Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

This was my 7th E.P and the past few years I felt it had gone downhill big time. Skimping big time on dance acts, security being horrible etc.

Major improvements at this one over the last few E.Ps!

Main ones for me were:

1) Security were much sounder and pleasant this year.

2) Huge increase in the amount of dance music. Wasn't expecting as much. Almost as good as 2011 with Dave Clarke, Tensnake and kalkbrenner all in the one tent ;) Contained almost enough dance to be a "dance festival"

3) Traffic management seemed much better, arrived late this year so that might have made a difference too but was very organised and got pretty close to the gate.

4) Crowd were fairly sound all around.

If line up is decent would prob go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I agree on the security but I found the traffic management terrible. It seemed to be diverted down more small side roads than usual and we were backed up nearly all the way out to the motorway. You may have just arrived at a lucky time. At lunch time it was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    They must have been lying so on RTE & the organisers just decided not to print it in the official programme for the laugh.

Did they at least update the app though, because that would be a bit sh1t if they didn't do that.

Well here's one of the tracks you missed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

andreac wrote: »
    Got a price for 3 nights off the Killeshin, €660. Not too bad really. we paid €610 roughly for the 4 man Bellepad between 4 of us. They want payment upfront at time of booking though. Will wait and see how things go over the next few months before booking anything.

i haven't camped since 2012. hotels and b+b in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016

complete BS that hotels are booked out a year in advance. this year alone, i booked a hotel for Sunday night on the Friday! both the Maldron Portlaoise and Heritage Hotel both had rooms

2012 - stayed in b&b in carlow. can't rem price but got a long 30 min taxi every night. wasn't great, i always feel like you're staying in someones house in a b&b
    2014 - Maldron Portlaoise. bones of €700 for 3 nights. taxi to site and back was about 10 minutes, but then you've long walk in
    2015 - hotel in Portloaise
    2016 - Maldron again. Sunday night for €139

i never understood these podpads, for the price you pay you can get a hotel. though I understand people like being on site all weekend. i might do pinkmoon next year.

hotel availability changes ALL year. it'd be madness to book now. i'm really giving away my edge here but... input all the hotels on hotelroomalerts.com and you get emails when rooms become available at better prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Roscoe P Coltrane

Liking the rteco clip Niall, not like you to be using multi-camera format, stage access & rte branding in the top corner...your usual approach of middle of the crowd & now famous absinthe stagger is so much more of an EP experience- and what we all truly remember from the weekend!!
    As always, your blog was brilliant (always chuffed to get a mention!) It was great to catch up with you at the festival and on a dinal note, I made it to the caravan for your mad jam session that night with mandolin/mini guitar guy (cant remember his name at the mo) and it was the highlight of setup for me. Rock on EP 2017!

• Advertisement

Liking the rteco clip Niall, not like you to be using multi-camera format, stage access & rte branding in the top corner...your usual approach of middle of the crowd & now famous absinthe stagger is so much more of an EP experience- and what we all truly remember from the weekend!!
    As always, your blog was brilliant (always chuffed to get a mention!) It was great to catch up with you at the festival and on a dinal note, I made it to the caravan for your mad jam session that night with mandolin/mini guitar guy (cant remember his name at the mo) and it was the highlight of setup for me. Rock on EP 2017!

Twas a gas Roscoe P Coltrane to meet up with ya, Fergus Costello is the name of that dude. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

We lasted about 10 minutes at Jenny Greene.

I couldn't even be sure if the orchestra were playing the sound was so bad.

It was like she pressed play on a CD.

I read Una Mullally calling it "potential gig of the weekend" on Saturday morning and was hugely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great write up and videos bodhrandude! Some gigs there that I'm raging I didn't get to go to. The pre-festival week sounds like it's great craic on site in stradbally, must be a tough slog staying down there for the full week!

Got an email off pink moon today asking to fill out a feedback survey, only thing I would really say was that I hope they could arrange for some kind of car park next year or else arrange it so that ticket holders for PM can have access to the green car park. The walk from the red car park up to the very back of the pink moon (against all of the foot traffic coming the other way) nearly killed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Did they at least update the app though, because that would be a bit sh1t if they didn't do that.

Well here's one of the tracks you missed.

Ya the app is handy that way, they can make last minute changes to it.

Don't know why RTE only showed one song when they probably have the whole thing recorded. They chatted to Gavin James for about 15 f***ing mins.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ya the app is handy that way, they can make last minute changes to it.

Don't know why RTE only showed one song when they probably have the whole thing recorded. They chatted to Gavin James for about 15 f***ing mins.

Yeah found Gavin James to be super annoying on that but was scared to fast forward the player in case I triggered ads again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Northernsoul

I read Una Mullally calling it "potential gig of the weekend" on Saturday morning and was hugely confused.

This. THIS!
    I left 2 songs in, during Robert Miles Children, as I couldn't see any of the orchestra playing an actual instrument & it sounded exactly, EXACTLY, as if someone has pressed play on a CD. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This. THIS!
    I left 2 songs in, during Robert Miles Children, as I couldn't see any of the orchestra playing an actual instrument & it sounded exactly, EXACTLY, as if someone has pressed play on a CD. :/

The orchestra was obviously playing their instruments, but I'd be intrigued as to what exactly Jenny Greene's input was? After she pressed play for the backing beat, what else could she have been doing other than some serious knob twiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The orchestra was obviously playing their instruments, but I'd be intrigued as to what exactly Jenny Greene's input was? After she pressed play for the backing beat, what else could she have been doing other than some serious knob twiddling.

Busy taking credit?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Busy taking credit?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Oh thank God someone has said it!!

I was SO confused when I heard everyone at the picnic Saturday/ everyone on FB/ everyone on here saying how fantastic it was.

I left too.
    One of the worst gigs I've ever been to my entire life.
    Thought it was a fantastic idea and was really looking forward to it but I was left massively disappointed...

Myself and the husband were wondering the same. Presumed she had picked the set list? (and that was it?)

Massive amount of credit for choosing a load of really sh1te songs to be fair..

It had potential to be brilliant.

Myself and the husband were wondering the same. Presumed she had picked the set list? (and that was it?)
    I'm curious as to how that would even work.

"What about this one lads?"
    "Nah, can't play that one."
    "What about this one?"
    "Too difficult to play live."
    "This one?"
    "Yeah, that's fine."
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I'm curious as to how that would even work.

"What about this one lads?"
    "Nah, can't play that one."
    "What about this one?"
    "Too difficult to play live."
    "This one?"
    "Yeah, that's fine."
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

Brutal work. It'd be easier roughing it in a sweat shop!

My praise went to Kelly-Anne Byrne, she was the hardest working DJ at EP this year, she only got to see twenty minutes of LCD and had to go and play another set the poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I watched RTE's EP footage from the other night, Jenny Greene takes a serious amount credit for it !! McDermott complementing her throughout the show, at no point does she compliment the Orchestra or even say "Well I couldn't have done it with the help of......." not once!!
    Looking at the set-list, it's basically the greatest dance hits of the 00's (Volume 5 :))

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Looking at the set-list, it's basically the greatest dance hits of the 00's (Volume 5 :))

I said (pretty much) this on the night!! remarked that it sounded exceptionally close to one of the dance cds I heard my teenage cousins listening to a few years ago..

Other half plays in an Orchestra himself and was disappointed - like others have said, he thought it was like someone had clicked on a CD. Played the songs exactly as they were initially recorded, with no waver from the exact original. Complete replica. Was hoping for a small shred of originality/ genuine sound.

Looking at the feedback on Bestival, this seems to be their most unsuccessful year, they only sold 30,000 out of the 50,000 tickets and lots of people complaining about the line up and the cost cutting. it seems too there was a lot of corporate tents and stages there this year. It looks like Boomtown, End of the Road and Festival No 6 seems to be getting some of the former Bestival crowd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 littlegiraffe

I've got a spare 1-2 picnic discount code if anyone needs it! Managed to get a 3 picnic code off of a friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I've got a spare 1-2 picnic discount code if anyone needs it! Managed to get a 3 picnic code off of a friend!

You might want to stick that in the 2017 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 littlegiraffe

You might want to stick that in the 2017 thread.

Already have it in there! Just seeing if anyone around here wanted it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Looking at the feedback on Bestival, this seems to be their most unsuccessful year, they only sold 30,000 out of the 50,000 tickets and lots of people complaining about the line up and the cost cutting. it seems too there was a lot of corporate tents and stages there this year. It looks like Boomtown, End of the Road and Festival No 6 seems to be getting some of the former Bestival crowd too.

Yea seen pics of it over the weekend and it seems they really downsized , This was their main stage

14311283_10154423568705135_2966009428856025906_o.jpg

Sorry for asking this here - I know its an EP thread (but then Body & Soul is at EP....) I cant find any active threads on Body and Soul (June, Westmeath). Wanted to go this year but havent been before - when do tickets generally go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Sorry for asking this here - I know its an EP thread (but then Body & Soul is at EP....) I cant find any active threads on Body and Soul (June, Westmeath). Wanted to go this year but havent been before - when do tickets generally go on sale?

Username checks out

Why don't you start a Body & Soul 2017 thread, you won't really hear a murmur though till about the end of next February though. Normally the first to announce is Life Festival and then Body & Soul not long after that.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    Username checks out

Yeah. I'm going to have to TOTALLY take that one on the chin :D;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement