Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

• 21-08-2016 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Seen a lot of talk of wildcards on other threads, thought it might be time start up this year's Wildcard thread .

wc-meme_zpsufazijca.png

giphy.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Wildcard activated.

Heaton / Jaku

Valencia Shaw McAuley Amat Walker

Hazard Barkley Lallana Lamela Capoue

Ibra Aguero Diomande

2.4m ITB

Not sure of how il actually finish but for certain:

GK 8.5m budget

Def Utd, Spurs, WBA cover 4.5 & 4.0 defender

Mid Hazard Capoue Lamela ? ?

Forwards Aguero Ibra ?

That should leave me with 21.5m for the 3 attacking positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Will wait until at least the transfer window spams shut. Nothing worse than putting in those two cheapies who unexpectedly got to start the first two games, to then find they're replaced by new players meaning there are now no cheapies and you have to tear up your team week by week.

Will wait until at least the transfer window spams shut. Nothing worse than putting in those two cheapies who unexpectedly got to start the first two games, to then find they're replaced by new players meaning there are now no cheapies and you have to tear up your team week by week.

Capoue is certain from a cheapie attacking point.

Jaku is certain from a goalie point if opted for that route.

Just defence which won't mean drastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I'm considering a wildcard purely for the fact that I could get the team I'm aiming for in a few weeks immediately.

I'm not concerned with overall rank just beating rivals in private leagues so I took a hit last week and I'm looking at another hit this week. I can afford these minus 4s given my standing in private leagues.

My issues are; I started with a very premium defence that I planned on downgrading with my wildcard in the first 6 weeks. These premiums are not getting clean sheets whereas midtable teams are.

I have Courtois and Jako, so doubt I'll ever start Jako means missing out on a GK rotation

Have Darren Fletcher as bench fodder who'll play 90mins-again he was a stop gap until my wildcard.

Townsend isn't delivering but Palace have a nice run so no problem sticking with him

I'm lining out as follows
    (with -4)
    Costa to Ibrahimovic
    and
    Sanchez to Hazard
    Already done

0.4 in the bank

Courtois-Jako

Baines-Shaw-Stones-Amat-Lenihan

Hazard-Coutinho-Townsend-Redmond-Fletcher

Aguero-Negredo-Ibrahimovic

Any value in wildcarding?;

Everton-Chelsea-Man City aren't inspiring me with confidence defensively
    Lenihan was a 4.0 gamble at the start
    could use 3-4 transfers on defence

Fletcher would go in MF

Strikers unchanged for now.

So could do 7 or 8 transfers or stay as I am with 2 done basically.

Lack of Spurs, West ham and Arsenal cover is worrying me a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Had originally planned an early WC but I'm 2 transfers off being quite happy with my squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

PARlance wrote: »
    Had originally planned an early WC but I'm 2 transfers off being quite happy with my squad.

Same as. My team has very good looking fixtures for next week too (9 from 11 at home plus Ibra at Hull), bar maybe one def spot where I'd have to play Friend at WBA.

I'll still most likely be going next week. The pattern of price changes is suiting me at present, most of my team are on the rise, none bar Townsend at risk of dropping. Not many players I want long term are on the rise, bar maybe Shaw/Valencia.

But by next week there will be different bandwagons in and out which will probably prompt me to pull the trigger. Anything looking like a 0.5m+ saving/gain and I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

shineon23 wrote: »
    I'm considering a wildcard purely for the fact that I could get the team I'm aiming for in a few weeks immediately.

I'm not concerned with overall rank just beating rivals in private leagues so I took a hit last week and I'm looking at another hit this week. I can afford these minus 4s given my standing in private leagues.

My issues are; I started with a very premium defence that I planned on downgrading with my wildcard in the first 6 weeks. These premiums are not getting clean sheets whereas midtable teams are.

I have Courtois and Jako, so doubt I'll ever start Jako means missing out on a GK rotation

Have Darren Fletcher as bench fodder who'll play 90mins-again he was a stop gap until my wildcard.

Townsend isn't delivering but Palace have a nice run so no problem sticking with him

I'm lining out as follows
    (with -4)
    Costa to Ibrahimovic
    and
    Sanchez to Hazard
    Already done

0.4 in the bank

Courtois-Jako

Baines-Shaw-Stones-Amat-Lenihan

Hazard-Coutinho-Townsend-Redmond-Fletcher

Aguero-Negredo-Ibrahimovic

Any value in wildcarding?;

Everton-Chelsea-Man City aren't inspiring me with confidence defensively
    Lenihan was a 4.0 gamble at the start
    could use 3-4 transfers on defence

Fletcher would go in MF

Strikers unchanged for now.

So could do 7 or 8 transfers or stay as I am with 2 done basically.

Lack of Spurs, West ham and Arsenal cover is worrying me a bit

I think your set.

ElTel wrote:
    I think your set.

Set to stay as I am or pull the trigger on the wildcard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

shineon23 wrote: »
    Set to stay as I am or pull the trigger on the wildcard?

Stay. Stick at -4.

ElTel wrote: »
    Stay. Stick at -4.

Cheers it was a case of setting my plans down in writing.

I keep remembering having to make 5 transfers during last season's international break, after being crippled by injuries and having used my WC early on.

I think plodding along with 1 tor 2 transfers a week is the most sensible option for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Decided to WC last night,hadn't made a disastrous start but had a few positions that needed sorting,brought in a few lads last night that I think might just get double rises for the week,Hazard,Capoue,Negredo and Walker.

Decided to WC last night,hadn't made a disastrous start but had a few positions that needed sorting,brought in a few lads last night that I think might just get double rises for the week,Hazard,Capoue,Negredo and Walker.

Brought in a few I'm hoping for rises out of

Diomande, Snodgrass, Barkley, Shaw, Walker, McAuley

I really should of got on Negredo last night before his rise because he will go up again before Saturday 11:30. Diomande rose 0.1 for me but doesn't look like he'll rise again

Others players I have and I'm 100% keeping

Heaton/Jako

Valencia/Amat

Hazard/Lamela/Capoue

Aguero/Ibra

There should be a few rises out of those but hopefully I can pick up some on the others.

What shape/template is your wildcard team?

Chesty08 wrote: »

Heaton/Jako

Valencia/Amat

Hazard/Lamela/Capoue

Aguero/Ibra

There should be a few rises out of those but hopefully I can pick up some on the others.

Apologies...had Hazard,brought in Barkley.Main weakness in my start was no Ibra,brought him in straight after Saints game.Will be 343 but price changes will ultimately decide my final WC team as hope is to make a few pound during the week to form a team then for the next GW.

Chesty08 wrote: »

I really should of got on Negredo last night before his rise because he will go up again before Saturday 11:30. Diomande rose 0.1 for me but doesn't look like he'll rise again

Heaton/Jako

Valencia/Amat

Hazard/Lamela/Capoue

Aguero/Ibra

Looks like some of the blanks have filled & now at

Heaton/Jako

Valencia/Amat/Shaw/McAuley ?

Hazard/Lamela/Capoue/Barkley ?

Aguero/Ibra ?

The 3 ? Leaves me with 18.4 ITB and I'm currently swaying with

Holgate (4.5m)
    Mane/Noliti (9.0m)
    Stuani (4.9m)

Stuani appears to be a streaky player looking at his goals last year, however the one worry is that if he is off form I'll need a reshuffle to get someone else in ... I.e 1.6m to get a 6.5mil striker

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭skippy15

Are some people thinking of activating wc now this week or holding of a week or two
    Had planned from the start to do it during gw3 over the break but having second thoughts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

skippy15 wrote: »
    Are some people thinking of activating wc now this week or holding of a week or two
    Had planned from the start to do it during gw3 over the break but having second thoughts now.
    Doing it at this stage of the week would be poor practice. You need to get on it early in the week and try get a couple of double risers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Screen_Shot_2016_08_26_at_11_50_22.png

Succumbed to the wild card despite not being in *too* bad shape. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Two SOU mids are probably overkill. I would swap one out for EVE.

*Says himself with two EVE mids.

skippy15 wrote: »

I've had my best ever start but will still probably do it on Saturday. I can avoid price drops for the two weeks and get my team in shape post-transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

I'd drop one of the Southampton midfielders and one of the Swansea defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I am surprised about the amount of people playing WC to make relatively minor changes. Unless you are facing multiple drops or are missing someone like Ibra I don't see any reason to play WC now.

I appreciate that playing WC early has been correct decision in last couple of seasons but every season is different. There is no way I would trust Negredo or Redmond for my WC based on what they have done so far. Whereas it was plain to see that the likes of Mahrez were on another level last year. Aguero, Ibra, Shaw and Capoue are only 4 players who I have seen this year that I would have 100% in WC team - other than that you are for example swapping Barkley for Tadic or vice versa just for changes sake.

In my opinion if your team is mostly in good shape now it is better practice to hold it for later and see what the season brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I've had my best ever start but will still probably do it on Saturday. I can avoid price drops for the two weeks and get my team in shape post-transfer window.

Sorry meant to quote you in my reply above. What's your thinking for playing WC if you've made a good start? What type of changes will you make?

I'm pretty conservative - I usually want to keep my WC 'just in case' which cost me last year as I was too slow to pull the trigger but I think in most other years an obvious opportunity to play it has just emerged and I've been happy to have held it back.

Sorry meant to quote you in my reply above. What's your thinking for playing WC if you've made a good start? What type of changes will you make?

I'm pretty conservative - I usually want to keep my WC 'just in case' which cost me last year as I was too slow to pull the trigger but I think in most other years an obvious opportunity to play it has just emerged and I've been happy to have held it back.

I am currently ~300k OR and activated my wildcard last week because

a) I took a punt on Vardy over Ibra for first 3 GW's - needed to make that change
    b) I had about 4 players price dropping this week.

My pre team was

Heaton, Jako
    Valencia, Fuchs, Amat, Nsue , B.Smith
    Firmino, Tadic, Hazard, Lamela, Capoue
    Kun, Vardy, Gray

My WC tea, is

Heaton, Jako
    Valencia, Shaw, Amat, Walker , McAuley
    Redmond, Barkley, Hazard, Lamela, Capoue
    Kun, Ibra, Negredo

I have made 7 changes of which 6 will play regularly with the other being rotated. The only thing itching me is having Redmond - i really wnat Tadic before Redmond but I dont have the required funds.

Currently I have Diamande as my third striker. This was a downgrade to get Ibra in so I want to put someone better there, most likely Benteke, so i need to cut elsewhere. I have Foster and Heaton. I'll probably get a 4.0 keeper instead of Heaton, and downgrade Phillips to a cheapie midfielder. Firmino, Lamela and Redmond are all under review and I'll get Amat in if he looks like he'll keep his place. About five changes, I can take account of the transfer window, and prevent loss of value.
    To put a little more context on it, I picked a team for three weeks and played BB in week one, expecting to WC early. I can get some Arsenal in now if they start to improve.

Busy at work so might not get to 'finish' wildcard team till tomorrow morning.
    Everton fans out there.....

Currently have Barkley in....is Mirallas a better choice at less money would people think?

He is rising tonight so would need to bring him in asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

done my wildcard what do use think

foster jakupovic
    shaw collins love mcauley almat
    capoue hazard redmond barkley martial
    ageuro negredo ibrahimovic

beaver111 wrote: »

foster jakupovic

Martial's form hasn't been great so might get rotated. Love's position may be under threat with their new signing. I'm not sure about West Ham's squad but will Collins be a regular?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Busy at work so might not get to 'finish' wildcard team till tomorrow morning.
    Everton fans out there.....

Currently have Barkley in....is Mirallas a better choice at less money would people think?

He is rising tonight so would need to bring him in asap.

Barkley more likely to start more games.

beaver111 wrote: »

foster jakupovic

I would prefer a double city attacking coverage over a double utd attacking coverage. Go with Nolito, Silva, or Sterling before Martial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Due to doubts over Evans,Friend and Coutinho I wild carded a team that needed a little fixing as it was.

Now looking at

De Gea Heaton

Shaw Haines Amat McCauley Azpi

Firmino Nolito Redmond Wanyama Phillips

IBRA Kun Valencia.

100.1m
    0.3 itb.

Anybody see a better use of Wanyama/Valencia? Total cost is 10.1m so hard to find cheaper it also gives me coverage of west ham and spurs. Valencia def playing due to injuries even if zaza was to sign today.

Advertisement