Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It's now cheaper for me to get the train from Dublin to Galway than the bus. Unless I get Bus Eireann. And that's not happening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm a little too proud with the joke I just made on IRC. I think it's one of my better ones in a while tbh.

389944.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Playing Gortoz a Ran and just reminded me of some the people ive met over the years on boards. so i went looking for them and sad to see their accounts closed. and just seeing the names of some users who are no longer here with us living. its actually making me sad.

But im going to make it my business to get in touch with them and call out to their house for tea.I really hate change when i dont have control over it :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

My friend is angry at me cause she tagged me in a video entitled "when your metal head friend tries showing you their music". It shows a parrot just staring at another parrot going mental throwing it's head forward and back listening to metal music. (Said friend is a metal fan) replied that I thought it was brilliantly accurate and could I recommend a good chiropractor for any neck injuries sustained. Now she's all pissy cause it turns out one of the members from a metal band isnt allowed head bang any more cause of injuries sustained from headbanging before and didnt realise.....if anything I think that kinda makes my comment more amusing cause I was just basing it off the bird video but it turns out this is an actual problem in metal music.....I don't know am I wrong here. It was just meant to be a funny comment but she's actually pissed at me over it...

Am I wrong here :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

HugsiePie wrote: »
    My friend is angry at me cause she tagged me in a video entitled "when your metal head friend tries showing you their music". It shows a parrot just staring at another parrot going mental throwing it's head forward and back listening to metal music. (Said friend is a metal fan) replied that I thought it was brilliantly accurate and could I recommend a good chiropractor for any neck injuries sustained. Now she's all pissy cause it turns out one of the members from a metal band isnt allowed head bang any more cause of injuries sustained from headbanging before and didnt realise.....if anything I think that kinda makes my comment more amusing cause I was just basing it off the bird video but it turns out this is an actual problem in metal music.....I don't know am I wrong here. It was just meant to be a funny comment but she's actually pissed at me over it...

Am I wrong here :(

Hugsie, you are, 100%, definitively, objectively not wrong in this situation.

Unless the person in the metal band was her brother, in which case it may have been slightly insensitive, but if it's just some random dude from a band, then it's f*cking hilarious that someone ACTUALLY injured themselves headbanging. And if it WAS your friend's brother or someone she knows, IT'S STILL FUNNY THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY HURT THEMSELVES HEADBANGING! I'm sorry, that's just a funny way to get injured.

And even if your friend didn't find the headbanging joke funny, to get upset about it is just stupid, given they started the exchange by throwing a dig at you...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Hugsie, you're totally in the right. Don't even worry about it

Thanks guys. Yeah it's not someone she's knows personally. It's someone from a famous band....she's been a little cold recently anyways. IDK why. Maybe she's angry with me over something else. Oh well it'll be fine :o

Thanks guys. Yeah it's not someone she's knows personally. It's someone from a famous band....she's been a little cold recently anyways. IDK why. Maybe she's angry with me over something else. Oh well it'll be fine :o

Meh, she's a metal head. She'll be no loss as a friend.

:P

I feel like I should be offended, but I was more of an emo kid. Teenage LoonyLovegood had a 'coon tail.

TBH, I'm just far beyond letting people's opinions on what I like affect me, especially when it comes to music.

There was a time when I subscribed to the whole "Oh it's just a guilty pleasure!" bullsh*t. Then I saw Dara O'Briain slamming that and I just realised it really doesn't matter what other people think. I'll rock the f*ck out to Justin Bieber, Britney Spears or any other pop music that hipsters or indie heads snarl at. I'm not going to be ashamed that those vibrations sound good to my ears.

Similarly, I used to deny the fact that I watch Home and Away. Now, f*ck it. I love that sh*t. I know it's utter trash, but it entertains me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm deeply insecure about pretty much everything else in my life, but my tastes certainly aren't one of them.

• Advertisement

I try to be the same. There's a reason Nickleback are one of the biggest bands in the world, there's no point lying about it, enough people like them (and I'm one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I was into punk exclusively as a teen. Until I realised that ,far from being the totems of open mindedness that punk and metal music claims to be, they have some of the most closeminded, elitist communities in all of music.

Now when people ask me what kind of music I like I answer with I just love music in general.

I was into punk exclusively as a teen. Until I realised that far from being the totems of open mindedness that punk and metal music claims to be they have some of the most closely fed elitist communities.

Now when people ask me what kind of music I like I answer with I just love music in general.

The one problem with that is that when you know you're talking to someone who's deeply passionate about a particular genre of music, saying "I dunno, I just like a bit of everything really..." sounds like such a cop-out answer. But I mean, it's true, I love hip-hop, rock, country, pop, soul, dance, electro...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The one problem with that is that when you know you're talking to someone who's deeply passionate about a particular genre of music, saying "I dunno, I just like a bit of everything really..." sounds like such a cop-out answer. But I mean, it's true, I love hip-hop, rock, country, pop, soul, dance, electro...
    Well I always follow it up with a list of what I'm listening to at the minute. Usually four or five different genres or more even.

I grew up on classic rock, country and trad. Back in the days when the only music I knew was my parents'(dads got good taste, mam listens to ****)
    Went through pop punk in my early teens, real punk in my late teens as well as Jamaican music.
    Jamaican music led me to hip hip.
    Lived with an ex DJ for a time who got me into all types of electronic.trance,house,dnb etc
    Listened to lots of American folk growing up.
    Fallout got me into jazz and swing and all the good vintage music.
    Alt folk.
    I no longer pretend to dislike pop music.
    Manufactured or not it's lots of fun.

Newest discovery is chillhop. Chillhop is love and life all in one.

I got really into K-Pop and J-Pop two years ago. Some of it is just so ridiculously happy and cheerful. It makes a nice change from the oft dour and pouting crap that populates "cool" music.

On the topic of discovering new music though, where do you guys generally learn about new bands and stuff? I'm sort of at a loss. I use Spotify and have discovered some stuff on there, but it's very hit and miss. I cannot stand Pitchfork or most music journalists (The Guardian in particular has really irked me just now) because they're so snarky and condescending to anything that isn't a whiny guy with a guitar, and seem more interested in getting a witty put down in rather than talking about stuff they actually like. I mean, seriously, The Guardian's "New Music" thing this week is literally 5 songs that the writer doesn't even seem to like. I just don't get that.

I used to discover a lot on last.fm back in the day, but I can't remember teh last time I logged in there. :P

On the topic of discovering new music though, where do you guys generally learn about new bands and stuff?
    Generally word of mouth. I don't talk much but I'll talk for hours about music with anyone. So if someone at work or a friend mentions a band they like I'll generally check it out.

R/music is great and all the other music related subs in Reddit.you find some great suggestions

Soundtracks from tv, film and video games. Gta informed many musical interests in early life. Fallout taught me about jazz.
    The walking dead used a Mountain goats song in the fourth season and now I'm 2 years and 400 songs deep into that rabbit hole. So what I'm saying isif you come across a song you like in pop culture than check out some more of the groups catalogue and you may be hooked.

Also there's a sitecalled gnoosic where you input bands you like and then it gives you suggestions
    Of groups in a similar vein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

On the topic of discovering new music though, where do you guys generally learn about new bands and stuff?

Not helpful.. but Dutch radio.

pajor wrote: »
    Not helpful.. but Dutch radio.

Any particular stations you'd recommend? (TuneIn is the job :P )

And Hugsie, you've always been banned. I sent you to Coventry* months ago. :P

*term on message boards where mods set it so you can post, but no one sees your posts.

I am a weirdo who doesnt really listen to music.

Like if all music was to cease immediately it wouldnt really affect me/I wouldnt particulary care. The only time I listen to music is during work just so I dont have to talk to my coworkers-Im so social! :o

Am I banned now? :pac:
    Music is one of the few types of small talk I can actually tolerate.
    If I didn't listen to and chat about music at work I think I'd murder everyone who wanted to talk about the weather or about how hungover they are.

if music isnt your jam what is? I can't even think of what I'd replace music with in my recreational life.

Any particular stations you'd recommend? (TuneIn is the job :P )

TuneIn is the job. 3FM for all types of music. Introduced me to Blossoms and Tame Impala for example.

SlamFM is the one for dance music.

SkyRadio doesn't use presenters, only play music. Except for ads and news.

• Advertisement

Music is one of the few types of small talk I can actually tolerate.
    If I didn't listen to and chat about music at work I think I'd murder everyone who wanted to talk about the weather or about how hungover they are.

if music isnt your jam what is? I can't even think of what I'd replace music with in my recreational life.

I dont have a life, I thought this was already a well established fact here :P

These people are my spirit animals!
    13619821_1291490207591743_7751655305421341220_n.jpg?oh=f5f17494132d5ed5c2ae2dfaf759549c&oe=5829EC0D
    We don’t have any hobbies. But we do try to get together a few times a month to judge people and complain about things

I dont have a life, I thought this was already a well established fact here :P

These people are my spirit animals!
    Is that dapper jacket part of the uniform? I gots to get me one of those

Guys...my life is strange. Went to a conference last night and planned to get the last bus home. Instead I ended up in the resident's bar in the hotel, getting pints bought for me by politicians.

Guys...my life is strange. Went to a conference last night and planned to get the last bus home. Instead I ended up in the resident's bar in the hotel, getting pints bought for me by politicians.

Enjoy it.. that's the real centre of power. :pac:

Also sounds like it could be the beginning of a political thriller novel.

I enjoy reading the comments under Mitt Romney's statuses on Facebook.

They make me laugh, they make me cry, they make me realise that, sometimes, free speech isn't a good thing. :pac:

So got a friend an interview at work they didn't even have the decency to let me know found out on Facebook. I really question why I'm so nice to people when I can't even be respected. Talk about feeling disappointed 😞

pajor wrote: »
    Enjoy it.. that's the real centre of power. :pac:

Also sounds like it could be the beginning of a political thriller novel.

So there I was. In the conference men and women all sat around me. I was bored out of my mind these faces I did not know, who were these powerful people that I was seated with. Time went by and the conference ended I was on my own where do I go. Do I follow them? Do I go home. I hesitated for a moment trying to decide when a hand laid upon my shoulder "following us to the residents bar ma'lady" said a voice as they walked on past. That's how I got to where I am that one night was my key and I took it but my story does not end there the thriller is only beginning..

Jhcx wrote: »
    So there I was. In the conference men and women all sat around me. I was bored out of my mind these faces I did not know, who were these powerful people that I was seated with. Time went by and the conference ended I was on my own where do I go. Do I follow them? Do I go home. I hesitated for a moment trying to decide when a hand laid upon my shoulder "following us to the residents bar ma'lady" said a voice as they walked on past. That's how I got to where I am that one night was my key and I took it but my story does not end there the thriller is only beginning..

Don't even tempt me! (Although the barman kept calling me Ma'am, my God. I'm not old enough for that!)

Sat here in the work canteen and theres 2 English guys complaining how the tv is broken and that somehow indicates theyre less than second class citizens.....cause the canteen tv is broken.

I dont think Ive ever heard anything as British in my life :P

What about this?

(Context: They spent like 2 months trying to get him to do this accent :pac:)

• Advertisement

Only been in my job a month already starting to question whether I'll be able to keep it up. It's a grand job but like yesterday and today proved tough not getting 2 seconds without you name being called. Feel like going to get nothing done. And making so many mistakes cause of the rush.

Advertisement