Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Jaggo wrote: »
    I am already nervous that I will forget. The deadline is on Friday week this gameweek, you could easily see the site crashing after 5pm that evening too.

Next deadline is on Saturday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JOhnty78

Im going in!!! When will we know about Aguero?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jaggo wrote: »
    I am already nervous that I will forget. The deadline is on Friday week this gameweek, you could easily see the site crashing after 5pm that evening too.

Yep if you're nervous then I'd go ahead. If you're planning on closely managing your team then getting to at least Thursday next week should be safe enough.

Not suggesting it's the only way to do it, just reminding people that the price rises probably don't count wildcards so the more logical option is to wait if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think I may yet wildcard.

Looking at the next few weeks and who would be in a likely wildcard team I think I could easily be 0.4 at least worse off with probably 3 likely incoming players rising and Townsend dropping.

Having already been a bit behind on that front I'm not sure I can stomach that. Plus my team, especially in defence looks a bit ragged for GW4. I could possibly patch it up and limp through to GW5 but would need at least -4. Given that I'll certainly wildcard by then it seems a waste to take hits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Presume a good few of us on WC are considering how to get the 'big 4' of Aguero, Zlatan, Hazard and Sanchez in but I can't get a balanced team with the four.

Is anyone considering foregoing Sanchez (for Ozil) or a little more crazily, considering Rooney as Utd cover?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Xaniaj wrote: »
    Presume a good few of us on WC are considering how to get the 'big 4' of Aguero, Zlatan, Hazard and Sanchez in but I can't get a balanced team with the four.

Is anyone considering foregoing Sanchez (for Ozil) or a little more crazily, considering Rooney as Utd cover?!

I'm leaning towards the first option, so obviously think it has merit. I wouldn't touch Rooney personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Xaniaj wrote:

Going without Zlatan doesn't mean you need Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

spock. wrote: »
    Going without Zlatan doesn't mean you need Rooney.

Oh absolutely true, I did say it was the crazy option!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Xaniaj wrote: »

I'm considering pogba but really not sure about that one as I haven't seen him play for utd yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It really is crazy to be even considering the 5th highest scoring striker so far lads.

• Advertisement

I'm considering pogba but really not sure about that one as I haven't seen him play for utd yet.

Are you set on dropping Ibra then? I think he may well end up being the one to drop from the big 4 but wouldn't have the balls to do it yet.

FHFC wrote: »
    Are you set on dropping Ibra then? I think he may well end up being the one to drop from the big 4 but wouldn't have the balls to do it yet.

I wouldn't be captaining him the next few weeks so would have no problem dropping him.Obviously I would prefer to keep him but I'd prefer to keep aguero, Sanchez and hazard before IBRA so if someone has to go it will be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I wildcarded last GW....needed to sort out a few positions,of the players I brought in they all went up .1 in value during last week....would people consider that a reasonable effort?... no double rises.Had Aguero from start so if he gets say a 3 game ban I feel I can afford to ship him out given the other .1's I have gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,765 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I wouldn't be captaining him the next few weeks so would have no problem dropping him.Obviously I would prefer to keep him but I'd prefer to keep aguero, Sanchez and hazard before IBRA so if someone has to go it will be him.

I'm waiting to see if Hazard continues to be so good. If he stays on this form I won't be able to do anything but keep him, but with Chelsea having a really nasty fixture list almost all the way upto Christmas it might be that he may be the one of the 4 to make way. But that won't be happening if he keeps on as is so I think favourite to go for me is Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

8-10 wrote: »
    See alot of people saying they're activating already. You should wait until the last day before the GW start to activate the wildcard

It is generally accepted that wildcard transfers don't affect prices so it's completely mad to try and use the wildcard week to increase value but to take the option of the transfers you make not making a difference

Don't worry about the -24 hit youre currently on, it will be wiped out at the end of next week when you activate the wildcard - make your transfers now as normal

The effect your transfer will have on a player's price is absolutely tiny and not even worth considering. The effect of not being able to play your wildcard (internet drops, broken leg, forgetting)after seven transfers is massive in FPL terms.

Massive risk, no benefit. I play the wildcard chip as soon as I know this is the week I'm going to do it.

The effect your transfer will have on a player's price is absolutely tiny and not even worth considering. The effect of not being able to play your wildcard (internet drops, broken leg, forgetting)after seven transfers is massive in FPL terms.

Massive risk, no benefit. I play the wildcard chip as soon as I know this is the week I'm going to do it.

Agree. Makes absolutely no difference to price changes and could easily go wrong for some odd reason. Which if it happened to any of us lot would probably result in a complete mental breakdown and committal to some kind of institutional care. So even more risky! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Pogba is an interesting one alright. He seems to have been given licence by Mourinho to get forward and attack. Though with Fellaini injured now that may affect his role.
    Mkhitaryan is the one I'm looking at. He was extremely lively when he came on against Hull. If he can nail down a starting spot he will be straight in my team. We just might have to wait a few more weeks for that to happen.

That's part of the reason I've decided to hold off on wildcarding. And Payet has still to make his return. And Benteke needs to get up to speed. Things will probably start to settle down once the transfer window closes and the European games start.

No idea why but I keep coming back to the idea of going for Townsend ahead of Redmond in my wildcard.

CSF wrote: »
    No idea why but I keep coming back to the idea of going for Townsend ahead of Redmond in my wildcard.

I've had Townsend from the start and I'm holding on to him. I'll lose at least 0.1m value before the next GW but I think he will benefit massively from having Bentekkers ahead of him. Their next few fixtures aren't bad at all!

I'm currently mesmerised by a fired up Benteke on pens with those fixtures.

Re mikhtyran I agree he could be the man to facilitate losing Ibra but thats a relatively easy switch to make in 2 FTs. I don't think I'd hold my wildcard for it.

Even with 3 of the 'big 4' taking up over 1/3 of your budget its very hard to have a balanced team. Put in a half decent defence and you're looking at very cheap 4th mid or 3rd striker.

• Advertisement

Re mikhtyran I agree he could be the man to facilitate losing Ibra but thats a relatively easy switch to make in 2 FTs. I don't think I'd hold my wildcard for it.

Even with 3 of the 'big 4' taking up over 1/3 of your budget its very hard to have a balanced team. Put in a half decent defence and you're looking at very cheap 4th mid or 3rd striker.

I'm firmly of the belief that this season might be the season for attacking defenders too. Baines, Bellerin and Valencia (Van Aanholt too if Moyes gets them solid) all look dangerous this season in defences that could be very stingy.

If Benteke can replicate his Villa form from a couple of seasons ago he'd be a steal at 7.5.

Going back to the wildcard, I think there's too much uncertainty yet over which midfield options are going to be the most consistent. For me Hazard is the only one at the moment. That's the main reason I want to hold off for another couple of weeks to see who is a must have.

I'm firmly of the belief that this season might be the season for attacking defenders too. Baines, Bellerin and Valencia (Van Aanholt too if Moyes gets them solid) all look dangerous this season in defences that could be very stingy.

As a signed up member of the cheap rotating defender strategy surprisingly this is something I've been considering as a way of getting in the big 4. Move to a 4 3 3 or 4 4 2 so you have the big 4 and two other cheapish attacking players but 4 solid defensive players with attacking potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

As a signed up member of the cheap rotating defender strategy surprisingly this is something I've been considering as a way of getting in the big 4. Move to a 4 3 3 or 4 4 2 so you have the big 4 and two other cheapish attacking players but 4 solid defensive players with attacking potential.

Was just coming in here to post something similar. Strongly considering a switch to 4-3-3 for this reason.

I'm looking at a quite cheap 4th mid anyhow. Maybe 5.0 or 5.5 and ability to rotate with Capoue who is a viable rotation mid now.

Adding in a slightly stronger defence is an extra layer to that with the option to go 433.

Agree with CSF too. Valencia and Baines 100% in my WC team. After that I doubt i could afford a PVA or Janmaat at 5.0 but Holebas and maybe Kone or Byram ar 3rd and 4th wouldbe quite strong.

It'd be interesting to see at the end of the season which formation results in more points. I've started the season with a 3-5-2 formation but that'll chop and change as the season progresses. A job for Fhfc maybe?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In previous years, the top defenders would be 6 - 6.5, but now you can get Baines (on penalties and playing wing back), Shaw and Valencia (attacking full backs in a Mourning defence) for 5.5, and Stones (playmaking defender in title challengers) for 5.0. Very hard to pass any of those up.

Alexis Sanchez 68 league games for arsenal 30 goals. He is a must for me. I don't think there is any other midfielder that can give you a goal less than every 2.5 games. He hasn't started the season great especially compared to hazard but is only 4 pts off his output.

I think its very worth covering penalty takers too.

Draft with Baines, Cazorla, Hazard, Aguero, Zlatan and Benteke in front of me looking quite good. Six likely penalty takers in the season thats in it, Alexis can get assists for being fouled in the box all he likes!

• Advertisement

In previous years, the top defenders would be 6 - 6.5, but now you can get Baines (on penalties and playing wing back), Shaw and Valencia (attacking full backs in a Mourning defence) for 5.5, and Stones (playmaking defender in title challengers) for 5.0. Very hard to pass any of those up.

That's a good point actually. A premium defence is probably more affordable now than it's ever been in the game before. It certainly makes a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 setup an option.

I think Pulisball is essential too for the next 4 games or so before West Broms fixtures turn.

Advertisement