Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millennials...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

I am 26 op and I agree with you that people my age or younger now possess way more contemptible traits than those who were similar ages 20 years ago.

How do you know that people aged 26 nowadays possess so many more contemptible traits now than those 20 years ago if you were barely in primary school at the time?

There's a curious dichotomy developing of, on one hand, the culture of people you are describing with such disdain- those with with a serious focus on self-appearance- and then on the other hand the culture of people like yourself who seem to abhor such focus on appearance. Anything other than boot-cut jeans and a chequered shirt seems at risk at being labelled 'un-Irish'. I'm sure they both find the other contemptible.

And the phrase 'un-Irish douchebags' makes me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think the "tiger cub" age group (born between mid 70s and second half of 80s) can be shockingly self entitled and lacking personal responsibility. If anything, "millennials" haven't had the same luxuries.

Then there are the people of all generations with shocking self entitlement and lack of personal responsibility, which is to do with attitude and upbringing and values rather than age.

If anything millenials born mid 90's to late 200o's are entitled as they grew up in the good times so think thats how it always should be, people born in the 80's early 90's can at least appreciate what it was like before the tiger to some extent

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Absolute t*ss8rs. Self centered and soft & spineless!

Everything handed to them and they can't deal with hardships - even though today's society does have it's own pressures and problems. Things are harder today in some aspects

We all can be guilty of it, even before the smartphone, the mobile phone is rarely out of their hands. At a restaurant, night club, gym while taking up space or on the benches (Jesus the times I have been tempted to smash them with a dumb -bell) Their lives can't be that great where a conversation needs to last 25 minutes to the same morons that they were talking to that morning . They tell you how much they can lift (bruh) yet get them onto a pitch they can not play and even pull up with the smallest of injuries.

Idiots are famous for no reason. Purcell, how is she a model! Big alien head slapped in layers of make up. At least Andrea Roche had some natural beauty

Oh, and remember the boom years. The adults the way they flaunted their wealth (hey good luck have fun). The fawning by the likes of "journalists" Barry Egan, dying to tell us how great Sean Dunne and his "gorgeous" "sassy" trophy wife was, and er, Ger Keane and Desperate Dan. Good god. They made car sales men like Bill Cullen look like mega successful men akin to even Alan Sugar or Bill Gates. Who were any of those on the Irish version of Dragons Den , a coffee franchise owner, a guy who owned Black Tie (now out of business) , a women who with DJ Carey (that did not go well for both sadly) .

Then you had these lads http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/bankrupt-stokes-twins-must-hand-over-detailed-list-of-property-holdings-34573877.html . Again, let us not begrudge people who take financial risks and try to make themselves better, but it is how people went down the route of failure that makes is shocking

"It was subsequently revealed that ......continued to use their company expense accounts to go on lavish holidays and buy Gucci suits, even though their businesses were crumbling." ;)

I know a Lecture and PhD holder, who is no older than many of the senior students , tell me that some first years (third level Uni) had their parents ring in to complain about Johnnie not being able to do a subject (which was elective) . The subject was only available depending on demand or it clashed with other core subjects was the explanation. Parents coming from the other side of the country to do your batting, at Third level!!!

well said, all very true or at least true as I see and have experienced it.
    a coupled of dislikes on their Facebook or new snazzy haircut and they're self harming! The thought of a hard days work would kill them, they're all looking to be the next dot com millionaire/on line fashion blogging self promoting ****wit!! Life would be better if their kind would set sail into obscurity with all the other squeaky wheels and empty vessels!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a funny tweet I just saw

The Independent Verified account 
    @Independent
    Millennials outraged over stereotypical TV show about 'easily offended' millennials

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

To be fair though, hearing another Angela's Ashes story from a boomer lad who got the chance to run and feck up the shop during the Celtic Tiger and left a big pile of ****e in his wake is something else altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In your experience, what are the characteristics of the typical Millenial?

I find that many of them have a chronic lack of responsibility. If they do something wrong at work, it's a shrug of the shoulders. If they screw up in life, same thing...although if they perceive the slightest wrong to them, it's drama and strops all round. Just an inability to perform simple tasks. I think this may be down to them being the children of baby boomers, and treated in a way that other generations before had not experienced.

An obsession with looks, physique, appearance. See the way gyms now focus on the body rather than training to run faster and lift more, or simple athleticism, and there are suggestions that steroid use is frequent. We live in an era when some people actually look to the likes of Roz Purcell for advice. Scary. Presumably linked to use of social media where images are so crucial to communication. Can us Gen Xers imagine the laughter if you went into school with pics of your lunch and a dozen selfies every day?

An inability to accept criticism or challenge. I had one person at the upper end of the Millenial age range recently get very annoyed at my dismissal of the gluten free fad, and say I had just told her that her parents, siblings and everyone she knew was suffering from a fad. I pointed out that the prevalence suggested both self diagnosis and over diagnosis. Cue amusing tantrum and silence. Again, probably linked to their being the children of doting baby boomers.

On the plus side, they are generally more liberal and tolerant than preceding generations...though Gen Xers may argue that they were the generation where taboos were really smashed.

Anyone note any other characteristics? Incidentally, I know that this is purely based on observation, I am not claiming this is a sociology study. Oh and us Gen Xers are aware we have flaws, pointing to them can be a matter for another thread if any Millenials would like to open one.

How many threads have you already started about this very issue. You really don't like the youth of today at all.

For the record, I don't think they're any better or worse than any other generation. My generation was as full of self-centred pricks just as this one is - there was just less visibility to it due to the lack of social media. Don't worry, the millennials will grow up, mature somewhat and give out about the generation that comes after them, complaining bitterly about how precious they are, their inability to do an honest day's work and their complete lack of common sense. Just like the previous generation to mine done about us and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

A lot of these posts are very long. I'm beginning to feel outraged and a little weepy.

Could someone shorten them please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Op there are some good 'milennials' as well, don't brand everyone the same! Anyways man I suggest you read a book to take your mind off of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

I think the "tiger cub" age group (born between mid 70s and second half of 80s) can be shockingly self entitled and lacking personal responsibility. If anything, "millennials" haven't had the same luxuries.

Then there are the people of all generations with shocking self entitlement and lack of personal responsibility, which is to do with attitude and upbringing and values rather than age.

If you were born in the eighties I've got hugs for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I see the Milenials as being the first generation to have to settle for a standard of living that will, for the first time, be worse than their parents.

Lower salaries, less pension entitlements (particualrly Defined Benefit ones which are locked out to new entrants in many instances these days), home ownership being a pipedream for many etc.

They might have had it better growing up but in adulthood it seems like they (we) will have many a legitimate complaint.

There is undoubtedly an increased interest in physique/fitness although why this bothers anyone bar jealousy I don't know. There is certainly an overemphasis on selfies and social media for spurious activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

That's true, but the millennials unlike the tiger cubs have grown up in an age where the individual has primacy in a way that wasn't the case in the 70's or 80's so their narcisism is much more visible as it's more acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

noodler wrote: »
    I see the Milenials as being the first generation to have to settle for a standard of living that will, for the first time, be worse than their parents.

Lower salaries, less pension entitlements (particualrly Defined Benefit ones which are locked out to new entrants in many instances these days), home ownership being a pipedream for many etc.

They might have had it better growing up but in adulthood it seems like they (we) will have many a legitimate complaint.

There is undoubtedly an increased interest in physique/fitness although why this bothers anyone bar jealousy I don't know. There is certainly an overemphasis on selfies and social media for spurious activities.

No one takes issue with the increase of physique or fitness. It is encouraged.

Just, don't be getting in our way at the squat rack with your mobile in your hand and staring at a mirror, dying the pull yourself senseless. Vanity is not cool, man, and most certainly is not manly! Leave that rubbish to the women! Nor is it manly that a man of apparent great physique gets uttering man handled and knocked around like a rag doll on the football /rugby field thereafter. A bunch of Perfume Ponc**

Taking Steroids ain't cool either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ThepoolEIRE88

I would think Paris Hilton has very little Humanity left and her little dog has no instinct left

Paris's dog (the one that sticks out of her bag)
    probably gives About as much **** about Paris as Paris gives about Humanity ''very little''

There's a good reason a lot off people love former street dogs as pets,because that dog will be the
    most, loving.loyal , intelligent and generally with quite a strong interesting character

somebody with a great job and a nice suit gloating about his achievements I find as annoying as
    somebody with no achievements blaming the world for his problems , for me they're cut with the same cloth
    I don't know why I feel like this ,maybe it's my instinct

There's are certain type of swagger that women find attractive in men
    but the same type of swagger in a women is a turn of for me
    I don't know why I feel like this ,maybe it's my instinct

but I trust my instinct for now ,it's how i navigate through the real & the fake ,
    but sure I would like too remove that plank from my own eye ,that's what i'm trying to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'd split your question into 2 , what do you do as individual parents? or what can society do? as individual parents you can try glide your particular kids into a path where they will do well in their work and private life.

What can society do? not sure, Japan looks like it is suffering a case of the Mouse Utopia experiment and maybe their society needs to crumble a bit until they get over their demographic hump. At the end of the day people want to feel useful, if the traditional opportunities are in short supply then people become destructive or tune out or stay in a weird perma-teenager phase

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭alias no.9

[Dquote="Zillah;100637774"]I didn't mention the US, though, you did. I'm referring to the rates of Irish young people getting mortgages (down), zthe rates of young Irish people starting families (later than ever due to economic insecurity), and z rates of emigration (higher than they've been since the mid-80s) . I'm talking about the scandal of the Jobbridge scheme, where well-established middle-aged people with their own companies or generous salaries expect young people to literally work for free in exchange for the privilege of being able to put anything on their CV. The generation above millennials, in this country, like many (yes, including the US), have accumulated huge amounts of wealth - a lot more than the millennials could expect to ever get.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Not at all. My generation is terrible. Social media has enabled our self indulgent narcissistic tendencies as human beings to explode, we live in a digital world that may or may not exist, we have a tendency to get very annoyed about stupid stuff for short periods then completely forget about those things cos something new came along.

On the other hand, we're not nearly as terrible as a significant minority of your generation, who, as you continually slide into irrelevancy, become more and more bitter about it, and decide the best way to vent that frustration is to claim how terrible we are, missing the fact of course that one shouldn't judge an entire generation of people based on anecdotal evidence of people you've met, or people who post on boards.ie, or comment sections.

I venture in fact that if smartphones, selfies, the internet in its current form, had existed for 'generation X' you guys wouldn't be that much different from us. You're not that different already in fact, you just like to think you are cos it makes you feel smug and like you're not getting old and less useful. So you do you.

awaits inevitable 'millennial tantrum' comment from OP

The best bit is your spoiler. You've pretty much lived up to the stereotype painted in the OP.

How many threads have you already started about this very issue...

Less than 1/200th of the number you have started about Playstation games.

Hey, I like sociology and society...and you like shoot 'em ups and Sonic...each to their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

THEY WEREN'T EVEN ALIVE FOR ITALIA 90!!!

I honestly have trouble wrapping my head around that fact whenever I meet someone under 26
    Actually, Millenials are I think people born from around 1980 - 2000, so around 36 and under. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually, Millenials are I think people born from around 1980 - 2000, so around 36 and under. :p

That makes me one. Just.

I never knew I was anything like the description of me in the OP.

Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't mind 'millenials'. (I guess I am one?) The only real phenomena that concerns me is the sheer lack of understanding of their own personal privacy. Specifically via technology. Some understanding of encryption and basic anonymity habits online would seem like vital parenting skills these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Paris's dog (the one that sticks out of her bag)

Come on now let's not speak ill of the dead.

Rest in peace Tinkerbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lt Dan wrote: »
    No one takes issue with the increase of physique or fitness. It is encouraged.

Just, don't be getting in our way at the squat rack with your mobile in your hand and staring at a mirror, dying the pull yourself senseless. Vanity is not cool, man, and most certainly is not manly! Leave that rubbish to the women! Nor is it manly that a man of apparent great physique gets uttering man handled and knocked around like a rag doll on the football /rugby field thereafter. A bunch of Perfume Ponc**

Taking Steroids ain't cool either.

I really don't get the impression that the OP is talking about getting distracted from his squat set by someone with a phone. I'm pretty sure he's just getting old and bitter and hates seeing happy healthy young people with bodies he'll never have.

Zillah wrote: »
    I really don't get the impression that the OP is talking about getting distracted from his squat set by someone with a phone. I'm pretty sure he's just getting old and bitter and hates seeing happy healthy young people with bodies he'll never have.

:D:D

Happy out with my body. Another 30 mile mountain run this weekend. Proper sport, no one will be looking at a mirror, insisting it was all done on chicken and protein shakes...:D

Is that what you do Zillah. Is that why this topic seems to have you animated? Do you like the gym? And do you see young men on steroids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Less than 1/200th of the number you have started about Playstation games.

Hey, I like sociology and society...and you like shoot 'em ups and Sonic...each to their own!

What's my interest in video games got to do with anything here? Does it make my opinion that millennials are basically alright and no worse than any other generation somehow less valid?

If constantly berating twenty-somethings for, as far as I can tell, the heinous crime of being young and not having life fully figured out is how you class liking sociology and society, then you are most certainly in love with those topics. Me? I don't even like Sonic and shoot 'em ups.

Billy86 wrote: »

I don't think so. As I understand it, it is usually after 83 or so. At least that's what I was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Shouting about having been on the campus for 10 years without a hint of irony.

Advertisement