Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millennials...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I think the "tiger cub" age group (born between mid 70s and second half of 80s) can be shockingly self entitled and lacking personal responsibility. If anything, "millennials" haven't had the same luxuries.

Then there are the people of all generations with shocking self entitlement and lack of personal responsibility, which is to do with attitude and upbringing and values rather than age.

Love your username - cute!

What about people like myself who were born in 1970? Or Mr Fluff who is a product of the 60's? I've never heard the "tiger cub" grouping, unless it's related to the celtic tiger of yore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Love your username - cute!

What about people like myself who were born in 1970? Or Mr Fluff who is a product of the 60's? I've never heard the "tiger cub" grouping, unless it's related to the celtic tiger of yore?
    Thanks :D Yeah I'm only referring to "Celtic tiger" cubs. Tis a pile of vague bollox really. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Wasn't generation x a Pepsi ad? :confused:

I'm honestly confused about the whole millennials thing.
    So I googled it (yes how sad :o) and it says anyone who was in young adulthood in 2000. So then I search young adulthood (again, how sad am I :pac:) and it says that young adulthood ranges from 20 to 39 (roughly) So what in the feck are we talking about here? Anyone currently ranged 36 to 56? :pac:

I thought millennials meant like some kid born in 2000 who is now 16. About to enter adulthood :confused:

Usually it means someone who entered young adulthood in 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Every past generation thinks the current generation is degenerate so by that reasoning should we not have become obliterated by now. It's like the summers long ago syndrome. Even my mother didn't like me reading Coupland or anything considered countercultural.

Youth will always be expected to conform which is exactly what they do amidst their teenage angst and striving to be 'different'. They all end being cut from the same cloth and adhere to the same current trends. It's all just circular with a new label slapped on it each generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thought it was people born from the end of the 80s onwards - people in young adulthood by 2000 are whom I thought were referred to as Generation X (born from the mid 60s to early/mid 80s). One of those buzz terms that has a vague definition I suppose.

That's shifted me into a different category now.

I don't know whether I should be at the gym or mocking myself for thinking about going!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

This post has been deleted.

I think the generation after the Millennials are being called Gen Alpha. Although there is a general consensus that the world is changing so quickly now that 20 year groupings are too long a time for their to be any collective experience. It's likely that today's 13 year olds and 3 year olds will have far too different a life experience to share a generational culture that shapes a shared attitude.

Obviously that's always been true to some extent. I'm a young Gen Xer and undoubtedly share some traits with older Millenials. At 37, my life experience has more in common with people of 34 than of 52. Though being a teenager in the early 90s when most Gen Xers were adults and shaping the culture has moulded aspects of my personality in ways that absolutely reflect that generation. I'm cynical and sarcastic in ways that people a few years younger than me may not be.

But something that will be very different for the upcoming generations after the Millenials is that their parents are mainly Gen Xers. So they have the advantage of having parents who understand technology and social media but retain a healthy distrust of it. My son is 3 and I worry about how social media will effect his life and how he won't have the freedom to make an eejit out of himself in his teens like I did. So I will raise him to be prepared for that. I'm conscious of the lack of outdoor freedom that today's children have compared to previous generations, so I and my friends are taking steps to give our children as much outdoor freedom as possible. We have grown up seeing the negative sides of modern parenting (along with the many positives) and how they have effected today's young adults from a detached view point and so have the power to counter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's always nice to log onto boards and read sweeping generalizations about me and all of my peers. A lot of them as idiotic as anything any 'millenial' could ever hope to come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's always nice to log onto boards and read sweeping generalizations about me and all of my peers. A lot of them as idiotic as anything any 'millenial' could ever hope to come out with.

Do you need a safe space? Is this triggering you?

jk jk :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

One thing ye should probably know is that we millenials actually feed off of negativity.
    It makes us stronger and lengthens our lives, by hating us you play into our hands.

Checkmate every other generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

As a millennial on the latter side of their twenties, I do not get this generation whatsoever

The men act, walk. talk and behave like women

The women are hypersensitive

They absolutely 'love' themselves, (I believe another poster pointed out they all think they have their own reality show). The narcissism and self obsession is a truly disgusting trait

The mental health issues are off the charts too (two people I grew up with killed themselves in the last three months, one took his baby son with him :( )

It also seems their resilience levels are low and coping mechanisms somewhat inefficient

At a generalisation, I just think this generation are not well equipped for life..Many of them crumble when the going gets tough

Advertisement