Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats your setup?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

Hi! Today is very special day for me- I've got reception from Astra 2 @28,5*E UK beam. screenhunter-51-aug-14-14-38_imagesia-com_19q8n_small.jpgimg-20160814-141520-custom-_imagesia-com_19qg0_small.jpg
    And reception is in Latvia, near Riga

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Quick amature question as I'm actually in the process of changing my setup and could use some advice. Current setup is a Triax 80cm with 13e, 19e, 23e, 28e, and 39e.

However for a few reasons (Mostly as main line of sight due to surrounding buildings is now blocked as a couple of neighbors trees have grown to block it). I have to move my dish to the side of my house but I don't have clear line to 19e/13e due to the line of the wall (I've sketched it out, line & proportions far from accurate but hopefully gives you an idea? In reality I can get decent 13e, average 19e, only really pulling in SD channels well (RTL, ZDF etc.) which will do, but could get the FTA HD's too with optimisation), but no 28e from the side of the house hence the separate much smaller dish to give it a line of sight.

Basically I'm wondering to get around this, what is the best approach? Should I point the dish straight centered at 0 to give it a clear line of sight and offset the LNB to the side to get around the wall (losing optimal LNB performance) or should I point the dish directly at 13e/19e, partially blocked by the wall, but having the LNB more centered to better receive the partially blocked signal.

Essentially is it 'better' to sacrifice LNB position to off centre on my multi-LNB bar or sacrifice the dish line of sight alignment?

Any thoughts or help is really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I am guessing that the front of your house is south facing and you do not want to stick a dish on the front of the house.

You can get brackets that go around the ridge of the house.

Look at swan neck brackets or 45 degree corner brackets.

http://purplesat.com/index.php?p=1_51_100mph-SATELLITE-BRACKETS

You question about centering for optimal reception. You would have to drill the bracket.

This is my smaller stationary dish a TD88 which covers 13E to 39E (centred at 28/9E, 28 just after the bar)). I had to redrill the Triax Multibracket at the quarter point

(make sure you flip it over first so that you drilling in the opposite groove to the originally drilled centre point, it gives you more tilt).

242412.jpg

RimaNTSS wrote: »
    Hi! Today is very special day for me- I've got reception from Astra 2 @28,5*E UK beam. screenhunter-51-aug-14-14-38_imagesia-com_19q8n_small.jpgimg-20160814-141520-custom-_imagesia-com_19qg0_small.jpg
    And reception is in Latvia, near Riga

Monster!!

If the smaller is a 1.8m channel master, what size is this broadcaster sized dish ? What kind of motor drives these ?

STB. wrote: »
    If the smaller is a 1.8m channel master, what size is this broadcaster sized dish ? What kind of motor drives these ?

Yes, "small" dish is 1,8m, the "tiny" one is 1,2m, but the bigger one is 4,6m :Dimg-20160810-205546-custom-_imagesia-com_19rha_small.jpg The dish is driven by two enormously heavy actuators and powered by two severe duty electrical motors. img-20160801-193551-custom-_imagesia-com_19rhc_small.jpgimg-20160731-215352-custom-_imagesia-com_19rhd_small.jpgimg-20160808-213651-custom-_imagesia-com_19rhf_small.jpgimg-20160730-221020-custom-_imagesia-com_19rhm_small.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Hi Lads,

Has anyone tuned in Intelsat 14 45.0 W in Ireland?
    Has Brazilian channels

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Brazilian channels are on C Band which requires special equipment, and they are on an American footprint which rules them out anyway.

The only channel on Ku Band is RASD TV the station of the Polisario Front, which is fighting for independence for Western Sahara. Spain handed over that ex colony to Morocco.

Brazilian channels are on C Band which requires special equipment, and they are on an American footprint which rules them out anyway.

The only channel on Ku Band is RASD TV the station of the Polisario Front, which is fighting for independence for Western Sahara. Spain handed over that ex colony to Morocco.

Ok so that wont have too many soap operas on it then :D

Only other option is Portuguese TV that is on E 9.0 isnt it?
    Is it possible to have E9.0 and 28.5 on the one sat? 97cm Triax mesh eg?

billo.d86 wrote: »
    Ok so that wont have too many soap operas on it then :D

Only other option is Portuguese TV that is on E 9.0 isnt it?
    Is it possible to have E9.0 and 28.5 on the one sat? 97cm Triax mesh eg?

9E nope. TVTel gone a few years ago.

Record Internacional is on 28.2E (ie the same as the freesat channels) and is free.

RTP is on 13E and is free.

Lots of the portuguese channels are free to stream. http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Portugal.html

STB. wrote: »
    9E nope. TVTel gone a few years ago.

Record Internacional is on 28.2E (ie the same as the freesat channels) and is free.

RTP is on 13E and is free.

Lots of the portuguese channels are free to stream. http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Portugal.html

TV Globo is the one I want. Cheap enough package and herself will be happy.
    This says its on Eutelsat 9B http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=globo&standard=All
    All the other FTA stuff would require a different dish wouldnt it?

• Advertisement

Have installed this SMW-OA-1600 toroidal dish to receive signals from 0,8*W-4,8*E-13*E-19,2*E-23,5*E-28,2*E-36*E satellites. img-20160903-125334-custom-_imagesia-com_1a2bv_small.jpgimg-20160903-125348-custom-_imagesia-com_1a2bw_small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

Is it known as to how much difference there is in signal gain between a solid and petalised prime focus dish ? I'm looking at getting a 1.8m for Spain and getting a 1.8m petalised unit to be shipped there wouldn't be a problem, unlike getting a solid one.

Are the petalised ones made of metal or fibreglass / composite panels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I have nothing special.

Just the normal Sky "mini" dish & HD box at 28E

And a cheap FTA box with a 80cm dish with three LNB's at 19E, 13E & 9E. And for me I only speak English so it wouldn't be much use unless I learned German, Italian, some Spanish & Arabic. I use it the odd time for European football games but that's about it. Channels like ZDF, RTL, VOX etc... have some good shows & films on them but their all dubbed in German.

What do people who only speak English with big Triax dishes pointed at like the Turkish 42E satellite watch on them? Is it just the thrill of scanning different frequencies & finding different channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

IPTV has largely killed off multisat setups for ordinary folk. So many satellites can be combined into a single "package". I just have the satellite dish now for "backup"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes I gave up the game a long time ago. It was a sad day. But sometimes I think about getting the 1.1m motorised out again.
    Its all IPTV and on demand for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

snaps wrote: »
    Yes I gave up the game a long time ago. It was a sad day. But sometimes I think about getting the 1.1m motorised out again.
    Its all IPTV and on demand for me now.

Same here, still have a decent multisat setup but it's rarely used now and serves more as a server to my home network than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Watching the feeds for me, is what i use the set up for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

set up here is a 1.85m offset motorised dish with a few sat boxes vu+duo Zgemma box that ive iptv set up on,and a brilliant DR HD F15 box that I use for the feeds,kindly given to me by DXHOUND.
    theres still a lot of stuff to be got out there on various sats like ppv wwe events if your in to that lol but handy if you have kids,ppv boxing events,loasds of football,snooker darts horse racing,various other sports and events.

I love my dish and feedhunting,been in the sat set up since 1989 got my first sky box at the time sky had launched and it was fta when the first started out,then moved on to d2 mac decoder got all the Scandinavian channels on 1.west tv1000 and tv 2 Norway used to show 3pm Saturday premier lge games live and later canal + Norway oh those were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Vu+ Duo 4k, 500gb ssd
    Hooked up to Saorview aerial, dual tuner
    28.2 for Freesat , 6 tuners via fbc lnb
    13E Hotbird for the Italian channels, wife's Italian, tivusat card in the reader 2 tuners via fbc
    OpenATV 6.4 image
    Onyx skin

Great setup for us, ditched sky few years back, box has paid for itself many times over

Advertisement