Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - 4 Franziskaner for €6

• 19-07-2016 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Larry Bee

Hi folks,

Not as good a deal as before - hence the new thread title, but still good. 4 bottles of Franziskaner for €6. Regular bottles increased in price a while ago from €1.79 to €1.99.

Seen in Wexford a while ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Is that a permanent price drop, do you think? Doesn't look like an offer and don't see any expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Must check my 'local' lidl. Thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Not as a good a deal as before but at €1.50 per bottle I for one will still be stocking up.

I'd say they realised that €5 for 4 bottles was just insane.

• Moderators Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Spocker

Offer is still valid, just picked up a box in Lidl Cork Road in Waterford, and plenty of stock left on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭Barr

It doesn't look like an offer , it seems that is the price now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, it's gone up from 1.79 to 1.99 but is on offer until close biz Sunday at 4 for €6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

vicwatson wrote: »
    No, it's gone up from 1.79 to 1.99 but is on offer until close biz Sunday at 4 for €6

Didn't notice this, went to cash register today to be presented with a total based on 1.99 per bottle. Pointed out the 4 for €6 deal and after collecting the sign she pointed out that the offer was expired but I could avail of it as they should have taken the sign down. This is gonna taste like the nectar of the gods!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

damian139 wrote: »
    Didn't notice this, went to cash register today to be presented with a total based on 1.99 per bottle. Pointed out the 4 for €6 deal and after collecting the sign she pointed out that the offer was expired but I could avail of it as they should have taken the sign down. This is gonna taste like the nectar of the gods!!

The gods have blessed you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well lads, is it a nice beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭sceach16

Pangea wrote: »

I reckon it is the best value/quality beer ratio on regular offer. Paradise was when it was 4 for 5e and 10e off for 50e. It is stll excellent value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,199 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yeah it's good.

Prefer the Paulener personally but not much between them

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Deal is on again lads

• Nice beer and price, and even though it's 5% 4 won't leave you mouldy the next day if you're having them on a week night :pac:

Source = Me having some last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Doge

Fell in love with the stuff after a recent trip to Bavaria.
    No hangover whatsoever the next day.

I then tried drinking Paulaner on tap and bottles of Erdinger 2 weekends ago in Cork and ended up puking my guts up the next day.

Will be sticking to this in future!

Thanks OPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When is this on offer till nyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Doge wrote: »
    Fell in love with the stuff after a recent trip to Bavaria.
    No hangover whatsoever the next day.

I then tried drinking Paulaner on tap and bottles of Erdinger 2 weekends ago in Cork and ended up puking my guts up the next day.

Will be sticking to this in future!

Thanks OPs.

Paulaner on tap here in Ireland from my experience is crap, Irish bars just don't get wheat beers. Tip, if they pour a wheat beer 1) Into a normal pint glass or/and 2) Without wetting the tall glass before pouring, they don't have a clue. Your pint could have been treated bad! Paulaner is the best tasting wheat beer IMO, but only from a bottle that's been in a fridge for at least 24 hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭prodsc

vicwatson wrote: »
    When is this on offer till nyone know?

25/09

• Registered Users Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Doge

Paulaner on tap here in Ireland from my experience is crap, Irish bars just don't get wheat beers. Tip, if they pour a wheat beer 1) Into a normal pint glass or/and 2) Without wetting the tall glass before pouring, they don't have a clue. Your pint could have been treated bad! Paulaner is the best tasting wheat beer IMO, but only from a bottle that's been in a fridge for at least 24 hours..

Cheers for the info, im pretty sure it was in some kind of Paulaner branded larger glass, it didnt have the thinner base like the Weisbeer glasses I brought back from Munich.

All my Munich buddies seem to prefer the Franziskaner over both Paulaner and Erdinger though, Ill give the Paulaner bottle a go sometime but id say it would be hard to beat the Franzikaner in my case.

Managed to pick up a box of 12 today anyway, there was only one box left on the shelf after that so i was lucky unless they had more in the back.

Nice beer and price, and even though it's 5% 4 won't leave you mouldy the next day if you're having them on a week night :pac:

Source = Me having some last night :)

it's certainly not the worst for producing a bit of a head on you the next day but wouldn't say it's the least offending either imo. for a strong beer Tyskie (5.5%) is pretty clean on the ceann. Tyskie is never on offer ever though that I've seen. 1.65 a bottle in Lidl or Tesco is worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I agree. Have to wet the glass first. Also, if there are no Paulaner glasses they tend to use a Tiger glass and it makes the beer flat. Old fashioned Guinness glass is the best substitute in my opinion. Was in Munich recently and tried a few different beers. Augustiner Helles is a beautiful beer, hard to get but I know O Brien's Navan do it

• Advertisement

• glasso wrote: »
    it's certainly not the worst for producing a bit of a head on you the next day but wouldn't say it's the least offending either imo. for a strong beer Tyskie (5.5%) is pretty clean on the ceann. Tyskie is never on offer ever though that I've seen. 1.65 a bottle in Lidl or Tesco is worth it though.

Haven't seen it in bottles at all actually, though our local centra does have 4 cans of Tyskie for 5.50. Cans are 5% though so theres clearly a difference between can and bottle there? :confused:

I could happily enjoy 4 of those cans cold and not worry about next morning. Which is the last thing you want if you'd have a rare night off from the wee one and getting her handed back from Nana and Granddad next moring :D

Haven't seen it in bottles at all actually, though our local centra does have 4 cans of Tyskie for 5.50. Cans are 5% though so theres clearly a difference between can and bottle there? :confused:

I could happily enjoy 4 of those cans cold and not worry about next morning. Which is the last thing you want if you'd have a rare night off from the wee one and getting her handed back from Nana and Granddad next moring :D

Well it says 5.5 % on the bottle. I've never drank it out of a can. Imo it certainly doesnt taste 5.5%. Probably the same beer. Without the nasty can taste of course!

actually they have different products I see

tyskie-gronie - 5.5%. their flaghip beer as they say on their website
    http://www.en.kp.pl/our-beers/tyskie-gronie

tyskie-klasyczne - 5.0% - not the flagship beer
    http://www.en.kp.pl/our-beers/tyskie-klasyczne

both available in cans or bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't like it, and I would drink erdinger and paulaner. I have nothing against it or any reason to say I don't like it other than to give people a heads up. Maybe try a few before buying a rake of it. Most seem to like it so maybe I am the odd one out.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't like it, and I would drink erdinger and paulaner. I have nothing against it or any reason to say I don't like it other than to give people a heads up. Maybe try a few before buying a rake of it. Most seem to like it so maybe I am the odd one out.

Franziskaner has a distinctive banana-type taste going on - not for everyone but I like it for an occasional drink. If you're not into wheat beers in general you probably won't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,199 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Erdinger is beautiful. Not sure I ever see it on offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

glasso wrote: »
    Franziskaner has a distinctive banana-type taste going on - not for everyone but I like it for an occasional drink. If you're not into wheat beers in general you probably won't like it

Sorry never got the banana type flavour from Franziskaner. Would drink 2-3 in one sitting not many more as the taste is strong.

manster wrote: »
    Sorry never got the banana type flavour from Franziskaner. Would drink 2-3 in one sitting not many more as the taste is strong.

I'm not the only one :)

https://www.google.ie/search?q=franziskaner+banana&oq=Franziskaner+bana&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2.1742j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭droidman123

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Erdinger is beautiful. Not sure I ever see it on offer though.

Tesco were doing 4 for €9 last week,i dont know if the offer is still on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭sceach16

Tesco were doing 4 for €9 last week,i dont know if the offer is still on

Dunnes in Portmarnock had 4 for 10 last week. With their ongoing 20% back, works out at 2/bottle. Same for Paulaner

Advertisement