Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ha - well yes, that's another way of doing it. You were thinking 70 mins FD, which would indicate sub 3:20 marathon. Your 10k time agrees. So I would imagine you're thinking 1:35-1:36 half, perhaps a little less?

Haven't followed your training too closely but some good LRs under the belt and you seem to know what you're doing!

Well I certainly have someone giving me a training plan who knows what they're doing! I dipped under 1:38 last year in my first (and only) HM, and while it definitely was my best performance last year, I'd be hoping to take a bit off it, 1:35 feels like it's there for me, and yeah I'd be thinking of going a little under that too....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

These numbers all look quite familiar. Won't be far behind you, hopefully. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done and congrats on the PB.

These numbers all look quite familiar. Won't be far behind you, hopefully. ;)

:) Do you have a goal/s in mind for the HM??

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done and congrats on the PB.

Thanks man. Your training seems to be going well...You had a great debut last year at the DCM! Are you running the Race Series HM?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    :) Do you have a goal/s in mind for the HM??

<1:36 is what I'm looking at.

Thanks man. Your training seems to be going well...You had a great debut last year at the DCM! Are you running the Race Series HM?

No I am not running the race series half, if I can fit the Donadea 10k into my plan then that will be the only race I will run between now and DCM. You are flying at the moment, that was a good time in Moone at the weekend I haven't raced it but I would presume that there are a good few hills along that route. Best of luck in the Half.

No I am not running the race series half, if I can fit the Donadea 10k into my plan then that will be the only race I will run between now and DCM. You are flying at the moment, that was a good time in Moone at the weekend I haven't raced it but I would presume that there are a good few hills along that route. Best of luck in the Half.

Yeah there was a lot of rolling hills I thought, as always there seemed to be a lot more inclines than declines :) but the hill at the end certainly wasn't as tough as I had been led to believe ;)

That Donadea race is a trail run yeah? You wouldn't be worried of risking a slip or a fall that close to the DCM?

Yeah there was a lot of rolling hills I thought, as always there seemed to be a lot more inclines than declines :) but the hill at the end certainly wasn't as tough as I had been led to believe ;)

That Donadea race is a trail run yeah? You wouldn't be worried of risking a slip or a fall that close to the DCM?

The first 2.5kms is on the road and then you turn into the forest and run along the path which is compact aggregate. It is a very well organised race that I would recommend.

The first 2.5kms is on the road and then you turn into the forest and run along the path which is compact aggregate. It is a very well organised race that I would recommend.

Yeah looked at it last year, but didn't fancy a trail race so close to the DCM (after ACL surgery I'm a bit paranoid about these things ;) ) I've ran there before in a Duathlon and it was a nice track alright.) Raced a Marie Keating Foundation 10k in the Phoenix Park instead, course was at least 500m long and the chip technology didn't work, so I really should have went to Donadea :(

• Advertisement

Monday: 12k Recovery on Curragh Plains, went up Braveheart Hill too as it was a cracking evening. 1:10:33 @ 5:53/km.....going was very soft in places. Winter is coming....

Tuesday: 12k Easy 1:06:04 @ 5:28/km another 22C run.....enjoy them while they last I think. Curragh was just beautiful today...

Wednesday: 14k Easy : 1:13:23 @ 5:15/km nothing to note, legs seem to have fully rid themselves of last weekend's exertations

Thursday: 1.5k w/u , 6 x 1Mile repeats @ faster than 10k pace, 1.5k c/d
    This session went great, much better than last weeks. I find mile repeats a lot easier than 400m repeats, anyway felt fast after the weekend and the legs didn't feel in too bad a shape afterwards :)

Splits: 6:32, 6:24, 6:22, 6:22, 6:18, 6:13

Friday: Easy 10k 51:28 @ 5:09/km Was still feeling good after session on Thursday and did this on feel more than anything else with only a couple of glances at the Garmin....

Saturday: MLR Steady 20k 1:37:20 @ 4:52/km
    Plan was to take it in 5k sections; 1-5 @ 5:15/k, 6-10 @ 5:00/k, 11-15 @ 4:45/k and 15-20 @ whatever the legs felt like but no faster than 4:40/k :)
    Was ahead of nearly all the splits by a few seconds /km but it felt steady and I felt in control. I've never really ran at that pace and felt as comfortable so I'm pretty happy right now :) the end of a pretty busy week with the 10k, 20miler, 6x1mile session and today's run. My last 10miles were 77mins and considering that I was happy with a 83min Frank Duffy a year ago, I'd have to be good with where I am right now. A rest day tomorrow, then on to HM week :)

Weekly total: 82k

Mon: Easy 14k: 1:16:46 @ 5:27/km back up doing a bit of work in Marino on Mondays so ran out to Bull Island and back.....just a beautiful stretch to run.

Tue: Session 12x400m off 75 secs recovery. 1.5k w/u & c/d.
    In a different universe to my last 400's session. Aim was for steady laps in or around 85seconds.
    Splits: 86, 84, 84, 83, 85, 85, 85, 85, 85, 86, 84, 75 :) always try to leave on a quick note.....

Things are ticking along nicely right now. a couple of easy runs, Friday off and then the HM.

Wed & Thursday: Easy 10k: 52:50 & 8k: 42:16 both @ 5:17/km

Just keeping things ticking over for Saturday. Feeling a bit nervous, as this and the DCM are my two main goals and I'm hoping to use this as a confidence boost going into the DCM and also set my Marathon Target off.

Weather concerns aside I feel like I'm in a good position to take a good whack off my 1:38 PB....My mate who is doubling as my coach thinks I have a sub 1:30 in the legs. I've trusted his advice so far and I'm going to once again. I know the course, I've done the miles, I've done the speedwork, I've lost the weight, and I reckon I can give 90 mins a good crack. If I don't make it I don't think I'll be far away. My only decision is to go with the pacers or not. I've never ran with a pacer before but I like the idea of running with one for the DCM so it would probably be best to try it out on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Saturday have a good one.

Best of luck tomorrow J, have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Weather concerns aside I feel like I'm in a good position to take a good whack off my 1:38 PB....My mate who is doubling as my coach thinks I have a sub 1:30 in the legs. I've trusted his advice so far and I'm going to once again. I know the course, I've done the miles, I've done the speedwork, I've lost the weight, and I reckon I can give 90 mins a good crack. If I don't make it I don't think I'll be far away. My only decision is to go with the pacers or not. I've never ran with a pacer before but I like the idea of running with one for the DCM so it would probably be best to try it out on Saturday?

I'm not a million miles from you in terms of goals and PBs - I'm hoping to run at least the first half with the 1:30 pacers, and then see if I can push on a bit. I think it's good practice for DCM if you're planning on going with pacers then, and it'll mean you won't get too excited in the first half of the race if you go with them from the start. Standard pacer advice applies though - don't get too stuck to them, use them as an tool on the day and let them go/reel them in depending on how you're doing. Best of luck tomorrow, maybe see you there :)

Singer wrote: »
    I'm not a million miles from you in terms of goals and PBs - I'm hoping to run at least the first half with the 1:30 pacers, and then see if I can push on a bit. I think it's good practice for DCM if you're planning on going with pacers then, and it'll mean you won't get too excited in the first half of the race if you go with them from the start. Standard pacer advice applies though - don't get too stuck to them, use them as an tool on the day and let them go/reel them in depending on how you're doing. Best of luck tomorrow, maybe see you there :)

Yeah I have a pace band done out and I've a fair idea of which parts of the course will be downwind and vice versa so if the pacing isn't suiting how im going I'll hopefully adapt accordingly :o
    I'll be in a loud enough orange and blue Nike singlet....best of luck if I don't run into you. Should be a good atmosphere up there as long as it's not crazy wet at the start....

Good luck yourself!

Dublin Half Marathon: 1:29:52 @ 4:15/km

GET IN THERE!!!! A (very) late stinger to the left hamstring almost derailed things but I got the sub 90..... Will post a more detailed report later. Set PB's for 5k, 5 Mile, nearly got a 10k PB!, 10Mile and Half Marathon......so you could say I'm pretty buzzing right now :) hope everyone ran well and stayed safe out there today....

• Advertisement

Apologies for my shouty post yesterday :) I was quite excited at the time.....here's a slightly calmer race report.

Pre Race: got up to the park nice and early, parked up and leafed through the Times sports Saturday. Weather wasn't as bad as expected, nipped out to the Portaloos and then went for a 2k warm up. Feeling good but a little concerned about how the wind was gonna affect proceedings. Back to the car, changed into the race gear, vaselined up. Of course this meant my hands were too bloody greasy to stick my pace band together....so managed to cut the splits out and i pinned them to my race number.actually worked reasonably OK, but will be glad to wear one of the slightly bettered designed asics pace bands next month :) positioned myself close enough to the 1:30 pacers and waited for the off.

Km 1-5 (4:06, 4:05, 4:09, 4:15, 4:13)
    I knew that there would be some time banked in the first few km but I didn't expect the pace to be as quick. I was about 30m down on the pacers at the start line but by about 5k I was right in the middle of the group. I was a little concerned with the pace but it felt comfortable and everything I'd read on here led me to trust the pacers :) I've never raced a 5k but I'm taking this as a PB :)

Km 6-10 (4:09, 4:25, 4:13, 4:14, 4:14)
    The stretch past the zoo and on to the north road saw the pacers put about 60-70 meters on me, but I was fine about this. I felt good and with the 40-50 seconds I'd already banked I was happy enough with that and didn't need to deviated too much from 4:15/km range. I was banking on my ability to finish strong. Went through 10k a couple of seconds over 42 mins which would have been a PB until a couple of weeks ago. Still feeling fine and putting in a pretty even effort.

Km 11-15 (4:17, 4:14, 4:21, 4:10, 4:18)
    A tough enough km near farmleigh but got the seconds back in the next one. I love that little stretch outside the park. Pacers are about 100m ahead at this point but again I was happy with the splits and figured they'd come back to me in the last few km.
    Km 16-21 (4:17, 4:13, 4:12, 4:17, 4:29 :o , 4:18, + :39 @ 3:59)
    Through 10miles in 67:48 which would be nearly a 5min PB for me. I knew I was racing and effort levels were high but I felt in control. Going into the wind down acres road was fine, I got in a small group of about 5 or 6 and we worked together well and the pacers were coming back. Then disaster almost struck, left hamstring really tightened up and I'm starting to panic that 90mins will not happen. A couple of 4min km's to finish are definitely not happening. I shortened my stride a little and tried to be a little lighter on my feet, no idea if this is actually useful or not!, and whilst it was still tender enough it didn't feel in danger. With the finish line in sight I knew a decent clip to the finish line would get me under 90mins. Was able to slow down in the last 30m safe in the knowledge I had my goal in the bag.
    Chip Time: 1:29:52 @ 4:15/km

Thanked the pacer at the finish line, nice guy really encouraged people and seemed genuinely happy that people got in under the 90mins. I had a couple of friends on the bike giving me my drinks and gel. And that really helped, had drinks at 5,10 & 15km with a gel at 10k too. About 150ml of High Five energy source and that worked great. I find it great to have someone to aim for every 5k and they were great motivators :)
    So all in all the training is paying off, I'll go into the last few weeks of DCM training in great spirits and with a lot of confidence.

Jaypers. That's a super run, way under the target. If FBOT wasn't off playing golfball there'd be all kinds of sandbagger accusations being thrown around! Good work, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done really well raced by sounds of report an splitz, looking forward to
    see how DCM goes, don't blame you for being on high.

Well done J and congrats on the PB.
    Sub 1:30 Half is always a nice target to achieve so you have every right to get excited about it. It is a nice confidence boost for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Wow, great run! Hope the hamstring is doing ok.

Jaypers. That's a super run, way under the target. If FBOT wasn't off playing golfball there'd be all kinds of sandbagger accusations being thrown around! Good work, sir.

Erroneous! I did come around to the idea of sub 90 late enough in the day but in fairness I probably should have been looking at it from further out. My races hadn't really gone at all to plan apart from the last month or so......stepping (slightly gingerly) into big couple of weeks now :o

Singer wrote: »
    Wow, great run! Hope the hamstring is doing ok.
    Didn't get any recovery run in yesterday but got out with the kids and dog onto the Curragh....legs coming around. Calves are the last part to usually come back to me :) biggest weeks are upon us....

Mon: Very Easy 12k: 1:05:51 @5:29/km Threw on some calf compression sleeves and nipped down along the Clontarf seafront for a 10k leg loosener, got to the wooden bridge but sunset was so stunning I kept going on past Dollymount to memorial at the end of the pier. Calves tender enough but feeling better by the end of the run.

Tue: Easy 12k: 1:03:30 @ 5:18/km Ended up running up Braveheart Hill in the middle of this run as the evening was so nice, not too many of them left at this stage so I might as well make the most of them. Legs feeling way better by the end of this run.

Have decided that I'm going go for Sub 3:20 in the DCM....flirted with 3:15 but I think this is more reasoned choice and one I can definitely achieve if training continues to go well up the big day.

Wed: Easy 14k: 1:14:37 @5:20/km
    The run happened, legs felt back to normal, nothing else to report.

Thursday: Session: 3k w/u...10x500m Hill repeats @ 85% effort with recovery jog on the downhill...3k c/d

Session went well, got a bit of life back into the legs. Planned on doing it on grass on Braveheart Hill but Army had the red flags flying as they were firing on the ranges so went to Athgarvan to do it on the hill there. The uphills were into a serious wind and having my head set to doing them on grass, the first couple on the concrete took were tough enough. Got going in the end and really felt like I'd put in a good session.

• Advertisement

Sat: Long Run 32k: 2:50:56 @ 5:21/km
    Good vibes aplenty after that. Best I've ever felt at the end of long run. Legs in good nick, pace felt pretty easy, nothing else to report really. A good day.... :)

Advertisement