Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

squonk wrote: »
    For heavens sake! What's wrong with people??? We've waited 10 years for a new Star Trek show and at the first release of a teaser trailer, everyone jumps to attack it.

That doesn't mean we should just be happy Trek is back, no matter how bad it looks from the teaser though. If it's early days, & the effects will improve, fair enough. The ship design is horrific though, truly terrible really (clunky, and not an ounce of elegance we've seen in almost every other ship in the series).

I don't think this is gleeful attacking going on, it's more disappointment and dashed hopes. The love for Trek is still there & as strong as ever, and while fans have high expectations, I think it's fair to say nobody was expecting what we got in the teaser.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I know the ship references the original concept art from a few decades back, but it looks terrible.

But the video released is labelled test flight, so it appears to be little more than a concept render itself, and hopefully prone to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well the Klingon Empire is in the beta quadrant, so a joint Human/Klingon exploration mission. Probably has a cloaking device too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

After a few viewings I'm thinking the ship looks kinda badass. It's very likely a Klingon/Federation joint design if that also means a Klingon/Federation joint mission in the early days of co-operation between the two empires then, as far as I'm concerned...

futurama.jpg

The more I think about this show the better the possibilities sound. If it's a joint mission then I'd hope they'd go down the route of having a Klingon captain, with a federation officer as second in command. We've already seen Worf as the warlike Klingon down the pecking order being overruled/counselled by the humans. I'd love to see a warlike commander making the right decisions even if his methods differ from the opinions of his human second in command who must carry out his orders. Sadly I fear it'll be a human commander, Klingon first officer with a mixed crew. It'll still be good but more of what we expect will ensue I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm excited! Hoping it is set after TOS though.

The more I think about this show the better the possibilities sound. If it's a joint mission then I'd hope they'd go down the route of having a Klingon captain, with a federation officer as second in command. We've already seen Worf as the warlike Klingon down the pecking order being overruled/counselled by the humans. I'd love to see a warlike commander making the right decisions even if his methods differ from the opinions of his human second in command who must carry out his orders. Sadly I fear it'll be a human commander, Klingon first officer with a mixed crew. It'll still be good but more of what we expect will ensue I think.

If the show is true to canon, this can't be the case as Worf was the first Klingon in Starfleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Before I saw the Mona Lisa, I'd been told countless times "it's smaller than you expect". By the time I saw it, I was expecting a postage stamp and was pleasantly surprised. I read lots of comments before I viewed the STD (oh dear) trailer, so I was expecting a horrendously ugly ship and the worlds worst CG. So consequently I found the ship interesting and the CG to be fine for a pre-vis or demo.

The registry suggests a pre-Constitution era ship later refitted in the the timeline post Undiscovered Country?

Anyway, I loved the first looks at Voyager and the NX-01, but the shows disappointed me. So my being underwhelmed by this early look tells me very little. If the stories are good, I don't care much about the ship or the quality of the CG. They're nice-to-haves, not essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Myrddin wrote: »
    If the show is true to canon, this can't be the case as Worf was the first Klingon in Starfleet.

A joint Federation/Klingon mission wouldn't break the canon.

It would make the exchange programme Riker took part in a bit of a confusing detour though.

A joint Federation/Klingon mission wouldn't break the canon.

As in a Klingon commander, being in command of a starship? True enough, wouldn't break canon that way. But...
    It would make the exchange programme Riker took part in a bit of a confusing detour though.

...it does conflict with this, as this was a first at the time.

• Advertisement

Very true. I'm not possessed of an intricate knowledge of Cannon though, God knows I've watched enough of the shows to pick up a lot. I did think afterwards that there'd be no need for birds of prey if an earlier cooperative mission was a success. I can't get away from thinking that the ship has Klingon DNA in the design. On the other hand, maybe this ship is a rough concept and not at all what the final ship will actually look like.

There's a definite Klingon vibe off the secondary hull, made all the more intriging by the music (it's like a play on the TMP Klingon battle music). It's also interesting that the space dock is buried inside an asteroid/moon...is this a secret/prototype ship?

A series handling a rocky Federation/Klingon co-operative alliance would be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Federation wants to explore and learn about other societys

Klingons want to conquer, but in this era the Klingons are in trouble with their moon exploding and all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It's gotta be based off the klingon cruisers, looks like it's heavily armoured everywhere too, does not look like an exploration ship, certainly without the saucer section it would look very like a Klingon ship.

I dunno, this could actually look how it's going to when it airs.

I'm not too fussed about the ship's looks though, it's the characters i'm more concerned about, and how well they're acted, If that's all good, then throw in a big bulky armoured cruiser and i'm good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They've said it has a central story arc, and isn't episodic in the traditional sense. If the story is just a combined Klingon/Fed mission, it could get stale if that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Reckon it could be more of - well these klingons have great warships, and those designs knock the vinegar out of ours, lets adopt them into our own designs and see how it goes with a long range exploration vessel?

This would mean it'd have to happen before Axanar but while the Klingons are kicking the Federations arse left right and centre without actually declaring all out war.

You might be onto something there degrassinoel. I see the Constitution was NCC-1700. Are new ships numbered sequentially? If so that puts the Discovery into the pre Axanar, pre Cinstitution era. That'd be interesting and it'd be also adding perspective to why they're killing Axanar. I'd read though that the new show was to be post TOS and pre TNG. I'd be very happy with post ENT, pre TOS though.

The reg numbers broadly incremented e.g 7xxxx by DS9/Voyager, so 1301 would place it a decent chunk of time before TOS. The hull shape may simply reflect an old and more basic design.

If I remember the premise of Axanar was that the federation tried a lot of designs to try and keep up with the Klingons, until they finally hit upon the constitution class. If the Discovery is one of these experimental designs then it explains a lot. It's not really a traditional federation ship like the NX-01 or the NCC-1701. A show set in an era when the Federation is getting its ass handed to it could be really interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love the idea of a Klingon/Federation mission set post-ST6. Lots of dramatic potential there. ST6 was basically about the end of the Cold War, so if this is set 20-30 years later, it could explore a lot of social and cultural issues of contemporary relevance. Setting it post-ST6 would also explain Nic Meyer's involvement.

Maybe the ship is really two ships? The saucer designed by Starfleet for exploratory purposes, and the engineering section designed by the Klingons for battle. They join together albeit somewhat awkwardly, much like their crews.

The problem with it being set post-ST6, of course, is that it would mean it's set in the Prime timeline. I think pre-Kelvin is probably more likely.

• Advertisement

The show is set in the prime timeline Sad Prof

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The show is set in the prime timeline Sad Prof

I know that's what Fuller said. The question is whether it's really set in the Prime timeline (i.e. post-destruction of the Kelvin when the timeline split) or whether it's set pre-Kelvin. If it's the latter, it's really neither Prime nor Kelvin and Fuller is being tricky.

Given Kurtzman's involvement and the new audience from the movies, I'll be sorta surprised if this is really set in the post-Kelvin Prime timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Some good news about the new show. It will be set in the Prime timeline:)

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

*cough*
    Axanar
    *cough*

Their assault on that project makes more sense now

Axanar's stuff was made by someone who was involved in ST already, no?

Besides, Axanar's a whole other can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I thought it had been stated somewhere that this would be prime timeline. That doesn't mean future seasons mightn't play around - Kurtzman was involved with Fringe where each season had a subtly different version of the world it was set in, with the same strong core cast slightly altered each time. It worked brillantly imo, and would adapt well to Star Trek. The strong central core crew that has been a great feature of all the shows so far could be retained, but their setting be shaken up over the seasons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, see the guy over on AICN makes the point that 1031 contains the numbers 31 and could be related to section 31.. a long shot but interesting.

While that sounds interesting I'm not sure I want to watch subtle alterations to the timeline in Trek. We've had the Kelvin timeline change already for the movies. I'd like to have the TV series remain firmly in prime with no deviations.

Is it too much to ask to want to watch regular Star Trek in the same timeline as Kirk, Picard etc. I want to see what happened elsewhere in the federation and if it influenced or led up to something later, or if something Kirk or Picard did directly led to something that affects this series, or a later season of this show.

Also, it doesn't have to be significant. I'll personally groan if this show is an earlier timeline show and we hear of an ensign Kirk or Picard in lower decks who it's inferred is a great grandfather of one of our well known characters. I'd hope they'll stay away from that kind of name dropping personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Delighted to see the show go with a new ship and leave the Enterprise behind.
    Disgusted with the look of the ship. It's an ugly ship. Also, they should never have released that dodgy CGI that looks like it came out from a 'The Asylum' production. Theme music was muck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Someone played with the trailer a bit and changed the music.... much better!

https://twitter.com/AndyCole84/status/756994951997566976

I can't decide whether I like the ship or not.. it does seem a bit of an awkward mix of styles but it's also still better than JJ's Enterprise.. hmmm

• Advertisement

Better with the ST6 theme, though it's slowed a bit too much. I still can't help but feel I'm watching the intro to a 2005 Star Trek pc game, & I'm having serious trouble warming to the ship...but if there's a decent explanation for the ship, like the hybrid Starfleet/Klingon design, then that's a good place to start.

Advertisement