Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2016 *Warning Post #15*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

What happened with Trioki? Was giving the umpire an earful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

paulie21 wrote: »
    What happened with Trioki? Was giving the umpire an earful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

That was shambolic from Muguruzu today, absolutely rotten performance.

I seen the Troicki rant, not sure either what caused it, but as Troicki is a twat. I am team umpire.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I seen the Troicki incident. Serve was called in by umpire. Vik thought it looked out so ran to grab the ball from the kid and said that there was "no white" on it so the serve should have been out. Umpire stood by his call so MP to Ramos-Vinolas. Viktor hits the next serve past the baseline so RV wins. Continued to rant at the umpire at the end, calling him the, "worst umpire ever" among other things.

It was a old school McEnroe style rant.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Been looking forward to the konta bouchard match.

16 seeds gone today and radwanska in trouble

Floppybits wrote: »
    16 seeds gone today and radwanska in trouble

Radwanska 5-3 down serving to stay in the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Seeds going out all over the place today. Bottom half of women's draw looks wide open. Venus or Lisicki are likely semi-finalists IMO and perhaps Halep/ Keys/ Kerber from top of bottom half for the other SF spot.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Seeds going out all over the place today. Bottom half of women's draw looks wide open. Venus or Lisicki are likely semi-finalists IMO and perhaps Halep/ Keys/ Kerber from top of bottom half for the other SF spot.

Could be a good shout there. One of those players who's kind of a wildcard (especially given how awful she's played) but on her day can beat anyone.

Radwanska broke back to level it at 5-all.

• Advertisement

RosyLily wrote: »
    Could be a good shout there. One of those players who's kind of a wildcard (especially given how awful she's played) but on her day can beat anyone.

Radwanska broke back to level it at 5-all.

From what stousr said after the match that lisicki servre was unstoppable today. Its pity lisicki can't play like that in the other tournaments.

Floppybits wrote: »
    From what stousr said after the match that lisicki servre was unstoppable today. Its pity lisicki can't play like that in the other tournaments.

Definitely! Anytime I see her play and she's smashing her serve I'm always thinking "Whyyyy can't you do that more often?!?" :mad: She could win Wimbledon imo.

Radwanska now 7-6 ahead against Konjuh with the Croatian serving to stay in it. Has turned out to be a really good match!

Why bouchard playing in her négligé? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Lisicki is one of my favourite players to watch on grass. I support her every year at Wimbledon and she seems to really bring her best there and clearly loves the tournament. It's a pity the rest of the year is a bit of a disaster for her. Could definitely see a Kerber/Lisicki semi final.

This Konta/Bouchard is really compelling stuff. Fantastic high quality tennis from both players. Good to see Bouchard competing well again and Konta's improvement is remarkable- strong all round player with a brilliant power and a great serve.

Lisicki is one of my favourite players to watch on grass. I support her every year at Wimbledon and she seems to really bring her best there and clearly loves the tournament. It's a pity the rest of the year is a bit of a disaster for her. Could definitely see a Kerber/Lisicki semi final.

This Konta/Bouchard is really compelling stuff. Fantastic high quality tennis from both players. Good to see Bouchard competing well again and Konta's improvement is remarkable- strong all round player with a brilliant power and a great serve.

I think lisicki knows this is the one slam she can win and she gears her year around it. Its a pity because i think she can be in contention in other tournaments with her game.

Maybe she should hire konta's mental health coach.

Radwanska defeats Konjuh after 2hrs 35 mins - 6-2, 4-6, 9-7.

• Advertisement

Radwanska defeats Konjuh after 2hrs 35 mins - 6-2, 4-6, 9-7.

Somewhat hollow of a win as Konjuh was dead towards the end after her fall, definitely would have retired if it was not a Slam.

I like Aggie, but she really shouldn't win this outright.

Konta in big trouble here. Great to see bouchard playing well again

Great win for bouchard

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thiem in big trouble here. 2 sets down, TB in the third......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bouchard looks to be back to her 2014 self, even looks slightly happier on court than she used to. Nice to see.

Thiem out. Not that surprising, he's been playing nearly every week this year. Bit of a break will do him no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

I seen the Troicki incident. Serve was called in by umpire. Vik thought it looked out so ran to grab the ball from the kid and said that there was "no white" on it so the serve should have been out. Umpire stood by his call so MP to Ramos-Vinolas. Viktor hits the next serve past the baseline so RV wins. Continued to rant at the umpire at the end, calling him the, "worst umpire ever" among other things.

It was a old school McEnroe style rant.:pac:

Yeah, at the end of the game, he went to shake hands with Ramos-Viñolas then continued chewing out the umpire. :pac:

Maireadio wrote: »
    Yeah, at the end of the game, he went to shake hands with Ramos-Viñolas then continued chewing out the umpire. :pac:

That's dedication. :D

Gutted for Konjuh. She had that match, so unlucky to take a tumble, and a bad one at that. Aga plays Cibulkova next.

Happy to see Bouchard looking happy. Last year she looked so miserable and it was uncomfortable watching some of her matches as it looked like she might burst into tears any second. Glad to see she's overcome her difficulties.

Del Potro v Stan up first on Centre court tomorrow, think Stan wins easily enough, but would love to be wrong.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Del Potro v Stan up first on Centre court tomorrow, think Stan wins easily enough, but would love to be wrong.

Yeah. Pretty gutted that Delpo's draw is so bad. Finally seems to be fit again and he gets Stan. He'd have the beating of Stan if he hadn't been out so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Why was Troicki shouting at the umpire only a few feet away? He wanted everyone to hear him is what. Just looking for some attention.
    Sabine is my favourite female tennis player. When she's on she's great entertainment to watch. I love viewing her attacking tennis over someone like Niculescu and she'd probably lose against her away from Wimbledon. The courts are too slow in general and more should be done to help attacking players, but that's another debate.

Can't wait for Stan vs Delpo today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

To be fair were at the end of week one and weve barely seen two big players face off, although simon v dimitrov yesterday was decent. Im excited for this one. Id love for del potro just to win the first and set it up well

MrKingsley wrote: »
    To be fair were at the end of week one and weve barely seen two big players face off, although simon v dimitrov yesterday was decent. Im excited for this one. Id love for del potro just to win the first and set it up well

That's the point of seeding though, big players aren't supposed to face off until the second week.

It's a rarity to see two big players in R2 unless someone's been injured or slumped, in which case it's usually a bit one sided. Dimitrov winning yesterday was a shocker, he's been rubbish for ages.

That's the point of seeding though, big players aren't supposed to face off until the second week.

It's a rarity to see two big players in R2 unless someone's been injured or slumped, in which case it's usually a bit one sided. Dimitrov winning yesterday was a shocker, he's been rubbish for ages.

Yeah i understand the seeding process. But we wouldve at least seen a few matches in R2 with two established players in most GS. Its more so the rain that screwed it but weve just had 4 days of foreplay essentially whereas I usually enjoy the first week

On another note. Ive been watching all week without any commentary and just the sounds of the match. Its so refreshing just to watch the game and not have to listen to all the bullsh1t stats and 'expertise' that goes with it

MrKingsley wrote: »
    On another note. Ive been watching all week without any commentary and just the sounds of the match. Its so refreshing just to watch the game and not have to listen to all the bullsh1t stats and 'expertise' that goes with it

Definitely, I turn the sound down and only turn it up if someone's having a row with the umpire :D

Inverdale on BBC still saying game instead of match :rolleyes: and some Australian woman was calling Bencic everything under the sun the other day, Banch-itch, bench-itch, bank-ick.... etc. etc.

No backhand=no chance for Del Potro:(

Also, obvious but good point, will be interesting to see what happens.
    Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 14m Wandsworth, London
    If rain persists, keeping play off outers, no way should Federer-Evans R3 begin under a roof if other R2s haven't started. #Wimbledon

• Advertisement

One set each. Really enjoyable match to watch. Both of them really trying to play aggressively

Rjd2 wrote: »
    No backhand=no chance for Del Potro:(

Also, obvious but good point, will be interesting to see what happens.

So far they've been sure to be fair to players in regards to delays. The extra matches added to CC at the end of a few days were ones that needed to be played to finish out rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

This is a great match so far. Hard to call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Wow ... Delps back!!!

Really missing not having BBC to watch this :( , nothing beats the BBC coverage ..

Hate missing this match. Going to have to watch the highlights later.

Wawrinka showing a few cracks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Delpo serving for the match now, hope he pulls it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Delighted to see Juan Martin Del Potro back and winning big matches.

So happy for him. In his interview there he comes across as such a nice guy who really appreciates everything he has and has had to work for. I would love to see him go far next week

• Advertisement

So happy for Delpo!! He deserved that win and I hope it's the start of many. That forehand from JM is something else!:eek: Some excellent rallies between both players. Not often you see someone hitting harder than Stan. He'll play either Young or Pouille next - possibly tomorrow.

According to BBC, the organisers are talking about playing on Sunday. Would be the first time that happens since 2004. Lindsay Davenport was saying that she played her R2 match on Saturday during the washout of 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Brown vs Kyrgios is great fun!

I find Brown a bit annoying, same as Monfils.

They're entertaining to watch but it never looks like they're taking it seriously. Which is fine, I suppose, but with Monflis especially you can't help thinking he could have had a much better career if he'd stopped messing around.

Kyrgios also allowing himself to be dragged into the silly shots and pretty much tanking a set earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Poor Venus, match point and now there's a rain delay.

I don't know how they'll get all the matches up to date. Juniors starting next week - that'll put pressure on the organisers. Good few players will probably play several days in a row, especially if they're playing doubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Cmon McHale!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Classy.

Serena has another gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has Brown/Kyrgios not started up again yet?

Was watching it on the red button earlier, really do NOT want to miss the end of it!

ETA - hah, cancel that - no sooner had I posted than there it was on the list, they're warming up. Bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

This is great tennis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement