Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert results thread 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

lalabear53 wrote: »
    Got 585 and my first choice is only 460. I am seriously regretting not putting down a course with higher points eg Dentistry or Pharmacy. Any advice?
    Take a year abroad and explore your interests, then apply to cao next year with higher points courses?
    Just beware that with the change in points scheme nex year, your points could potentially go down or up. So you should probably calculate your points under the new points scheme just to see what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Got 585 and my first choice is only 460. I am seriously regretting not putting down a course with higher points eg Dentistry or Pharmacy. Any advice?

Do you actually want to do pharmacy or dentistry or is it because you got high points that would want to do them? If you are happy with your first choice do that. If not, think about your options for next year but be aware that point requirements may change next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no rule says if you get high points you have to apply for a high points course.
    Have you any interest in spending your working life looking at rotten choppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

My first choice is Accounting! Which I liked at school but I feel like I may find the course easy after I have received such a high leaving cert score!

I was also thinking of becoming an actuary but im not sure is it possible to change courses at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

My first choice is Accounting! Which I liked at school but I feel like I may find the course easy after I have received such a high leaving cert score!

I was also thinking of becoming an actuary but im not sure is it possible to change courses at this stage
    Wow you're interesed in a lot of things. Well Actuarial Science consists of a lot of Maths, Statistics, Economics and Programming. If you think you will be fine with all of that then at least try and change but that course is in big demand in a lot of colleges and I doubt you would be able to go into it as someone who didn't originally apply for it. But If you can't get in and you truly want to do it, you could always take a year out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I'm dying to know what Edress98 got lol. Get in here, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Got 580, first choice is Pharmacy in Trinity at ~550 last year.

Buzzing to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Can someone help me?

You get 420 points, and you have a 375 course as 7th choice and a 425 course as 8th choice (both same college) - come Monday, you get an offer for your 7th choice.

Is there any way and any routes that will enable you to get the 425 course (maybe transfer, 2nd round if points drop?) or even transfer throughout the year in the same college?

Asking for a friend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't think so, which is why the CAO keep banging on about putting courses in order of preference, not points. You can never move down the CAO list of choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Can someone help me?

You get 420 points, and you have a 375 course as 7th choice and a 425 course as 8th choice (both same college) - come Monday, you get an offer for your 7th choice.

Is there any way and any routes that will enable you to get the 425 course (maybe transfer, 2nd round if points drop?) or even transfer throughout the year in the same college?

Asking for a friend.

Your friend should ring the college's admissions office for more information :) But internal transfers do happen! In UL for example, you can transfer from one course to another by 1) having enough CAO points for that course and there also has to be a space available. 2) If you didn't get enough points, you would have to be 20 points within this year's minimum cut off and have a QCA of 2.6 in the first semester and then you'll be considered for transfer. It mightn't be the same for all colleges though!

But your friend should definitely give them a ring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ismiselaurie

Kevin1220 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if I reject maynooth in the first round offers, would I get Galway for the 2nd round of offers then?

Hey thanks for the reply but the main problem is I got accommodation for Galway but didn't apply for maynooth .....
    There's new accomodation in Maynooth that will be available as of October. Have a look at their website, it's under the accomodation section.

Advertisement