Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Why don't you start a Body & Soul 2017 thread, you won't really hear a murmur though till about the end of next February though. Normally the first to announce is Life Festival and then Body & Soul not long after that.

Ah! February? that makes sense. Was just wondering if there would be a massive panic re tickets but I think not.
    Might just do that re new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It was the middle of March last year when tickets for B+S went on sale. Fire a thread up there, would chat about it myself!

MJohnston wrote: »
    It was the middle of March last year when tickets for B+S went on sale. Fire a thread up there, would chat about it myself!

Excellent!
    have one up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Looking at the feedback on Bestival, this seems to be their most unsuccessful year, they only sold 30,000 out of the 50,000 tickets and lots of people complaining about the line up and the cost cutting. it seems too there was a lot of corporate tents and stages there this year. It looks like Boomtown, End of the Road and Festival No 6 seems to be getting some of the former Bestival crowd too.

The past few years the line up for Bestival has been brilliant but this year it was pretty rubbish, doesn't seem like it has been a gradual decline either it just seems as if this year they really decided to cut back. Would be disappointed if I was a regular attendee of the festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Sorry for asking this here - I know its an EP thread (but then Body & Soul is at EP....) I cant find any active threads on Body and Soul (June, Westmeath). Wanted to go this year but havent been before - when do tickets generally go on sale?

Nov 3rd 2015 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Ha most of my gang at EP keep waxing lyrical about Jenny Greene & the Orchestra as if it was some seminal life changing experience. TBH was flitting around outside attempting to locate my sister (it was her first Picnic!) & getting more joy from Todd Terje at EA although Adagio for Strings sounded good from my vantage point near the toilets.

I'll give my mates the benefit of the doubt & put it down to a combination of consumables/nostalgia! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Orchestras playing classic dance tunes is flavour of the day at the moment. I'm not arsed with the fad at all. Give me Todd Terje every day of the week.

Also, the credit Jenny Greene (and Pete Tong last year) got is over the top. You'd swear they made the tunes themselves. Though I guess it ties in with DJs getting credit for playing other people's songs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Ha most of my gang at EP keep waxing lyrical about Jenny Greene & the Orchestra as if it was some seminal life changing experience. TBH was flitting around outside attempting to locate my sister (it was her first Picnic!) & getting more joy from Todd Terje at EA although Adagio for Strings sounded good from my vantage point near the toilets.

I'll give my mates the benefit of the doubt & put it down to a combination of consumables/nostalgia! :pac:

I wanted to love the orchestra. I thought the BBC gig at the proms was great. And I stayed it out til the bitter end. But the sound was just awful from my position (in front of the front right tent pole) - you really couldn't make out much of the instrumentation, and the vocals were ear-splitting and distorting. The tunes choice wasn't great, and the up-for-it crowd and the fun the orchestra seemed to be having couldn't really compensate. Should have moved to a different spot, but it honestly felt like it wouldn't have made a difference.

JG009 wrote: »
    Nov 3rd 2015 last year.

Thanks a million for that - will keep the eye out now (and the few pound in the bank account!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Synode wrote: »
    Orchestras playing classic dance tunes is flavour of the day at the moment. I'm not arsed with the fad at all. Give me Todd Terje every day of the week.

Also, the credit Jenny Greene (and Pete Tong last year) got is over the top. You'd swear they made the tunes themselves. Though I guess it ties in with DJs getting credit for playing other people's songs

totally agree, I blame Metallica...and Jeff Mills :D

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Though I guess it ties in with DJs getting credit for playing other people's songs

^^ thats a good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Cool pic of LCD from this year

Ste_Murray_LCD_Soundsystem_2bda940a_72b5_11e.jpg

If DBFC's debut record can match their live show then they're gonna be massive. Really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Wooderson

If DBFC's debut record can match their live show then they're gonna be massive. Really impressive.

I thought they sounded incredible. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Each of their releases to date have been excellent .. really looking forward to an album Any idea on a release date?

Each of their releases to date have been excellent .. really looking forward to an album Any idea on a release date?

Dunno precisely but posted a pic to their FB account of them in the studio with the accompanying hashtags #newsongs #dbfcdebutalbum.

Only got into them through last years thread then brought a gang of approx twenty oblivious mates to their set but everyone was raving about them afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yeah, they were brilliant. If there was a little more time between their set ending and LCD starting i think they'd have gotten a big crowd too.

They seemed to suck in a lot of passersby as their set went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any thoughts on another Electric Picnic festival at Christmas time in say Malaga or Marbella, would be interesting.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Well Jaysus 2016 Electric Picnic thread how are ya! I've come back to post on ya again, some kind sod has posted the complete Daniel Avery Drone Logic track on Youtube, Enjoy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Any thoughts on another Electric Picnic festival at Christmas time in say Malaga or Marbella, would be interesting.
    Jaysus, the Picnic at Christmas?!!
    There'd be an Aldi/ Lidl/ Topaz Santy for the kids if I got on that train.

On the other hand it might be a good little presage of lean Chrimbos to come for them, what with the Global Economy the way it is and also my proposed trip to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

room_149 wrote: »
    Jaysus, the Picnic at Christmas?!!
    There'd be an Aldi/ Lidl/ Topaz Santy for the kids if I got on that train.

On the other hand it might be a good little presage of lean Chrimbos to come for them, what with the Global Economy the way it is and also my proposed trip to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

From a weather and comfort point of view, EP at Christmas in Ireland makes marginally more sense than a World Cup in Qatar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

From a weather and comfort point of view, EP at Christmas in Ireland makes marginally more sense than a World Cup in Qatar

From a human rights point of view, the volunteers at EP might be treated better than the indentured slaves building the World Cup stadiums in Qatar..

I'd regard anyone attending the World Cup to be complicit in these human rights violations

#bitta politics

(way off topic I know, but the thread is surely done at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

UsedToWait wrote: »
    From a human rights point of view, the volunteers at EP might be treated better than the indentured slaves building the World Cup stadiums in Qatar..

I'd regard anyone attending the World Cup to be complicit in these human rights violations

#bitta politics

(way off topic I know, but the thread is surely done at this stage)
    I used to cast the same judgement of all the Irish folk working over there until I went over there for myself a couple of years back.
    Had a good skite about the place, didn't see much wrong...
    Sure let the BBC and the Guardian et al write what they like I guess. Tends to be their jam to drum up stories of this ilk before every major tournament in non western places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

room_149 wrote: »
    I used to cast the same judgement of all the Irish folk working over there until I went over there for myself a couple of years back.
    Had a good skite about the place, didn't see much wrong...
    Sure let the BBC and the Guardian et al write what they like I guess. Tends to be their jam to drum up stories of this ilk before every major tournament in non western places

No doubt you believe that Amnesty International also lie for the sake of sensationalism.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/qatar/report-qatar/

Probably your "skite about the place" is more revealing than the experience human rights activists who dedicate their lives to exposing these abuses.

Someone uploaded the Noel Gallagher segment of the broadcast, watch while you can as I can't see that staying up for long.

Thats a bit sh!te you cant hear the crowd singing at all but we were belting it out!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MadYaker wrote: »
    Thats a bit sh!te you cant hear the crowd singing at all but we were belting it out!

Yea RTE are not the best with that. They never have mics that pick up the crowd like other festival coverage which can really take away from watching it on TV

And they let rain get all over the camera lenses! I'm glad I'm always at the festival so I never have to watch their sh!te coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,056 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jenny Greene's new FB profile pic.

what the actual f**k...

You're a f**king dj, you press buttons for a living. Jesus Christ - how conceited is this?

15055883_626135707559362_8951000775367865952_n.jpg?oh=808e01a858f2f104e11554daa2b8d623&oe=588F9283

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement