Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish martial arts body opposes recognition of MMA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well considering you're blanketing an entire sporting community of thousands upon thousands of people from diverse backgrounds as "assholes" - you're basically discrediting your own statements to be honest.

Once again, you're either misinterpreting what I'm saying or you're not paying attention. I never did that. What I actually did was respond to a specific comment made by Maguined -
    How so? Most of the people that I have met that have trained in MMA have shown the above attributes. In fact the mutual respect aspect I have experienced far more from the MMA community than anywhere else I have personally experienced. In response to his anecdotal comment, I made an anecdotal observation. I never said it was applicable to all MMA fans/sportsmnen. My response:
    Everyone I personally know who trains in MMA swaggers around threatening people and bragging about how much they can **** you up with just their elbow whilst pounding their tapout t-shirt covered chest....
    My disdain for the sport isn't an inductive conclusion from my personal experiences. Stop misquoting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mansize wrote: »
    SJW is a baseless cheap namecalling

Or have you evidence to the contrary?

Simple enough question chief: Do you know who it was in reference to? Have you ever met them or dealt with them?

I'm guessing you're not involved in MMA or TMA and don't have the first clue about what the history is behind these shenanigans

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Surely if it's genuinely Mixed Martial Arts, IMAC would be the best fit???
    Why doesn't judo go there too then? Sports that are popular enough should have their own association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Bambi wrote: »
    Simple enough question chief: Do you know who it was reference to? Have you ever met them or dealt with them?

I'm guessing you're not involved in MMA or TMA and don't have the first clue about what the history behind these shenanigans

Where's your evidence of SJW??

Care to lay it out? Or just cheap name calling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Once again, you're either misinterpreting what I'm saying or you're not paying attention. I never did that. What I actually did was respond to a specific comment made by Maguined -
    How so? Most of the people that I have met that have trained in MMA have shown the above attributes. In fact the mutual respect aspect I have experienced far more from the MMA community than anywhere else I have personally experienced. In response to his anecdotal comment, I made an anecdotal observation. I never said it was applicable to all MMA fans/sportsmnen. My response:
    Everyone I personally know who trains in MMA swaggers around threatening people and bragging about how much they can **** you up with just their elbow whilst pounding their tapout t-shirt covered chest....
    My disdain for the sport isn't an inductive conclusion from my personal experiences. Stop misquoting me.

If you're being honest you will admit you were trying to portray it as a sport for braggarts and thugs and were using your anecdotal "evidence" to try and lend weight to that perspective.

A perspective, which anyone who knows what they're on about will tell you, is an oft-repeated and baseless nonsense.

• Advertisement

SJW is becoming the new version of cooties. Yell it at someone who doesn't agree w/ you and their argument is discredited, apparently......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why is that do you think?

Maybe it's because traditional martial arts usually contain form and fight. Students are graded and judged on both aspects. MMA removes form and concentrates on fight.

Proof is in this thread where a few posters now have branded traditional martial arts "fancy/cute dancing". This shows a lack of respect for the arts in themselves and if that's the attitude then why would the Irish martial arts body want these people to become a part of their organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I had to Google 'SJW'

I initially thought it meant 'some joyless wanker'... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That_Guy wrote: »
    I had to Google 'SJW'

I initially thought it meant 'some joyless wanker'... :o

Pretty much the same thing tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

smash wrote: »
    Maybe it's because traditional martial arts usually contain form and fight. Students are graded and judged on both aspects. MMA removes form and concentrates on fight.

Proof is in this thread where a few posters now have branded traditional martial arts "fancy dancing". This shows a lack of respect for the arts in themselves and if that's the attitude then why would the Irish martial arts body want these people to become a part of their organisation?

MMA does concentrate massively on form and technique. It's the basis of the entire sport. Things like BJJ, boxing, wrestling and Muay Thai are extremely technical sports and various techniques stances and movements will be drilled ad nauseum for years.

The only difference is that the above sports will then seek to actively implement that against a fully resisting opponent in the form of sparring and in competition. After all, that's why they were called martial arts and why they were devised in the first place.

The notion that MMA is any less technical or based on form, practice and study than the TMA stuff is nonsense.

• Advertisement

Why doesn't judo go there too then? Sports that are popular enough should have their own association

Judo is a much older more established sport

If you're being honest you will admit you were trying to portray it as a sport for braggarts and thugs and were using your anecdotal "evidence" to try and lend weight to that perspective.

A perspective, which anyone who knows what they're on about will tell you, is an oft-repeated and baseless nonsense.

I've clearly illustrated to you that that's not what I did and all you can do is repeat your accusation with the preface "If you're being honest...."

You can infer whatever you like from what I said, but my disdain for MMA and my personal experiences were and are distinct. I tell you to stop misquoting me so you move on to spinning meanings where there are none. You're really gonna twist my words to suit the argument you've started instead of admitting you're wrong, so I'm done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MMA does concentrate massively on form and technique. It's the basis of the entire sport. Things like BJJ, boxing, wrestling and Muay Thai are extremely technical sports and various techniques stances and movements will be drilled ad nauseum for years.
    In MMA your goal is to win the fight. It might concentrate on form, but only for the purposes of a fight where as in most traditional martial arts you are graded on your kata for belts and competition.
    The only difference is that the above sports will then seek to actively implement that against a fully resisting opponent in the form of sparring and in competition. After all, that's why they were called martial arts and why they were devised in the first place.

The notion that MMA is any less technical or based on form, practice and study than the TMA stuff is nonsense.

I never suggested it was less technical. I merely stated that traditional arts are graded on form and fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

'Ground and pound' sounds incredibly homoerotic.

I'm sure a lot of its supporters are repressing something. ;)

'Ground and pound' sounds incredibly homoerotic.

I'm sure a lot of its supporters are repressing something. ;)
    tipout

Oh just things like publishing articles in Martial Arts magazines with titles like "men, are we the problem?" :D. The guy was a SJW back in the 90s before the term was even born.

I'd like to establish whether you have the first clue about what the topic at hand, it's alright to admit that you don't and move one a wiser chap.

People in the know are aware that the majority of IMACs members come from one organisation, who are threatened by the rise of MMA's popularity. Add that to the Mary Whitehouse tendencies of its presidente-for-life and you have the current situation.

Mind you, the MMA clubs didn't help themselves in the early days by antagonizing the hell out of a lot of the IMAC associations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

How can I, er, put this politely. I’ve noticed that the most ardent fans of this nasty spectacle tend to be young men who haven’t seen the inside of a gym themselves in quite some time. They might be better served going for a jog than spending so much time on the Internet attempting to defend a nasty spectacle that involves thuggish young men attempting to kick each other in the face.

The lads who created UFC must be laughing all the way to the bank. Making a fortune by appealing to a vulgar and base bloodlust amongst their increasingly disenfranchised fanbase.

Maybe they have issues with striking a grounded opponent...

I am no expert but surely this is the issue, and surely this is why many people consider the 'sport' to be dubious (and compare it to dog fighting)?

It is called 'mixed martial arts' but I am not sure which martial art allows a punch in the head of a grounded opponent, perhaps one of the MMA supporters on this thread can tell me?

No surprise at all that IMAC want nothing to do with it.

Oh just things like publishing articles in Martial Arts magazines with titles like "men, are we the problem?" :D. The guy was a SJW back in the 90s before the term was even born.

I'd like to establish whether you have the first clue about what the topic at hand, it's alright to admit that you don't and move one a wiser chap.

People in the know are aware that the majority of IMACs members come from one organisation, who are threatened by the rise of MMA's popularity. Add that to the Mary Whitehouse tendencies of its presidente-for-life and you have the current situation.

Mind you, the MMA clubs didn't help themselves in the early days by antagonizing the hell out of a lot of the IMAC associations.

Do you always post is such a patronising condescending manner???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

smash wrote: »
    In MMA your goal is to win the fight. It might concentrate on form, but only for the purposes of a fight where as in most traditional martial arts you are graded on your kata for belts and competition.

I never suggested it was less technical. I merely stated that traditional arts are graded on form and fight.

You've lost me here, surely the point of a "form" is to use it in a fight rather than to get some grading?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sports resulting in death are very difficult to justify

True, very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I am no expert but surely this is the issue, and surely this is why many people consider the 'sport' to be dubious (and compare it to dog fighting)?

It is called 'mixed martial arts' but I am not sure which martial art allows a punch in the head of a grounded opponent, perhaps one of the MMA supporters on this thread can tell me?

No surprise at all that IMAC want nothing to do with it.

It depends on what you mean by allowed? There are many traditional martial arts that teach you deadly techniques. Eye goughing, groing attacks etc etc but they are not allowed in competition and their competitions are points scoring based. MMA does not teach you how to eye gouge, fish hook or groin attacks but it's competition allows striking the head of a grounded opponent which has resulted in less deaths than boxing where striking is limited to standing.

Maguined wrote: »
    It depends on what you mean by allowed? There are many traditional martial arts that teach you deadly techniques. Eye goughing, groing attacks etc etc but they are not allowed in competition and their competitions are points scoring based. MMA does not teach you how to eye gouge, fish hook or groin attacks but it's competition allows striking the head of a grounded opponent which has resulted in less deaths than boxing where striking is limited to standing.

So the answer is 'none', as I suspected

Judo is a much older more established sport

Judo dates back to around 1890

If you take Mitsuyo Maeda as the originator of MMA it's only about a decade younger than Judo.

Most of the sport martial arts organisations that have large numbers bypassed IMAC and were recognized by the Irish Sports Council in their own. No reason MMA can't do the same now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I really think the popularity of this vulgar barbarism boils down to a crisis in masculinity.

A lot of the proponents of the 'sport' seem to be angry young men who have failed in their own personal lives and so get emotionally invested behind ruffians like that McGregor chap. It's an avenue for them to unload their pent up frustrations with life.

It's an extremely tasteless spectacle. I happened to see the McGregor Aldo fight as my brother insisted on watching it. The Aldo chap was knocked out stone cold and Mcgregor jumped on top of him and landed two vicious punches to the head of his unconscious opponent. Vile stuff.

I did explain it was death as a result of the deliberate actions of your opponent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Your Face wrote: »
    The clue is in the name - Martial.
    There's a chance of unpleasantness.

You've me sold! When's the next one on so I can watch for "a chance of unpleasantness" ?

Do you always post is such a patronising condescending manner???

Only when someone who hasn't a notion what they're on about decides to just wade in anyway with standard interwebz rebuttal #4.

• Advertisement

Judo dates back to around 1890

If you take Mitsuyo Maeda as the originator of MMA it's only about a decade younger than Judo.

Most of the sport martial arts organisations that have large numbers bypassed IMAC and were recognized by the Irish Sports Council in their own. No reason MMA can't do the same now.

But MMA doesn't go back to then, otherwise it would be well established

Advertisement