Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating people with mental health issues

Options
  • 06-08-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭

Ok - you cannot lock Mentally ill people away like the old days .... but also we cannot go on with some mentally ill people being to a danger to the public by knifing them or shooting them or whatever else they might be capable of .

What are people views / ideas on what can be done to safeguard the public - better than what is being done at the moment? - bar cutting down the long waiting list for people to get medical psychiatric help - what more can be done until these people get the help they need , what is not being done at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

the CRAZY thing is that majority of stabbings and shootings arnt done by mentally ill people at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

it could be argued that even some Terrorists have some kind of Mental issues also going on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I think you will find having mental health issues does not equal danger to society. There are thousands living with Mental Health Issues in this country and I think you should think carefully before posting on this kind of topic.
    Very few people with Mental Health issues are a danger to others so you can rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Oh this isn't a half misinformed thread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Billions of people in the world have mental issues, be it believing in a man in the sky or that the walls talk to them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ok - you cannot lock Mentally ill people away like the old days .... but also we cannot go on with some mentally ill people being to a danger to the public by knifing them or shooting them or whatever else they might be capable of .

What are people views / ideas on what can be done to safeguard the public - better than what is being done at the moment? - bar cutting down the long waiting list for people to get medical psychiatric help - what more can be done until these people get the help they need , what is not being done at the moment?

What do you think yourself , Andy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

In Ireland and I assume most countries a person who because of mental health issues is a danger to themselves or others can be detained.

What do you think yourself , Andy ?

I dont really know - thats why I was looking to others views.

I know that when/if people start getting 'voices in their head' telling them to do something that it can be so powerful that some people simply cannot switch those voices off and it takes over. Its not as easy as that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This thread will be fairly mad in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Institutionalising people isn't a problem of itself.
    But doing and just doping people up, as is the practice, is not good.
    Comprehensive and higher quality treatment in wards/instituitions.

• Advertisement

I know that when/if people start getting 'voices in their head' telling them to do something that it can be so powerful that some people simply cannot switch those voices off and it takes over. Its not as easy as that
    Where did you receive your medical training to ascertain this?

In Ireland and I assume most countries a person who because of mental health issues is a danger to themselves or others can be detained.

at what level do they have to be for that to happen? ... and do they have to be reported first?

Where did you receive your medical training to ascertain this?

Do I have to be? - do I have to have medical training to have a view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If at any stage anyone anywhere presents to a mental health clinic saying there getting voices in their head......

AFAIK they are seen more or less straight away.....you worries are somewhat unfounded

Do I have to be? - do I have to have medical training to have a view?

You made a statement as fact about mental illness which you possibly couldn't know without some kind of first hand knowledge or education on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I'd say your average man from Sligo is more dangerous than a mentally ill person:pac:

I have been getting that knee-jerk reaction lately when that UK MP was killed and the Russell Square thing the other night, and the Underground station thing that they were all terrorist acts on behalf of ISIS ... and then it turns out they all have/had mental issues and attacked random strangers.

You made a statement as fact about mental illness which you possibly couldn't know without some kind of first hand knowledge or education on the subject.

you just carry on assuming ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a very specific protocol for committing some one in this country.
    This country has a constitution.
    A lot of people have mental issues of various levels. Very few evolve into a situation of danger to others. And then it tends to be family members.
    By far the biggest risk is self harm. don't seem to think that is OP's concern.
    Not sure of the value or purpose of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

at what level do they have to be for that to happen? ... and do they have to be reported first?

Yes, or AGS or local medical professionals may get involved. The Mental Health Act 2001 as amended deals with involuntary admission.

8.—(1) A person may be involuntarily admitted to an approved centre pursuant to an application under section 9 or 12 and detained there on the grounds that he or she is suffering from a mental disorder.

Mental Disorder is defined at section 3

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/25/section/3/enacted/en/html#sec3

• Advertisement

you just carry on assuming ....

I'm quoting you. You're making sweeping statements about terrorism and mental illness even going so far as saying, oh you can't lock people up anymore like the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Been watching Suicide Swquad, have we, Andy...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If at any stage anyone anywhere presents to a mental health clinic saying there getting voices in their head......

AFAIK they are seen more or less straight away.....you worries are somewhat unfounded

You seem to have not heard of stories of people doing something whilst they are on a long waiting list waiting to see a psychiatrist or counsellor then because of cutbacks and not enough trained people (well here in Ireland at least)

Haha - people really go to a doctor and admit they hear voices in their head saying cause harm to yourself or others ? off their own backs ....really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Deconstruction of Text by Art.

Ok - you cannot lock Mentally ill people away like the old days

[sigh, sadly]

.... but also we cannot go on with some mentally ill people being to a danger to the public by knifing them or shooting them or whatever else they might be capable of .

[lets lock 'them' all up!]

What are people views / ideas on what can be done to safeguard the public - better than what is being done at the moment?

[please don't let me be alone in my sad limited fear-ridden misunderstanding of life/ people/ mental illness]

- bar cutting down the long waiting list for people to get medical psychiatric help

[which we all know will cost US money.]

- what more can be done until these people

[ those who should be disposed of]

get the help

[elimination]

they need

[don't deserve]

, what is not being done at the moment?

[ so am I right? Let's 'dispose' of 'em all!]

from ArtSmart Deciphering Services Ltd.

I'm shocked at this. No wonder people are afraid to speak up about their problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd hazard a guess that people with mental health issues are less likely to be a risk to the public than 'normal' people. I can't imagine people who are depressed, anxious, suffering from phobias, OCD, or whatever, feeling compelled to go out and randomly attack strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You seem to have not heard of stories of people doing something whilst they are on a long waiting list waiting to see a psychiatrist or counsellor then because of cutbacks and not enough trained people (well here in Ireland at least)

Haha - people really go to a doctor and admit they hear voices in their head saying cause harm to yourself or others ? off their own backs ....really?

I work in an environment with people with varying degrees of mental ill health from low mood right up to treatment resistant varieties and interesting enough "hearing voices" is actually quite common .

I seem to remember a figure being put out that around 25% of people hear voices with vast majority having no ill effect on thier lives.There are support groups.

Oddly enough people do go to doctors hearing voices.How do you think diagnosis are formed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Being mentally ill is the new way for Politically Correct leftists to deflect attention away from Islamic Terrorists. "He was mentally ill, and it had nothing to do with him being a migrant Muslim terrorist and brainwashed with hate".

Quiete frankly I find it appalling and there really is no low that the Politically Correct and their ilk won't stoop to, the few mentally ill people I know are the biggest danger to themselves and no one else.

• Advertisement

so we have come to 27 posts and no one has suggested (well I dont think) how we can safeguard public from possibly being attacked by a person with mental issues or them self harming themselves whilst they are on a very long waiting list to get proper help.

Obviously I would like to wave a magic wand and make help available Immediately for these people but its not happening, so what else is in place or what can be put in place?

What are we at the moment, when people do find the courage to go to the GP they are told there is a huge wating list and you cannot get to see someone for at least 6 months or a year - but here, take these anti depressants, and dont forget to take them - its very important you take them and dont miss a dose and dont drink with them .... and go out for walks in the fresh air . This should keep you going until you get an appointment....

Advertisement