Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thanks for all the well wishes on here, much appreciated. Line has been drawn underneath what happened, i run past the spot everyday so it has to be like that really. I was lucky i came out unscathed to all intents and purposes. Life is too good right now to let **** like that affect my enjoyment of it. So onwards and upwards.....my advice was just to ease back in and see where I was after a couple of days.

Mon 22nd: 10.73k: 51:51 @4:50/km

Felt great to be alive! Body was fine, just frustrated after a week off.....

Sat: 11k: 50:27 @4:30/km

Sun: 10.26k: 52:12 @5:05/km

Prob closer to previous days pace but had to run last 3k with a 5kg bag of potatoes over the shoulder which finished in a 1k walk as bag was about to rip!!

Mon: 10k including Goal Christmas Mile down in Newbridge A.C..

Tue: 12k: 57:01 @4:46/km

Wed: 21.3k: 1:53:22 @5:19/km

On to the frozen plains for this. Trail runners on, ran it with my mate who I'm running Rotterdam with. Some hill sprints and Fartlek thrown in. A great couple of hours!

Thu: 11.3k: 56:03 @5:03/km Almost missed this run,but then I ate a shed load of crisps and felt guilty...... :)

Fri: 12k: 60mins-ish....no watch.

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 1 of 14

Day 1: 16.3k Easy: 1:19:35 @4:53/km

Whilst it could all go horribly wrong, the first of January seems like a great day to start a marathon block :) First 6 weeks are ready to go, 120-130k per week which takes me up to Trim 10 Mile. Bones of the rest is more or less set,but also ready to be adjusted if needs be. 8 long runs with 2-3 medium long runs pencilled in, 3 races lined up; Prosperous 10k, Trim 10mile & Bohermeen Half with the possibility of another 10k late on. Sessions on Wed & Sat for the most part......now how much life will impact on this I don't know, but I'm going to give this everything that I can. There's no procrastinating this time around, sub 3 is the target, anything else along the way will be a bonus. Can't wait to give this a rattle....

Tue: 16.6k Steady: 1:16:57 @4:39/km

Wed: Session: 10k Tempo was original plan, but ended up going down to local A.C. track session for a look. Did 10 x 90secs w/90sec recoveries. Have it a good rattle, didn't time them fantastically on the watch as u was caught on the hop for the first one, but reckon I was keeping 78/77 sec 400m pace for most with a couple of fast ones to finish.

Thu: 10k Easy: 51:21 @5:06/km

A 6th birthday day of Lego building and general partying meant getting any run in was a bonus here :)

Fri: 14k Easy: 1:09:01 @4:56/km

Sat: Session: 6 x 300m hills, 6 x 150m hills (Braveheart). Walk/jog recoveries to the bottom and then off again! Did it in a group and really pushed it hard. 300's were tough but satisying, 150's steep and into a nasty wind, tough going but finished stronger than I started.....tender in a couple of spots i hadnt felt in a while ;)

Sun: Long Run 30k: 2:40:49 @5:21/km

Planned to do a progression run here but that was blown out of the water due to some pretty treacherous road conditions. Didn't come across dodgy patches until about 15k by which time we couldn't really deviate from our route....so got the miles in and managed, just, not to kill ourselves. Won't make the same mistake again with that route on an icy morning......

Weekly Total: 115k

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 2 of 14

Mon: 14k Recovery: 1:14:44 @5:20/km
    Big loop of the plains, everything was tender after Saturday's and Sunday's exertions. 10k in I started to feel like I was back on an even footing. That Hill session really took it out of me.....

Tue: 15k Easy: 1:14:51 @4:58/km
    Late out and about the town run around Newbridge. First 3/4kms were really slow despite effort levels feeling like the splits should be faster. Felt great by the end.

Wed: 10k Easy: 49:59 @5:00/km
    Planned 12k tempo got scratched. Work is mental at the moment and this was one of those days between the baby, my two boys and work, it was half 8 in the evening before I got time to breathe! I'm under strict instructions not to shoehorn in runs and especially sessions if I'm under pressure. So the session got shelved and I got out for a little run.

Thu: 15k Relaxed/Steady: 1:12:54 @4:47/km
    Back out on the plains for this one. Seriously dense fog meant I was navigating by memory. Felt great after yesterdays easy day. Plains are in pretty soft condition and the effort was certainly steady for the most part. The heavy for whilst making for a nice calm and quiet run, isn't the nicest **** to run in.....

Fri: AM 7.5k to work: 38:11 @5:06/km
    PM 9.8k from work: 46:33 @4:46/km

Sat: Session: 6 x 1.1k ish. Loop on plains. Did it in a group and really pushed the boat out again. Wearing trail runners for a speed session did feel a bit strange, but effort levels meant i forgot about it quickly. Some sharp hills and sort ground made the loop very interesting, added to the fact I was really racing my mate who is just that bit stronger than me. 4k cool down after.....

Ave paces were in and around 3:35 to 3:40/km which over that ground was no mean feat!

Sun: 32k Long Run: 2:51:20 @5:20/km
    Entirely on the plains this week, there's definitely a trend developing here :). Did the first 20k at a slower pace with a couple of other friends, and then myself and my mate did the last 12 at a bit of a faster clip. Definitely a push wearing the trail runners for this distance. Legs were tired by the end and whilst I think they would have been regardless, I'd never worn those runners for such a long run or had never done such a long run on the soup!

120k for the Week. Feeling good....

Rotterdam Marathon Week 3 of 14

Mon: 12.2k Recovery: 1:03:53 @5:13/km
    Planned an evening run but collecting little people scuppered that....ran home the long way from work.

Tue: AM 8k Easy: 42:53 @5:20/km
    Had to run back into work as car was still there. A very grim run, 5 tough miles into the wind and sleet at 7am :(

PM: 7k Easy: 34:12 @4:53/km
    The -10° 'real feel' temperature on Accuweather almost felt like a bullseye, so out I went with the pooch into the cold and snow for a few arctic but enjoyable kms.

Wed: Down in Carlow for a work thing, so decided to shoehorn in a 5mile tempo before I came back up. Too close after my lunch, hadn't hydrated properly and watch died half way through :o felt like **** and finished with a stitch....really made a balls of the whole thing. Really annoyed warming down. Reckon I was somewhere in and around 32 mins which was the target but I wasn't feeling it at all.....

Thu: MLR 21.1km: 1:37:31@4:37/km
    Medium Long Run this week as I'm planning to run a 10k on Sunday. Steady and relaxed was the advice, and after yesterdays **** show this was pure bliss. Planned my meals around the run, figured out the route I'd take, Newbridge at night is not the easiest place to get a long run in without going back on yourself, and it went great. Two days, two very different post run feelings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the win J, well done!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the win J, well done!

There's a first time for everything Larry!

Rotterdam Week 3 of 14

Fri: 14k Easy: 70mins ish. No watch.
    Had left my gloves and hat in my parents' the night before when I called in after my MLR.....also managed to leave my watch there, so prodded around the plains after work.....

Sat: AM 10k Easy: 50 mins ish.
    PM. 3.7k home from Parents with my watch :) 18:50 @5:05/km

Sun:
    Prosperous 10k: 39:08 (1st!)

Made my way to Prosperous for this one, weather was horrendous and I'd been listening to/dreading the rain all morning on the window.....wasn't sure what sort of field would be here, was just hoping that there would be someone in or around my pace that I could work with/off, alas this wasn't to be. After a quick exit from the GAA car park I hit the front confidently only to tear off down the wrong bloody road! Had to double back and took me a little while to catch back up with proceedings.....there was a 5k race as well so I managed to run with the 2 leaders of that for the first 2.5k until they turned around and then was on my ownio for the rest of proceedings. Wind and rain were grim and it was more of a mental test than anything else. I think the course was a bit long and i clocked nearly 10.4k, so my time and effort was more satisfying than the clock suggests. Anyway a great workout and mentally very satisfying to run strong on my own I tough conditions. Met some lovely folk afterwards and enjoyed the spread :)

110k for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done on the win, great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

healy1835 wrote: »
    Rotterdam Week 3 of 14

Fri: 14k Easy: 70mins ish. No watch.
    Had left my gloves and hat in my parents' the night before when I called in after my MLR.....also managed to leave my watch there, so prodded around the plains after work.....

Sat: AM 10k Easy: 50 mins ish.
    PM. 3.7k home from Parents with my watch :) 18:50 @5:05/km

Sun:
    Prosperous 10k: 39:08 (1st!)

Made my way to Prosperous for this one, weather was horrendous and I'd been listening to/dreading the rain all morning on the window.....wasn't sure what sort of field would be here, was just hoping that there would be someone in or around my pace that I could work with/off, alas this wasn't to be. After a quick exit from the GAA car park I hit the front confidently only to tear off down the wrong bloody road! Had to double back and took me a little while to catch back up with proceedings.....there was a 5k race as well so I managed to run with the 2 leaders of that for the first 2.5k until they turned around and then was on my ownio for the rest of proceedings. Wind and rain were grim and it was more of a mental test than anything else. I think the course was a bit long and i clocked nearly 10.4k, so my time and effort was more satisfying than the clock suggests. Anyway a great workout and mentally very satisfying to run strong on my own I tough conditions. Met some lovely folk afterwards and enjoyed the spread :)

110k for the week.

Congrats on the win! Take those any day you can, especially in weather like today's.

• Advertisement

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 4 of 14

Mon: 10k Recovery: 52:49 @5:17/km

Tue: Session 16x400m w/60secs rec.

Did this with my training partner, but he was 3 reps in by the time I was ready to start, last 3 reps were on my own and they hurt a little bit! All reps were in the 78-82 sec range. Session was meant to be Wednesday but my LR has to be Saturday this week, my two sessions were pushed to Tue and Fri. Took it easier than I would have done otherwisr since i was racing on Sunday. Also the track I used is more Rectangle/Irregular Pentagon! so those splits were earned :)

Wed: 16k Easy: 1:20:42 @ 4:59/km

Very wet plod around the plains for this.

Thu: 13.5k Easy: 1:06:47 @ 4:59/km

Up in Citywest for a conference so ran some roads I used to be familiar with from my time in Tallaght. Nice morning for a run....

Fri: Session 6x1mile. Another day at the conference, and shock horror i actually had to manually time these as I'd worn my 'good' watch out to dinner the night before and forgotten to take it off. Measured the mile in the car and off I set out around Citywest. They all were in or around the 6 mins but I wasn't happy with the session. I'd new Adios Boosts on but I'd brought the wrong socks with me (1000 mile thick ones). Shoes weren't comfortable and the lack of a watch pissed me off too. Didn't push myself and felt rather crap afterwards. Then I realised I'd read the wrong week of my plan and it was meant to be 3x2 miles :(

Sat: 32k Long Run: 2:38:25 @4:57/km

Felt great after this. Bit of a progression run, 6k @4:20/km after a 6k warm up. Partner struggled a bit after a heavy week so canned the 2nd 6k at that pace. Felt strong out there.

Sun: 12k Recovery: 1:05ish no watch.

120k for the Week. Trim on Sunday......looking to run strong there.

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 5 of 14

Mon: 16.4k Easy: 1:22:24 @5:01/km
    A buggy loop of the plains on the most stunning of late Winter afternoons....

Tue: 12.3k Easy: 1:00:50 @4:58/km

Wed: Session 20x400 w/60 secs recovery

(Sounds the 'I nailed my session klaxon')

Splits: 77,76,78,77,80,80,77,76,78,77,77,78,78,76,77,77,77,77,76,73

Had never done this session before but I was assured that the last 3/4 reps were 'just a mental thing' :) felt great out there, effort was high but I was pretty relaxed throughout. You really can't underestimate how great you feel after a session has gone well :)

Oh, and 502k for January :o

All the best in Trim tomorrow, run well.

Rotterdam Week 5 of 15 (contd)

Thu: 11k Easy: 57:02 @5:11/I'm

Fri: AM: 10k Easy: 53:00 @5:18/km
    PM: 7k Relaxed: 32:38 @4:39/km

Sat: 10k Relaxed: 47:41 @4:46/I'm

Sun: Race: Trim 10 Mile

So now that Bohermeen Half Marathon was off the cards, this race took on a bit more importance. I knew I'd be coming off record mileage for me (500k in January) so I was prepared to run on tired legs.

Got there in decent time, bit of a trek from the OPW car park to the industrial est. Bag dropped bit of a warm up, managed to tweak something in my knew climbing over a fence which really threw me for about 5 mins. My knee is always an area of paranoia for me and I was seriously spooked. Luckily enough it subsided and I found myself at the start line.

I promised myself that if the opportunity arose to go with a group that was maybe running a little faster than I had planned that I was gonna grow a pair and go with them. Race started and I found myself tipping away at a nice relaxed pace. True to my prediction I had to decide whether to go with a group of maybe 4 guys or let them go, I decided to go with them and settled quickly into a nice rhythm. First 3 miles were all around 6:15 and it quickly became apparent that we were all in or around the same pace and we worked pretty well together for about 5 miles. I took my share of turns at the front and by 7/8 miles we were moving and reeling in quite a few runners in front of us. A few drags but the course was quite fair I thought and really well marshalled. I was tracking my splits in km but paying close attention to the mile splits too. Dug in the last 2k and really felt strong out there. Don't think anyone went by me after 3/4 miles.

Finished up in 1:02:26 which would be a 3 and a half minute PB.

5 Mile splits were 31:36 & 30:50. Really happy with that and definitely the best paced race I've put in so far. Great to get a confidence booster to take me into the next few weeks of training. Great refreshments afterwards and I'll definitely be back in Trim for this one.

Good man, the second half is the tougher half i reckon. 3 and half minute PB is great racing.

Well done J great racing, congrats on the PB.

Rotterdam Marathon Week 6 of 14

Mon: 10k Recovery: 55:24 @5:32/km
    Feeling the effects of previous days exertions. Planned on going longer but in the end I was happy with 10k! Feeling a bit better by the end. Checking back on the splits from Trim, my fastest 5kms were 16, 15, 14, 13 & 12. Pretty happy with that :)

Tue: 16.3k Easy: 1:23:08 @5:06/km
    Felt like Rocky training for Ivan Drago whilst running on the frozen plains. Would have made a nice montage.....

Wed: 14k Inc 20x60secs Fartlek Session, 60 secs recoveries.
    Made the best of a crap day and fitted in some semblance of a session.

Thu: 16k Relaxed/Steady: 1:13:49 @4:37/km
    Trying to fit in at least one steadier run each week..... felt great on this one and the pace felt really comfortable.

Fri: Am: 7.5k Easy: 37:24 @4:57/km
    Pm: 7.5k Easy: 35:49 @4:47/km

In and out of work.

Sat: Session 8x400 Hills w/downhill big recoveries.
    Ran these pretty much flat out, pushed the pace with the training partner and didn't leave a whole lot out there. Got my ass handed to me on a couple of the reps but regained some respectability by the end!

16k for the day.

Sun: 32k Long Run: 2:40:43 @5:01/km
    Not the most inspiring of runs. The two of us weren't in great form and it was pretty Baltic out there.....but after about 10k we started to come round a bit and we were in great form by the end. No trees pulled up today but always nice to get another long run in the bag.

Weekly Total: 120k

Rotterdam Marathon 2018 Week 7 of 14

Mon: 12k Recovery: 1:06:06 @5:31/km
    Felt every meter of this one, but as always felt decent by the end. I'm definitely running my recovery runs a lot better this training block.....

Tue: 15k Easy: 1:14:22 @4:57/km

Wed: 16.2k Easy: 1:23:48 @5:10/km
    10 of the muckiest and softest miles I've ever put in on the plains. Ran the EoI Marathon loop a couple of times, temperature was rising as the sun was setting. Glorious.

Thu: Session: 8 Mile Tempo
    Just the one session on the cards this week, and 36k Long Run on Sunday. Plan for today was to average 6:30 Miles.....
    Set off with my Rotterdam training buddy and headed out 4 miles from the Camp towards Sunnyhill and back again. Route was pretty hilly and wind was horrendous. Two of us worked our asses off to try and maintain the pace, taking turns into the wind and on the uphills. Finished it in 51:44 with some pretty consistent splits in the end, despite the 2nd half bearing the brunt of the wind. Buzzing afterwards, best either of us have felt after a session yet.

51:44 @6:28/mile

Fri: 13k Easy: 1:05:26 @5:02/km
    After a morning spent in the Zoo with the two boys and all that entails, followed by a pretty tasty Milanos, I wasn't really in the humour for this.....but it got done :)

Sat: 13k Easy: 1:03:41 @4:54/km
    Couldn't bring myself to watch All Ireland Club semi on TV, so headed off for a run instead and listened to the commentary......

Sun: 36k Long Run: 2:53:21 @4:48/km
    Was dreading this and looking forward to it in equal measure. My training partner, who has a slightly different outlook on things decided that he'd rather run a marathon than a 36k training run, so he popped off to Lusk yesterday and ran 3:07! It was his 40th marathon so he has his own spin on things....still left me without a partner and feeling a bit meh about the run. Id also only ran 36k once in training before and that was pretty pedestrian.
    The plan was to run it as a progression run, but on effort rather than specific time goals. Ended up running 1st 12k in 59:02, 2nd 12k in 58:15 and 3rd 12k in 56:04.
    Felt really strong today, took a small isotonic drink @20k and a gel@30k and I could definitely have cracked out the 6 or so km that were left for a sub 3:20 marathon this morning, which for me was kind of cool.
    Halfway through the 14 Week block for Rotterdam. I feel so much stronger and fitter than I did for Berlin. 802km done in the 7 weeks, a 39:11 '10k', 62:26 10 Mile, 3x30k, 32k and 36k LR's, some great sessions and, most importantly, training with a partner who is constantly pushing me.....Let's keep it going now! :)

• Advertisement

Rotterdam Marathon 2018 Week 8 of 14

Mon: Recovery #1 7.4k: 37:40 @5:07/km
    Recovery #2 9.2k: 48:55 @5:17/km

Tue: Easy 8.1k: 39:48 @4:55/km
    Easy 8.6k: 43:23 @5:02/I'm

Wed: Session 5x2k/2mins Rec
    Plan was to hit 7:30 vicinity and work down towards 7:20. Met my buddy and we went to the Curragh Racecourse to do this on the gravel path inside the course. Not the flattest 2k you could find but it was a nice surface and no one would disturb us :) disaster of a nights sleep with our newest arrival meant I was a bit iffy about my ability to hit the targets but once again, having someone pushing you on each interval was a Godsend.

Splits:
    1. 7:27
    2. 7:26
    3. 7:21
    4. 7:18
    5. 7:22

Happy with that, another decent session knocked off the list and no ill effects from Sunday's 36k.

Thu: 11k Easy: 55:48 @5:04/km

Fri: 12k Easy: 1:00:00 @5:00/km

Sat: 30k Long Run: 2:43:57 @5:28/km

Both myself and my training partner had to get this done early so off we took to the freezing, dark and damp Curragh Plains @6am. Neither of us was really in the humour so we eked out a pretty funky route around and just got the miles in. Tired afterwards.....

Sun: 16k Easy: 1:20:10 @5:01/km

Ran with another friend for the last 10k of his long run and he was glad of the company i think. Glorious day out there.

125k for the Week

Rotterdam Marthon Week 9 of 14

Mon: 16k Easy: 1:18:44 @4:55/km

Found myself down in Killenard in Mt St Anne's for the day. Got out and took myself off towards Portalington which turns out to be one of the longest towns I've ever passed through!! Nice run though....

Tue: Session 20x400m /60secs jog recovery

Weather wasn't exactly helping here, but i was determined to get a good session in, especially with the weather prospects for later this week. Met my training partner and away we went. Even though I felt a bit more sluggish than the last time I ran this session, before Trim, I was hitting better splits, and was really motoring by the end. I've definitely come on the last 4 weeks and this is/would be a nice tune up for my Half Marathon time trial on Saturday, which is obviously on ropey ground now.

Splits:

1-10: 79,77,76,75,77,77,77,77,79,77

11-20: 77,76,75,75,74,76,77,73,76,71

This non-running lark is all just a bit grim......

Fri: 16k Snowy: 1:17:51 @4:52/km

2 days housebound had me going a but stir crazy. No access to a treadmill, so I bit the bullet, got out of my estate which was pretty horrendous, but once on the roads the run was ok. Hairy at times as Newbridge got a bit of a battering but the main roads were fairly ok. Not for the faint hearted, but ok. Back in the game and feeling okay with life once again. :)

Sat: 21k Easy: 1:39:51 @4:45/km

Planned on 26/28k depending on how the roads were. Wore my trail runners as I did the previous day but the roads were actually pretty clear for the most part so I didn't really need them as they weren't the best ride on the clear roads. Also stepped in/fell into a massive slush filled pothole which ensured my feet were 2 blocks of ice from about 14k onwards, which made my mind up to turn off planned route and shorten run to 21k.

Sun: 16.5k Easy: Mate was doing his long run with loops of the Camp. Joined him for 4 of them.

Weekly Total: 87k with 2 rest days and a good session. I would have taken that Wednesday morning. Gonna do the cancelled half Marathon time trial in the Phoenix Park this Saturday instead. The couple of rest days won't do me any harm to be fair. Passed 1000km for the year on Sat :) 5 weeks to go.....

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 10 of 14
    Mon: 15k Easy: 1:15:01 @5:00/km

Weather meant my regular work day wasn't on the cards, so got 15k in around the Camp in the morning.

Tue:
    Rough couple of nights sleep with the little one. Took an age to get her to bed so was faced with doing a 6x1mile session after 9pm feeling fairly wiped out. So just went out and did 12k Easy in around an hour

Wed:
    Session changed from 6x1 miles, as I'm gonna do a Half Marathon time trial on Saturday. So the session was:

4k w/u
    2 Miles in 12:30 (12:26)
    5 mins light
    1 Mile in 6:00 (5:58)
    5 mins light
    800m in 2:50 (2:41)/4k c/d

Effort levels were a little high if I'm honest for some splits that I should have hit a lot easier. It was over a week since I had any speedwork so it was to be expected to an extent i suppose.

Gonna give the Half a rattle on Saturday. It'll be a new experience for me to run it as a time trial. Gonna try and hit 1:23:xx and see how that works out. As opposed to previous marathons, I'm less concerned about nailing a good half to give me confidence for the main event,but it would be still nice to run a decent time.....

• Advertisement

The TT Saturday solo?

Half Marathon Time Trial: Phoenix Park:

1:22:33@3:55/km

So with Bohermeen turning out to be not feasible, my mate/erstwhile 64 min Half Marathoner/pseudo coach decided we'd run a time trial and he'd shake off some cobwebs and pace me around! Ran 3 loops from in front of the Aras, down Chesterfield, left at the Zoo and back around via the North Road. Also threw in a mini loop by Ashtown visitor centre.
    Decided we'd aim for sub 1:23, and to be honest there's not much of a report to write! Held pace relatively comfortably, negative split and good vibes aplenty. Bit of gurning going on the last mile which was uphill unfortunately, but felt in decent shape afterwards :)

This a pretty massive confidence booster for me. I think that in a race setting I could have dipped under 1:22 today. Having the personal pacer was class I have to say ;) so if you saw a guy in an orange singlet running with an weirdly intense look for a regular run in the Park on his gimp today following a guy looking very comfortable at that pace, that was me ;)

4 weeks to Rotterdam........Can't wait.

Seriously impressive stuff running that in training, great confidence boost. Huge well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great run. Does that count as a PB? :)

Singer wrote: »
    Great run. Does that count as a PB? :)

Yeah not sure how that works! Probably not officially? But I think I'll claim it for the time being just to keep confidence levels high ;)

• Advertisement

Rotterdam Marathon 2018: Week 11 of 14

Mon: 10 Miles Easy: 1:24:54 @5:16/km
    Recovery miles on the plains....

Tue: AM: 6k Easy w/pooch: 30mins ish
    PM: 10.2k Easy: 52:26 @5:09/km
    Got am early run in so I could have my evening run finished in time for the United game. Should have left it all for the evening :(

Wed: Hill Session 8x400m, 8x150m & 1x 1mile ish

Did this in the eye of whatever storm was knocking around Wed on Braveheart Hill. The downhill 'recoveries' on the 400's we're probably the toughest conditions I've ever ran. Wind and sleet were worse than anything I've come across. We did some shorter, steeper stuff on the side of the hill and then a big loop with a hands and knees crawl up a steep bank at the end. A great day :)

Thu: 13.6k Easy: 1:09:30 @5:07/km

Fri: AM: 7.5k: 36:54 @4:57/km
    PM: 9k: 42:21 @4:42/km
    In and out of work.

Sat: 5miles: 38:48 @4:49/km
    A post parade/grand slam arctic window for a run opened up......

Sun:Long Run 33.6k: 3:01:47 @5:25/km
    Woke up to a blanket of snow. Eyes are on the prize now though and I wasn't missing this run. Figured the snow would be ok to run on and was proved right. A couple of laps of the town, dropped a gel in the snow and had it about 25k, delish was not the word :) great vibes the whole way around,the two of us just firming up plans for Rotterdam as we battled the elements. Felt great out there, fire blazing now and satisfaction levels are high :)

125k for the Week.....

Rotterdam Marathon 2018: Week 12 of 14
    Mon: 10.5k Easy: 52:21 @4:59/km

Tue: 14k Easy: 1:13:10 @5:09/km
    Tired for this one, Sunday's 21Miler in the snow catching up with me a bit. Got a good rub down and dry needling in the evening. Felt a lot better for it.....

Wed: AM 5k w/pooch: c25mins
    PM 10k Easy: 48:24 @4:50/km

Thu: Thursday afternoon race report!!

Air Corps 5 Mile Road Race

Training partner is in the Defence Forces so he got me a 'guest' entry into this which was just for the DF. Instructions were not to taper at all and just have a good blow out. So with the guts of 50Miles in the legs since Sunday off I went to Casement Aerodrome to run around the airfield.....

Decided I'd plug 6min miles into the on-board computer and see where that got me. Wind was absolutely horrendous,never ran in anything like it in a race
    . Was on pace up until about half way but struggling a little with the wind....., but there was a mile+ right into the wind where I'm haemmoroging time. Had sort of resigned myself to a mediocre time,but the last 2k were down wind.
    Managed to get a second wind and finished with 3:32 & 3:29 downwind kilometers......for a time of 29:59 :)

Delighted to break 30mins (just!!) at the end of some heavy training in tough conditions. Couple of sessions left along with a 24k steady run 10 days out and then that's me.

Great time, can well imagine the aerodrome in Baldonnel being a windy spot.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great time, can well imagine the aerodrome in Baldonnel being a windy spot.

Cheers :) yeah I'd say it's probably windy at the best of times but yesterday was windy even by normal standards by all accounts....always nice to knock a round number off the list.

Fri: 10k Easy: 49:01 @4:54/km

Meant to be at recovery pace but only glanced at the watch about 6k in to see 4:45/km ave......

Sat: Purple Run 1k: 7:20

Up in the PP with the whole family for this one, so got in the fun run with the 2 boys, including a pit stop and hand over to Mammy for one of them!.....And then was given an hour's window to get my own run in while we were up there :)

12k Relaxed/Steady: 54:21 @4:31/km

Weather was fantastic, pace felt about 20 seconds a km slower than it was. Great run.....

Sun:
    Session 20x400m /60 secs recovery.

Did this up on the Curragh race course for a change and an extra challenge. Felt way into session and we managed to keep final 16 reps under 80 after a couple of bloopers early on. It's amazing the difference taking a session off the track makes.....

100k for the week

Rotterdam Marathon Week 13 of 14 :o

Mon: 12k Recovery: 1:02:21 @5:10/km

Made sure to keep the pace down for this one after previous 'recovery run.

Tue: 11k Relaxed: 53:27 @4:52/km

Wed: Medium Long Run 24k: 1:53:57 @4:45/km

Last decent run before Rotterdam. Took it out easy and built up to a fairly steady pace by the end. Took a gel on after 10 miles just to make sure that I've made the right choice of gels for the marathon. Next Sunday can't come soon enough, not looking forward to the next few days!!

Thu: 5 Miles Easy: 40:48 @5:04/km

Fri: 11k Easy: 56:14 @5:07/km

Sat: Session 3 x 2Mile

I think I had said previously that I had just a 'bit of a session' left.....then I actually checked the plan and saw 3x 2Mile and realised that there was a bit more meat left on the bones of this training block. Target was 12:20's with the emphasis on getting a good workout and most importantly feeling good afterwards!

Splits: 12:07, 12:20, 11:57

Took first one out a bit too hot on the watch but pace felt pretty comfortable. Dialled it back on the 2nd one and hit a 12:20 dead, but really felt like it wasn't an honest effort. Finished then with an 11:57 and feeling in great nick. Now that IS that for the training block....easy running for the most part until Sunday.

Just back from Rotterdam and the Coolsingel and Eramusbridge is decked out with the marathon flags, brought me back to 2016. You have had a savage training block and no doubt you’ll run a great race tomorrow week.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Just back from Rotterdam and the Coolsingel and Eramusbridge is decked out with the marathon flags, brought me back to 2016. You have had a savage training block and no doubt you’ll run a great race tomorrow week.

Nice one mate. Trying to keep things under wraps here and not get dialled in too early! Are you going to be in Rotterdam in a spectator capacity?

Nice one mate. Trying to keep things under wraps here and not get dialled in too early! Are you going to be in Rotterdam in a spectator capacity?

Will try my best to work on a day pass for it during the week!!

All the best Sunday dude, hoping it all goes to plan for you. Run well!!

• Advertisement

Rotterdam Marathon 2018: Week 14 of 14

Mon: 10.2k Easy: 49:51 @4:52/km

Tue: 6.5k Easy: 31:54 @4:54/km

Wed: 2Miles/2Miles @MP/2+Miles
    Averaged about 6:40 for the MP section. Feeling great at the moment. Will post my pre race thoughts in a while and then gonna try and keep adrenaline levels in check for the next few days :)

The very best of luck on Sunday J. Have a great race, based on the training you've been putting in you certainly deserve one. Sub 3 all the way, run well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck on Sunday. Hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck for Sunday.

Just finished last little stretch of the legs in and around a warm and sunny Rotterdam :) thanks for the well wishes. Feeling pretty positive about tomorrow, I know I can do it, hopefully the Marathon Gods will shine on me and I will do it! Off to the Expo now and then try to catch the soccer while simultaneously avoiding eye contact with the thousands of people drinking delicious looking pints on the streets of Rotterdam today........

Calves went 28k in. Moving well before then. Grim enough finish, came in under 3:15 i think. Just another statistic to add to the numbers of people who blow up in the 2nd half of a marathon. Tough to take.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Calves went 28k in. Moving well before then. Grim enough finish, came in under 3:15 i think. Just another statistic to add to the numbers of people who blow up in the 2nd half of a marathon. Tough to take.....

Chin up.

You'll get there, another experience that'll stand to you.

TbL

Rotterdam Marathon Race Report

Pre Race:
    Flew over Friday lunchtime to Amsterdam and got train from Airport to Rotterdam. As painless and straightforward a journey as you could wish for. Hotel was about 1km from the Centraal Station (pretty impressive building) so I walked to the hotel and checked in. 2 friends who were also running weren't in until later that evening so I unpacked and went for a run down to the Coolsingel where the finish line and expo were and then across and back over the Erasmusbrug which came to about 30mins.
    Day was warm, breezy but warm, a portent of what was to come. Went for dinner that night in the restaurant up the top of the Euromast which was pretty cool.
    Next day we hit the expo after a little 15min jog with some strides. Not a great deal going on there, went to the Markthalle for lunch and then caught the soccer in a bar. Pretty nervous for the most part, but the hotel had BBC on the TV, So the evening passed watching the golf and MOTD :)

Sunday:
    Woke about 6am and that was that. Had usual breakfast of Porridge and some fruit in the hotel and set off about 9am to the bag drop which was only about a km away. Bag drop was straightforward enough, except for one of my mates who was #9000 and something but the drop off sections stopped at 7500 or so, and no one seemed to know where the correct place was. Got sorted eventually and we were jogging the km or so to the start line.
    Mad congestion down that section and there's a lot to be said for Dublin' s start line restrictions on supporters as it's light years ahead of what was going on here. Had gotten an entry into Pen C on the basis of my 62min 10mile in Trim (Well that or the many emails I had sent them just ground them into submission!)
    Got to Pen C about 9:50 just as the (Kenny Powers?) dude was being hoisted up to sing that song from the Carousel musical ;) after a last minute trip to the portaloo, we hopped the fence into the pen, only to realise we were in Pen B, but whatever about our (genuine) mistake, there were a lot of people in there who shouldn't have even been in Wave 1.

Canon went and we were started....

• Advertisement

Km 1-5 21:23 @4:17km

The first few km's were notable for the one thing that probably did for me in the end. Going over the end of the bridge, about a km in I mention to my mate, who I've trained together with and shared the same goals, that I'm feeling thirsty. Was pretty pumped up and put this at the back of my mind as my plan was to take on plenty of fluids every 5k at the stations. Pace was very comfortable, weather was pretty warm, crowds were amazing.....

Km 5-10 21:07 @4:13/km : 42:30

Passed Feyenoord stadium and had the sub 3 pacers round about 200/250m ahead of us but this gap had been pretty consistent since the two sides of the Bridge merged (they had started ahead of us on the opposite side at the startline). The pace was still comfortable but I was delighted to get the cold sponge at the first station as I was feeling the heat. Not uncomfortable, but it was in the back of my mind that I needed to get as much fluids on as possible. Took first gel at 10k, Powerbar Hydro. Partner wasn't feeling particularly fantastic but we were bang on pace.

Km 10-15 21:13 @4:15/km: 1:03:43

Most of this stretch was along the canal and this is where I really felt like it was going to happen for me. I remember the pace being really easy and chatting to my buddy keeping spirits up etc. Taking on fluids at each station but not as much as i would have liked.

Km 15-20 21:07 @4:13/km: 1:24:50
    Halfway: 1:29:32

Scratch that, THIS was the section where I thought it was definitely going to happen. The sub 3 hr pacers are slowly coming back to us, effort levels have not gone up. Sandstorm by Darude was pumping out at a corner near 20k, DJ saluted, he returns in kind. This is the day. Also my buddy suddenly dropped off the road at about 18k and I spent 2k thinking he was out when I get a tap on the shoulder just before 20k mark, and there he is having stopped to relieve himself. Now he's in great form and very confident that we're gonna do it :)

Km 21-25 16:38 @4:16/km: 1:46:10

We'd just overtaken the sub 3 pacers about 24k and were starting to talk about the section in the Park, digging deep and all of that jazz. We were keeping an eye out for a couple of people we knew would be around the course at this point when I felt a bit of pressure in my left calf, almost immediately the right calf followed. **** **** was my immediate thought. It subsided quickly and we went through the 25k mark.

25-30km 23:21 @4:40/km : 2:09:31

Then about 100m later I knew my goose was cooked. My buddy has compared our goodbye to Jack & Rose in Titanic, it wasn't THAT emotional, but pretty traumatic nonetheless :( a quick high 5 later and he's moving up the road. Except it wasn't the end, the cramping stopped and I managed to stay ahead of the sub 3 pacers and about 100m behind him for the next 3km....thoughts turn to which phoenix from the flames analogies that I'm going to use to describe my comeback when, just past those cube designed houses at about the 28k mark, my calves are absolutely pounding and my race grinds to a halt. Stretch them out, get going again but its not really happening. Im in tears at this point, angry, embarrassed, disappointed....take your pick.

30-35km 24:56 @4:59/km 2:34:35

Into the Park, and it's a pretty demoralizing experience. Getting a few decent stretches of running in, but cramps are getting worse. Get a rub down off some random punter on the side of the road and I'm back moving half decent again.......

35-40km 29:04 @5:49/km 3:03:29

Continued in this fashion until the drinks station around 40km came into sight. I reasoned that I could probably walk the 400m to the station, get some liquids in, and then 'run' to the finish. The crowds are going to be insane I tell myself so I really don't want to be walking at that point on the course. I haven't looked at my watch since I stopped and I really don't care what time is on it.....i glance at it and see 3 hrs pass, I find myself praying that my buddy has made it.....

40-42.2km 10:53 @4:57/km : 3:14:22

Get to the finish line, my time is going to be in the 3:14's, a PB but I genuinely don't care at this stage. I just didn't want a DNF.....got my medal, didn't know whether to put it around my neck or throw it over the railing. Maturer reflection has of course made me happy that I chose the former.

Get to baggage area, met my buddy who ran a 4:00 last km for a 2:59:45....we're both pretty emotional, me delighted for him, him gutted for me. Make a few phone calls home and then sit in the sun for the afternoon drinking some pretty delicious beers. So there you have it....still trying to get my head around the whole thing if I'm honest.

Advertisement