Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

• 09-06-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starts July 15th. Bits of Close Encounters, ET, a bit of Stephen King, the 80s, throw them all in a blender and...

Amazing trailer, I really love the look of it.
    Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

80s - win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also it's good see Winona Ryder starting to look her age at last she didn't seem to age for 25 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

8 episodes seems quite short, but if the trailer is reflective of the final product it looks like this could be a fantastically cinematic production; very handsome, and looks chock full of atmosphere.

It's certainly wearing its cultural influences on its sleeve & ultimately that might dictate the relative success. I hope it tries to find its own voice and footing, rather than be too eager to riff and homage those influences. We've seen that kind of thing in the past with films such as Super 8 et al.

Did not realize that was Winona Ryder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Also it's good see Winona Ryder starting to look her age at last she didn't seem to age for 25 years.

Thats because after the shop-lifting incident she didn't work for years and all you saw were repeats of old stuff. ;)

• Advertisement

Isn't it crazy that at that point shoplifting lost Ryder so much, yet working actors have done much worse than that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ok, I was sold on the first trailer.

Now even more so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

What rating is this guys looks like something my 13yr old son would love.

• Advertisement

Honestly if the whole series lives up to those two trailers this could be a truly amazing series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm getting a slight The Watcher in the Woods vibe from the second trailer.

What rating is this guys looks like something my 13yr old son would love.

It says "Guidance" here:
    https://www.netflix.com/ie/title/80057281

They explain here:
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2064
    Netflix Guidance (G): Members should read reviews or pre-watch the movie or shows to best determine its appropriateness for Little Kids, Older Kids, and Teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Slydice wrote: »

I see that page but I don't see "Guidance" on it.

Occono wrote: »
    I see that page but I don't see "Guidance" on it.

i'm not signed in, here's where I see it (circled in red, pointed to by the red arrow):
    390401.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it's half as good as those trailers then it could be something special. They've certainly doubled down on the feel of the era, that's for sure. I wonder if the music from the trailer is indicative of the soundtrack because even that's clearly looking back to those Spielberg-suburban-era melodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

i'm not signed in, here's where I see it (circled in red, pointed to by the red arrow):
    390401.jpg

Ah, it's actually not there if you go to the page whilst signed in, heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow ET meets Stand By Me and X Files, looks fab

First review of the series is on Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/tv/stranger-things/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    First review of the series is on Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/tv/stranger-things/
    Hmmm... average review in Empire? That's worrying considering they gave the universally panned Independence Day: Resurgence 4/5.

We'll see. I still love the aesthetic of Stranger Things, so I'll make my own mind up.

Basq wrote: »
    Hmmm... average review in Empire? That's worrying considering they gave the universally panned Independence Day: Resurgence 4/5.

Without checking who reviewed what, I'm presuming the recession didn't hit Empire so hard that they have 1 writer across the entire magazine; no matter the editorial stance of a publication, different writers are always going to display occasionally contradictory tendencies & preferences that can't really be compared with each other.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic as the trailers have looked so good - like really, really good - but equally there's a chance the end product could just wallow too much in the 80s nostalgia, and the influences it's very clearly wearing on its sleeve.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep, Empire is a blip (probably from some old crusty!). This is getting positive reviews across the board.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/stranger-things-review-roundup-winona-ryder-netflix-series-1201703941/

Hrmmm, this evidence sounds more a review of Empires poor ability to review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

This looks very good hopefully it'll live up to the trailers

All episodes now online!

Watched some of the first episode before work.. and really liked what I saw.. music is great if anything else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched 2 episodes this morning, usually that's about as much as I can binge a show but I am tempted to press play on episode 3 now too.

It has the feel of something like Super 8 more than the likes of ET or Stand By Me, in that it's obviously heavily inspired by them but still feels like a modern show, if that makes sense....

I thought the kids would be annoying after the first scene with them in Mike's basement but they've grown on me and the kid playing Ele is brilliant. I've never heard someone say "No" with such an array of emotion :D

With regards to the person asking earlier whether their 13 year old could watch it, so far I'd say yes but there are a few moments that made me jump if not actually scare me. I know 13 year old me would have loved this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Watched the first episode - really enjoyed it. I think anyone who loves that 80s style and feel will happily watch this show... Not to mention the music - they get bonus points for using my favourite song in the first episode...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looking forward to checking this out tonight.

Will definitely try and catch an episode tonight; no doubt in that time half the people here will have binged their way through the whole 8 episodes though ;):(

pixelburp wrote: »
    Will definitely try and catch an episode tonight; no doubt in that time half the people here will have binged their way through the whole 8 episodes though ;):(

I'm actually tempted to try - my sister is getting married tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to watch any of it tomorrow or Sunday...

That said, I don't think I'll manage it, as I haven't binged anything in years.

I'm actually tempted to try - my sister is getting married tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to watch any of it tomorrow or Sunday...

That said, I don't think I'll manage it, as I haven't binged anything in years.

Sure why engorge and rush something, when you can savour the flavour by taking your time :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sure why engorge and rush something, when you can savour the flavour by taking your time :D

Because it's intriguing and I want to know what happens next... and I want to know it now! ;)

• Advertisement

Skip the wedding!

FM1423-800x600.jpg

Basq wrote: »
    Skip the wedding!

FM1423-800x600.jpg

Oh how I would if I was let - having to dress up in a bloody suit and socialize with family members I generally try my best to avoid... Give me Netflix over that any day of the week, but I haven't really been given a choice - they made me agree to write & read a poem for the ceremony, so I kinda suppose I have to be there... :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't think I'll binge-watch the whole series tonight. Watching episode 3 at the moment and I think after that I'll leave the rest until Monday & Tuesday night, in order to savour it a little. Really enjoying it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Fantastic so far, loving the 80's vibe - that's tonight and most of tomorrow sorted ;)

Loved the nod to ET in episode 3 when the mother brings the casserole the little girl is dressed like Drew Barrymore and has her hair in pigtails.

Oh and the soundtrack is amazing.

I meant to say earlier, I wonder if
    Eleven is the Sheriff's dead daughter? They didn't mention how she died, not in the first two episodes anyway

• Advertisement

One episode in and I'm planning on getting through this whole series ASAP!

It really gains momentum in Episode 3. Look forward to getting into the rest of it early next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Loved the nod to ET in episode 3 when the mother brings the casserole the little girl is dressed like Drew Barrymore and has her hair in pigtails.

Oh and the soundtrack is amazing.

The light scene with the little girl in this episode is magic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Walkie talkies are bigger than the kids' heads. :pac:

Watched the first episode and wow, really tense, mysterious stuff. Deeply cinematic in tone and presentation and i hope that persists through the series. Thankfully, the setting and period wasn't laid on too thick beyond a few lingering glances at unfortunate fashion choices. The nostalgia for the 80s is there but it's passing.

On the 3rd episode now.. it really has been superb so far!

Although, I can't be the only one who thinks of this lad every time Steve is on screen:

JeanRalphio.png

"Flu-hushed with ca-hash!"

Just finished the third episode! WOW!
    OMG WHAT'S GOING ON, IS HE DEAD OR ALIVE. FEELS BUT NOT SURE WHAT FEELS!"!!

Must sleep now! More tomorrow!

Just finished the third episode! WOW!
    OMG WHAT'S GOING ON, IS HE DEAD OR ALIVE. FEELS BUT NOT SURE WHAT FEELS!"!!

Must sleep now! More tomorrow!
    Just finished episode 3 too.. can't wait til tomorrow.. onto episode 4!

Episode 4 is called
    The Body
    - surely a Stand By Me reference.

Can I just echo those sentiments on episode 3 and add a HOLY JAYSUS!

I've no idea what's going on but I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just finished the last episode, brilliant series - hope Netflix do more like this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement