Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Deise Vu wrote: »
    That is simply not true. Google the layout of Oscar's pad and you will get an even better idea of how ludicrous his story is. He had to make two 'blind' right turns into a darkened area where he thought murderers and rapists were waiting. And he did it in the dark, on his stumps.

It is beyond a joke.

Are you not able to negotiate your way from your bed to the loo without turning the light on at night?

Someone being able to navigate their own bedroom in the dark is not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That is simply not true. Google the layout of Oscar's pad and you will get an even better idea of how ludicrous his story is. He had to make two 'blind' right turns into a darkened area where he thought murderers and rapists were waiting. And he did it in the dark, on his stumps.

It is beyond a joke.

It is true. He didnt have to leave the bedroom per se. He didn't have to walk down a dark corridor. He walked past a few cupboards into the en suite bathroom.

I agree with everything you're saying by the way, just pointing out that to make it even worse he didn't have to 'go out of the bedroom' and walk down a dark corridor and take two blind turns.

Pistorius-floorplan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

robinph wrote: »
    There are holes in both stories.

There are far more in OP's version. There's more holes in it than a crocheted swiss cheese. It is an utterly, utterly ridiculous tale. And that's why he is now guilty of murder.

People still claiming that it's plausible and on equal footing with the much more likely version of the events are either staggering obdurate or staggeringly gullible. I can't decide which is worse. The fact that it couldn't be disproven shouldn't and doesn't make it believeable. It can be a good tell to monitor if someone's story changes, but it's not foolproof. It's very possible to rehearse your story extremely well, and not only that, it's very possible to start to believe your own version of events. I mean, it's up to you if you think it's still believe it's plausible or still want to believe it is, but the people who don't think it is are not fantasists and they are not pitchfork-wielders.

The link a few posts back is quite excellent. It absolutely nails the ridculousness of OP's story. I know I keep saying forms of the word 'ridiculous' but that is because I'm incredulous that any intelligent adult would believe it. Harsh, but just how I feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    It is true. He didnt have to leave the bedroom per se. He didn't have to walk down a dark corridor. He walked past a few cupboards into the en suite bathroom.

I agree with everything you're saying by the way, just pointing out that to make it even worse he didn't have to 'go out of the bedroom' and walk down a dark corridor and take two blind turns.

Pistorius-floorplan.jpg

This ginormous link is a much easier plan to read (I hope). He would have had to turn right after the cupboards, and the sink / shower area would also have been blind to him as he headed towards the toilet. In the dark, on his stumps, and he scared out of his wits. What a man.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=floor+plan+of+OScar+Pistorius+apartment&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&imgil=UbcOCSU16J6TFM%253A%253Bna6fB_7C06suwM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%25252Fnews%25252Farticle-2281531%25252FOscar-Pistorius-Murder-trial-witness-claims-lengthy-gap-bursts-gunfire.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=UbcOCSU16J6TFM%253A%252Cna6fB_7C06suwM%252C_&usg=__Q0TcCX8C4Si7wdN23Cg-sOGCZKM%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjJ1ZOn2czJAhXJox4KHcWPDnMQyjcIJg&ei=JwdnVommCMnHesWfupgH#imgrc=Us_gDOZNztObXM%3A&usg=__Q0TcCX8C4Si7wdN23Cg-sOGCZKM%3D

Edit: I take your point that it is an ensuite, just not one your typical Semi-D dweller would be familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Are you not able to negotiate your way from your bed to the loo without turning the light on at night?

Someone being able to navigate their own bedroom in the dark is not unusual.

Yep. I don't do it though when there are rapists and murderers taking a dump in my loo. When they are in there I always turn on the lights, wake up the missus and we run screaming out of the house. The kids can fend for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    There are far more in OP's version. There's more holes in it than a crocheted swiss cheese. It is an utterly, utterly ridiculous tale.

That may be the case.
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    And that's why he is now guilty of murder.

..but his story has not been proven to be false, and the believability or not of his story is not the reason that he is now found guilty of murder.

He is now found guilty of murder because he shot at a door of a bathroom behind which there was a person who is now dead and it was reasonable to believe that shooting at the door would result in the death of the person behind it. Therefore murder.

His story has not been proven wrong. The prosecutions story has not been proven right, and their version of events was equally Swiss cheese like. Neither of the two extremes of dodgy storys were required to find him guilty of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This ginormous link is a much easier plan to read (I hope). He would have had to turn right after the cupboards, and the sink / shower area would also have been blind to him as he headed towards the toilet. In the dark, on his stumps, and he scared out of his wits. What a man.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=floor+plan+of+OScar+Pistorius+apartment&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&imgil=UbcOCSU16J6TFM%253A%253Bna6fB_7C06suwM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%25252Fnews%25252Farticle-2281531%25252FOscar-Pistorius-Murder-trial-witness-claims-lengthy-gap-bursts-gunfire.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=UbcOCSU16J6TFM%253A%252Cna6fB_7C06suwM%252C_&usg=__Q0TcCX8C4Si7wdN23Cg-sOGCZKM%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjJ1ZOn2czJAhXJox4KHcWPDnMQyjcIJg&ei=JwdnVommCMnHesWfupgH#imgrc=Us_gDOZNztObXM%3A&usg=__Q0TcCX8C4Si7wdN23Cg-sOGCZKM%3D

Edit: I take your point that it is an ensuite, just not one your typical Semi-D dweller would be familiar with.

We're agreeing on the same thing alright, just was pointing out that he didn't actually have to leave his bedroom to walk down a dark corridor, that the bathroom was ensuite.

Thing that struck me as well is when he shoots at the toilet door and returns to the bedroom, he notices Reeva is not in the bed. He automatically assumes it must have been her in the toilet and opens up the patio door and shouts for help. When he noticed her missing would he not have immediately gone/shouted downstairs to see if she had fled the room ?? Make sure she was ok in another part of the house? He immediately put 2+2 together of what had happened despite the pressure he was under and the supposed threat to his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

That may be the case.

..but his story has not been proven to be false, and the believability or not of his story is not the reason that he is now found guilty of murder.

He is now found guilty of murder because he shot at a door of a bathroom behind which there was a person who is now dead and it was reasonable to believe that shooting at the door would result in the death of the person behind it. Therefore murder.

His story has not been proven wrong. The prosecutions story has not been proven right, and their version of events was equally Swiss cheese like. Neither of the two extremes of dodgy storys were required to find him guilty of murder.

Oy vey. OK, you think his story is not the more unbeliveable of the two, good for you. I've clearly stated all along that the prosecution's story could not be proven right, but equally as implausible? Not a hope. It just couldn't be proven right, that's all. But like I said, it's up to you what you want to believe. I guess this facet of human nature is the reason debating clubs exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

That may be the case.

His story has not been proven wrong. The prosecutions story has not been proven right, and their version of events was equally Swiss cheese like.

out of curiosity, do you believe his version of events? If you are willing to answer please don't go down some long winded explanation of legal mumbo jumbo and if this or that and not having enough to convict him, I'm just curious do you actually believe Pistorius' version of events of what happened?

out of curiosity, do you believe his version of events? If you are willing to answer please don't go down some long winded explanation of legal mumbo jumbo and if this or that and not having enough to convict him, I'm just curious do you actually believe Pistorius' version of events of what happened?

I see no reason to disbelieve his version of events.

I see plenty of reasons not to believe Detective Bothas version of events that he came up with within a couple of hours of the shooting when they didn't even have any of the circumstantial evidence that the prosecution then tried to use in court.

I would be perfectly happy to accept the prosecution version if they had anything to suggest that it was more than just from the imagination of Detective Botha.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Looks like that's his last shot out the window, or through the bathroom door more like

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35720684

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Will he still be required to only serve 1/6 of the new sentence he gets? Wouldn't be much time at all if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Will he still be required to only serve 1/6 of the new sentence he gets? Wouldn't be much time at all if that were the case.

Would you prefer that he was treated differently to the rest of the convict population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

He will probably be sentenced to between 10 and 12 years, because of time served etc. and he will allowed out after half his sentence, on good behavior. That's the rules in S. A. 5-6 YEARS PRISON TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/africa/oscar-pistorius/pistorius-beat-reeva-steenkamp-with-cricket-bat-before-shooting-her-dead-shocking-new-book-claims-34650678.html

This just popped up on my Facebook feed - make of it what you will.

Personally I'd take it with a pinch of salt.....none of it ever came up in the trial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Personally I'd take it with a pinch of salt.....none of it ever came up in the trial

If true and I have no problem believing it to be honest, how could this not have been used?

Did the police think it was an open and shut case and not bother giving all the details?

Were the prosecution unware of these?

Is it possible for the prosecution to be as incompetent as that? We know the initial investigating officer was an idiot, but were the entire rest of the police force and the lawyers that useless as well?

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    If true and I have no problem believing it to be honest, how could this not have been used?

Did the police think it was an open and shut case and not bother giving all the details?

Were the prosecution unware of these?
    Is it possible for the prosecution to be as incompetent as that? We know the initial investigating officer was an idiot, but were the entire rest of the police force and the lawyers that useless as well?

Based on what we saw of Gerrie Nel during the trial, I would find hard to believe he could make that big of a blunder tbh.

If the details in this new book were true, and Nel knew about them, I think we can all agree he would have torn Pistorius to shreds on the stand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Based on what we saw of Gerrie Nel during the trial, I would find hard to believe he could make that big of a blunder tbh.

If the details in this new book were true, and Nel knew about them, I think we can all agree he would have torn Pistorius to shreds on the stand.

Indeed, this just looks like an attempt to make some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Just as a waiter does not bait a line for the fish he serves a client nor pick the parsley that decorates the dish, Gerri Nel did not gather evidence. He presented the findings of the investigators to the best of his ability. Investigators in SA are poorly paid and Pistorius's family is very wealthy. From the very outset there were people actively working against the forces of law and order to an extent that is difficult to accept as accidental or blameless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Gerrie Nel is some man. The Prison health manager loves the word "true".

I think there is no chance of OP going back to Jail.

The same judge again, I think she will be as lenient as possible.

That was a pathetic attempt to garner sympathy for OP who is apparently too ill to testify as he is a 'broken man' but ok to parade around in front of the court during Roux' heads of argument on his stumps, wobbling and crying.

I hope this kind of stunt does not work on the judge, But I think she fall for it & will not send him back to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I saw footage of his ex-girlfriend on Sky News. She sure dodged a bullet...

storker wrote: »
    I saw footage of his ex-girlfriend on Sky News. She sure dodged a bullet...

Which Ex?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    That was a pathetic attempt to garner sympathy for OP who is apparently too ill to testify as he is a 'broken man' but ok to parade around in front of the court during Roux' heads of argument on his stumps, wobbling and crying.

I hope this kind of stunt does not work on the judge, But I think she fall for it & will not send him back to jail.

He really is a maggot of a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I loved the way Nel pulled him up when he said he was too ill to speak before the court, then went out and did an interview with BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/watch-the-oscar-pistorius-interview

The TV interview is interesting for anyone who's interested in watching it.. Heavily edited and cut to be part of a documentary type show. I wonder if people will perceive it in a different way to how they would have if it had simply been shown as a straight question/answer piece.
    For my part, I think Pistorius is remorseful and deeply regrets what he did. However, it can't hide the fact that his story is, in my opinion, unbelievable and basically a lie. He's being sentenced tomorrow and the consensus seems to be that he'll get 10-15 years, being available for parole after six.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

I agree that he is full of regret and remorse.

He has stuck to the same story since the first witnesses arrived on the scene right up to now, but that doesn't mean it is not a lie. I almost felt sorry for him during the interview but then thought of Reeva, June and Barry and didn't feel sorry for him.

It will be interesting to see what sentence he gets, it is due very shortly...

Advertisement