Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of a border poll?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You will hear plenty of promises and scaremongering, if you have any basic understanding of politics you wouldn't be gloating just yet.

Who knows how long May will last even

Ha, May is an established Tory insider who said all the right things about Brexit, appeals to female voters and is as tough as old wellies to boot, she won't be going anywhere soon. ;)

Especially since her main rival is am eccentric geriatric commie with no party. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Ha, May is an established Tory insider who said all the right things about Brexit, appeals to female voters and is as tough as old wellies to boot, she won't be going anywhere soon. ;)

Especially since her main rival is am eccentric geriatric commie with no party. :D

The pollsters, ie bookies, can't call an election right, such a mess the kingdom is in.
    May will have to go to the country sooner or later, we'll see. You are calling it early so I'll call bluster on your opinion.

The pollsters, ie bookies, can't call an election right, such a mess the kingdom is in.
    May will have to go to the country sooner or later, we'll see. You are calling it early so I'll call bluster on your opinion.

Call what you will but if you're calling May losing an election to a non-unuonist I'm afraid you're likely calling to the wind friend.

Call what you will but if you're calling May losing an election to a non-unuonist I'm afraid you're likely calling to the wind friend.

She will go on issues, depending on result strengths the policy will get adjusted. She doesn't strike me as a Maggie, so I expect adjustment.
    Britain is an unpredictable mess right now, I wouldn't rule out a change either.
    Media don't seem clued in at all to feelings in the UK

She will go on issues, depending on result strengths the policy will get adjusted. She doesn't strike me as a Maggie, so I expect adjustment.
    Britain is an unpredictable mess right now, I wouldn't rule out a change either.
    Media don't seem clued in at all to feelings in the UK

And you are? :D I'm calling you calling to the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Who knows how high up Frances is... He has his ear to the ground I tells ya. He knows things that others don't.

The Brexit thing scares him but don't let that fool you.

But seriously Theresa doesn't sound like the sort of women who will take any ****. A proud conservative and unionist as she says herself. No joy there for the republicans it seems.... Shame.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

''geriatric''...that's a bit ageist.
    I'll have you know he was born in 1949 the same year as Bruce Springsteen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Zxclnic wrote: »
    ''geriatric''...that's a bit ageist.
    I'll have you know he was born in 1949 the same year as Bruce Springsteen.:)
    Gerry "I was not in the IRA" (lol) Adams is older than that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

timthumbni wrote: »
    A proud conservative and unionist as she says herself.

I wonder if May is the 'new breed of Tory' this Unionist fella was talking about back in the day.

"I went down to the Houses of Parliament during the debate around the Anglo Irish Agreement and I heard ... Unionist politicians making very powerful speeches ... about principle and sacrifice, talking about the Somme and the commitment the Unionist people made to the Empire and to Britain. In response to that I heard them being laughed at, and they weren't being laughed at by left-wing labour MP's, they were being laughed at by this new breed of Tories"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xZJVYhAc4#t=10m28s

Your Unionism will not protect you from Realpolitik and the Tories, you seem to admire, are probably those who'll throw you under the bus quickest. This unrequited love unionism has for England is truly piteous.

I'm actually saying, nobody is or seems able to call what will happen in the kingdom. That I includes your good self, you did, after all fall for a bit of cheap spin released to the media.

• Advertisement

I'm actually saying, nobody is or seems able to call what will happen in the kingdom.

In the past decade it has had a lot more stability than us and that looks set to continue. We had our bankers / politicians going mad, then the bailout, bertie hiding in a cupboard, massive economic and property crash ( much worse than UK's), emigration, IMF being called in, Troike, cutbacks, UK being the only country willing to lend us money, crisis in the Eurozone, tax increases, difficulty forming a government and now the gubberment on 10 weeks or whatever summer holidays. The UK has still better growth than the Eurozone. The crisis in Greece and Italy and Spain and Portugal will bring down the EC yet, wait and see.

I wonder if May is the 'new breed of Tory' this Unionist fella was talking about back in the day.

"I went down to the Houses of Parliament during the debate around the Anglo Irish Agreement and I heard ... Unionist politicians making very powerful speeches ... about principle and sacrifice, talking about the Somme and the commitment the Unionist people made to the Empire and to Britain. In response to that I heard them being laughed at, and they weren't being laughed at by left-wing labour MP's, they were being laughed at by this new breed of Tories"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xZJVYhAc4#t=10m28s

Your Unionism will not protect you from Realpolitik and the Tories, you seem to admire, are probably those who'll throw you under the bus quickest. This unrequited love unionism has for England is truly piteous.

You keep repeating this. You really like this don't you junk?? Meanwhile the current uk PM seems very happy to tell the world that it is the conservative and unionist party. Piteous?? Yes I'm sure you would like to think so. As I've said before I have a funny felling the uk PM doesn't really pay much attention to some butt hurt republican cheerleader from country ballygobackwards

You keep repeating this. You really like this don't you junk?? Meanwhile the current uk PM seems very happy to tell the world that it is the conservative and unionist party. Piteous?? Yes I'm sure you would like to think so. As I've said before I have a funny felling the uk PM doesn't really pay much attention to some butt hurt republican cheerleader from country ballygobackwards

She keeps teling us what she is. That's the easy stuff We have no idea what she will have to be.

We have no idea what she will have to be.
    Thats your problem. Did you ever have any idea what the UK prime minister was?

I saw a photo of Merkel the other day, she was really stressed up, wonder how long the EU will last without Britains contribution and what with millions of migrants being invited in by Merkel.

N.B. After Germany and Brussels telling us what to do and to repay their bankers, I wonder if there was a IRExit referendum who would win. Will we get paid for all the fish they took?

You keep repeating this. You really like this don't you junk??

It's certainly interesting.
    Meanwhile the current uk PM seems very happy to tell the world that it is the conservative and unionist party.

Yeah, I reckon that's a nod to the Scots which the English don't have a '+50% agrees and we're out' agreement. You keep holding onto those tenuous strands of hope for your unrequited love though if it keeps you happy.
    Piteous??

Yes piteous.
    As I've said before I have a funny felling the uk PM doesn't really pay much attention to some butt hurt republican cheerleader

I'm not annoyed by these issues Tim, certainly not enough to respond by trying to insult an entire country like you have.
    country ballygobackwards

I think you'll find that the south scores far higher than the north on just about every survey on human well-being so for you to describe it as 'Ballygobackwards' only underscores your own ignorance and prejudice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Conservatives have shown themselves to ally with NI unionists when it suits them. Don't be fooled thinking the UK, especially England will come riding to the rescue of NI unionism.

I'm not so sure unionists were thrilled when Maggie Thatcher signed the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

I think you'll find that the south scores far higher than the north on just about every survey on human well-being
    We certainly drink more than the UK per capita so I'll drink to that.;)
    We are a bit more superstitous too but thats no harm. Being a country recently bailed out by the IMF / EU / UK, we are entitled to our drink and demons.;)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Conservatives have shown themselves to ally with NI unionists when it suits them. Don't be fooled thinking the UK, especially England will come riding to the rescue of NI unionism.

I'm not so sure unionists were thrilled when Maggie Thatcher signed the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

I asked one unionist here did they feel sold out by Paisley and Trimble's capitulation after all the NEVER NEVER NEVER stuff and all I got was petty abuse.

The elephant in the room, you know!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Don't be fooled thinking the UK, especially England will come riding to the rescue of NI unionism.
    The UK has helped this little statelet many times over the years, and we were not even unionists.

maryishere wrote: »
    We certainly drink more than the UK per capita so I'll drink to that.;)
    We are a bit more superstitous too but thats no harm. Being a country recently bailed out by the IMF / EU / UK, we are entitled to our drink and demons.;)

Broken record.

• Advertisement

by Paisley and Trimble's capitulation

lol. It was the terrorists who had to surrender their weapons and give up their armed struggle. N. Ireland stayed part of the UK. Bobby Sands sacrifice was in vain.

lol. It was the terrorists who had to surrender their weapons and give up their armed struggle. N. Ireland stayed part of the UK. Bobby Sands sacrifice was in vain.

I never heard Bobby say NEVER NEVER NEVER ever. Ever stick to the point of the post ever Mary?

I never heard Bobby say NEVER NEVER NEVER ever. Ever stick to the point of the post ever Mary?
    lol. I never said Sands said never never never. You claimed there was capitulation by Paisley and Trimble. It was Sands side who capitulated. They had to surrender their weapons and semtex without any sign of achieving an inch of ground. No united Ireland. In fact they drove it further apart.

lol. It was the terrorists who had to surrender their weapons and give up their armed struggle.

Any video or photos of this momentous surrender? Surrender comes after defeat Mary and:

Army paper says IRA not defeated

Not in vain Mary. He got a street named after him in that well known bastion of democracy Iran. And a burger bar.... (And I'm serious here) I'm not actually taking the piss out of terrorist booby but there is an actual burger bar in Iran named after him.

Scrumptious...... And not disrespectful at all......

lol. I never said Sands said never never never. You claimed there was capitulation by Paisley and Trimble. It was Sands side who capitulated. They had to surrender their weapons and semtex without any sign of achieving an inch of ground. No united Ireland. In fact they drove it further apart.

The post referenced Paisley and Trimble, both of whom trumpeted NEVER NEVER NEVER. But capitulated so much that Ian and McGuiness became known as the Chuckle Brothers and they did what they said they would NEVER do.

Not in vain Mary. He got a street named after him in that well known bastion of democracy Iran. And a burger bar.... (And I'm serious here) I'm not actually taking the piss out of terrorist booby but there is an actual burger bar in Iran named after him.

Scrumptious...... And not disrespectful at all......

Well, at least he achieved something, having a street in Iran and a burger bar named after him. His comrades achieved nothing for all their years of sacrifice except having to surrender their weapons.
    When they did surrender their weapons/ put them beyond use, democratic people in the world would talk to Sinn Fein then.

Do not forget during his famous November 1985 speech at Belfast City Hall, Paisley, in his own style,said to the crowd:
    “Where do the terrorists operate from? From the Irish Republic, that’s where they come from. Where do the terrorists return to for sanctuary? To the Irish Republic.
    “And yet Mrs. Thatcher tells us that that Republic must have some say in our province.
    We say, "never, never, never, never."
    When the terrorists stopped operating it changed things.

Well, at least he achieved something, having a street in Iran and a burger bar named after him. His comrades achieved nothing for all their years of sacrifice except having to surrender their weapons.
    When they did surrender their weapons/ put them beyond use, democratic people in the world would talk to Sinn Fein then.
    s.

What is probably most insulting for the others who committed suicide was that no one remembers their names. Only Bobby got the limelight. Pretty disrespectful to the rest imo. Bobby is like the beckham of the England team.

Films, streets, burger bars . Is there no end to bobs talents???

When the terrorists stopped operating it changed things.

When they started bombing English cities, launching attacks on Downing street, closing down Heathrow, and basically damaging the English economy the English decided they'd had enough. It's a shame it had to come to that but one principle lesson should be learned from that: while people were shooting and bombing each other in the north the British and Irish governments didn't really give a ****.

• Advertisement

When you waffle to one another, the argument is won.

Advertisement