Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes true the Klingons and Romulans do occupy a large part of the Beta Quadrant but 90% of the Beta Quadrant is still unexplored. Its not like starfleet have never sent ships to the Beta Quadrant before they have the Olympus and the Excelsior being two such ships. The former was on an 8year mission in the Beta quadrant and the latter a 3 year mission. I think having a ship on an 8 year mission to explore space not yet explored would and could make for a great show no jumping back to a starbase every week either like TNG did far to often.

That's exactly what I mean

Myrddin wrote: »
    I agree, but they'd need to distance the concept from Voyager (a Starfleet ship, alone with no backup). TV has come on a long way since then though, so I'm sure if the motivation was there they could do it.

Voyager was always trying to get home so it made no sense that they kept coming across the same people at the start. Kazon should have been left behind within an episode FFS

The counter of that is that they could not keep interesting characters as recurring for that very reason.

Criss-crossing the Beta Quadrant, in exploration, would easily mean that they could bring back characters (friend or foe) while keeping it fresh too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that filming is only scheduled to begin in September but the premier is January 2017? Seems like a very short turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that filming is only scheduled to begin in September but the premier is January 2017? Seems like a very short turnaround.

It's all a bit weird. Fuller says they'll probably be shooting until March is this interview: http://collider.com/new-star-trek-series-details/ Wikipedia says they were still talking about meeting potential cast members in July, so God knows how they'll be shooting by September.

All strangely accelerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zillah wrote: »
    It's all a bit weird. Fuller says they'll probably be shooting until March is this interview: http://collider.com/new-star-trek-series-details/ Wikipedia says they were still talking about meeting potential cast members in July, so God knows how they'll be shooting by September.

All strangely accelerated.

Not especially - a lot of TV shows that start back in September don't start filming until July, so by that logic they're actually starting fairly early for a January debut. The only difference with this and most new shows is that they didn't need to film a pilot, it was ordered straight to series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Not especially - a lot of TV shows that start back in September don't start filming until July

I don't understand how this is possible. How on Earth do they get it edited in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They won't have the whole season done in that time, obviously. They'll probably shoot a show a week then six weeks to go through post-production into broadcast.

24's first season was only originally commissioned for 12 episodes and they got the renewal for the full 24 shows as those first dozen episodes were being broadcast to great ratings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Beefy78 wrote: »
    24's first season was only originally commissioned for 12 episodes and they got the renewal for the full 24 shows as those first dozen episodes were being broadcast to great ratings.

I guess that explains why Kim and Terri got so much bloody screen time :pac:

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't understand how this is possible. How on Earth do they get it edited in time?

Magic! ;)
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    They won't have the whole season done in that time, obviously. They'll probably shoot a show a week then six weeks to go through post-production into broadcast.

Pretty much this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer now on youtube:

Looks very pre-processing for the effects.

[EDIT]
    This youtube trailer has stopped working but the trailer in tweet above (the last tweet in the post) is still working

[EDIT2]
    Someone else has reuploaded the trailer to a different youtube channel so fixed :) (tweet also still working)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

That... looks terrible... why would you release that, i hope thats unfinished it looks like a ten year old video game.

The ship looks influenced by the old klingon ships.

Edit: is it gone from youtube? they should delete those tweets too haha

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Any word yet on where in the time line this is coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

New series called Star Trek Discovery. Ship looks very similar to the aborted Phase II/Planet Of The Titans Enterprise design.

Teaser here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxba2WjlN90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Does she not look a little Klingon Battlecruiser-like?

Just from aft of the saucer.

ziedth wrote: »
    Any word yet on where in the time line this is coming in?

Its confirmed its the prime timeline so not the rebooted movie one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

On the starship beauty scale of one to ten, this resets the one and pushes the current ugliest ship up to a 4.

Awful design and awful cgi. There simply must be a story reason for the design. It looks like a hybrid Federation/Klingon ship but the registry pilots it pre TOS but post-Enterprise.

Lost for words really.

yeh its terrible looking, bad cgi, bad design. its clearly a klingon federation hybrid ship, even when it comes out of the asteroid at the end the music changes to a slight klingon theme. I really was hoping it wasnt post enterprise\pre TOS but it seems to be.

Don't mind the look of the ship - I'm sure they'll have better CGI in the show itself, but they haven't started filming yet, so it's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

FutureGuy wrote: »
    On the starship beauty scale of one to ten, this resets the one and pushes the current ugliest ship up to a 4.
    Its confirmed its the prime timeline so not the rebooted movie one.

Missed the video, but even if the ship looked like a potato with mini sausages attached to it via toothpicks, I would still be all over this series because it's not reboot timeline...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is just a badly rendered teaser trailer thrown together for Comic-con, but the ship is obviously based on Ralph McQuarrie's unused concept art for Planet of the Titans, which was Paramount's first attempt at a Star Trek movie after TOS ended but was scraped. Seems the saucer was designed to separate and land on planets. Pretty cool actually.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/

malcy wrote: »
    New series called Star Trek Discovery. Ship looks very similar to the aborted Phase II/Planet Of The Titans Enterprise design.

Teaser here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxba2WjlN90

I know it is a long way out but there are fan shots with better rendered CG than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Similarities are striking.

38c5SmZ.jpg

Nate

wow even the space dock in the asteroid looks the same as his drawings!

18lsjl7zqudg1jpg.jpg

18lsjl9yqvmkojpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Shockingly bad render but that must be due to it being early days.

So are we all looking forward to catching STD in January?

...wait. :-/

(teaser is on Twitter here: https://amp.twimg.com/v/e8cf88fe-c51d-45df-baa5-79fcb2ed157f)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Please be a lie
    Please be a lie
    Please be a lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I know it is a lokng way out but there are fan shots with better rendered CG than that

*cough*
    Axanar
    *cough*

Their assault on that project makes more sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Presumably some joint Federation/Klingon Empire venture post Khitomer Accords?

The registry number is weird, maybe it's the Discovery A or B at that stage though if it is it's definitely absent from the hull markings.

It is, however, one damn ugly ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The CG is abysmal, as someone said, worse than a ten year old video game. The ship is horrific looking, a circle and a triangle glued together...wow.

If this is a reveal intended to generate hype and interest, consider it a truly epic fail :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭squonk

For heavens sake! What's wrong with people??? We've waited 10 years for a new Star Trek show and at the first release of a teaser trailer, everyone jumps to attack it. I think the ship looks OK. It's not the prettiest but so what. It's a limited run season so we've got 13-15 episodes in that chapter. It won't be sticking around for 7 seasons like the D.

It's a teaser so rendering is obviously at the early stages. Personally I'll be giving it a few episodes go cast a judgement. I know we shouldn't take any old crap branded as Star Trek but, given all our reactions to the JJ-verse, I don't think anyone here is guilty of gullibility on that scale.

Give the producers, writers and others associated with the new show a chance. Thanks to dross, particularly like oyager, Star Trek could well have died. CBS could have looked at the JJ-verse formula and recreated 90210 in space like the recent movies but it looks like they're taking things relatively seriously and I, for one, applaud them for it.

Advertisement