Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Gym membership given by GP as an incentive for patients to lose weight/get fit ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Lucyfur wrote: »

anyway, nothing less than the place in ballisadare - that place looks nice (sounds nice from what I hear) , havent been in there,

other than that maybe Sligo Park Hotel on the Pearse Road.

typical, have just seen the prices on the site and as expected the one i would like to go for is 50euro per month - Unlimited Gym & Swim any time

your 31.50 you cited is only Gym or Swim off peak only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Bull****. There's degrees of knowledge and complexity involved in everything. Learning to be an engineer requires years of teaching and (important piece here) self study. Learning takeaways every night of the week is unhealthy does not require paid ( by someone else's money apparently) tutorage. It requires a few TV adds and if still that stupid, Google.

People know full well how to lose weight and if they don't there's ways to find out without getting handed a check. If they don't know in this day and age they haven't tried. It's an excuse for laziness. And giving a lazy person a free gym pass won't change their lazines. Why should I have to pay for the gym when others won't? The level of entitlement in this country is insane. I'm fed up with all these 'pay people to do what the **** they should already be doing' attitude.

These people know full well what is and isn't healthy and they have all the opportunity they need to exercise. Through laziness they chose not to do anything. Giving them free gym or cooking lessons won't change them and they will be just as much a burden on the health system down the line. The difference is we would have thrown good money after bad. It simply wouldn't work.

People don't know how to lose weight. That's demonstrably true in that there's lots of people out there that would badly like to lose weight but can't. If you've never so much as boiled an egg in your life, it's going to be very hard to suddenly start planning, preparing and making 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.
    People also don't know the difference between healthy food and unhealthy food. As you said, there's degrees of knowledge and complexity involved in everything. If you've been overweight and eating badly your whole life, you're probably going to have a myriad of related health problems that have special dietary restrictions (e.g. T2 diabetes, heart disease, etc). Considering even expert opinion on nutrition is constantly in flux (are eggs/butter/fats good or bad?) it's extremely naive to assume the average person could navigate these pitfalls.
    And this is before we start talking about physiological variations between people; both natural and as a result of diet/lifestyle. Some people can go the whole day without eating and never feel hungry. Other people can't go more than half an hour. How do we get the half-hour people to a stage where they can go breakfast-to-lunch without a snack? Telling them to "just do it" won't get too far. If they could do that, they probably wouldn't have ended up in the situation they're in.

Anyway, this is just a thought experiment by Andy and we've slightly gone off-topic. My point is that we're already "paying" for people in poor health so it makes sense to try and treat the cause of the problem and not just the symptoms.

@Andy: If you can't swim why do you require a pool in your gym membership? Swimming might be an excellent form of exercise, but splashing around in water isn't. Unless you have a medical condition that requires very very low impact activity or are extremely overweight, it's a waste of time. Is your physio really recommending that you walk up and down a pool as a serious form of exercise? Obviously take the word of a professional over the advice of a stranger on the internet, but I find it hard to believe that there's benefit to this (again unless it's to treat something specific).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

typical, have just seen the prices on the site and as expected the one i would like to go for is €50 per month - Unlimited Gym & Swim any time

your 31.50 you cited is only Gym or Swim off peak only :(

So, you want premium service for budget prices?

Gerroutta dat Andy. Save up some money if you want to use the gym. Sort your diet out if you want to lose weight. Learn some personal responsibility. Stop suggesting the government do everything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Government should not be paying for people's gym membership just because a doctor suggests it. A doctor may suggest an antibiotic for an infection but that doesn't mean the HSE will pick up the tab for that antibiotic. GPs in the UK are getting exercise prescription pads to advise people on what they should be doing each week. That's a path to go down- guiding the patient but beyond that, it's only themselves that can get off the couch and into a gym or a park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ah right - so you reckon no benefit whatsoever to get people fit and help lose weight (note I say 'help') - and thats your last view on the matter

- we just carry on as we are then - the fatties draining the health service of resources , and the smokers draining the heath service then ...
    Even if there was a free gym on every street corner, the same number of people who go to the gym now would continue attending the gym, and all the fatties would continue looking at them and telling themselves that they really should go some day.

The entire world is a free gym; just get out and walk or run.

Yet you're not using it.

....@Andy: If you can't swim why do you require a pool in your gym membership? Swimming might be an excellent form of exercise, but splashing around in water isn't. Unless you have a medical condition that requires very very low impact activity or are extremely overweight, it's a waste of time. Is your physio really recommending that you walk up and down a pool as a serious form of exercise? Obviously take the word of a professional over the advice of a stranger on the internet, but I find it hard to believe that there's benefit to this (again unless it's to treat something specific).

I'm pretty sure that's what he told me. The other day I have 2 prolapsed discs in my back and he said to me do you go swimming? And I said I can't swim but I am almost certain he said you don't need to swim just walking against the pressure of the water in the swimming pool will help build up the muscles and help the discs. I suppose if he thinks it should help I suppose I should try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

If the government is handing out free gym memberships to chubbers I'll have to start having two pizzas and week and washing it down with ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I'm pretty sure that's what he told me. The other day I have 2 prolapsed discs in my back and he said to me do you go swimming? And I said I can't swim but I am almost certain he said you don't need to swim just walking against the pressure of the water in the swimming pool will help build up the muscles and help the discs. I suppose if he thinks it should help I suppose I should try it

Ah. That makes more sense. I thought it was just for general exercise or weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

The only reason people are overweight is because of a bad diet. Giving them a gym membership wont help.

If they're two lazy to bother cooking food then you better believe their fat ass is too lazy to go to the gym.

How do people not know by 2016. That you can be of a resonable weight by just adjusting your diet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Piggystardust

dont loosing weight and fitness go hand in hand? - ie if your loosing weight your getting fitter?

Of course not. That's like saying slim = healthy. Anorexics lose weight dramatically, does that mean they're fit?!!

So, you want premium service for budget prices?

naw, i just believe if I need membership I would benefit from both Gym and use of swimming pool and in peak times as well ... and of course that costs more, not my fault - I would be using it not for recreation lifestyle like some people have a membership for I would be using it for medical reasons

Ah. That makes more sense. I thought it was just for general exercise or weight loss.

no, but I suppose the added benefit/plus would be that I would also be getting some extra exercise and a little bit of weight loss as well at the same time so cannot be a bad thing?

Shame I cannot get the hang of swimming really as it really most probably really help me with my back and is a great form of exercising and it has the less impact on joints ect hasnt it as the water takes the weight and gives all your muscles a workout?

empacher wrote: »
    The only reason people are overweight is because of a bad diet. Giving them a gym membership wont help.

If they're two lazy to bother cooking food then you better believe their fat ass is too lazy to go to the gym.

How do people not know by 2016. That you can be of a resonable weight by just adjusting your diet.

I think if some people were to start going to the gm it might kick starting them to change their diet - well I would like to think it would with me. I mean when your exercising the last thing you would want is any heavy meals , you would be bringing them up!! :eek:

Of course not. That's like saying slim = healthy. Anorexics lose weight dramatically, does that mean they're fit?!!

no, its not like saying that :rolleyes: - im saying it like it is , loosing a few pounds (and not going over the top) has got to be fitter as well for you and increase your level of fitness. I bet it has a greater effect on things like strain on your heart if you loose a few ponds or stone gradually?

If the government is handing out free gym memberships to chubbers I'll have to start having two pizzas and week and washing it down with ice cream

are the government still handing out things like free fertility treatment and gastric bypasses? - what will you have now? :)

empacher wrote: »

I am no expert (far from it) but even I know that sounds like BS

No, giving free membership to someone who wont use it wont help... your damn right there ..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Buy a watch that tells how many steps you have walked, your heart rate, calories burned, how often you are active/inactive, how far you have walked/run, how much sleep etc...
    I have a fitbit watch, as I like to keep count of things, have never being to a gym, 155lbs/70KG weight, 5'11''/180cm in height, but the most important thing is I am very aware of what I put into my body, and it all starts from there.
    I just walk and have a few things at home for some resistance exercises, don't see a need to use a gym.
    I also do short 30 second sprints which cost zero, sprint as hard as you can, but very good for you.

No one needs a gym to get fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I will disagree with you here. Swimming can put a lot of pressure on the lower back, the resistance of the water against the legs as you kick. Lower to middle back pain usually responds better to glute and quad strengthening. A good trainer for a few sessions can make a huge difference.
    I spent 20 minutes for 3 weeks every day barr Sunday getting a basic strength back into my left glute to combat hip and lower back pain caused by nerve and muscle damage.
    This was just to stop a limp. Then I got a basic strength program to bring me up to basic training level. This was in conjunction with my physio who every week monitored my progress and gave a few exercises to be included in the program and what should be dropped.
    This was solely to get me walking properly.
    I will never run again.
    When I stopped the gym I hurt.
    You have to weigh up your priorities, it's either a bottle of wine for a few weeks or a decent bit of training to set you up for the years ahead.
    I know which I'd choose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Hammer89 wrote: »
    This is a short-sighted venture because a lot of people who badly need to lose weight wouldn't be caught dead in a gym; not because they don't want it, or because they're weak, lazy arseholes who prefer eating, but because lots of weight carries with it lots of shame and embarrassment, and it's very frightening to imagine being a blimp in a gym. .

I was nodding along to your post, yeah that's exactly it, that's what it feels like, he's bang on...wait did he just call me a blimp? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You don't need a gym to exercise and you don't need to exercise to lose weight.

It's like asking if we should give free meat to vegans. Vegans aren't avoiding meat because its too costly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Bibliophobes don't go to libraries even though they are free.

People who don't go to the gym probably wouldn't go if you paid them, let alone if it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You don't need a gym to lose weight. Invest in a pair of good trainers and walk or run the roads.

HensVassal wrote: »
    Bibliophobes don't go to libraries even though they are free.

People who don't go to the gym probably wouldn't go if you paid them, let alone if it was free.

hmmm, now theres an incentive idea I hadnt thought of .... pay people to go to the gym! :D - I like it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gatling wrote: »
    Certainly won't cure the problem ,

If a person isn't actually motivated to want to loose weight or ready to deal with issues as to why there over eating ,junk food diets and other mental health issues prescriptions gym memberships isn't going to solve any problems short to longer term

There might be a few that stick with it and enjoy going after a while. But you are right most will not bother with at all/properly because it takes commitment and motivation. Two key ingredients that problem cases do not have.

Is it worth it if a very limited amount of people end up going to the gym? I am not sure.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You don't need a gym to lose weight. Invest in a pair of good trainers and walk or run the roads.

if you read a little up through the threads you will read why some people dont like running the roads - they get abuse hurled at them and are ridiculed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

You don't need a gym to exercise and you don't need to exercise to lose weight.

While I agree with the sentiment here, its very difficult to motivate yourself if you don't know what you're doing.
    People get injured doing stuff their bodies are not physically able for and will give up after a few weeks. If it was easy, there'd be no need for trainers, personal or otherwise.
    Also with eating habits, without research or motivation it's very difficult to lose weight. While in theory it's simple, we all know input less output more, putting it in to practice fast after day for months and months is not easy. Specially when you've been 'good' all week but you cant physically see a difference. Most people give up.
    Look at January for instance.. gung ho on the 1st ... Couldn't be arSed by the 15th! :)

Again, depending on how overweight or what injuries you carry, this could do more damage than good, especially back injuries. Impact on joints from goad running can cripple you.
    Most people don't know where to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

if you read a little up through the threads you will read why some people dont like running the roads - they get abuse hurled at them and are ridiculed ...

No they don't.
    I ran for years, multiple times a week, and in all that time probably got stuff shouted at me maybe 2-3 times. And I was all kinds of sizes throughout.

**** happens, get out and lose the weight, and don't expect the state to incentivise you to do something like you would with training a dog :rolleyes:

cbyrd wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment here, its very difficult to motivate yourself if you don't know what you're doing.
    People get injured doing stuff their bodies are not physically able for and will give up after a few weeks. If it was easy, there'd be no need for trainers, personal or otherwise.
    Also with eating habits, without research or motivation it's very difficult to lose weight. While in theory it's simple, we all know input less output more, putting it in to practice fast after day for months and months is not easy. Specially when you've been 'good' all week but you cant physically see a difference. Most people give up.
    Look at January for instance.. gung ho on the 1st ... Couldn't be arSed by the 15th! :)

Again, depending on how overweight or what injuries you carry, this could do more damage than good, especially back injuries. Impact on joints from goad running can cripple you.
    Most people don't know where to start..

Im a bit like that , need someone to tell me/teach me - so even if I went to Gym I would have to have a member of staff/trainer tell me what machines to go on and for how long ... and really even set up the parameters of the machine there for me like the time, resistance, incline or whatever it is. I haven got a clue.

As for research - I will do a lot of research on the net for stuff I am really interested in but i know there is a lot of stuff most probably on nutrition and diets and what has calories... but I am not interested in it and have a short attention span when I come across something I am not interested in or havent the interest to find out.

I dont really even know if I would have/keep up interest in going to gym either, i dunno I would like the chance and see how I got on - who knows, at the moment me personally I like the Idea at the moment but maybe I would get bored with it or get bored - thats one of the things putting me off getting a treadmill or exercise bike (would prefer treadmill personally) but one half of me wants to get one even if I could afford a decent one and i think that would be cool to have one of them in the house , and then the other half of me is like what if i end up not using it, it will just end up an expensive ornament getting in the way. - but at least with going to gym havent outlaid any money outright on the equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Just want to run this past you lot , how would you feel about people getting a year (at minimum) free Gym membership to their local gym prescribed by their GP

Would this be cheaper for the HSE in the long run rather than how much it costs treating overweight people?

not sure if its been posted yet but this is available via the HSE, as well as support from a dietian.

a friend or mine and her mother were both refered to the maradyke gym in cork, the mother under the supervision of a trainer and her cardio specialist, my friend after her gastic band.

Advertisement