There is no way that Keegan dragged Connolly to ground. He pulled him back but thats not a black card!

I am an advocate of the black card in principle, but when referees guess instead of putting the very clear rules into action then it makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I've heard that Coopers was harsh as well but I haven't seen it. John Small committed 2 blatant black card offences as well and escaped with just a yellow.

Refereeing has got to improve at the top level. Guys half assing it in an All Ireland is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

What happened this high ball that was going to test a "weakened Dublin defence" that we were told all year?
    O'Shea, Donaghy and M Murphy what happened them?? :)
    Ah they must have been injured, jumping muscles pulled:):):).
    Cooper has been brilliant in each game. Philly Mc has been very strong beside him also.
    Dub's bench made all the difference today, Mac Cauley, Brogan done well and Costello was brilliant. Mayo had no one to got to.
    As others have said for a supposed top man, Aiden O Shea is completely overated, he went missing for the whole second half.
    The look of disgust on the face of the Mayo goalie who was dropped at the end of the game said it all.

Going to be very hard for Rochford to sell this off. It was a huge error by Mayo Management team. I remember Donal Smyth being dropped by Meath and his replacement Micky McQuillen dropped the ball in the net and Dublin won. Kick in the rocks the lads who ousted last years management team.

At the end of the day the best team won. .

Thought the referee was decent enough. Small blessed early on but after that got most decisions right. A few we could argue about but all in all he was fair enough.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Jesus just saw the Keegan black card for the first time. What a joke of a decision! There is no way that Keegan dragged Connolly to ground. He pulled him back but thats not a black card!

I am an advocate of the black card in principle, but when referees guess instead of putting the very clear rules into action then it makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I've heard that Coopers was harsh as well but I haven't seen it. John Small committed 2 blatant black card offences as well and escaped with just a yellow.

Refereeing has got to improve at the top level. Guys half assing it in an All Ireland is not acceptable.

Keegans black card was a stupid decision alright. Cooper's was equally crazy.

Two awful decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Keegans black card was a stupid decision alright. Cooper's was equally crazy.

Two awful decisions.

The two most blatant were Smalls at the start on Andy Moran and the trip on Connelly in the second half. I think that in principle the black card is a good idea but it's application has been very poor. Pressure will be on to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Keegan's black card was nothing worse than what was going on all match tbh. Think Deegan wanted to settle it after putting Cooper off tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thought Fitzimons was excellent today. Very enjoyable game, but looks like mayo are as far away as ever from the holy grail. Dublin lack a ruthless edge, and butchered a number of good chances by over playing in the 2nd half. As in previous years, I never had the impression that Mayo were actually going to win the game, however long they kept in touch. I'm not particularly anti mayo , but I was delighted it was a miss from O Connor that was the final nail in their coffin, he really grinds my guess with his play acting/refereeing/cynical fouling , but that might say more about me 😋 . For all the talk over the years about mayo forwards not being good enough , it was yet another brain fart in their own goalmouth that ultimately cost them ....how many years is that happened now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Hard luck Mayo, wasn't to be today but they can hold their heads high in pushing Dublin to the limit on both days. It will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

PressRun wrote: »
    Keegan's black card was nothing worse than what was going on all match tbh. Think Deegan wanted to settle it after putting Cooper off tho.

Keegans was a black card he pulled him to the ground off the ball..
    Vaughan should have got a black card for tripping Connolly at end of first half and Small should have walked.
    No team can say the ref was one way or the other ... he was very poor for both sides
    Time to get rid of this black card ****e. Its impossible to implement properly. Should be an sin bin for yellow cards and that would simplify it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Can we all agree the black card is just a cop out. If a player commits a bad enough foul, it should be a yellow. If they do it again, second yellow and off. That would cut out the cynical fouling, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Can we all agree the black card is just a cop out. If a player commits a bad enough foul, it should be a yellow. If they do it again, second yellow and off. That would cut out the cynical fouling, simple as.

It was brought in to stop cynical fouling in the game, pulling down and third man tackles and the like. As someone said earlier there should be a ten minute sin bin when you get a yellow so your team suffers. I remember the year before it came in Tyrone were a couple of points up in a game and they literally rugby tackled lads down to stop them getting through and they were more than willing to accept a yellow card when there was only 5 or 10 minutes left in a game.

Just in after the game, sickened. Can't believe Deegan once again gave in to Dublin pressure.
    Connelly on a number of occasions pulled players to the ground right in front of Deegan, what did he do ? Nothing. Shocking inconsistency, at Mayo's expense once again.

• Advertisement

Just in after the game, sickened. Can't believe Deegan once again gave in to Dublin pressure.
    Connelly on a number of occasions pulled players to the ground right in front of Deegan, what did he do ? Nothing. Shocking inconsistency, at Mayo's expense once again.

Ah you should watch it again tomorrow when you can analyse it better. No way was the Ref anti-Mayo. Some bizarre decisions both ways alright but the Ref didn't cost you that game.

Your manager's decision to switch keepers is what you should be asking questions about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement