Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor/WWE Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's definitely something in the works. There's no way that McMahon would let Lesner go back to UFC without getting something in return and getting the biggest name in MMA to Wrestlemania is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect him to go looking for.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

JBL will get him in the showers

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ticket sales not going well for UFC 202 no wonder McGregor is on full look at me mode please pay to see me get beaten.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Reebrock wrote: »
    Wrestlers are so thin skinned. That's all this episode has reinforced.
    Can't believe how this has upset so many wrestlers.

I wonder if it's that, or if several wrestlers saw the chance to grab main stream attention. Worked or not, if I was a wrestler, I'd be jumping at the opening that McGregor gave them to get their names being discussed (and it worked, given how the story got picked up). This was something that, ultimately, got both sides talked about.

Now, I'm gonna go back to thinking of a Mania Dream match of McGregor vs Lesnar....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

leggo wrote: »
    If you wanna talk about this as a hypothetical scenario, 'just for fun', Conor would likely beat the crap out of anyone in WWE without any kind of formal training. For a start, they wouldn't be able to hit or grab him as some of the elite in MMA aren't even able to do so. Secondly they'd have no chin and would likely get knocked out with one punch considering he has KO power, and if his punches didn't do the trick, a flying Capoeira kick to the jaw would knock anyone silly.

Weight classes mean nothing if you're not dealing with two professional fighters of relatively equal training and qualifications. McGregor is a PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER. His job in life is to knock people the **** out. He knocked out one of MMA's best ever fighters (Jose Aldo) with a counter punch while walking backwards. So while weight difference matters in, say, McGregor/Diaz as Diaz fights at a heavier weight class than Conor is used to and is used to withstanding the blows of professional fighters much heavier than him, it doesn't when it comes to you and I, or WWE fighters without any kind of fighting background. We've never felt anything like Conor's power, aren't conditioned or prepared to deal with basic fighting techniques like circling (meaning Conor would be able to put us exactly where he wants us before doing what he wanted to us) and wouldn't even be able to land a blow. It'd be a massacre.
    Even Mr. Lesnar himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lesnar has the auld formal training though doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

John Cena: A big, fat 40 year old failed Mr. Olympia motherfúcker.

He really wants that Wrestlemania money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Interpromotion battle of the Irish Finn Balor vs Mcgregor $$$$$$$$$

Have sum WWE guys back mcgregor and others balor

I think Angle may be the guy to fight mcgregor in the WWE

Tbh this might all lead to nothing and Mcgregor might never appear on WWE TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There's no way McGregor would come on WWE TV unless he's going to win and what's the point in that from a WWE perspective? Is the extra money they may get worth making some of their stars look like complete muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Pentecost wrote: »
    There's no way McGregor would come on WWE TV unless he's going to win and what's the point in that from a WWE perspective? Is the extra money they may get worth making some of their stars look like complete muppets?

Yeah, easily. Better they look like muppets against a box office smash and bonafide star than to Snoop Dogg.

But it probably won't happen. Only slim chance is if Diaz destroys him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Pentecost wrote: »

Lawrence Taylor
    K - Fed
    Floyd
    Hugh Jackman
    Mike Tyson
    Bob Barker
    Mr T
    Snooki

That's just off the top of my head. The celebrities always go over. It's just the way it is.

If anything, it speaks to WWE's deep rooted insecurity of their place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I suppose it depends on who they would put him up against. If it isn't one of their top guys then yes obviously I agree they'd have no hesitation in having them lose to McGregor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, easily. Better they look like muppets against a box office smash and bonafide star than to Snoop Dogg.

Even apart from being an actual credible fighting star, he'd probably be able to throw and take a few moves as well.

Brock vs McGregor would be pure money for WWE; "UFC wouldn't let these guys fight, but we will!" would be a really awesome story.

They'd put him against the likes of Ziggler or Neville or some midcarder I'd say. WWE won't shy away from having their guys job to celebs, but then tend to at least protect the top guys. And really that makes sense, the story is 'McGregor is in WWE!' Nobody cares who he fights.

Imagine if it happened though. It'd be nearly as big, if not bigger, than Tyson in 98. Could be a case of the right celeb coming in and shining the light on the company at just the right time.

If McGregor loses next week and then loses the rematch against Aldo is star will be over so if the WWE and McGregor want to do something that's a money spinner for both they need to get it done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If he goes to WWE then he would be up against the guy he has just called out: John Cena. I think he knows that himself and realistically, that is the best option. They would want the likes of ESPN to cover it so it has to be a well established star against him with mainstream appeal who will attract enough UFC fans for the curiosity factor, and who he can also play off as the heel in the role. Nobody epitomises WWE better than Cena right now.

Brock vs Conor would be a mistake imo. It's just too much of a mismatch to buy that Conor could live with him. UFC fans would dismiss it as nonsense from the off and WWE fans would be wondering why the big beast of the company is selling for a guy smaller than Balor.

If it's Conor vs Cena there is still a size mismatch but that is offset by the fact Cena has no MMA skills so you could build a story there that this could go either way.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

McGregor is working harder to sell him fighting Mayweather(that old rancid chestnut) or pro wrestlers than his fight with Diaz next week. Which has been so flat I'm wondering are wwe promoting it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

If McGregor loses next week and then loses the rematch against Aldo is star will be over so if the WWE and McGregor want to do something that's a money spinner for both they need to get it done soon.
    Whaaat? Really? Not sure if that is specious logic, or you just don't follow MMA. :confused:

People are clamouring for the returns of Nick Diaz & Chael Sonnen right now - Chael has 14 - FOURTEEN - losses on his record while Nick Diaz has lost 9 fights and hasn't won a fight in FIVE YEARS. And that's not to mention Conor's opponent next weekend, who has a full 10 losses in MMA, and is 3 - 3 in his last 6. In spite of all this, these guys are bigger draws than Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier, the winningest guys in the sport. Stars are stars in MMA. They can absorb losses. The second they win a fight, the hype train gets rolling again. No better an example than Nate himself. :)

The idea that 3 losses and Conor's finished feels so reactionary. Conor's star power will be fine. He might be drawing 750k - 1m on PPV rather than 1 - 1.5m but he'll still earn himself more for his average single night of work than 95% of the WWE roster will in a year. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Pentecost wrote:

Is that not what the do every year with the rock????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Lads he is not coming to the main roster . An appearance. No more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Loughc wrote: »
    2dkhd3t.jpg

Flair wins this one.
    I quite like McGregor and haven't watched wrestling in a good 15 years, but the man still has it WOOOOO!!! :D

Such a hunzo response. "H8rs gonna h8"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Such a hunzo response. "H8rs gonna h8"

Time to reply to Cena, "you ok Hun? X"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

That's not a response to Conor. Tweets 'motivational' stuff all the time. Quick read through his timeline would tell you that.

I'd read it as a subtweet. I follow LeBron James on Twitter, can spot them a mile off at this stage. The 'focus on yourself' part is the giveaway.

I hate passive-aggressive ****e like this from wrestlers. Nothing says tough guy I wanna pay to see fight like a thin skin and bitchy social media posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nothing says tough guy I wanna pay to see fight like a thin skin and bitchy social media posts.

Follow someone like Sunny or Lance Storm then. I imagine most posts on twitter by wwe wrestlers are done by someone in an office cubicle

You can tell who does their own Twitter, if they were office controlled they likely wouldn't get to keep them when they're released. Cena seems to do his own Instagram judging by the randomness of some of the stuff there so he seems hands on with social media.

It's just the passive aggressiveness I hate, I hate it when my own friends do that stuff on social media and when pro-wrestlers who market themselves as bad ass tough guys it infuriates me. Either go full McGregor and air your dirty laundry in an entertaining way and say what you actually mean (which is the ideal for me, these guys exist for our entertainment) or do the "oh I'm so professional" deal and say nothing, ever, without exception. Don't try do both and be like a bitchy teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

It seems to me that the legit tough guy pro wrestler (Haku for example) is dead as a dodo and a lot of wrestlers these days are as insecure as your garden variety celebrity actor.

Would McGregor be a heel or face if he appeared in front of a WWE audience I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cena's shtick is 'Rise above hate'. I thought his response fit his character.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Advertisement