Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Windows 10, a pile of utter sh*te.

- No drivers for one of the audio things installed on my laptop.
    - My touchpad is no longer capable of one touch scrolling (common issue)
    - No drivers for the model of printer I have
    - Absolutely horrendous to use when you need to use a magnifier like I do. Searching from the start menu is nigh on impossible because it does something incredibly weird, and the zooming in and out shortcut will randomly stop working (which it never did on 7)

I didn't even WANT to "up"grade, I just wasn't paying attention two nights ago, and next thing I knew my laptop was shutting down and installing the update.

Again: Pile o' sh*te.

i could argue with the issues youve listed as ive just upgraded a 2005 xp computer with no drivers supported past windows vista all currently working. but to be fair i dont care anymore i dont get paid by MS to promote 10. the only issue is it takes weeks to fix the problems and well thats what i get paid to do lol. :pac: . TBF MS kicked themselves in the sack by trying to fix something thats not broken. they clearly havent got the memo since 1985. and they just sent out more updates which has broken my desktop and laptop #notimpressed just means i have to waste more time fixing an issue that shouldnt need to be fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Got approached by two lovely Latvian gentlemen in town today who wanted "€2 for a bottle of booze?". I appreciated their moxy and honesty.

Not enough to give them cash, but still!

Can anyone enlightened me in these two things

Apparently FG only managed to get 25% of the vote yet still won(makes no sense to me at all, I must have picked that up wrong)

And why can't we fire those people that work for Luas(I can't call them drivers after the mockery they're putting the country through)

I just don't even know anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I can answer one; the Luas drivers are protected by trade unions.

Plus, isn't Transdev a private company? In which "we" (taxpayers) have literally no say in their industrial relations. And Transdev would be incredibly unwise to fire the drivers, as it would probably lead to an all-out strike by SIPTU which would bring the entire country to a halt.

As for FG, they "won" because they won more seats than any other party. They're still the most popular political party in the country.

As for FG, they "won" because they won more seats than any other party. They're still the most popular political party in the country.

Thats what my understanding is . but i seem to be hitting a wall when its mentioned to others lol

I have a bad case of the happies today.

386783.PNG

It had been over a year since the last name change. So damn it, I took action!

IMG_8429resized.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It had been over a year since the last name change. So damn it, I took action!

I've an idea for you. A few years back on another forum on a different website, a few of us arranged a session of power-posting. Not spamming pointless stuff, but posting relevant updates in as many existing threads as we could think of. D'you reckon if a few of us tried that some day we could kick-start a bit of life about the place again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It could definitely work...I think? I hope? I love this forum too much to let it go <3

Sounds like it's worth a try.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pajor wrote: »
    Sounds like it's worth a try.

I'll go get my laptop. :pac:

So, eh, this experiment was a bit of an eye-opener! :eek: Even going back two or three pages shows how few new threads there have been on here in the last few years. It's mostly Jizzlers nominations and votes and awards threads once you get beyond page one. Might be time to re-visit old ideas in new threads to avoid dragging up personal stuff that the old regulars shared back in 2009-2011?

Bit of a random one, but have any of you attempted to learn a new language (after Secondary School that is).

I've been messing around with Duolingo for a bit, and while it definitely works in that I'm recognising words and figuring out how to sentences are constructed, I find it very difficult to work out how words are pronounced or how to run them together.

• Advertisement

Bit of a random one, but have any of you attempted to learn a new language (after Secondary School that is).

I've been messing around with Duolingo for a bit, and while it definitely works in that I'm recognising words and figuring out how to sentences are constructed, I find it very difficult to work out how words are pronounced or how to run them together.

Ik spreek geweldig nederlands nu. :pac:

I'm really trying to learn Dutch. It's pretty difficult though. Full of unusual rules which are not actually rules of the language. Word order is also pretty weird. Pronunciation ain't the easiest either. :D

Only way you can do it is by living in a country where they speak said language. It's what people always say about learning languages, it's annoying but it's true.

I've been doing a 'Dutch for foreigners' home study course. I'm getting good grades at it but don't really feel like I'm learning that much from it. At some point I want to do proper classroom lessons, should help better.

Ik spreek geweldig nederlands nu. :pac:

I'm really trying to learn Dutch. It's pretty difficult though. Full of unusual rules which are not actually rules of the language. Word order is also pretty weird. Pronunciation ain't the easiest either. :D

Only way you can do it is by living in a country where they speak said language. It's what people always say about learning languages, it's annoying but it's true.

I've been doing a 'Dutch for foreigners' home study course. I'm getting good grades at it but don't really feel like I'm learning that much from it. At some point I want to do proper classroom lessons, should help better.

Yeah, my brother can speak a bit of Dutch from his time living in Belgium. On the rare occasions I've heard him speak it, or if I've ever read stuff in Dutch, it's similar enough to German that I feel like I should understand it, but different enough that it completely baffles me most of the time. :pac:

Basically I'm just trying to get a very basic level of Danish. Apparently most Danes speak English anyway and all the "Tips if You're Moving Here" articles seem to say "You can easily get by without Danish", but I think it'd be nice to make the effort if I end up moving over there for 2+ years like. :P

Yeah, my brother can speak a bit of Dutch from his time living in Belgium. On the rare occasions I've heard him speak it, or if I've ever read stuff in Dutch, it's similar enough to German that I feel like I should understand it, but different enough that it completely baffles me most of the time. :pac:

The Dutch that they speak here and in Belgium can be two very different things. You know it's very different when Belgians are subtitled on Dutch tv. :D

People in shops and restaurants understand me usually well enough when asking for stuff here. Last August we went to Antwerp for a weekend. Got a lot of funny looks by waiting staff. 'Where the f*ck is this guy from?'

I never studied German so haven't had that sort of head start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

This is off topic buuuuuuuut I'm getting very few hours at work (last week I was only in for 6 hours. Im in tomorrow for 16 hours but thats my hours for the week) so I think I should start applying for other jobs. Thing is 1. its very late in the summer and 2. I deferred 4 exams which I now have to sit in August so I'll need a week or 2 off then....

Does anyone have any advice?

HugsiePie wrote: »
    This is off topic buuuuuuuut I'm getting very few hours at work (last week I was only in for 6 hours. Im in tomorrow for 16 hours but thats my hours for the week) so I think I should start applying for other jobs. Thing is 1. its very late in the summer and 2. I deferred 4 exams which I now have to sit in August so I'll need a week or 2 off then....

Does anyone have any advice?

Got a second job

Den den deeeeeeeennn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Going for m Dole interview tomorrow (woo love my life, how proud could one be) But I need to bring proof that I've been actively job hunting? Like I've been applying for jobs online so I don't really know what I can send? Rejection emails? Or just emails containing my cover letter and CV in the attachments?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Going for m Dole interview tomorrow (woo love my life, how proud could one be) But I need to bring proof that I've been actively job hunting? Like I've been applying for jobs online so I don't really know what I can send? Rejection emails? Or just emails containing my cover letter and CV in the attachments?

Having never had to do that interview, I can't say for sure, but I'd say that's exactly the sort of stuff you'd need to bring. Particularly rejections as those are better proof that you actually applied.

That said, the people I know who've gone for it say they haven't been asked for much really, but that could just be our local guys. :P

Best of luck with it anyway!

Having never had to do that interview, I can't say for sure, but I'd say that's exactly the sort of stuff you'd need to bring. Particularly rejections as those are better proof that you actually applied.

That said, the people I know who've gone for it say they haven't been asked for much really, but that could just be our local guys. :P

Best of luck with it anyway!

Thanks! There's so much **** I'm asked to bring and even more to fill out but I wonder how they'd scrutinise it all in a short interview
    Wish I never had to go through with it alas, I need to live..

There's a section about whether you're asking for back payments or not, wondering is it cheeky or not of me to ask for
    I actually went in almost 3 weeks ago to get an appointment(and am eligible since end of May) but tomorrow was the soonest they could give me

Thanks! There's so much **** I'm asked to bring and even more to fill out but I wonder how they'd scrutinise it all in a short interview
    Wish I never had to go through with it alas, I need to live..

There's a section about whether you're asking for back payments or not, wondering is it cheeky or not of me to ask for
    I actually went in almost 3 weeks ago to get an appointment(and am eligible since end of May) but tomorrow was the soonest they could give me

I would say if you're entitled to it, claim it.

At the end of the day, this is what you pay tax for when you are working.

Social Welfare tend to ask for a load of stuff when you go to meet them. I had to go in when they switched over to the new Social Services Card (I'm entitled to free travel, so I get one of these cards automatically) and they asked for about 15 different things. As soon as I went in and sat down yer wan was like "Yeah, you really didn't need to bring that, or that, or that, or that... as long as you have this you're grand." :P

I would say if you're entitled to it, claim it.

At the end of the day, this is what you pay tax for when you are working.

Social Welfare tend to ask for a load of stuff when you go to meet them. I had to go in when they switched over to the new Social Services Card (I'm entitled to free travel, so I get one of these cards automatically) and they asked for about 15 different things. As soon as I went in and sat down yer wan was like "Yeah, you really didn't need to bring that, or that, or that, or that... as long as you have this you're grand." :P

Yea I'm kinda hoping that's the case, like why make it a more of a **** ordeal than it already is!
    Do you know roughly how long it takes them to process it before you get paid?

Try claim back payments, that's what I did. I brought in the automated emails from jobs.ie, and they didn't even look at them.

Thanks guys, ended up being a fuss over nothing they didn't even ask if I'd proof of job searching!
    Back date seems in order to so I just have to patiently for a confirmation letter &#55357;&#56504;&#55357;&#56504;

Thanks guys, ended up being a fuss over nothing they didn't even ask if I'd proof of job searching!
    Back date seems in order to so I just have to patiently for a confirmation letter ����

You know now you have to start ringing in to phone-in shows like Niall Boylan and Joe Duffy as soon as you're officially on the dole yeah?

If you're ever up for a review, that's one thing they WILL want proof of. :P

Hmph. I wish I could get the dole. :o

Hmph. I wish I could get the dole. :o

Don't worry, I'm sure when they begin pressuring me into schemes like jobsbridge I'll start contemplating how bad life on the street really is

• Advertisement

So we've done it. We've become the first country to leave the ruling European Union.

There's no denying I'm a bit scared it's a new future and I hope it can prosper to greatness as a citizen of both there's no denying it affects me

But congratulations England and Wales cause Scotland and Northern Ireland wanted to stay. I hope we've made the right decision Good luck

Major plus side to Brexit - the laptop I want to buy is literally €50 cheaper today than it was earlier this week. A few more days of uncertainty would be good for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I think it's pretty interesting how uncertain things are becoming in Europe. One hundred years on from the great war. Russians starting to Sabre rattle in the Baltic states against NATO expansion. The immigration crisis and all the pissed off member states who don't want them. And now the UK leaves. If other unhappy states follow suit the eu could be naught but a memory
    The continent could be a powder keg waiting for a spark and we'd be none the wiser till it happened.

I like trains :)

Time for a C&H Brexit thread?

I like trains :)

Bazinga?

An File wrote: »
    Time for a C&H Brexit thread?

no we need to let this die as fast as possible so that we can move on as fast as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Major plus side to Brexit - the laptop I want to buy is literally €50 cheaper today than it was earlier this week. A few more days of uncertainty would be good for me...
    I just hope it holds when the GTX1080 laptops launch a couple of months from now. I really need to replace my old one.

More so that was a very intelligent sounding post....one in which I'm too dumb to.understand :P

That being said I actually do like trains.....

More wild speculation than anything else but I think its an interesting time to be a European.

More of a jj kavanagh fan really. Trains are too expensive :p

Can i just take a moment here and just say The Queen, Isnt she just amazing. As a human not figure of power. like The photo ive added below 90 years of age and so alive. I look at the people around me but this lady just inspires something. And i really do hope i get to see my grandparents as alive at that age. Im not one to notice people really. other peoples lives just dont interest me, but for some reason everytime i see HM i cant help but take a minute .

queen-elizabeth-a-435.jpg

Sorry for this interruption to your lives, please do carry on. Your attention to this post has been greatly appreciated. :pac:

• Advertisement

Jhcx wrote: »
    Can i just take a moment here and just say The Queen, Isnt she just amazing. As a human not figure of power. like The photo ive added below 90 years of age and so alive. I look at the people around me but this lady just inspires something. And i really do hope i get to see my grandparents as alive at that age. Im not one to notice people really. other peoples lives just dont interest me, but for some reason everytime i see HM i cant help but take a minute .

Sorry for this interruption to your lives, please do carry on. Your attention to this post has been greatly appreciated. :pac:

It's now cheaper for me to get the train from Dublin to Galway than the bus. Unless I get Bus Eireann. And that's not happening.

I'm a little too proud with the joke I just made on IRC. I think it's one of my better ones in a while tbh.

389944.PNG

Playing Gortoz a Ran and just reminded me of some the people ive met over the years on boards. so i went looking for them and sad to see their accounts closed. and just seeing the names of some users who are no longer here with us living. its actually making me sad.

But im going to make it my business to get in touch with them and call out to their house for tea.I really hate change when i dont have control over it :( .

My friend is angry at me cause she tagged me in a video entitled "when your metal head friend tries showing you their music". It shows a parrot just staring at another parrot going mental throwing it's head forward and back listening to metal music. (Said friend is a metal fan) replied that I thought it was brilliantly accurate and could I recommend a good chiropractor for any neck injuries sustained. Now she's all pissy cause it turns out one of the members from a metal band isnt allowed head bang any more cause of injuries sustained from headbanging before and didnt realise.....if anything I think that kinda makes my comment more amusing cause I was just basing it off the bird video but it turns out this is an actual problem in metal music.....I don't know am I wrong here. It was just meant to be a funny comment but she's actually pissed at me over it...

Am I wrong here :(

My friend is angry at me cause she tagged me in a video entitled "when your metal head friend tries showing you their music". It shows a parrot just staring at another parrot going mental throwing it's head forward and back listening to metal music. (Said friend is a metal fan) replied that I thought it was brilliantly accurate and could I recommend a good chiropractor for any neck injuries sustained. Now she's all pissy cause it turns out one of the members from a metal band isnt allowed head bang any more cause of injuries sustained from headbanging before and didnt realise.....if anything I think that kinda makes my comment more amusing cause I was just basing it off the bird video but it turns out this is an actual problem in metal music.....I don't know am I wrong here. It was just meant to be a funny comment but she's actually pissed at me over it...

Am I wrong here :(

Hugsie, you are, 100%, definitively, objectively not wrong in this situation.

Unless the person in the metal band was her brother, in which case it may have been slightly insensitive, but if it's just some random dude from a band, then it's f*cking hilarious that someone ACTUALLY injured themselves headbanging. And if it WAS your friend's brother or someone she knows, IT'S STILL FUNNY THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY HURT THEMSELVES HEADBANGING! I'm sorry, that's just a funny way to get injured.

And even if your friend didn't find the headbanging joke funny, to get upset about it is just stupid, given they started the exchange by throwing a dig at you...

• Advertisement

Hugsie, you're totally in the right. Don't even worry about it

Thanks guys. Yeah it's not someone she's knows personally. It's someone from a famous band....she's been a little cold recently anyways. IDK why. Maybe she's angry with me over something else. Oh well it'll be fine :o

Thanks guys. Yeah it's not someone she's knows personally. It's someone from a famous band....she's been a little cold recently anyways. IDK why. Maybe she's angry with me over something else. Oh well it'll be fine :o

Meh, she's a metal head. She'll be no loss as a friend.

:P

I feel like I should be offended, but I was more of an emo kid. Teenage LoonyLovegood had a 'coon tail.

TBH, I'm just far beyond letting people's opinions on what I like affect me, especially when it comes to music.

There was a time when I subscribed to the whole "Oh it's just a guilty pleasure!" bullsh*t. Then I saw Dara O'Briain slamming that and I just realised it really doesn't matter what other people think. I'll rock the f*ck out to Justin Bieber, Britney Spears or any other pop music that hipsters or indie heads snarl at. I'm not going to be ashamed that those vibrations sound good to my ears.

Similarly, I used to deny the fact that I watch Home and Away. Now, f*ck it. I love that sh*t. I know it's utter trash, but it entertains me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm deeply insecure about pretty much everything else in my life, but my tastes certainly aren't one of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement