Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millennials...

Options

Comments

What's my interest in video games got to do with anything here?

No no, you started thread counting, so I was responding to that aspect.

I would have thought it obvious. I merely noted my 3 topics compared to your 600 or 700 on video games, and made the point that we all have our interests. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I would have thought it obvious. I merely noted my 3 topics compared to your 600 or 700 on video games, and made the point that we all have our interests. That's about it.

Is hating young people an interest, now? Would you list it on a dating profile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't think so. As I understand it, it is usually after 83 or so. At least that's what I was referring to.

Yeah, I had heard 1982 in something else too. I just remember being under the impression having been born in '86 that it referred to early 90s kids an onwards (those who would barely have any pre-2000 memories).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I didn't start thread counting, I wondered how many times you've started similar threads to this one - something you have done more than once. I don't know if you're trying to somehow put me down for having an interest in gaming, an interest that seems to be similar to your interest in darts from looking at your profile, not my bag but whatever you're into. The fact is I've never felt the need to repeatedly put down young people the way you do and start threads generalising about how awful a generation is based on a few dunderheads that you've met in passing. You really need to start adopting a live and live approach to the youth. Some are spanners, some aren't. Some will grow out of being spanners, some never will. Just leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I guess as kids their lives are more micromanaged than kids raised 50 years ago so they are less able to deal with conflict so their tolerances have been dialled way back. Im trying to raise my kids with a thick skin and that respect is earned and you don't get things handed to you on a plate. how many thousands of students are doing third level where their degree will not add any economic value to them? they will end up being 25 with no marketable skills
    At the lower end most working class jobs have been deskilled which makes it difficult to get out of the minimum wage trap.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Is hating young people an interest, now? Would you list it on a dating profile?

I've asked you questions on 2 posts now that you've ignored...are you a Millenial who doesn't like being questioned or challenged, refer to my first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This just a classic case of "Young people today eh?". People get older and find young people annoying because they don't have good taste in music and dress funny. The cycle continues.

i agree in principle that fashion ,trends, fads, music that the youth of today listen to will raise an eyebrow of their elders but this particular generation has the magnifying glass of social media, 3000 online "friends " and not having to wait for anything.

everyone is always contactable, you can't embarrass yourself in private anymore,
    everyones holiday or concert experience becomes knowledge to you while they are at it/on it.

most importantly ( I'm 32) some of us remember what it was like to be young before this all happened.

The people who grow up with a smartphone from age ten and snapchat etc being the norm, i worry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'm more an admirer of Gary Cooper.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

silverharp wrote: »
    I guess as kids their lives are more micromanaged than kids raised 50 years ago so they are less able to deal with conflict so their tolerances have been dialled way back. Im trying to raise my kids with a thick skin and that respect is earned and you don't get things handed to you on a plate. how many thousands of students are doing third level where their degree will not add any economic value to them? they will end up being 25 with no marketable skills
    At the lower end most working class jobs have been deskilled which makes it difficult to get out of the minimum wage trap.

Generation Xers myself included would want to have a serious look at how our kids are being reared or we're going to end up with a generation that will make the millennials look like steely eyed missile men who passed seal selection. Most Xers seem to spend an inordinate amount of effort to ensure Jack and Emma never encounter a moment's discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wearing self-indulgent tight tracksuit bottoms, jeans, well fitted jackets because they are afraid of looking the least bit overweight. Wearing sunglasses like arrogant un-Irish douchbags! Every single lad going around with big bulging muscles, imposing them on everyone else, wearing those tight v-necked t-shirts, the physical evidence of their self-focus and unnatural efforts to stave off insecurity but websites like Joe.ie etc. describe it as "becoming a 'better' man".. In reality they are fuelling the arms race of insecurity about appearance that social media had sparked. I can't imagine what kind of children are going to develop from the psychologically toxic world they are finding themselves born into!

Best thing I've read in quite a while. Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Zillah wrote: »
    I really don't get the impression that the OP is talking about getting distracted from his squat set by someone with a phone. I'm pretty sure he's just getting old and bitter and hates seeing happy healthy young people with bodies he'll never have.

My statement was an example of the self centered , the world revolves around X that is that groups of **** . who get in the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why do people throw around self centred like its something to be ashamed of?
    If you don't put yourself first, nobody else is going to

• Registered Users Posts: 16,453 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They definitely had an easier time growing than those of us who grew up in the 1970s/80s, Ireland was a bleak place to live back then, none of us were driving to school in a car daddy bought for us.

Free third level was unheard of and very few could afford to go to college.

You'd swear by some of the posts here nobody over 35 was paying back their loans and we all decided to give up work and all the debt was being left to the under 25s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

All of these generational buzz words are just lazy ways to stereotype and complain about people. If you hear someone talk about millenials, ask them what age range they're referring to, and you'll get varying answers every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

This is kinda the exact opposite of life as I've experienced it.

Granted, I do have a likeable face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You have to look after /out for yourself but self centred people always put their wishes and desires first at the expense of others, or over and above the needs of people who might be more deserving or more in need .
    When someone only ever thinks of themself it is a bad thing .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is kinda the exact opposite of life as I've experienced it.
    Ditto. Throughout my life I would have been screwed if many people had decided to just think of themselves first and over the same lifetime others would have been screwed if I had.
    Like anything toxicity is down to dosage. Self interest is healthy, self interest when it grows towards narcissism is unhealthy. Both for the individual and the society. And it is growing in Western society. Studies in the US have found the levels of narcissism increasing and where they go we tend to follow over time. hell the rates of narcissistic personality disorder have shown a very steep upswing and that's when it gets to the point of a pathology(and by god if you've ever had to deal with one of those truly toxic individuals… sweet jesus).

The fact is we're a social animal. We have grown and grown strong on the back of that. We have always had the "antisocial" and self centred and yep sometimes they have driven great things, but the majority don't. Like I say it's down to the dosage. A small minority to add spice, a large minority is too much for a society.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A few studies have linked the rise of narcissism in western societies to consumerism post-WWII. A society engrossed in consumption fails to think of the consequences for others. It certainly is on the rise, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Someone's been hurt in the past........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto. Throughout my life I would have been screwed if many people had decided to just think of themselves first and over the same lifetime others would have been screwed if I had.

Like anything toxicity is down to dosage. Self interest is healthy, self interest when it grows towards narcissism is unhealthy. Both for the individual and the society. And it is growing in Western society. Studies in the US have found the levels of narcissism increasing and where they go we tend to follow over time. hell the rates of narcissistic personality disorder have shown a very steep upswing and that's when it gets to the point of a pathology(and by god if you've ever had to deal with one of those truly toxic individuals… sweet jesus).

The fact is we're a social animal. We have grown and grown strong on the back of that. We have always had the "antisocial" and self centred and yep sometimes they have driven great things, but the majority don't. Like I say it's down to the dosage. A small minority to add spice, a large minority is too much for a society.

Just about the narcissism Wibbs.
    I question whether it is true narcissism.
    It strikes me as insecure narcissism. Basically on social media, everyone is looking toward what everyone else is doing as a standard. And then doing their best to emulate it.
    They're not going around comfortable in their own skin and genuinely loving themselves but always looking to others for what is acceptable.

Whether it's a celebrity (and it often is) or whatever.

I am always amazed by the unironic, earnest, unquestioning embrace of things like advertising/marketing/social media (where, lets be honest, you are the product) by millenials.

OK, as a Gen-Xer, like most Gen-Xers, i'm guilty of this to a degree. But at least every time i use a Google service or whatever, for convenience, at least at the back of my nineties mind, i'm thinking there's another tiny bit of my soul i'm giving up to the Borg. It isn't an all out embrace. There's a distance, a consideration on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

conorhal wrote: »
    That's true, but the millennials unlike the tiger cubs have grown up in an age where the individual has primacy in a way that wasn't the case in the 70's or 80's so their narcisism is much more visible as it's more acceptable.
    Aye, I am looking at just one angle in fairness - the employment prospects one. As a member of the "cub" generation, born (in my opinion) between the mid 70s and (also in my opinion) later than the early 80s - I am thinking even up as far as 87/88 (just about) - I look back at my sense of self entitlement during the boom years and chuckle a bit at my naive self importance. Of course we were all entitled to a job! And not a ****ty one either! We have degrees dammit!

Oh what a land we were in for. :D

Whereas I think the "millennials" have had "Jobs are hard to get, make the best of whatever you have" instilled in them due to being late school/college age for 2008 when things came crashing down.

At the same time though, I remember, as a kid, Ireland being a much less plentiful and much more dreary place, whereas millennials (in general) would not have a clue of that Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'd have nothing against Millennials if they'd shut the **** up and put their phones away during gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

For me, self-care is something to be proud of.
    The most important relationship anyone can have is arguably with oneself.
    But i don't think Millenials necessarily feel that way. They value the social over anything individual i would have thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I'd have nothing against Millennials if they'd shut the **** up and put their phones away during gigs.

Unfortunately everybody does that nowadays, not just the Millennials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You have to look after /out for yourself but self centred people always put their wishes and desires first at the expense of others, or over and above the needs of people who might be more deserving or more in need .
    When someone only ever thinks of themself it is a bad thing .

Nobody is more deserving of happiness than yourself. When you are making decisions, I believe you should make the decision that benefits you the most. The only time I think that's bad is when you're making a decision to spite another person rather than making yourself happy.

Thing is, you teach people how to treat you. If you don't value your own self worth and happiness, it becomes a given that someone else's happiness is above yours, and that's wrong. It's not.

Concentrate on making yourself happy and worry less about why putting filtered selfies to gain likes from Instagram followers makes someone else feel validated, or concentrate on your own goals instead of thinking the guy in the top two sizes too small for him is a knob.

So what if someone's narcissistic? As long as it's not impacting you putting yourself first who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm honestly confused about the whole millennials thing.
    So I googled it (yes how sad :o) and it says anyone who was in young adulthood in 2000. So then I search young adulthood (again, how sad am I :pac:) and it says that young adulthood ranges from 20 to 39 (roughly) So what in the feck are we talking about here? Anyone currently ranged 36 to 56? :pac:

I thought millennials meant like some kid born in 2000 who is now 16. About to enter adulthood :confused:

I'm honestly confused about the whole millennials thing.
    So I googled it (yes how sad :o) and it says anyone who was in young adulthood in 2000. So then I search young adulthood (again, how sad am I :pac:) and it says that young adulthood ranges from 20 to 39 (roughly) So what in the feck are we talking about here? Anyone currently ranged 36 to 56? :pac:

I thought millennials meant like some kid born in 2000 who is now 16. About to enter adulthood :confused:
    Thought it was people born from the end of the 80s onwards - people in young adulthood by 2000 are whom I thought were referred to as Generation X (born from the mid 60s to early/mid 80s). One of those buzz terms that has a vague definition I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thought it was people born from the end of the 80s onwards - people in young adulthood by 2000 are whom I thought were referred to as Generation Y (born from the mid 60s to early/mid 80s). One of those buzz terms that has a vague definition I suppose.

I think you are right. It's so vague and just so confusing...

Generation X I mean. Generation Y is another term for millennials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Generation X I mean. Generation Y is another term for millennials.

iGeneration

Advertisement