Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭championc

Looking at implementing the following setup, do I just need standard twin LNB's or are they special ones that are needed ?

switch2.jpg

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

championc wrote: »
    Looking at implementing the following setup, do I just need standard twin LNB's or are they special ones that are needed ?

switch2.jpg

If I understand your picture correctly. I think you should get quad LNBs and then just 4 Diseqc switches.

Or you could get a multi switch and then I think you only need single LNBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

That setup as drawn will not work. If you want to receive 4 orbital positions on 4 different receivers, you will need 4x quad LNBFs and 4x 4-way diseqc switches.

Apogee wrote: »
    That setup as drawn will not work. If you want to receive 4 orbital positions on 4 different receivers, you will need 4x quad LNBFs and 4x 4-way diseqc switches.

I got that diagram off a website so it wasn't something I just drew myself. In what way will it not work because I have (maybe stupidly) gone and bought the 4 multiswitches already ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I got that diagram off a website so it wasn't something I just drew myself. In what way will it not work because I have (maybe stupidly) gone and bought the 4 multiswitches already ?

What website and which multiswitches did you buy?

• Advertisement

What I guess is that you want to have a sat signal going to 4 receivers (I guess 4 different rooms). For this you only need 4 Quad LNBs and 4 4x1 Diseqc switchs.

You say you have bought a multi switch (times 4), so then I think you only need 4 single LNBs. I presume that the multi switch is a 4 in and a 4 out? Perhaps you could post a link to what you have bought?

Or better still, actually explain what you want to do to save us all from guessing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

iba wrote: »
    You say you have bought a multi switch (times 4), so then I think you only need 4 single LNBs.

You think wrong. Anyway, I'd say it's 4 DiSEqC switches of some description he bought, not multiswitches, although he could use a single multiswitch with inputs for multiple satellite positions.

Are your receivers all single-tuner? Or maybe you're using that diagram to represent a couple of twin-tuner receivers?

How many actual tuners do you want to feed the multi-sat. signal to?

Here are the multi-switches I bought - exactly the ones in the diagram.

sam3402_zoom.gif

I can see that I have somewhat overcomplicated things unnecessarily !!

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You think wrong. Anyway, I'd say it's 4 DiSEqC switches of some description he bought, not multiswitches, although he could use a single multiswitch with inputs for multiple satellite positions.

I want to get a multi-switch, will this work:

http://satsklep.pl/en_US/p/Multiswitch-58-MS-BL58B-Blue-Line-/460

I have 5 LNBs going into an 8x1 Diseqc and then I want the signal to go to three receivers.

• Advertisement

Here are the multi-switches I bought - exactly the ones in the diagram.

Not much use for European setups. Just outline exactly what you want to achieve: how many satellite positions, to how many tuners.

I want to get a multi-switch, will this work:

http://satsklep.pl/en_US/p/Multiswitch-58-MS-BL58B-Blue-Line-/460

I have 5 LNBs going into an 8x1 Diseqc and then I want the signal to go to three receivers.

The 8x1 DiSEqC switch can only feed a single tuner. If you want to feed multiple tuners from 5 satellite positions, you will need a multiswitch with at least 20 satellite inputs: switches for 5 - 8 sat. positions listed here.

The 8x1 DiSEqC switch can only feed a single tuner. If you want to feed multiple tuners from 5 satellite positions, you will need a multiswitch with at least 20 satellite inputs: switches for 5 - 8 sat. positions listed here.

So you need Quad LNBs too and get rid of the Diseqc switch?

So you need Quad LNBs too and get rid of the Diseqc switch?

The multiswitch takes over the band/polarity switching carried out by a 'universal' LNB, such as a quad or octo. Some multiswitches will only work with quattro LNBs: LNBs with 4 fixed outputs, 1 for each band/polarity 'block', rather than the 4 switchable outputs of a quad.

The switches that work with quad LNBs, do so by effectively turning the quad into a quattro, by keeping each output permanently switched to 1 of the 4 band/polarity blocks (vertical low, vertical high, horizontal low, horizontal high).

Multiswitches that cater for more than 1 sat. position, have the DiSEqC switching built in.

Not much use for European setups.

What is wrong with them ? Are they working with wrong frequencies ?
    Just outline exactly what you want to achieve: how many satellite positions, to how many tuners.

I have a 1m fixed dish and want to get maybe 13e and 19e and maybe one other (suggestions please). I have a twin tuner Amiko Alien2 and then a TV with an onboard Sat tuner so that's three receivers. So I want any tuner to be able to do anything.

I obviously thought that I could just have two cables per LNB from the dish rather than 4 per quattro and then also thought that cheaper more basic multi-switches would do the job

Many thanks

There was no mention of multiswitches until you brought them up yourself. :)

If I was feeding 4 sat. positions to 3 tuners, I would use 4 quad LNBs, with 1 cable from each LNB to each of 3 DiSEqC switches (4x1 type, as linked to here), then each switch output serves 1 tuner . Each tuner will then be able to access any of the 4 sat. positions.

Maybe you also want to include terrestrial feeds on the same cables?

Thanks Peter

Sorry to press you but would the Zinwell switches not work (in case I'm too late to cancel them)

The only issue I would somehow like to avoid is with both of the tuners on my AA2 using the same polarization thus limiting me sometimes to half of the channels.

No, those Zinwell switches are for American LNBs that don't use high/low band switching. From what I can make out, they must work in a similar manner to quad-compatible European switches, effectively converting the US version of what we would call a 'twin' LNB to what we would call a 'dual' LNB (2 fixed outputs, horizontal & vertical).

All you need, is a 4-way switch for each tuner, so each tuner can connect to an output of any of 4 quad LNBs. The LNB will still do all the band & polarity switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Cancel your order or consider sending them back. They are only suitable for a US setup where they have a single band and H/V polarisation. In Europe, we have 2 bands (22KHz on/off) in addition to H/V polarisation.

As Peter has mentioned, for 3 tuners and 4 orbital positions, you need 3x 4-way diseqc switches and 4 quad LNBFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

This thread is way too quiet................would somebody post a pic of there set up with a 90cm dish. Thanks

• Advertisement

The top dish is an 88cm dish, close enough?

7a82bc73eb0acb8b13dd14c8cee697e2.png

4213c7e6e6e305fb2fc571be97b23fc0.png

Top dish has 28/26/23/19 and 13

Bottom dish is on a motor

thank you, whats your 26 reception like?

kooga wrote: »
    thank you, whats your 26 reception like?

on the 88, excellent in good weather, poor in rainy weather.

on the motor, nearly excellent all the time in all weather.

But I love 26 because of MBC 2 (recent movies all the time) and MBC Action (TV shows all the time eg Game of thrones, Blue Bloods - that sort of thing).

All in English but with Arabic subs which do not bother me at all.

MBC2 right now on motor:

f82f948e55f8aff863c36bccfb8af1ff.png

and MBC Bollywood is fun too

4213c7e6e6e305fb2fc571be97b23fc0.png
    dish has 28/26/23/19 and 13

So towards which satellite is the dish primarily pointing at ? I have a 1m Lenson Heath dish and have the multisat arm and 3 lnb's ready to go so any pointers would be most welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

I am very limited in space here, I mean maximum arc is 31,5*E-12,5*W. T90 and motorized 1,20cm (small video how it moves)

So towards which satellite is the dish primarily pointing at ? I have a 1m Lenson Heath dish and have the multisat arm and 3 lnb's ready to go so any pointers would be most welcome :)

It's at 26

What sets do you want, then we can tell you where to point it?

RimaNTSS wrote: »
    I am very limited in space here, I mean maximum arc is 31,5*E-12,5*W. T90 and motorized 1,20cm (small video how it moves)

That's a jpeg rather than a vid

Me too. Can't go over 31.5 because of line of site, houses in the way. Think I can go to. 7/8 on the other side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

Video will be dowloadable when you klick on word "video"

• Advertisement

on the 88, excellent in good weather, poor in rainy weather.

on the motor, nearly excellent all the time in all weather.

But I love 26 because of MBC 2 (recent movies all the time) and MBC Action (TV shows all the time eg Game of thrones, Blue Bloods - that sort of thing).

All in English but with Arabic subs which do not bother me at all.

i see black ultras lnbs to help improve signal

Advertisement