Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

• 09-06-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starts July 15th. Bits of Close Encounters, ET, a bit of Stephen King, the 80s, throw them all in a blender and...

Amazing trailer, I really love the look of it.
    Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

80s - win.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also it's good see Winona Ryder starting to look her age at last she didn't seem to age for 25 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

8 episodes seems quite short, but if the trailer is reflective of the final product it looks like this could be a fantastically cinematic production; very handsome, and looks chock full of atmosphere.

It's certainly wearing its cultural influences on its sleeve & ultimately that might dictate the relative success. I hope it tries to find its own voice and footing, rather than be too eager to riff and homage those influences. We've seen that kind of thing in the past with films such as Super 8 et al.

Did not realize that was Winona Ryder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Also it's good see Winona Ryder starting to look her age at last she didn't seem to age for 25 years.

Thats because after the shop-lifting incident she didn't work for years and all you saw were repeats of old stuff. ;)

• Advertisement

Isn't it crazy that at that point shoplifting lost Ryder so much, yet working actors have done much worse than that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ok, I was sold on the first trailer.

Now even more so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

What rating is this guys looks like something my 13yr old son would love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Honestly if the whole series lives up to those two trailers this could be a truly amazing series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm getting a slight The Watcher in the Woods vibe from the second trailer.

What rating is this guys looks like something my 13yr old son would love.

It says "Guidance" here:
    https://www.netflix.com/ie/title/80057281

They explain here:
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2064
    Netflix Guidance (G): Members should read reviews or pre-watch the movie or shows to best determine its appropriateness for Little Kids, Older Kids, and Teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Slydice wrote: »

I see that page but I don't see "Guidance" on it.

Occono wrote: »
    I see that page but I don't see "Guidance" on it.

i'm not signed in, here's where I see it (circled in red, pointed to by the red arrow):
    390401.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it's half as good as those trailers then it could be something special. They've certainly doubled down on the feel of the era, that's for sure. I wonder if the music from the trailer is indicative of the soundtrack because even that's clearly looking back to those Spielberg-suburban-era melodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Slydice wrote: »
    i'm not signed in, here's where I see it (circled in red, pointed to by the red arrow):
    390401.jpg

Ah, it's actually not there if you go to the page whilst signed in, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow ET meets Stand By Me and X Files, looks fab

First review of the series is on Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/tv/stranger-things/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    First review of the series is on Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/tv/stranger-things/
    Hmmm... average review in Empire? That's worrying considering they gave the universally panned Independence Day: Resurgence 4/5.

We'll see. I still love the aesthetic of Stranger Things, so I'll make my own mind up.

Basq wrote: »
    Hmmm... average review in Empire? That's worrying considering they gave the universally panned Independence Day: Resurgence 4/5.

Without checking who reviewed what, I'm presuming the recession didn't hit Empire so hard that they have 1 writer across the entire magazine; no matter the editorial stance of a publication, different writers are always going to display occasionally contradictory tendencies & preferences that can't really be compared with each other.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic as the trailers have looked so good - like really, really good - but equally there's a chance the end product could just wallow too much in the 80s nostalgia, and the influences it's very clearly wearing on its sleeve.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep, Empire is a blip (probably from some old crusty!). This is getting positive reviews across the board.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/stranger-things-review-roundup-winona-ryder-netflix-series-1201703941/

Hrmmm, this evidence sounds more a review of Empires poor ability to review

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭dunworth1

This looks very good hopefully it'll live up to the trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

All episodes now online!

Watched some of the first episode before work.. and really liked what I saw.. music is great if anything else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched 2 episodes this morning, usually that's about as much as I can binge a show but I am tempted to press play on episode 3 now too.

It has the feel of something like Super 8 more than the likes of ET or Stand By Me, in that it's obviously heavily inspired by them but still feels like a modern show, if that makes sense....

I thought the kids would be annoying after the first scene with them in Mike's basement but they've grown on me and the kid playing Ele is brilliant. I've never heard someone say "No" with such an array of emotion :D

With regards to the person asking earlier whether their 13 year old could watch it, so far I'd say yes but there are a few moments that made me jump if not actually scare me. I know 13 year old me would have loved this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Watched the first episode - really enjoyed it. I think anyone who loves that 80s style and feel will happily watch this show... Not to mention the music - they get bonus points for using my favourite song in the first episode...

Advertisement