Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert results thread 2016

Options
  • 16-08-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd create this in time for tomorrow morning - best of luck everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

I can't believe this is nearly it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

It's funny you're the OP cos' I intend to play this song if my grades are disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

TSMGUY wrote: »
    It's funny you're the OP cos' I intend to play this song if my grades are disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

:D me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Keepout007

if you did bad in the leaving cert dont sweat it because its not the end of anything, i got 200 points and then i went on to do a PLC and now im going into NUIG Science which is like 410 points, if i repeated the leaving cert i wouldnt even have gotten over 400 points. it's not the end guys i can assure you that!!!

Keepout007 wrote: »
    if you did bad in the leaving cert dont sweat it because its not the end of anything, i got 200 points and then i went on to do a PLC and now im going into NUIG Science which is like 410 points, if i repeated the leaving cert i wouldnt even have gotten over 400 points. it's not the end guys i can assure you that!!!

Ah now, you might've! Enjoy NUIG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I write this type of post every year but it's of a bit more significance to me now and might be of use to anyone getting their results tomorrow.

I'm 28 now and I did disastrously in my Leaving Cert. It was my own fault and I hated nearly all the subjects I chose.

Anyway, I floated around trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. It was kinda drilled into us that college is the right thing to do and was the be all and end all.

Saw my career officer and we went through a list of things I was interested in. I only had hobbies. Nothing that I ever considered as a profession as such.

At this stage, I was freaking out because college seemed to be the only option and was the only option presented to me. FETAC/PLC courses weren't even given as an alternative.

I was a fresh faced 18 year old leaving school with crap results and thrust into a college course I had no interest in with zero idea as to what I really wanted to do with my life.

Ended up dropping out because it felt too much like school. Going for the sake of going with little to no interest in modules being taught.

I ended up getting a job anyway and went through the motions until a new path just opened up to me. One that was always there but I never really looked at because I wouldn't have gotten into a course with the deplorable points I had behind me.

So, I waited it out and applied as a mature student. My portfolio/experience was lacking so I built it up by partaking in voluntary work.

I applied again the following year at 25 years of age and I got in.

This November, I will have a degree in Social Care.

---

I know it's a long post, but what I'm really trying to say is, don't lose hope if you don't get what you want.

There are hundreds of other options available to you. Don't panic and just enjoy a day/evening/night with family and friends and have fun before you assess your options.

There are endless courses and opportunities but you don't always have to know right away what it is you want to do from my experience.

The best of luck to you all and keep the head up.

Like I say, go out and have fun. Points don't define you as a person. You define you as a person.

G'luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

**** life.

Got 535, over the ****ing moon.

Well I'll get the ball rolling...

Got 240, passing everything which I'm really pleased with. :)

Well done to everyone!

EDIT: Arnie beat me to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

595 can't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

535, I'm delighted, should just about make it for my first course!! Couldn't believe it, I was convinced I'd messed a load of my exams up. Anyone else surprised by their individual results though? Got an A2 in chemistry and I never got an A in the 2 years of studying it and got an A2 in biology when that's my best subject and I was certain I'd get an A1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

545, kind of afraid to celebrate before the offers come out :P I'm currently 1 point off of medicine in NUIG as of last year's points, so fingers crossed! Congratulations to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

555, couldn't be happier with them :D:D:D
    juniorcert wrote: »
    Anyone else surprised by their individual results though? Got an A2 in chemistry and I never got an A in the 2 years of studying it and got an A2 in biology when that's my best subject and I was certain I'd get an A1

I got an A2 in English and I thought I'd royally messed up paper 1, so really pleased with that! Then I got a B1 in Economics when I was expecting to get an A1 before the exam - I don't mind much though as I knew the exam didn't go as well as it should have. Really pleased overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

echolima wrote: »
    545, kind of afraid to celebrate before the offers come out :P I'm currently 1 point off of medicine in NUIG as of last year's points, so fingers crossed! Congratulations to everyone :)

Got 440 last year and decided to repeat my leaving cert as I wanted to do a course that was 470 last year. Got 470 this year. Both delighted and worried about Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

swagmire wrote: »
    Got 440 last year and decided to repeat my leaving cert as I wanted to do a course that was 470 last year. Got 470 this year. Both delighted and worried about Monday

Best of luck! So annoying not knowing, Monday will be a long time coming

Side-note, anyone see the Chinese diver who won the 3m last night, his name is Cao Yuan. CAO wins gold at the Olympics the night before results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

485. It's that score on the border where I don't know whether to be disappointed or delighted. Got an A2 in English which really surprised me, and then a B2 in Physics & Biology when I was expecting A's in both.

Oh well. Trumped my points requirement, that's all that matters in the end.

Giotar wrote: »
    485. It's that score on the border where I don't know whether to be disappointed or delighted. Got an A2 in English which really surprised me, and then a B2 in Physics & Biology when I was expecting A's in both.

Oh well. Trumped my points requirement, that's all that matters in the end.

Don't know about you, but I'd be over the moon to get results like that.

Anyway, you got the points requirements, so it doesn't really matter at the end of the day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Got 465, so i am 5 points off my second choice. I am a bit apatheic, kind of wishy washy, about the results. I am not overly delighted or disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Got 550 which means I'm 4 points off NUIG Med....heartbroken

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

520 im so delighted!! English screwed me over a little bit but i'm thinking of appealing, A2's in irish french and biology make things a lot better though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

I hate to see a fellow Scrubs fan disappointed:pac:... entry to medicine is very touch and go, a lot of luck involved:o! So are you gonna repeat or do a different course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

Could be going down this year though

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

Could be going down this year though
    I'm pretty sure applications are down 1% or so for Medicine...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Wait until Monday to see, you never know what might happen. In the meantime, consider your options. 550 is a brilliant Leaving Cert so you should be proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Appreciate the support lads <3, anybody disappointed with Chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

Samurai12 wrote: »
    Got 465, so i am 5 points off my second choice. I am a bit apatheic, kind of wishy washy, about the results. I am not overly delighted or disappointed

Me too. I was fairly pleased with my points total but then the realisation that I'm 5 points off sunk in

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Violin1997

Got 425!!! Can't believe it!!!!! I thought I was just going to scrape the grade requirements for Maynooth but I got a A1 in Music and C1's in English, History and French! And I got a D1 in Economics which I thought I'd failed! I'm sooooooo HAPPY!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jarumphadumpj

575, exactly the points my course was at last year. I would have taken this previously, but seeing the results in front of me was underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Managed to get 510! Happy overall but I'm a little gutted that my first choice was 520 last year.. I'm gonna have a look at a few scripts and hope there's something I could come up in :rolleyes: Either way I'm happy enough!

Your boy TSMGUY got 560 points. Pretty ****ing drunk already ayyyyyyy.

Shout outs to siebey123, EdressSidiqi, DublinArnie, randylonghorn, adam903939494949 (not his actual name lol), Spurious and countless others who I am to drunk to remember right now.

Boards.ie has been incredibly helpful and I owe you guys a great deal. Hope everyone's happy with their results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Your boy TSMGUY got 560 points. Pretty ****ing drunk already ayyyyyyy.

Shout outs to siebey123, EdressSidiqi, DublinArnie, randylonghorn, adam903939494949 (not his actual name lol), Spurious and countless others who I am to drunk to remember right now.

Boards.ie has been incredibly helpful and I owe you guys a great deal. Hope everyone's happy with their results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done TSMGUY!! So proud ahahah

Advertisement