Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race. Give that Kipchoge lad a scare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best Healy, Give it socks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing how you get on

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

3:15.....slipped on a plastic cup after 30k, did something nasty to my right hamstring....was moving well until then, on for 3:03ish.... :( keeping the show on the road until the finish was the hardest thing I've ever done! Bit disappointed but super proud of gutting it out and posting a half decent time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Fair play, it's hard to keep going after something like that and grind out a very good result. I hope it's nothing serious. I think the best course of action here is probably copious amounts of beer.

That's a real shame - well done finishing it in a very respectable time. Bloody marathons! Hope the hamstring recovers well.

So Yeah, Berlin done and dusted. It was a brilliant experience I have to say, from start to (very ropey) finish.
    Expo was an experience, went on the Friday morning straight off the plane, it had just opened and queue was a bit nuts, but it moved along nice and quickly. Some nice Adidas gear knocking about so picked up a couple of bits and pieces. I found it mad that anyone could just rock up and buy a finisher t shirt, some things should be sacrosanct....
    Did a bit of sightseeing, Potsdamer Platz, Brandenburg Gate, checked out the finish line. Great buzz around that Friday afternoon and the weather was gorgeous too. Nipped out for a 20min run in the evening and had my second pasta meal of the day :) did a bus tour of the city on the sat morning after a 20 min run, got out at a couple of spots but no major walking. Found a spot to watch United game and headed back to the apartment.
    Up at 6am, porridge breakfast, headed into start area sans any Vaseline. Got some off a very kind English guy, and went into the start block. Having sort of geared up for a dry & hot day, the weather came as a nice surprise, cool and pretty wet, no wind but very humid. Serious buzz being so close to the 3 boys at the start line, I was really amped up in the starting area. So away we go down the big avenue and I'm just trying to get my pace going. No hold ups in traffic, and it's straight down to business.....or not. Got a rattle off some guy from behind who claimed I ran in front of him, I started to argue with him saying I was following the blue line but got cut off when some other dude shouts lace open.....****. so pulled into side of a roundabout tied it back up and caught back up with adversary after about 20 secs. Offered him the hand and we were friends again :) 2km in and I realise that the advice about the GPS being out of sync was correct. I was a little disconcerted but I got on pace quite quickly. The plan was for 3:04, went through 5k about 21:55, ten seconds out, by 10k I was one second under, 43:29. This really gave me a lot of confidence that I able to judge the pace easily. Felt great, took water on at every stop, had first gel at 10k. Crowds really were amazing, some energy off them. I'm feeling great now, nailing the splits, managing the water stations and the art of plastic cup drinking :) went through half way about 30 seconds under target although I'd have to double check that split. Think it was about 1:31:20ish.....im feeling strong, only question was whether to push the pace a bit but I quickly stopped that crazy line of thought. 25k, 30k bang on target. I'm really buzzing now, i know im racing and the body knew it was in a race but everything is holding together. And then the fateful plasticcupgate incident....which will be detailed at a later date as I'm about to board a plane home :)

Might get this finished before take off :) so yeah my splits, half was 1:31:24, 30k was 2:10:17...it was going too well wasn't it. So I'd planned my 3rd and final gel at about 30k. I'd picked one up in the Gelzone at 28k. So at the next waterstop I took some water to take the gel and then made my fateful decision to move back in towards the station and grab another cup, didn't look where I was going and my leg went straight from under me and I went as close as I've ever done to the splits. Immediately I feel the hamstring. I thought I'd actually pulled it properly but I didn't than I god. I'm swearing badly now, trying to get going again but it's under pressure. Stopped and stretched for a while, got going again but 4:30 for a couple of km's was the best i could manage. Had to stop and stretch a couple more times and the calves are screaming now, the slower pace is doing for them. I went from hoping to get under 3:10 to just hoping to finish now. I'm in bad enough shape but once I got Potsdam Platz I said there's no way I'm not running the rest of this. Managed to get home with about 3 km's under 5 mins. Finish through the gate was a bit special......3:15:26 a PB for what that's worth. Taking off now. Thanks to everyone who's been following the log. Looking forward to keep my improvements going and getting fitter and faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Sorry to about your woes in Berlin J but fair play to you for sticking with it and getting the PB. Well done!

• Advertisement

So the dust is still settling on Sunday's efforts and I'm still to-ing and fro-ing on how to feel after it. There's a mixture of pride, frustration, annoyance, impatience and self doubt all floating around in my head.
    Part of me, a large part, just wants to out it down to pure dumb luck, I could run 50 more marathons and not slip on a plastic cup. Then I start chastising myself for not being careful enough; it's been mentioned in these parts enough about the plastic cup debris in Berlin. This added to the wet conditions really should have honed my instincts.....except it sort of did. All through each of the various stations i slowed a step or two, got the liquids on board in a non-spluttery fashion, and stepped out away from the ****e on the road. Looking back at my splits it was the station just after 32k that it happened at. My immediate memory was coming up to the station thinking "there's 10k left and this is there for the taking".....pride and falls and that sort of thing.
    I suppose it's not knowing if I would have closed the deal. The next time out I will be going for sub 3, absolutely no doubt about that, but I won't be going for it safe in the knowledge that i have a 3:03/3:04 marathon under my belt. I'm the sort of runner who typically needs these steps along the way to a big goal.
    I do keep coming back to how good i felt out there. It was a new experience for me to run a marathon without worrying about the course. And it worked out great for the most part! I found a rhythm early on and was able to maintain it. Loads of people to work off helped too; I'm still amazed by people who run fast marathons in smaller scale races. I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to do that to be honest, a half maybe, but a full is a step too far for me right now anyway!
    I was also pleasantly surprised at how I was able to keep pace with the GPS being not at it's most reliable. I was surprised my racers didn't have blue paint on the soles by the end, so close did I stick to the line, so the 43.2km was a big deviation. At least my Garmin is giving me a 3:10 Marathon PB :)
    So just eager to get back at it now. Had a long walk yesterday and will go for a few light runs before the end of the week. No real plans as of yet. 3rd baby due in December might put a stop to any extravagant plans, but I'd like to have a rattle at sub 30 in Raheny in January, and take it from there. Will do DCM next year, maybe have another rattle at Berlin in 2019 now London isn't happening :)

So yeah, maybe I was a little hasty in ruling out anything extravagant......Rotterdam here I come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How's recovery, head and body now ok?

aquinn wrote: »
    How's recovery, head and body now ok?

Recovery going well....been out the last 3 days, just 6k's. Body still a bit tender, but enjoying the easy running. Gonna ease back into it for the next 2 weeks and then have a look at plan for Rotterdam.
    Head a little all over the place, but much better since I booked Rotterdam last night! I think I'm in a good place to kick on and put the end of Berlin behind me. This will be the fittest best shape I've ever gone into a block of training so I'm looking forward to getting going again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great choice in Rotterdam, ran it in 2016, fantastic race. If you need any pointers re course/hotels give me a shout. Flat as fcuk it is.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great choice in Rotterdam, ran it in 2016, fantastic race. If you need any pointers re course/hotels give me a shout. Flat as fcuk it is.

Cheers mate. Yeah I think I'm primed for another marathon and a year until Dublin would be too long and out too much pressure on me. Just one question for now.....do they have plastic cups? ;)

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Cheers mate. Yeah I think I'm primed for another marathon and a year until Dublin would be too long and out too much pressure on me. Just one question for now.....do they have plastic cups? ;)

Nope paper cups that incorporate the smart drinking system!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nope paper cups that incorporate the smart drinking system!!!

And the smart drinking system would be what exactly? :)

And the smart drinking system would be what exactly? :)

Water in paper cups with a sponge on top to prevent it all coming out at once, there's a little triangular opening for you to drink, was skeptical of this myself but it works perfectly.

Have been tipping away since Berlin. No lasting injuries,my right calf was the last to come around. Made it back out the Wednesday for 5k, then 2 6k's and an 8k. Have ran 10k everyday this week. Body feeling good, all easy running so far. Will go easy again next week and add in a longer run next weekend. Loving running than ever after Berlin..... :)

Gonna target a couple of shorter races in Nov/Dec but not sure yet....new arrival due Dec 16th so race choice may be a little more opportunistic than usual :) gonna start doing a bit more than easy running next week....but here was the week just past.

Mon: 10k: 50:34 @5:03/km Loop of the Curragh Plains.

Tue: AM 7k: 35:31 @5:05/km
    PM 7k: 34:56 @4:58/km In and out of work.

Wed: 10k: 45:36 @4:34/km Planned to do a hill session but had to take a trip into Naas, so just ran 10k steady-ish...finished with 4:08 & 4:01 km's. Felt great.

Thu: 10k: 49:27 @4:57/km Naas again.

Fri: 10k 52ish no watch. Loop of the Curragh Plains.

Sat: 16k: 1:21:25 @5:05/km Up at 6am for this,heavy mist, 17°C, no wind....mad weather. Really enjoyed this one, looking forward to getting back out on some longer runs in the next few weeks.

Sun: 10.5k: 52:47 @5:02/km 6am again, mad weather out there altogether. Hope it sorts itself out for DCM, that would NOT be ideal weather at all....

Weekly Total: 80.5km :)

Body feels great, ready to build up to some shorter races and hopefully be in good nick to start training block for Rotterdam in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Congrats on the impending arrival. I'll be very interested to see how the running goes.
    We had our first arrival last week and my god had the lack of sleep made a difference. Took a week off and only got back into some running in the last few days. Can't wait to get into it properly once I'm back to work.

Mon: 10k Easy: 49:48 @4:59/km
    Got out early enough about 10am in front of the storm. Weird conditions to be running in, Curragh Plains blustery at the best of times but this was a bit mad!

Tue: 10.6k Easy: 50:05 @4:43/km off again today so got out for a late afternoon jaunt. Mad damage around the town considering we weren't in one of the more affected regions. This run felt very easy, legs are really bouncing at the moment. 3 weeks of easy running has certainly recharged the batteries.

Wed: 5 Mile Tempo
    First session since Berlin and the instructions were 'Don't bust your balls, run at about 85% of 5mile race pace and put in an honest effort'. I'm hoping to break 30mins in the New Year so I wanted to put a good effort in, I was also conscious of the fact that it was my first session since Berlin. Was in Naas so I said I'd park up at Smyths Toy shop and run about 2.5k to the Parkrun course at the Racecourse. Of course I get to the Racecourse and I've come from the wrong direction and gates are locked. Made a pretty ropey attempt to scale a fence (barbed wire and paranoia about my ACL getting injured again put a stop to it). Pride injured but knee still intact, I set off back in the direction I came from, then out the Blessington road, about turn and back into the town.

Splits:
    Km1: 4:04
    Km2: 4:09
    Km3: 4:12 (Up hill & into wind)
    Km4: 3:52 (back down)
    Km5: 4:01
    Km6: 4:03
    Km7: 4:00
    Km8: 3:55
    &the bit @3:34

5m: 32:27

Delighted with that. Back on the horse & feeling sprightly enough. Broke my balls to run a similar time in a tempo not so long ago, so the progression is there for me to see.....

Hadn't wore the racers since Berlin. Don't know if it was just the 3 weeks of easy running, but they didn't feel great during the run. Must check the mileage on them....

Bit of a mad couple of weeks. My Dad had a bit of a scare health wise, the result of which is a pacemaker that is getting put in tomorrow. So the plan had to take a bit of a back seat to ferrying various people in and out of the hospital.....but he's in good form, biggest issue are his withdrawal symptoms from not having the Sports Channels in hospital!
    So I'll just list my runs here....feeling pretty nifty out there at the moment :)

Mon 12.5k: 1:02:00 @4:57/km
    Tue: 10k: 47:57 @4:48/km
    Wed: 11.5k: 56:47 @4:56/km
    Thu: 12k: 1:00:00 @5:00/km
    Fri: 12.1k: 56:17 @4:39/km
    Sat: 21.1k: 1:42:58 @4:53/km
    Sun: 10.2k: 50:50 @5:00/km

Weekly Total: 89.4km

Mon: 16.1k: 1:12:34 @4:30/km
    Tue: 10k: 50ish no watch

October Total: 330km

Wed: 10.75k: 52:37 @4:54/km

Just between trips to hospital and stuff my runs were at some random times so didn't get the mile session in. Got a couple of steady runs in to try and make up a little bit for that.....feeling great out there. 10k race in Clane was looked at but now that isn't a runner Sat but I'll try and get one in over the next couple of weeks.

Was up at DCM on the bike for a mate (He ran 3:04, great performance and the two of us are going to train for and run Rotterdam together which will be a first for both of us!), was a great experience to watch the race, particularly the runners around 3 hrs, which is where I plan on being in April :) This year seemed to have some big highs and lows around these parts, as I've found out myself anything can happen on the day. The race reports have been great reading......

Thu: 10k w/pooch: 55ish no watch. The dog is getting fierce unpredictable when she gets out for a run. She's either pulling me along or I'm just short of carrying her :)

Fri: Session: 16x400m w/60secs rec

First interval session since Berlin. Wasn't in the most chipper of moods before it, lack of sleep and generally high stress levels to thank. But I got the chance to do it this morning so out I went to the track in Newbridge. Didn't really have any specific time in mind. I'd completed this session the week before the Tullamore Half @80 secs, with all of the reps being on the button. I said I'd aim for 80secs and see where I was after a couple, and gauge effort levels.

Splits:
    83, 81, 78, 79, 79, 79, 82, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 79, 78, 78, 74

Pretty happy with the session. Thought I was gonna spew after no.8 (late enough breakfast meant a bowl of porridge was sloshing around in there), but felt my way into the session and the last few reps felt a lot smoother than the start.

Dad got out of Hospital today so my days should return to their normal timings which will hopefully let me get a race in the next couple of weeks. Thinking of doing the EOI Half on the Curragh Plains as a session. Maybe 5k @4:50, 5k @4:40, 5k @4:30 & 6k @ whatever! That's in a couple of weeks so will look for a 5k or 10k next weekend.

Have you run on the plains much, last time I ran there I'd to constantly watch my step, not great for tempo running imo

TbL

Have you run on the plains much, last time I ran there I'd to constantly watch my step, not great for tempo running imo

TbL

Yeah at least once or twice a week, mostly easy runs but would regularly do tempos and sessions on them too. There's a great (and challenging) 1km little loop that I would use for a session. It can be a bit ropey underfoot at times depending on the amount of rain alright, but I'm just looking for a good hard effort in the Half. If I have to back off I will. Never knew that the EOI guys ran a race on the plains, so it's great to take part in a race over a route I'd run every week! (Plus my wife will be about 2 weeks away from her due date so I'll just about get away with it ;) )

Sat: Long Run: 24.2km: 2:02:35 @5:05/km

Had to switch LR from Sunday, so took it easy after yesterday's 400's session. The extra hour in the morning was great for this one as I was out the door at 6am and reached the Curragh plains as the sun was rising, fantastic stuff.

Sun: 10k w/pooch: 53ish, no watch.

As last week!

95k: Weekly Total

Mon: Easy 12k: 1:01:56 @5:10/km.

On the plains, pretty ropey conditions but enjoyable nonetheless.

Tue: AM: 8.1k: 41:35 @5:07/km
    PM: 9.4k: 44:59 @4:48/km

In & out of work.

Wed: Hill Session: 8 x Braveheart Hill 500m (w/ approx 6.5k w/u & c/d)

Ran this one hard in the lashings of wind of rain as had gotten some pretty devastating news about a good friend. Running has really helped me this year during some ropey emotional times....

Splits for the climbs were
    1. @4:34/km
    2. @4:42/km
    3. @4:42/km
    4. @4:44/km
    5. @4:45/km
    6. @4:44/km
    7. @4:30/km
    8. @4:18/km

Definitely the most I've put into a session for a while. Conditions were awful, but it was what the system needed I think.

Thu: AM: 8k: 41:49 @5:13/km
    PM: 8k: 37:50 @4:44/km

In and out of work again. Started planning Rotterdam training block last night, very excited about what's to come...

Fri: 10k Easy: 50ish No watch

Sat: 10.6k Easy: 53:20 @ 5:03/km

Sun: 13k Steady: 59:46 @ 4:30/km

Got out late in the afternoon, was bouncing off the road for this. Did a progression run of sorts, last 5k around 21 mins, pace felt comfortable.

Weekly Total: 100km for the Week

Mon: Long Run: 15 miles: 2:07:03 @5:13/km

Moved Long Run to Monday as wanted to run the EOI route with a mate who's ran it before Saturday's Half Marathon. Did 3 laps of the 5 mile loop ....flipping hell, it's a tough loop, complete with step ladder over fence :) .I run over most of the route every week, but it'll be a tough stretch if the weather isn't great this week. Ran 2 loops easy and final loop a bit steadier. Conditions were cold,damp and very mucky. Gonna be a tough effort on Saturday morning which is exactly what I want.

Lap 1: 43:39
    Lap 2: 43:27
    Lap 3: 38:14

Will start off at 4:30/min km's for the first lap on Saturday morning and see how they're feeling and take it from there. Hoping to do a 5k and 10k over the next 2/3 weeks but that is very much in the lap of the Gods as regards when our impending arrival arrives and how everyone is doing before and after :)

Tue: Rest!! Tired after yesterday, had a few things in work to take care of and then the game later on.

EOI Curragh Half Marathon

So signed up for this and said I'd use it as a good work out and a progression run of sorts. Tough week on the personal front, meant I rocked up this morning with no thought having been given to how I was going to run it. It was wet and the plains were gonna cut up badly immediately regretted not owning a decent pair of trail runners.
    So I said I'd head out at 4:30/km pace for the first 5mile loop and then see where I was. Race started and settled in to a decent rhythm. It wasn't a race effort, but it was steady and controlled on some pretty challenging terrain. First lap over, took a small bottle of water and gel at about 10k, and that gave me a good boost. Started to feel good about 12k in so pushed on a bit. A couple of runners had passed me in the first lap and were about 200-250m ahead, so they provided a nice target to reel in. The half broke off from the full loop after 2 and then did two mini loops to bring up the 13 miles. I was really in a rhythm now, 4:15's and under the rest of the way.

Result: 1:31:07 @4:19/km (6th place)

1st half: 46:50ish
    2nd half: 44:20ish

Really enjoyed that. No pressure on myself, just running at a good effort and posting a decent time on a tough course in tough conditions. Never ran cross country before, so being caked in muck and sheep ****e was a different experience :) I is in a good spot right now. Keep things ticking over in December and then start Rotterdam training block rearing to go!

Easy week this week. While i didn't race the Half last Sat, the run definitely took a bit out of me, and after a up and down period in general, the plan was to just ease off this week, no sessions, run on feel mostly with a longish run at the wk/end.

Mon: Very Easy 12.1k: 1:03:56 @5:18/km

Obviously I wasn't too scarred from Saturday's HM, so i returned to the plains and ambled around in the mud. Very enjoyable, but things got dark quickly. Gonna get a head torch off santa I think as I've lost the one from the race series half last year....

Tue: Very Easy 13.3k: 1:08:11 @5:08/km

Up in town for a conference, so got up early to the Phoenix Park for this one. Always a treat to run in the PP.....

Wed: Off. Couple of things cropped up in work which led to me having to take a rain check on the run. Not too bothered as was feeling a bit on the tired side.

Thu: Easy 14k: 1:09:36 @4:58/km

Back to the plains for this one. Legs feeling nice and fresh after the day off, made my way over and up Braveheart Hill as part of this one. Have been using my old Ghost 10's on the plains, but they really aren't up to much as I found out in the Half. Ordered a pair of Brooks Caldera so looking forward to running in a decent pair of trail runners.

Fri: Easy 5m: 38:24 @4:46/km

Not a lot of time to get a run in, so did something a little quicker.

Sat: Easy 10.6k: 51:23 @4:48/km

In the sleet and snow. I love running in cold weather and this run was no different.

Sun: Long Run: 24k: 1:55:31 @4:49/km

Ran this with, shock horror, my phone and headphones as my wife is 38wks pregnant so I need to be contactable from here on in. It was nice to zone out and listen to some podcasts but I could take it or leave it. I don't think I'll be tempted to take them with me once our newest arrival comes along :) run was uneventful enough. Hopefully going to do something a bit more exciting with my long run next weekend. 6x1mile session mid week is on the cards as well.

Weekly Total: 82k (6 days)

Passed 2000 miles for the year during the week. Didn't have any target in terms of mileage this year but after missing most of Mar and Apr I would have taken that total by the end of November.

• Advertisement

Mon: 10k V Easy: 51:36 @5:09/km
    A leisurely plod around the very cold Curragh.

Tue: 10k Easy: 50:56 @5:06/km
    Nothing to report!

Wed: 6 x 1mile Session off 2mins rec.
    Had been looking forward to giving this a rattle, but by the time I got out to do it I was less than enthused. Had a bad nights sleep and have gotten some mouth ulcers which really are no craic at all. Anyway, got out on the top road in the Camp, which is long and straight and great for 1km repeats, not so much for miles I find.....

Splits: 5:56, 5:53, 5:53, 5:48, 5:48, 5:43

Happy with that. Was putting it in hard out there and was pretty cream crackered by the end. :) Gives me a decent idea of where I am regarding this type of session.

Thu: 12k Easy: 59:58 @5:00/km

Fri: 20k Easy: 1:44:57 @5:15/km

Had a date with the RPSI Santa Train on Saturday, so had 10 miles planned with my mate who's coming back from injury....turned into 20k, wasn't too bothered as I knew the chances of me getting out the next day were slim.

Sat: Santa Train :)

Sun: 16k: 1:16:38 @4:47/km

Original plan was to do a progressive 26k Long Run but was pretty wrecked from previous day's adventures and also had the two mouth ulcers from hell. So scaled it back and called it a day after 10 miles. Felt fine but didn't want to push things.

Weekly Total: 84k

Mon: 13k Easy: 1:06:37 @5:07/km

Tue: 16k Easy: 1:19:39 @4:58/km

Wed: 12k Easy: 1:00:04 @5:00/km

Thu: 12k Easy: 1:02:13 @5:11/km

Fri: 8k Steady: 37:31 @4:40/km

Really boring week here. Session on Wednesday got nixed, business @ home and work made getting out difficult so I'm pretty happy that I made it out the 5 days :)

12ks of Christmas Kildare: Race Report

I'd never gotten around to running this due to the general mental nature of this time of the year, but somehow, despite my wife being 39 weeks pregnant I got out for this one!

Plan was to run it hard, get a 10k PB and try and hold on for the extra 2k......

My training buddy came second in this last year in around 46 minutes. The course is hilly enough but I knew the roads and figured I had it in me to get in or around 46 minutes. Lap of the business park to begin, one chap was a cut above the rest of the field and he gradually started to disappear into the distance once we got out of the park. He won the Kildare Senior XC last week and won today in 41:15 :o

I was in about 6th place after the first 2km. 3:50's were my plan of action and I settled into a good pace. Steep enough drag round about 4km saw me pass out the 4 runners in front of me and for the first time on a race I actually found myself 'racing!! Felt really strong on the hills today and I definitely put a good bit of time into the guys in and around me on the uphill stretches. Kept it going to the end, went through 10k in about 37:52 (a 1min PB), lost about 15/20 seconds at least in the last km when the 12k route merged with the 6k race and the road was very congested with walkers and cars (came to a complete stop at one stage) but I had about a 50 or 60 second gap to 3rd. Finished up in 46:07 and 2nd place!! Got a nice plaque and a prize, wonders never cease ;)

Nice way to finish the year race wise. Race was really well organised and a great atmosphere to boot. The 10k split was nice and I reckon I can have a rattle off that next time out too. What running lies in wait for me over the next couple of weeks in not sure, but I'll be in a good place to start Rotterdam block in January.

Result: 46:07 @3:51/km :)

Well done on the podium finish, nice Christmas present.

Well....Erin Healy has arrived safe and sound in the early hours of this morning and is doing great. Daddy got turfed out of the ward for a couple of hours at 7am and even got a 10miler in.....A great day :) where the running goes in the next few days is up in the air, but who cares :) floated around the city this morning!!

Mon: 10.1k: 52.22 @5:11/km Easy run on the plains, had missed yesterday so legs were a little tender after Saturday's efforts

Tue: 10.45k: 50:37 @4:51/km Back to the plains, wasn't sure where the next run was coming from since we were headed to the Coombe for 6am the next day....

Wed: 14.1k: 1:06:14 @4:42/km Settled in the Coombe and as I had to make myself scarce during lunch time,I nipped down to the Phoenix Park and back. A nervous but enjoyable run.....

Thu: 16.1k: 1:18:48 @4:54/km Elated, tired, emotional and with probably too much Red Bull in my system I headed down to the Canal from the Coombe and up into Ringsend/Irishtown direction and back. Maybe my most enjoyable run ever :) great days

Congratulations to you & the missus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well....Erin Healy has arrived safe and sound in the early hours of this morning and is doing great. Daddy got turfed out of the ward for a couple of hours at 7am and even got a 10miler in.....A great day :) where the running goes in the next few days is up in the air, but who cares :) floated around the city this morning!!

Mon: 10.1k: 52.22 @5:11/km Easy run on the plains, had missed yesterday so legs were a little tender after Saturday's efforts

Tue: 10.45k: 50:37 @4:51/km Back to the plains, wasn't sure where the next run was coming from since we were headed to the Coombe for 6am the next day....

Wed: 14.1k: 1:06:14 @4:42/km Settled in the Coombe and as I had to make myself scarce during lunch time,I nipped down to the Phoenix Park and back. A nervous but enjoyable run.....

Thu: 16.1k: 1:18:48 @4:54/km Elated, tired, emotional and with probably too much Red Bull in my system I headed down to the Canal from the Coombe and up into Ringsend/Irishtown direction and back. Maybe my most enjoyable run ever :) great days

Lovely news, congratulations. Hang on to that feeling. It will get you through the nights ahead. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your OH :)

Conragatulations to you all. A nice early Christmas present.

Great news. Congrats. Nothing quite like it.

• Advertisement

Congrats, that's your running career on hold so :)

Best gift you can give kids is time and encouragement

Best of luck

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats and best of luck with the new arrival. Christmas is taken care of :D

So a little update here. Erin Healy it turns out is a wonder baby, who hasn't given her Mammy or Daddy a seconds trouble since her arrival :) so little trouble that my wife ushered me out the door Sat night when our two boyo's had been put to bed to have a couple of drinks with my friends who were out their annual Christmas night out......
    Unfortunately, whilst walking home just before 12, I got attacked from behind, knocked unconscious and relieved of my wallet and phone. A chap from the local Athletics Club, what were the chances!, came upon me in a blood covered heap on the pavement and to my eternal gratitude, got me home in one piece. A night in A&E, but somehow managed to leave with only cuts to my head (a lot of them), a massive shiner and some other bumps and bruises.
    It would set you back I'm not going to lie, but you have to look at the positives e.g. I'm still here, no lasting damage done, and I have a little bundle of joy at home in my already beautiful family.....Gonna make a return to the roads tonight or tomorrow and see how I'm feeling. Stay safe out there folks.

Sorry to hear that Healy, some right scum out there!!! Great to hear all is well with the new bundle of joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh stop, am so sorry to hear that after reading about the wonderful arrival of Erin.

I hope you are ok.

That's really desperate. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Oh sweet lord, that's shocking. I'm glad you are ok but take care now and don't rush the return to running, the shock alone would take some time to recover from.

• Advertisement

Ah ffs that's desperate. Take it handy, and on the other hand don't let it put you off.

Sickening but fair play on the positive attitude

Thanks for the well wishes folks. Made it out yesterday for a gallop, everything seemed to be working as before, but I have some very observant people keeping an eye on me so if it's not feeling right I'll back off...... I've decided that the week off will actually do me some good :) Will tip away until New Year, Marathon block starts Jan 1st :)

Holy sh!t man, recover well. Take it very easy... for the next few days at least :) Enjoy your expanded family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh no, sorry to hear about the bad stuff, recover well. Congrats on the new arrival!

• Advertisement
Advertisement