Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Speaking of Voyager....

http://screencrush.com/cbs-star-trek-kirsten-beyer-writer-voyager/

Not sure how I feel about voyager writing staff involved in new show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not sure how I feel about voyager writing staff involved in new show.

It seems she wrote some novels, I can't see it mentioned she was part of the Voyager writing staff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Myrddin wrote: »
    It seems she wrote some novels, I can't see it mentioned she was part of the Voyager writing staff...

How in the name of all that is Q, did I miss that!!

Good catch dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

She could be good especially if they are going to do an anthology series, changing time, setting and focus from season to season which could be good as she has a knack for Quote Beyer is also well known for “her knack with tying disparate bits of Trek continuity together,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So there is talk that Gillian Anderson and Bryan Fuller will be working on an unconfirmed show together on Twitter.

My brother commented that it would be amazing to see her in a TOS movie uniform.

Fuller favourites the tweet. :-D

Make what you will of that. I think she would be an amazing choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

She's in the Neil Gaiman show Fuller is working on.

malcy wrote: »
    She's in the Neil Gaiman show Fuller is working on.

Yes, she's playing Media in American Gods. Perhaps the Fuller connection might lead to some work on Star Trek though.

She'd make one hell of a captain.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/rumor-new-trek-2017-production-designer-chosen/

Interesting if not slightly worrying concept art for the new series...

• Advertisement

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/rumor-new-trek-2017-production-designer-chosen/

Interesting if not slightly worrying concept art for the new series...

Taken down pretty much everywhere it was posted, so I guess that says a lot!

Still visible on Google Images though.

The production appears to have been codenamed Green Harvest (by Mark Worthington at least).

Ms

Big interview here with Bryan Fuller about the new series

http://collider.com/new-star-trek-series-details/

From what I have read I take it that it will not be in the Abram verse but it will be different from whats gone before. I really don,t mind as long as it has good writing,special effects and offers lots to think about like moral dilemmas, social issues, the state of the human condition, and good character development oh and also cool new starships with proper engine rooms that have a dilithium chamber and a warp core of course.

Star Trek has always use current sociopolitical issues as its base...so with the British exit now seemingly decided, perhaps a story like Andoria or Vulcan feeling discontent with the Federation, and leaving it...would be a good place to start :D

Ms

Star Trek has always use current sociopolitical issues as its base...so with the British exit now seemingly decided, perhaps a story like Andoria or Vulcan feeling discontent with the Federation, and leaving it...would be a good place to start :D

I agree this could be a great story but it should be done in the late 24th century 25th or 26 century not too early during the federation as we all know its includes hundreds of worlds by the 24th century. After that yes maybe. I don,t think it would be Vulcans that would do it do. Maybe the Andorians or Telerites might or one of the other races.

Bwen done in the books by the way, with Andoria

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If anything, they should have earth look to leave. Have a political faction on earth pushing for more rights for humanity (section 31 style), and have it lead up to a civil war type thing. Something along the lines of Homefront in DS9. Maybe too dark for Star Trek though.

Ms

Kiith wrote: »
    If anything, they should have earth look to leave. Have a political faction on earth pushing for more rights for humanity (section 31 style), and have it lead up to a civil war type thing. Something along the lines of Homefront in DS9. Maybe too dark for Star Trek though.

Been done already in Enterprise season 4 last two episodes "Demons" and "Terra Prime" It did not lead to a civil war but was more about Xenophobic humans saying humans are the superior race and should not let other aliens mix with us but it basically what your saying about a political faction that wants out just slightly different. Could be done another way I suppose.

Bwen done in the books by the way, with Andoria

I'm sure seven of nines long lost cousin, was able to contact admiral Picard, who got the whole tng crew back together again, and with the help of mirror universe chakotay, the traveller, one of the prophets, and shrans great great grandson (who is the leader of Andoria), they were able to save the day
    Kiith wrote: »

Yeah good idea. If the show was an anthology series they could do something like that for the post-voyager era. As you say though, it kind of has been touched upon with ds9s Homefront

I'm sure seven of nines long lost cousin, was able to contact admiral Picard, who got the whole tng crew back together again, and with the help of mirror universe chakotay, the traveller, one of the prophets, and shrans great great grandson (who is the leader of Andoria), they were able to save the day

Yeah good idea. If the show was an anthology series they could do something like that for the post-voyager era. As you say though, it kind of has been touched upon with ds9s Homefront

You mean like how Kirk's daddy's ship fights the big bad but Kirk escapes to be in the same bar as Uhuru, where he fights so that Pike can see him and recruit him and Spock travels back in time and gets stranded on a random planet, where young Spock happens to strand Kirk.
    They happen to meet on this planet then find a random station which just amazingly has Scotty there... You mesn like that?

You mean like how Kirk's daddy's ship fights the big bad but Kirk escapes to be in the same bar as Uhuru, where he fights so that Pike can see him and recruit him and Spock travels back in time and gets stranded on a random planet, where young Spock happens to strand Kirk.
    They happen to meet on this planet then find a random station which just amazingly has Scotty there... You mesn like that?

So we're agreed then that the new films are non canon garbage? :p

• Advertisement

So we're agreed then that the new films are non canon garbage? :p

Very much so. At least the books know that they are cheesy pulp (admittedly with some good material within)

On the books, they tried to go it with new crew on their own, with Excalibur... No one read them even though highly reviewed.

They learned that they have to work within the boundaries of the audience expectation and do glorified Fan-fiction, does not mean that there are not some good sotries there however

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I'd be happy to step away from the Enterprise for a few seasons on the new show. I think if fans are put off by a crew on a ship other than the Enterprise being the focus of a book or a series then those fans need to be asking themselves some serious questions. On the other hand, if they go post-voyager into the timeline of the Enterprise F, G or H, then I really, really want to see that ship and crew. Maybe I need to be asking myself some serious questions too :)

They really do need to step off the Enterprise. Look at how good DS9 was, they don't need to fall back on burned out assets.

The prequel which everyone wanted was Excelsior but no.... Reboot instead

Ms

The prequel which everyone wanted was Excelsior but no.... Reboot instead

Yes it is such a shame that this never happened. Would and could have been a great show with a cool ship and a cool Captain.

I would love to see the Beta Quadrant explored more as we do not know much about that sector of space. We have been to the Gamma Quadrant and the Delta Quadrant but never to the Beta Quadrant so hopefully the new series goes there. I think some more insect like species too and other unique species.

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes it is such a shame that this never happened. Would and could have been a great show with a cool ship and a cool Captain.

I would love to see the Beta Quadrant explored more as we do not know much about that sector of space. We have been to the Gamma Quadrant and the Delta Quadrant but never to the Beta Quadrant so hopefully the new series goes there. I think some more insect like species too and other unique species.

Beta quadrant was home to the Klingons, Romulans & loads of other known species. if I remember right was not that far from Earth either.

Beta quadrant was home to the Klingons, Romulans & loads of other known species. if I remember right was not that far from Earth either.

Earth is the demarcation between alpha and beta. Federation is situated, for the vast majority, in alpha.

The beta is relatively unknown precisely because of Klingons and Romulans blocking meaningful exploration there

Ms

Earth is the demarcation between alpha and beta. Federation is situated, for the vast majority, in alpha.

The beta is relatively unknown precisely because of Klingons and Romulans blocking meaningful exploration there

Yes true the Klingons and Romulans do occupy a large part of the Beta Quadrant but 90% of the Beta Quadrant is still unexplored. Its not like starfleet have never sent ships to the Beta Quadrant before they have the Olympus and the Excelsior being two such ships. The former was on an 8year mission in the Beta quadrant and the latter a 3 year mission. I think having a ship on an 8 year mission to explore space not yet explored would and could make for a great show no jumping back to a starbase every week either like TNG did far to often.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes true the Klingons and Romulans do occupy a large part of the Beta Quadrant but 90% of the Beta Quadrant is still unexplored. Its not like starfleet have never sent ships to the Beta Quadrant before they have the Olympus and the Excelsior being two such ships. The former was on an 8year mission in the Beta quadrant and the latter a 3 year mission. I think having a ship on an 8 year mission to explore space not yet explored would and could make for a great show no jumping back to a starbase every week either like TNG did far to often.

I agree, but they'd need to distance the concept from Voyager (a Starfleet ship, alone with no backup). TV has come on a long way since then though, so I'm sure if the motivation was there they could do it.

Advertisement