Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert results thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

siebey123 wrote: »
    Well done TSMGUY!! So proud ahahah
    Got an A2 in history thanks to you, Siebey! Love you guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Got an A2 in history thanks to you, Siebey! Love you guys!!!

Thats frickin amazing!!! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Well done to everyone.

Its a long time since I did my leaving cert and, although there may be some who are disappointed with their results, you can take it from me that its really not the end of the world if you didn't do as well as you had hoped. There are a multitude of options out there if you didn't get the points you hoped for.

Above all else, if you're upset you should speak to your parents or a loved one. And hug someone, preferably not a stranger.

Just don't do anything stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kevin1220

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but i got 370 in my LC and i got enough points for Maynooth and Galway, since I put Maynooth as my higher preference on CAO, does that mean i won't receive an offer from Galway? This is because I would prefer to go to Galway after receiving my result.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Kevin1220 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but i got 370 in my LC and i got enough points for Maynooth and Galway, since I put Maynooth as my higher preference on CAO, does that mean i won't receive an offer from Galway? This is because I would prefer to go to Galway after receiving my result.

If you got enough points for Maynooth and Maynooth is above Galway then you will get Maynooth.

You can't pick and choose. That's why it's vital to put them down in order of preference.

You can always just not accept Maynooth, take a year out and reapply for Galway next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I don't know why I even bothered to go here but I got 400 points and was hoping to do architecture. I am 101% sure that I wouldn't get an offer. I'm just like lost and confused and my head's in space. I've told everyone that I am pleased with my results and I am
    Contented but to be honest I want. I was hoping to get 500 but I'm really far off. I don't know what to do now as I was a bit complacent. I'm just faking it because to be confident is better than to look like a pity and I dont want their sympathy either. I'm trying to fake it 'til I make it but wow. It's not easy.

I want an Ice cream and a hug

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Your boy TSMGUY got 560 points. Pretty ****ing drunk already ayyyyyyy.

Shout outs to siebey123, EdressSidiqi, DublinArnie, randylonghorn, adam903939494949 (not his actual name lol), Spurious and countless others who I am to drunk to remember right now.

Boards.ie has been incredibly helpful and I owe you guys a great deal. Hope everyone's happy with their results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! What course you looking for? Thanks to you too!

I don't know why I even bothered to go here but I got 400 points and was hoping to do architecture. I am 101% sure that I wouldn't get an offer. I'm just like lost and confused and my head's in space. I've told everyone that I am pleased with my results and I am
    Contented but to be honest I want. I was hoping to get 500 but I'm really far off. I don't know what to do now as I was a bit complacent. I'm just faking it because to be confident is better than to look like a pity and I dont want their sympathy either. I'm trying to fake it 'til I make it but wow. It's not easy.

400 points is still really good, be proud of that. It's annoying you didn't get what you want but if Architecture is what you want to do, you'll just need to find another way.

Did you apply for UL Architecture? Last year it was 390 plus a portfolio. Maybe if you don't get what you want next year, take a gap year to apply for UL Architecture?

Unfortunately I can't give you ice cream or a hug via boards :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I know how you feel! I got 405 and I'm 145% I won't get an offer for any of the nursing courses I put down and I'm literally so lost and confused rn too. But I may get an offer for a language-based course on my CAO and oddly enough, languages were my highest results so maybe nursing just isn't for me :) My English teacher was even confused as to why I want to do nursing so bad when I'm clearly linguistic af.

Basically, what's for you won't pass you. 400 points is amazing, you should be so proud of yourself.

And don't beat yourself down like I did, bursting into tears the second I finished counting up my points. You may get your course come Monday! You never know. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

adam240610 wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    English at Cambridge. Got my second A1 in English so if they don't let me in **** 'em!
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Thanks Permabear, you brainy Ivy League bastard! When my hangover's gone I'll get started on that Beowulf;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RachelAC

Anybody know if primary teaching is supposed to go up or down? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

RachelAC wrote: »
    Anybody know if primary teaching is supposed to go up or down? :/

I'm hoping it'll go down. I got 465.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Driminagh

Anyone know if commerce in Galway is going up or down. My son has just 5 points to spare so if it goes up he is in bother

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

LC2016 wrote: »
    I'm hoping it'll go down. I got 465.

Hope it goes down or stays same. Got 470 ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

I got 570, which leaves me with a healthy 30 points to spare for my first choice. Super pleased, so I am

louisoc wrote: »
    I got 570, which leaves me with a healthy 30 points to spare for my first choice. Super pleased, so I am
    All the cool kids get 560:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bankuser12

Anyone know what the points for dental hygiene could be this year? last year was 360 really hoping they stay like that!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

echolima wrote: »
    Side-note, anyone see the Chinese diver who won the 3m last night, his name is Cao Yuan. CAO wins gold at the Olympics the night before results :P
    I'm still convinced that lad is an android! >_>

I know he's a small lad anyway, which probably helps, but he was sliding into the water like a wraith!

Well done to all who are happy with their results (actual points are irrelevant, once they open the door you wanted).

My sympathies to those who are disappointed / may have missed out on their dream for the moment, but remember, as others have stressed, that there are usually more roundabout routes to get where you want to go.

And I'll guarantee that at least one or two of you will end up going a different direction, loving it, and looking back in a few years ans saying "what tf was I thinking?! ... that wouldn't have suited me at all!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Maynooth is a lovely college though, so don't be too disheartened. It's only an hour bus journey to Dublin so you have the whole capital city at your disposal, but the town itself is made up almost entirely of students so there's a great atmosphere

I went to Maynooth for my undergrad and NUIG for my postgrad. They're both great Universities.

The college itself was great when I went there 10 years ago, and it's only improved since then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Akrasia wrote: »
    Maynooth is a lovely college though, so don't be too disheartened. It's only an hour bus journey to Dublin so you have the whole capital city at your disposal, but the town itself is made up almost entirely of students so there's a great atmosphere

I went to Maynooth for my undergrad and NUIG for my postgrad. They're both great Universities.

The college itself was great when I went there 10 years ago, and it's only improved since then

I second this. Maynooth is absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kevin1220

TMJM96 wrote: »
    If you got enough points for Maynooth and Maynooth is above Galway then you will get Maynooth.

You can't pick and choose. That's why it's vital to put them down in order of preference.

You can always just not accept Maynooth, take a year out and reapply for Galway next year.
    Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if I reject maynooth in the first round offers, would I get Galway for the 2nd round of offers then?
    Akrasia wrote: »

Hey thanks for the reply but the main problem is I got accommodation for Galway but didn't apply for maynooth .....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if I reject maynooth in the first round offers, would I get Galway for the 2nd round of offers then?
    No.

Please read the CAO offers thread at the top of the forum, or your CAO handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭quirkista

Hey thanks for the reply but the main problem is I got accommodation for Galway but didn't apply for maynooth .....
    Why didn't you apply for accommodation for Maynooth over Galway, considering that the course in Maynooth is higher on your list despite the fact that you prefer the course in Galway? You must put your course choices in order of preference

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

Got 510 and my course was 415 last year (and only 365 the year before) so yay! I honestly thought I had done awful and it was the worst two years of my life - the stress and anxiety was unreal - just glad it's all over now and absolutely delighted with my results!
    Congrats to everyone on here and I wish you all the best on Monday :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 4 unluckybud

I got 390 and was really surprised and disappointed. Does anyone think/know if Social Care in D.I.T is expected to come down from 400? And it's my 5th option (and only option now lol) would I even be offered it???? Thanks x

unluckybud wrote: »
    I got 390 and was really surprised and disappointed. Does anyone think/know if Social Care in D.I.T is expected to come down from 400? And it's my 5th option (and only option now lol) would I even be offered it???? Thanks x

It's very difficult to predict points, the only way is to look at previous years and see if there's a fluctuation.

390 is still a good leaving cert. Take a look at the second round for Level 8 and Level 7 courses. Maybe there's a Level 7 that will lead to your first choice Level 8? Maybe do a PLC?

If you were disappointed you should view your scripts and see if rechecking a paper will bring you up!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Got myself a lovely aul 585 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

Got 585 and my first choice is only 460. I am seriously regretting not putting down a course with higher points eg Dentistry or Pharmacy. Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

lalabear53 wrote: »
    Got 585 and my first choice is only 460. I am seriously regretting not putting down a course with higher points eg Dentistry or Pharmacy. Any advice?

Take a year abroad and explore your interests, then apply to cao next year with higher points courses?

Advertisement