Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Treating people with mental health issues

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Im on a thread in lti under bpd.there is only a few pages but it's scary enough.Andy could do with reading it and I mean that very nicely it's one of the most frightening the way it starts my partner started with ptsd and it escalated it was always there and it's hereditary and I've 3 son's and more likely in men.I'm just pointing out that mental health is mental health nothing to do with anything else

You do know the harm you may do to people! I thought you where a troll now I believe you you are just bad.

Thank you hoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can this thread be locked? I think, as I said in my first post in this thread, that Andy was/is trying to rise a row?

Can this thread be locked? I think, as I said in my first post in this thread, that Andy was/is trying to rise a row?

Why?I think not its ok to talk about this and you didn't start the thread.and I've more to say to help people with mental health issues.

Because hoc came in?he's not giving legal advice!I'm now on more meds than my partner is on now I'm not going to kill anyone I'm on anti's for 6 months max to deal with things only once a year for 7 year's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's an interesting thread . I think some clarification might help but possibly some wires have got crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

im really not, sorry you have interpreted it that way - its just discussion plain and simple sorry. Nothing I say in this thread is going to change anything or other peoples views

im really not, sorry you have interpreted it that way - its just discussion plain and simple sorry. Nothing I say in this thread is going to change anything or other peoples views

That's should be the title of this thread Andy with just a bit of mental health mixed in.your not a hurtful person you just asked a question at the end of the day and we all took it to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

Felt the need to add to this. Having worked in the mental health profession for 30+ years I feel I am in a good position to comment.

In all my time working in hospitals, crisis intervention teams and on Home treatment teams I have been physically attacked three times. Interestingly enough, not once by a client. All three attacks were by random scumbags in the street.

The vast majority of clients with who I work are kind, calm individuals in distress.

Some of the doctors are a bit bonkers but that's for another thread!

Ionised wrote: »
    Felt the need to add to this. Having worked in the mental health profession for 30+ years I feel I am in a good position to comment.

In all my time working in hospitals, crisis intervention teams and on Home treatment teams I have been physically attacked three times. Interestingly enough, not once by a client. All three attacks were by random scumbags in the street.

The vast majority of clients with who I work are kind, calm individuals in distress.

In reply to Ionised he's right as he knows. I've never been attacked by members of the general public I've been verbally abused by psych staff I'd find them the most intorlent I've many friends that are nurses/firemen/women/gardi those are people that are let down.do your job for the public safety get out of bed don't let people sitting for 36 hours in a&e problem solved you took that job for a reason and not for money obviously save a live.in truly hope you are not proud of yourself

• Advertisement

I'll call you out on a troll you as someone in profession calls anyone a scumbag!

3 people liked this post! Anyone in this profression would never call anyone a scumbag!

triona1 wrote: »
    I'll call you out on a troll you as someone in profession calls anyone a scumbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Please do! Genuine request actually as I concur and could be enlightening for some people. The attitudes of some treating doctors within the mental health field can actually cause more harm and this area needs a spotlight shone on it in contributing to stigma of mental health and recovery. It's an area which is often neglected in discussions of problems within mental health services which aren't just exclusive to limited resources or stigma from the general population. Speaking from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

triona1 wrote:

My post was in response to the Op and the myth about people with mental health problems being violent more than people without. My experience would be the opposite.

It's sad you seemed to take offence at that.

Your troll radar is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not in my experience . There was a crisis before any medical attention was received in any case I am familiar with .
    I think people who are used to discussing their mental state assume everyone does the same . A lot of people don't .

And I think posts connecting poor mental health and terroris threats are completely unhelpful to destigmastise so that people can openly discuss

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

And I think posts connecting poor mental health and terroris threats are completely unhelpful to destigmastise so that people can openly discuss

I agree and in a previous comment tried to make the distinction between religious brainwashing and mental illness . What have I said that's caused confusion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If a serious mental illness is a contributing factor I'm not sure what the alternative is?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would come at it from a different point, there are a lots of causes that attract individual with what you could describe as single minded all or noting type personalities, in Ireland they had the choice of fanatical nationalism, fanatical republicanism, religious fanaticism.

For example with our modern understanding of psychology would Matt Talbot who practised mortification of the flesh, be considered mentally unwell, or a fanatical ex alcoholic who found religion as his saviour or perfectly 'normal'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

What is the difference between behaviour issues and actual mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's an interesting one, the Shankill butchers used a flag to cover blood thirst and psychopathic behaviour.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

triona1 wrote: »
    3 people liked this post! Anyone in this profression would never call anyone a scumbag!

Why? That's an odd requirement for the job.

Advertisement