Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Gym membership given by GP as an incentive for patients to lose weight/get fit ?

Options
  • 22-09-2016 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to run this past you lot , how would you feel about people getting a year (at minimum) free Gym membership to their local gym prescribed by their GP if the GP says your BMI is too high and to help cure/relieve problems with patience caused by their weight/fitness level for things like diabetes and weight on joints and heart strain ect all affected by weight?

Would this be cheaper for the HSE in the long run rather than how much it costs treating overweight people?

Was just thinking about it today. Fair enough doctors will suggest running/walking in the open air but if patients got free gym membership you would have the added benefits of a trainer in the gym giving you advice, and if you keel over from a heart attack in a gym due to exercising presumably there will be a defibrillator there and staff knowing how to give first aid and mouth to mouth resuscitation plus the machines like treadmills and all that measure your pulse and heart rate but if your running on the path by the river or on a road you havent got any of that.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Would this be cheaper for the HSE in the long run rather than how much it costs treating overweight people?

Most people go to the gym for 3 months then stop and go back to how they were. If losig weight is the goal (as opposed to general fitness) diet is far more important than exercise.

But sure, lets waste more taxpayers money on people who dont want to help themselves. We can probably kick a few more cancer patients onto trollies or longer waiting lists instead. And of course the HSE will need 50 extra staff to administer the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Most people go to the gym for 3 months then stop and go back to how they were. If losig weight is the goal (as opposed to general fitness) diet is far more important than exercise.

But sure, lets waste more taxpayers money on people who dont want to help themselves. We can probably kick a few more cancer patients onto trollies or longer waiting lists instead. And of course the HSE will need 50 extra staff to administer the scheme.

dont loosing weight and fitness go hand in hand? - ie if your loosing weight your getting fitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually exercise (run and some other stuff) and still find gym as appealing as continually poking myself into the eye. And it's easy to quit something that is free. So I wouldn't hold my breath. Walking clubs and similar would be cheaper, more enjoyable and easier to stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This is a short-sighted venture because a lot of people who badly need to lose weight wouldn't be caught dead in a gym; not because they don't want it, or because they're weak, lazy arseholes who prefer eating, but because lots of weight carries with it lots of shame and embarrassment, and it's very frightening to imagine being a blimp in a gym.

Those who do go regardless of their weight, fair play, but those who don't shouldn't be judged. Plus, tackling their nutrition is infinitely more important than exercise if we're talking about mass weight loss in the first couple of months I think.

I personally most probably got the wrong mindset here but personally if i had to buy gym membership I would never get round to (or afford) to get membership, but if my GP 'prescribed' it to me I think I would go for it and use it rather than going out walking or exercising in them ways ... mind you i say that now, maybe if it were put into action I might be one of these people that get fed up and give it up after 3 months. I dunno really. - I'd like the idea of being able to get advice of the staff in the gym though of what machines to go on and what setting and what machines help loose weight the best. I find going out for walks boring sometimes and more of a chore , but going to a gym and trying out all the equipment in and having air conditioning and watching TV whilst exercising and having a nice power shower afterwards and using the pool sometimes would be more appealing to me personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Certainly won't cure the problem ,

If a person isn't actually motivated to want to loose weight or ready to deal with issues as to why there over eating ,junk food diets and other mental health issues prescriptions gym memberships isn't going to solve any problems short to longer term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Just want to run this past you lot , how would you feel about people getting a year (at minimum) free Gym membership to their local gym prescribed by their GP if the GP says your BMI is too high and to help cure/relieve problems with patience caused by their weight/fitness level for things like diabetes and weight on joints and heart strain ect all affected by weight?

Was just thinking about it today. Fair enough doctors will suggest running/walking in the open air but if patients got free gym membership you would have the added benefits of a trainer in the gym giving you advice, and if you keel over from a heart attack in a gym due to exercising presumably there will be a defibrillator there and staff knowing how to give first aid and mouth to mouth resuscitation plus the machines like treadmills and all that measure your pulse and heart rate but if your running on the path by the river or on a road you havent got any of that.

This is total nonsense.

It suggests that people can continue to eat whatever they like, as long as they work off the calories in the gym.

It is actually much easier to 'go to the gym' when one never went before, than it is to change what you eat.

In other words, going on a cycle of eating calories and then burning them off in the gym is a very foolish naive strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Give me a summer in the bog with you Andy, you'll never think of a gym again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Give me a summer in the bog with you Andy, you'll never think of a gym again

That sounds sooooo wrong.

dont loosing weight and fitness go hand in hand? - ie if your loosing weight your getting fitter?

If I was at a lose end, with nothing to loose, I'd go for it.

• Advertisement

Of course the full package/ goal is to eat properly and exercise to get the weight off but surely a gym membership is a start, better than nothing. I wonder when doctor's say to their patients "you must start going out walking/jogging" how many of them really do?

- maybe on prescription then as well the doctor's should dish out some free vouchers for some healthy, tasty low calorie, high protein ready made meals to go along with the gym membership ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm 17 stone and a bit, I walk 30 - 40 miles a week, I swim 5k a week, I play football once a week, I'm officially Obese, but I'd lash most people here off the park for fitness, don't imagine that fitness has anything to do with being skinny or weight

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I like gyms and all, but just having access to one isn't a push factor. I have free gym access at University and despite the crowds its accessible enough and accommodating enough, I just don't go often.

If you want a scheme to promote weight loss you need to incentivise actual improvements.

The best method is education frankly. I had a PT one time relate blood flow, water intake, and muscle growth to me and I'd say that had more impact than "run, fatty"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People with high BMIs know their BMI is unhealthy, it's not like they need a dr to run a multitude of tests for the diagnosis. Therefore, it's their responsibility to remedy it. It should not cost everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Of course the full package/ goal is to eat properly and exercise to get the weight off but surely a gym membership is a start, better than nothing. I wonder when doctor's say to their patients "you must start going out walking/jogging" how many of them really do?

- maybe on prescription then as well the doctor's should dish out some free vouchers for some healthy, tasty low calorie, high protein ready made meals to go along with the gym membership ;)

Why do I get the feeling in every single one of your threads that you're pulling our leg Andy? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The amount of people saying "loose" instead of "lose". Jesus.

Anyway, I disagree that someone would be more inclined to go to the gym if it was free.
    I think you're more likely to keep going if you know you've paid good money for it.

I also disagree that you don't see a lot of overweight people in the gym because they're embarrassed; I see a lot in my gym.
    Nobody is looking at them, nobody is judging them, everyone is there to concentrate on their own work-outs.

I really don't know why people think others are looking at them. We're all there to do our own thing and don't have time to sit there gawping at someone else.

I don't think giving patients a year's membership will do anything unless they actually want to lose weight.

Something has to click in your head that you really want to do this and stick with it.
    It's like quitting cigarettes. People can
    tell you all day long how bad they are for you and you should quit, but you'll only succeed when YOU want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

fussyonion wrote: »

Anyway, I disagree that someone would be more inclined to go to the gym if it was free.
    I think you're more likely to keep going if you know you've paid good money for it.

I also disagree that you don't see a lot of overweight people in the gym because they're embarrassed; I see a lot in my gym.
    Nobody is looking at them, nobody is judging them, everyone is there to concentrate on their own work-outs.

I really don't know why people think others are looking at them. We're all there to do our own thing and don't have time to sit there gawping at someone else.

I don't think giving patients a year's membership will do anything unless they actually want to lose weight.

Something has to click in your head that you really want to do this and stick with it.
    It's like quitting cigarettes. People can
    tell you all day long how bad they are for you and you should quit, but you'll only succeed when YOU want to.
    Well I understand that obese people might think people are looking at them and judging. I know obese people who took up running, they would get stuff shouted at them from people in cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Eh, I wouldn't agree with that. Just look at what that playgirl did in America.

There are fcukwits everywhere, and the gym certainly has its share.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I joined a gym in February, paid e199 for the year. I go 5 times a week so approx. 80c a go. Hardly prohibitive if someone really wants to go, buy a couple less packs of biscuits or a pint or two

I was nearly 20st when I started and am now 16.5st so am allow slag

Gyms make more money off the ones that don't go, it's like insurance. Lots pay in but only some take out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's naive to think there aren't a certain number of people in every gym whose main purpose is to ogle hotties and snigger at fatties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I'd say the rate of consistent gym use over time is low. Prescribing it is all well and good but it won't work because 99% of people won't stick at it for any meaningful length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not a bad idea op but we need to approach our obesity problems from multiple angels. The bike to work has been a huge success, maybe we can incentify other sporting activities? Educating our kids is a must, and we need to start putting the squeeze on the food and marketing industries

Most people go to the gym for 3 months then stop and go back to how they were. ....

Maybe the GP could issue free 3month Gym membership (if presuming Gym's offer 3 months membership) or per 6 months and if people are not using the gyms then GP's an cancel the membership and not renew it, but for people who do take it up, are using it and getting fitter/loosing weight and benefit due to it then go back to GP to get the membership renewed

People with high BMIs know their BMI is unhealthy, it's not like they need a dr to run a multitude of tests for the diagnosis. Therefore, it's their responsibility to remedy it. It should not cost everyone else.

obesity and overweight related afflictions and disease with patients in the HSE is already costing everyone else - i think its time to offer incentive of free Gym membership (and free entry to swimming pool if GP's think swimming will help get weight off someone) maybe ... if it was a cheaper alternative to the HSE than doing say operations on obese people or devoting finances in other ways to get patients fit/active/loose weight - I dunno maybe it wouldnt be, maybe giving people free passes to gyms and gym equipment maybe would work out dearer alternative , I dunno i havent done the figures - i am pretty sure somewhere on the net out there are figures of how much obese people/people who dont exercise are costing the health service/tax payer.

sorry I am offender - anyway you know what me and people like me that cant spell or use proper grammar are going on about so that's the main thing at the end of the day .. innit! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only person benefiting from that kind of setup is the shareholder of the gym who gets easy money from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It'll make gym owners fatter anyway.

Well I understand that obese people might think people are looking at them and judging. I know obese people who took up running, they would get stuff shouted at them from people in cars.

strangely enough (but then again I am strange) i think I would feel less concious and embarrassed working out in a gym than running on the side of the road for everyone to see my fatty stomach wobble... but then again I have never ever set a foot in a gym in my life - maybe if I had the chance it would be different story.

I dare say I would be conscious that people (especially thin fit ones) are looking at me but then that would be my insecurities that cause that, as others have said they might not be looking at me at all but its all in my head that I think they are looking, and I (and people like me) would have to just overcome that hurdle and think 'so what! - let em look'

I personally think I would be more likely to put more effort and work up a sweat in a Gym rather than walking/running at side of the road or through a park, i think f I would take up running I would get fed up and end up walking and the temptation to go back home (especially if it starts raining :) ) - if i were in a Gym i think I would love to try out the treadmills and exercise bikes and rowing machines and that lot with air conditioning to cool me down and setting the electronic things to time me and so i can see how many calories im burning/burnt and ask the staff what machines are more effective in getting rid of my fat on certain parts of my body, and the added security if I collapse of heart attack I someone can call ambulance for me and i'm not just lying in a gutter somewhere or slouched on a park bench waiting to be seen to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No. Ridiculous idea.

If you want the HSE to invest anything in this area, their money would be better off being spent on updating GPs' woefully outdated knowledge of nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

I personally most probably got the wrong mindset here but personally if i had to buy gym membership I would never get round to (or afford) to get membership, but if my GP 'prescribed' it to me I think I would go for it and use it rather than going out walking or exercising in them ways ... mind you i say that now, maybe if it were put into action I might be one of these people that get fed up and give it up after 3 months. I dunno really. - I'd like the idea of being able to get advice of the staff in the gym though of what machines to go on and what setting and what machines help loose weight the best. I find going out for walks boring sometimes and more of a chore , but going to a gym and trying out all the equipment in and having air conditioning and watching TV whilst exercising and having a nice power shower afterwards and using the pool sometimes would be more appealing to me personally

Great idea. I'd like the taxpayer to pay for the above for me too.

Diet Nutrition and lifestyle do more for losing weight than gyms. Your title was specifically on losing weight not having a free spa.

Advertisement